PS3-TLOU Left Behind

The Creatures of Sorcery

Brian Upton's Avatar + Posted by Brian Upton on May 17, 2012 // Creative Director, Sorcery, SCEA Santa Monica Studio

In this new behind-the-scenes video, our final installment of our four-part series detailing the making of Sorcery, we discuss what it took to create the game’s vast, magical universe. You’ll gain insight into the numerous creative decisions that we had to make, such as crafting the look and feel of the different environments — from The Realm of the Dead to the Faerie Forest — and the strange and dangerous beasts that inhabit them. You’ll hear from the development team on how we went about making a fantasy world feel otherworldly, details on the backstory behind places like the Endless Stair and the Faerie Forest, and some anecdotes on why the prettiest character in Sorcery is also one of the most dangerous!

Sorcery hits store shelves next week, Tuesday, May 22nd. For more info on this eagerly anticipated PlayStation Move title, visit our official site.

+ IM_RICK_GRIMES on May 17th, 2012 at 9:03 am said:

will this be available to buy on PSN?

Brian Upton's Avatar

+ Brian Upton on May 17th, 2012 at 11:20 am said:

Okay, I’ve gotten confirmation from my corporate overlords that I’m allow to say this:

Yes, Sorcery will be available at launch on PSN!

+ BriarPatch512 on May 17th, 2012 at 9:08 am said:

Can’t wait to give this one a go!

+ Butters360 on May 17th, 2012 at 9:08 am said:

I can’t wait. I’ve been itching to play this for a long time!

+ Richlando on May 17th, 2012 at 9:14 am said:

Ok since SCEE gets to preorder and preload Sorcery someone care to tell us in SCEA land if this is happening for us? If this is retail only I am seriously disappointed. I bought my Move for this game..and I’m guessing several others did as well. I don’t mind the wait if the digital version is going to be delayed for SCEA just so long as it happens. Otherwise “One Playstation” doesn’t sound like a real initiative as Kaz says it will be..

+ shortyvs on May 17th, 2012 at 9:20 am said:

I’ve got my pre-order all set. Can’t wait to finally get this.

+ Smert_ on May 17th, 2012 at 9:32 am said:

This game is going to be so much fun- I can’t wait for the UPS guy to knock on my door next Tuesday and hand me my pre-order! Thanks for these dev diaries- I love watching all the behind the scenes moments and learning more about the world you created for this game

+ papolatte on May 17th, 2012 at 9:46 am said:

I really feel that this title would be perfect on the PS Vita. Using the touch screen or rear pad to cast the spells or something.

I don’t have a PS Move, but I do have a Vita.

You see what I’m sayin’ guys? Port this to the Vita, and I will give you all hugs.

+ Wozman23 on May 17th, 2012 at 9:54 am said:

I’m glad this is releasing the same day as Ghost Recon. A few days ago I realized the store I preordered at is having a midnight release for it. I get to be ‘that guy’ who attends to pick up a completely different game. It’s a role I often play.

Brian Upton's Avatar

+ Brian Upton on May 17th, 2012 at 10:19 am said:

LOL … it so happens I was the lead designer on the original Ghost Recon back when I was with Red Storm.

I want Ubisoft to sell lots and lots of copies of the new GR because it makes me look good even though I’ve had absolutely nothing to do with the franchise for the last ten years … . :-)

+ mcbuttz78 on May 17th, 2012 at 9:55 am said:

rated 5 stars.. That is all :)

Mcbuttz78
vp-psn legioniaree group

+ acwey on May 17th, 2012 at 10:14 am said:

@ 1 + IM_RICK_GRIMES

I heard there will not only be a PSN version but also a Pre-Download steam style for us.

I hope it’s true.

+ guitarded77 on May 17th, 2012 at 10:24 am said:

I pre-ordered this game a long, LONG time ago… can’t wait to finally play it on Tuesday. The PS B;og has been heavily promoting Sorcery, I really hope it gets people talking about Move again.

+ IM_RICK_GRIMES on May 17th, 2012 at 10:45 am said:

@ 10 + acwey

they only announced that for SCEE region not SCEA

+ luvtoseek on May 17th, 2012 at 10:46 am said:

Brain, thanks for the post. This is mostly for my cousin, who just loves the premise of this title.

+ supermoc10 on May 17th, 2012 at 10:56 am said:

Hey Brian, the game is looking better and better!
I’ll buy this game and I’ll also buy Ghost Recon Future Soldier on the same day.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on May 17th, 2012 at 11:19 am said:

This game looks amazing..hopefully the gameplay is amazing aswell..kinda sucks it only for MOVE controllers..im pretty sure it would sell very well if it had the option to play with DualShock 3 controllers :/ oh well theres always a chance of an update.Keep up the good work SONY and Santa Monica Studios..i shall be purchasing this game just to get my grove on with the MOVE :p

+ Richlando on May 17th, 2012 at 11:29 am said:

@Brian Upton Thank you for the confirmation sir.

+ MPaullin on May 17th, 2012 at 12:18 pm said:

Hmm… if it will be on PSN Tuesday, will there be a trial for PS+ (as there often is for full games)? Or perhaps there will be a demo?

+ acwey on May 17th, 2012 at 12:24 pm said:

@ Brian Upton

Thanks for the confirmation. Terrific news!!!!

+ lisatsunami on May 17th, 2012 at 12:31 pm said:

Yes, Sorcery always gets an automatic 5 bars from me. Thank you, corporate overlords, for allowing Brian to spill the beans.

Sorry, Amazon, canceling my pre-order & paying 100% to PSN.

+ tusunami on May 17th, 2012 at 12:45 pm said:

Finally a original title built from the ground up for the Ps move,keep em coming!!!!!!!!!!

+ khknight on May 17th, 2012 at 1:10 pm said:

Serious question, how good is the enemy AI? Do they actually try to avoid your attacks and change their strategies depending on what you do? or do they all mindlessly rush at you? Because sadly, that is all I saw from the recent sorcery vids.

Brian Upton's Avatar

+ Brian Upton on May 17th, 2012 at 3:06 pm said:

Enemies early in the game tend to rush you, while enemies later on tend to use more complicated tactics like dodging, darting in and out of cover, and leading the player into ambushes. Of course we still have some enemies that rush you later in the game, just because it puts you under time pressure to deal with them before they bash your head in.

+ YungShep on May 17th, 2012 at 1:56 pm said:

SORCERY IS THE SOLE REASON I BOUGHT A PS MOVE! ALTHOUGH I’VE PLAYED OTHER GEMS W/MOVE…INFAMOUS 2, KILLZONE 3, SOCOM 4 TO NAME A FEW

+ acwey on May 17th, 2012 at 1:59 pm said:

@ 21 + khknight

This is a dungeon crawler, like Diablo 3. Not a shooter.

I’ve been playing Diablo 3 as a wizard, the danger is in the number of enemies, and they do mindlessly rush at you in that game. Even than the game will get a 9 or a 10 on the reviews, and I will agree.

So my point is, if the comparison is indeed accurate, there is no reason why you shouldn’t enjoy this game, unless you are not into dungeon crawlers.

Brian Upton's Avatar

+ Brian Upton on May 17th, 2012 at 3:12 pm said:

Actually, we drew heavily on shooter design for many of the enemies and set-ups. A lot of the attackers you’re fighting are ranged — spell-casters and archers and bomb-throwers. You spend as much time dodging and taking cover as you do casting spells. There are a couple of crowd-control tactics you can use if you get mobbed, but mostly you’re fighting against enemies who keep their distance.

+ ATES on May 17th, 2012 at 3:01 pm said:

Happy I am done with classes so I do not put off hours of work to play hours of this,

+ cosmis_chaos on May 17th, 2012 at 6:31 pm said:

I am liking how this game is coming along. Your Celtic style and organic structures are beautiful and I can see those fairies are going to be a pain in the neck. I hope people can see the work you put into it and don’t let every tiny flaw or detail drag it down like people did with Okami.Good Luck to you

+ DRAQ-520 on May 17th, 2012 at 8:32 pm said:

This game looks really good, will it have a bundle? because I don’t have a move and I’m considering on getting one for this game, Littlebigplanet 2 and Bioshock infinite.

+ GroovyJooky on May 17th, 2012 at 10:33 pm said:

love it.

+ Elvick_ on May 18th, 2012 at 12:23 am said:

I can’t wait! Been playing PS Move games a lot lately getting used to the button layout again to get ready for this. <3

@26: I've seen a bundle with the Navigation controller, but not one with Move itself.

+ Chuckbait on May 19th, 2012 at 9:37 am said:

The game launches on PSN on tuesday, but how large of a file size is the game?

+ BEEFSTEWONU on May 20th, 2012 at 12:33 pm said:

is sorcery going to have a new game plus feature and is the game going to have a lot of exploration ? I have been waiting since e3 2010 an only have 3 days left cant wait hope it is awesome and keeps me playin til i cant see straight.