Paragon

May 16

May 16

The Last of Us Cutscene: The Sky Has Turned Grey

Eric Monacelli's Avatar Posted by Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

It’s been nearly six months since we announced The Last of Us and development has been a bustling beehive of activity. If you picked up the March 2012 issue of Game Informer or saw any of the online coverage, you might have read about Joel and Ellie’s visit to an abandoned city. Today, we are excited to share a very fresh, very provocative video that should answer some of your questions about what went down inside those city walls. You’ll get an idea of what it takes to be a survivor in Joel and Ellie’s heartless new world.

Joel and Ellie won’t have an easy road ahead of them. Their path across the US will intersect with other survivors, some of whom won’t be friendly. In this scene set to the somber chords of Hank Williams, Sr., Joel and Ellie continue their journey west in a battered pickup truck. As they drive towards the next destination on their route, and hopefully a place to find critical resources, the pair encounters a group of hunters. What happens next is something you have to witness to understand. Check it out in the video above.

What you watched here is only a peek into how alone and forsaken this world has become. Be ready for things to get much worse.

If you missed any of Game Informer’s coverage of The Last of Us, be sure to dive in — we have so much more to show you and you won’t want to miss any of the backstory. Most recently, Game Director Bruce Straley and Creative Director Neil Druckmann spoke with IGN and answered some questions about the game. Be sure to read it! We can’t wait to share this genre-defining game with you.

The hounds have started to bay. Get prepared for E3 in early June and the growing news storm in the months to come!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

TwinDad said:

May 16th, 12:15 pm

Need gameplay video please.

tusunami said:

May 16th, 12:51 pm

This is why I am inspired to go to school for Game& Art design!!!!!!!!!

TMAZT3R said:

May 16th, 1:00 pm

@45 You just made me crazy.

TMAZT3R said:

May 16th, 1:00 pm

@52 that is my dream too!!!

krae_man said:

May 16th, 1:06 pm

@cosmis_chaos I’ll give you a few

1) While ducking behind the window air conditioners or whatever you call the cover while climbing up structures my gun was often not pointing where my reticle was

2) The first time I was escaping the city while it was falling into the sink hole the sand and the rest of the scripting didn’t happen. I was escaping with nothing happening around me until I fell through a platform and died. Then when I restarted the sand started moving the platforms, stuff started falling etc like it was supposed to.

3) In the shipyard Nate didn’t grab a couple ledges he was supposed to automatically and as a result the game freaked out(because it was supposed to be impossible to die from falling in that way since grabbing ledges is automatic) and just warped me a few ledges down(I’m assuming at the next checkpoint).

4) I had the game straight crash on me

5) A friend of mine successfully took out a room with stealth and was unable to continue as a result. He had to fire his gun to open the flood gates of enemies and kill all of them too for the next cut scene to trigger.

CubanRatMan said:

May 16th, 2:08 pm

great game

heyustfu said:

May 16th, 2:39 pm

Uncharted survival horror. LOVE IT

cosmis_chaos said:

May 16th, 3:00 pm

@ ReptileHand. Ummmm… no one cares when or if you buy it. Stop talking

cosmis_chaos said:

May 16th, 3:08 pm

@ krae_man. Oh my God that is infinitely more glitches and flaws then most modern games have. That is even more then Bethesda and EA games have combined. I apologize. You are a very right. ND are such horrible developers. Lets boycott this game until they fix it to match your version of what a ‘perfect game’ will be. In fact they should just scrap Last of Us because you think it might have glitches.My God you may have hit the nail on the head. ND are such slackers. In fact I am going to put them right above Bethesda as making the glitchiest game EVER. I will make sure and call up the Guinness Book of Records and make sure and name all the things you pointed out. I am sure they will be impressed. I mean I am sorry for even doubting your cleverness. Nate didn’t grab a few ledges? This is astronomical. ND should be ashamed and quit right now and send everyone home.

bigblackjoe1 said:

May 16th, 5:24 pm

Sony is just amazing just look at the new games and new surprises its bringing out all i want to say is that u guys are amazing thank u for all that u guys have done for us psn users anyway peace out guys l8r :)

biggunner7 said:

May 16th, 6:00 pm

Naughty Dog I loved Uncharted 1,2,3. Once I can I will be putting down a pre-order for The Last of Us,thanks for the great games Naughty Dog.

plaztiksyke said:

May 16th, 6:23 pm

They redid the character, and it’s still all white people? and they are all straight too, right? yawn.

At least TellTale understands the need for more diversity in characters, as proven in their Walking Dead game.

Forget traditional multiplayer, focus on consistent characters and story. If Sony is intent on “long tail”, make it episodic like Heavy Rain was supposed to be.

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

Eric Monacelli said:

May 17th, 12:13 am

It’s early yet. We’ve just begun to show you what’s in store in The Last of Us.

bestshot22 said:

May 16th, 7:02 pm

looks awesome cant wait to play it.

Jedah_PR said:

May 16th, 7:25 pm

Hurry up ND; take my money NOW!

LordRaoh said:

May 16th, 7:44 pm

So awesome.

This is from the gameinformer demo they played and covered isn’t it? I can not wait to get this game in my hands.

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

Eric Monacelli said:

May 17th, 12:11 am

Yup. It’s something Game Informer wrote about in March but it’s been updated a bit.

C_Y_P_H_E_R said:

May 16th, 8:01 pm

I pre-ordered it a few weeks ago. I’d like to get some free avatars or something for doing so!

Tremulan777 said:

May 16th, 8:06 pm

This game looks amazing. I hope can see some gameplay it looks very promising

Kid_Grim said:

May 16th, 8:14 pm

Wow this game looks absolutely amazing, I don’t suppose there is a multi-player element to this game? Either way it’s a must have game for my collection.

Jadehope said:

May 16th, 10:40 pm

This is easily my most anticipated game right now. I really hope Joel and/or Ellie appear in Playstation All-Stars as well. They can use wood planks as basic weapons and infect others with fugal spores for their level 3 special. lolz. (^_^)

luvtoseek said:

May 16th, 11:40 pm

@50, uh, what a terrible comment. I’m not even going to bother…

Hi Eric, any chance there might be a novel release, like for the Uncharted series? Really looks fantastic… I know TLoU universe can be further explored through other mediums.

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

Eric Monacelli said:

May 17th, 12:12 am

Thanks! Of course we’ll see what opportunities are out there for The Last of Us but no plans for anything quite yet!

Berae said:

May 17th, 6:30 am

Cant wait!

Profane-lite said:

May 17th, 8:05 pm

I am usually down for anything in a post-apocalyptic setting, but recent games (like Rage) have rather soured me. I’m glad this looks different. If the caliber of the voice actor is anything to go by, this game might be worth a pre-order. He’s fantastic, by the way. Fits the look of the character perfectly.

I hope you guys use the same music as used in the trailer. Hank Williams Sr., Johnny Cash, etc. Really fits it, gives it a dark, twisting mood.

oo7PorscheMGS said:

May 17th, 8:43 pm

TRYING not to watching anything more about The Last Of Us. ( AND FAILING!!!!!!!! ;)

I already know it’s gonna be awesome (like uncharted / anything else naughty dog does..), but I can’t help but watch a little…

NAUGHTY DOGS, STOP MAKING TRAILERS!!!!! Thank you :)

Heavenly_king said:

May 18th, 8:20 am

LOOKS AMAZING!!!

ccrogers15 said:

May 19th, 8:19 pm

Naughty dog, please help SONY and also port it to vita. The vita is failing cause no good mainstream titles are there.

PAGE 1 2