Driveclub

Borderlands 2: Your Questions Answered

Matt Charles's Avatar + Posted by Matt Charles on May 18, 2012 // Producer of Borderlands 2

Hello again! You were so nice to me the last time around, I thought I’d come back for another visit. We at Gearbox were delighted to see the enthusiastic response to our recent Borderlands 2 posts. But that wasn’t enough. You see, Borderlands 2 is all about MORE. More weapons, more enemies, more story, more environments, and most of all MORE LOOT. A commenter on one of the previous posts said, “You’ll get my pre-order as soon as the collector’s / limited editions are revealed in full.” Well, “Baron_Von_Bonbon,” that day has arrived as we’ve recently announced our Borderlands 2 Deluxe Vault Hunter’s Collector’s Edition and Borderlands 2 Ultimate Loot Chest Limited Edition.

Borderlands 2 PS3 boxartBorderlands 2 PS3 Deluxe Vault

Borderlands 2 PS3 Ultimate Loot Chest

However, you also had more questions, and we have the answers! Character customisation options, voice chat, Mechromancer, a unique reward for Borderlands 1 players – I’ve done my best to answer as many of your questions about Borderlands 2 as possible. Read on…

Can we expect better more consistent framerate this time around? (via @Is_It_JustMe @Iantheausguy)
That’s certainly the plan! We’re entering the phase of development right now where we are focusing on framerate and stability, so it’s too early for me to give any final numbers, but you will see an improvement over the first game.

Can a second player on local splitscreen be logged in to a separate PSN ID and gain Trophies and stats? (via @frag123456)

We’re looking into this as well, but right now the answer is no.

The only important question: will voice communication be fixed? It was unusable in BL1. (via @keithschon)

Good timing – you’ll hopefully be pleased to know that a portion of our programming team is working on voice chat issues right now so they will be working for everyone when the game launches!

Will there be more character customization (individual skills, armor, etc) than in the first one? (via @justtom2012)

You’ll be able to choose from a large variety of swappable heads/hairstyles/headgear in addition to choosing from hundreds of unique color and decal themes, and both together offer a ton of options for customization. As for skills, each class offers a bigger quantity and more interesting variety of skills to choose from in the skill trees.

Borderlands 2 for PS3

Will vehicle-based gameplay be enhanced? It was fairly basic in the original game.

We’re introducing a new vehicle, the Technical, which can hold 4 players at once and also has a few weapon configurations to choose from. Some are better than others depending on the types of enemies you’ll face and the environment you’ll be fighting in. On the other hand, Borderlands is mainly a game about weapons and loot so we don’t want to force people to stay in vehicles for too long.

Will there be a shortcut button for health kits? Going thru your backpack sucks, especially during battles! (via @TheVic82)

Yeah, that sucked. Pausing wasn’t really fun in combat. It was a tough decision, but we decided to remove carryable health packs and instead fill that need with new relics and shields that can help keep you out of that emergency state to begin with. The result is a more fluid combat experience since now you’re not worrying about when the best time to pause the game is and you still get that fun sense of preparing for a battle by choosing the right gear.

Health Packs will still appear and drop and they will now heal you up in the middle of battle.

What enhancements have you made to the weapon interface, inventory, and pickup system?

We have a completely new inventory screen and all of the other interface screens have received various upgrades. There’s a lot more useful data for gear comparison and also more descriptive text on the item cards as well. Having said that, the best way to know what a gun does is to use it – and some weapons are *very* special…

Money and ammo now automatically pick up if dropped from enemies as well!

Borderlands 2 for PS3

Will the environments be more varied, instead of one big desert? (via @DoctorMous3)

Absolutely! We’ve shown a tundra, cavern, grasslands, and Hyperion tech environments so far, but there are many more in the game – I think you’ll enjoy the environmental diversity in BL2.

What are you doing to extend the variety of enemy types and combat encounters?

There are brand new enemy families in Borderlands 2, and the total count of unique enemies (including special elemental variants with unique AI) is in the triple digits. New environments + new enemy types and behaviours = much more varied combat encounters!

So when will we get the Mechromancer class and is it a exclusive to any version of the game ? (via @Tenkisin)

We’re hoping to release her to the world as soon as possible – but we have to get the game through the certification process as right now she only exists as a sketch and we need to finish up Borderlands 2! The good news is that the Mechromancer will be compatible with all versions of the game and she will be free if you preorder at participating retailers through the Borderlands 2 Premiere Club!

Is the story going to be more cut-scene based like UNCHARTED, or more audio log based like the original BL? (via @Ejsponge61)

We’re mixing it up a bit this time: few short cutscenes (and title cards) where necessary, lots of in-game moments, ECHO logs, missions, and environmental storytelling – not to mention the significant NPC improvements we made so it doesn’t just feel like a cardboard cut out of a dude is sending you on a quest.

What’s great is that we catered it towards both audiences that love story telling through NPCs and those who prefer to go kick some ass! If you choose to do the latter, you can run off as the NPC is talking to you and the discussion will appear as an ECHO transmission. No chains attached!

Borderlands 2 for PS3

Will we be able to use custom soundtracks on PS3? (via @Nem0905)

No, but hopefully you’ll like the huge amount of new music we’ve composed just for this game!

Will there be any in-game bonuses in Borderlands 2 if you have a save file and completed the first game? via (@CFinalBlade)

Yes, if we detect a save file from the first game on your console then you’ll be rewarded with a unique swappable head and skin for every class!

Will the max level be past 69? (via @Martothedragon)

We’re balancing the game to cap at level 50; in the first game we ended up pushing the cap to 69 through post-launch patches and DLC. I don’t have DLC plans for Borderlands 2 yet but we tend to want to one-up ourselves each time, so… we’ll see what happens!

44 Comments

+ h4l0fw1nt3r on May 18th, 2012 at 2:03 pm said:

Oh man, the Ultimate Loot Chest Limited Edition looks so awesome. I’m definitely going to try to get that.

+ AizawaYuuichi on May 18th, 2012 at 2:07 pm said:

This has a lot of awesome information. I’m getting more and more pumped for this game as more details are revealed. And while that Loot Chest LE is quite awesome (I WANT THAT CHEST), I think I’m gonna have to go with the $100 Vault Hunter’s CE. $150 is a bit much for me with all the other games coming out around the same time that I’ll be getting. But damn, that chest is pretty! :D

Also, I have to say I love the switch to top/bottom for splitscreen play. The side-by-side in BL1 was a pain to play with.

+ Link01 on May 18th, 2012 at 2:28 pm said:

Awww, after reading the Sly post… I wish this was on the Vita too :(. That would be godly!

+ ArchAngelMai on May 18th, 2012 at 2:31 pm said:

Looking forward to to this. Not sure about the LE due to no mention of prices yet. I could change my mind if they’re. Not too expensive.

+ StealthBlade98 on May 18th, 2012 at 2:46 pm said:

Well the swappable skins and heads wasn’t what I was looking for, more like weapons but I’m happy we get something though :D

Also I’m CFinalBlade or was but i recently changed it to StealthBlade98 so I just wanted to put that out there for anyone wondering why they can’t find my twitter account :)

+ massimodo on May 18th, 2012 at 2:46 pm said:

Randy Pitchford indicated an interest in the vita.

Hi [name withheld],

Thanks for the e-mail – I loved it!

I love the Vita as do a lot of folks at the studio and we have explored this.

We’ll need some partner’s help and partner’s commitments to make this happen. Feel free to let Sony and 2K Games and your favorite retailer know what you think.

Cheers!

- Randy

In other words sony needs to throw some money and development resources their way. Sony’s too busy giving us foosball, a tank AR game and some lame brain training game. Yeah, I really want that stuff, not Borderlands2 on the vita.

+ proskatercam on May 18th, 2012 at 2:53 pm said:

Can we get an approximate size for the loot chest, please? This is a big selling point for some, and we would like an answer if possible. Thank you.

+ ReptileHand on May 18th, 2012 at 3:19 pm said:

I’d like to see how big the loot chest is.

I don’t know why this would be good for Vita. You can’t really wish for things like that. It’s a big game with a lot of multiplayer components. I think it’d be a flop if it went on the Vita. These games are meant for consoles I guess.

Someone answered my tweet and said that the Premiere club is free if I pre-order. Wasn’t really the answer I was looking for. I was wondering if the Premiere club is the ONLY way to get that pre-order DLC. If it’s going to be available after launch then I won’t pre-order. If it’s only exclusive to pre-order… I think I might put one down. Even though I’m in favor of waiting 4 or 5 months for a game to go down to $30-$40 with a GOTY / complete edition. I learned my lesson from last year.

Looking to be a really good game though.

+ ReptileHand on May 18th, 2012 at 3:22 pm said:

oh wait

edit: just read the previous poster.

So he’s interested in the Vita? Ok then! Can’t say I really want it since I have no clue how that would work smoothly. But if they find a way to make it on there. Then the vita will reach a new milestone.

+ Atomika14 on May 18th, 2012 at 3:35 pm said:

I love the desert environments from BL and I really hope there’s more of it this time! Also, I really hope you guys will be implementing PS Move with BL2…

+ Airwalkinman17 on May 18th, 2012 at 3:44 pm said:

this is one of many games that I will buy this year. I loved BL1. I was so surprised at how much I dug that game. If it wasn’t for split screen I don’t think I wouldve enjoyed it as much. So glad to see more and more games incorporating that lately. Also, I heard that this game would allow you to bring you and a split screen partner online with an extra online player? Is that still the case? If so that would be extra awesome.

+ YungShep on May 18th, 2012 at 4:24 pm said:

i feel Baron_Von_Bonbon is the reason behind all the collectors editions now, lol

in Von BonBon we trust

+ TelikoFreedman on May 18th, 2012 at 4:24 pm said:

My question is…
When and where can I order that Ultimate loot box edition.

+ GibbShift on May 18th, 2012 at 4:24 pm said:

Will this title be downloadable on the PlayStation Store Day 1??

+ xxGHOSTFACE9000 on May 18th, 2012 at 4:30 pm said:

If i pre-order Borderlands 2 Deluxe Vault Hunter’s Collector’s Edition or Borderlands 2 Ultimate Loot Chest Limited Edition, Will i still be able to get the Premiere Club

+ luvtoseek on May 18th, 2012 at 5:57 pm said:

Those were decent questions, but here are some more if you’ve got the time Matt:

1) Can you provide another pic of the loot box (I’ve already seen the one w/ the dog), as I still can’t tell what’s it’s made of or how much interior space it has.

2) Can you give us some more details on the Primiere Club?

3) Is it possible to have other stickers instead of 2K or Gearbox? They’re nice but not really the sort you want on a bumper/PC/desk/binder etc. A sticker of an in-game monster or even the logos of those gun companies would be very cool.

4) I don’t need one but some may want it; is there a demo?

5) So surprised a Marcus bobblehead beat out Claptrap; I guess Marcus will play a bigger role in BL2?

Thanks Matt!

Also, wanted to throw in my interest for a port or a lighter version of Borderlands for the Vita. If it ever comes, the game will never leave my memory card! I love looking for better guns!!

+ Ventaur on May 18th, 2012 at 6:38 pm said:

Sounds great! One more question for me though. Is the sniper actually going to be fun to play in single player this time around? I’m sure it was fun with some backup in BL1, but not always the case when flying solo. Every time I walked into a boss fight, I got trapped inside some tight space to go more toe-to-toe. That’s not ideal for my sniper rifle quite honestly, and a pistol only gets you so far.

Thanks!

+ DarkOne_PR on May 18th, 2012 at 7:42 pm said:

HOLY SHlT BORDERLANDS on VITA WOULD BE FOCKING AWESOME! SONY MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!

+ AutomaticOcelot on May 18th, 2012 at 8:26 pm said:

> Money and ammo now automatically pick up if dropped from enemies as well!

NOW the next generation of video games can begin. :D Kick that madness back to the stone age.

+ AutomaticOcelot on May 18th, 2012 at 8:29 pm said:

@16: That is not a photo, that’s a bunch of art assets cobbled into a render. The interior of the box probably isn’t final yet, probably a bunch of mockups on Pitchford’s desk. :)

+ luvtoseek on May 18th, 2012 at 11:39 pm said:

@20, look online, there’s a photo of the loot box w/ a dog in it. Still tough to see the actual size though.

+ Hooligantuan on May 19th, 2012 at 12:39 am said:

My only important question is will Split-Screen Co-Op Players be able to play online with other folks, particularly another set of Split-Screen Co-Op Players for a 4 person group.

This was the only place I found the original Borderlands ridiculously lacking. My girlfriend and I wanted to play with another couple and it just never could happen.

+ AizawaYuuichi on May 19th, 2012 at 12:50 am said:

@luvtoseek: Regarding your second question, google can answer that for you. But I did the leg work already, so here’s a direct link > http://www.borderlands2.com/preorder/
You get the Premier Club bonuses with ANY pre-order, regardless of the edition. It just has to be one of the selected retailers for your region.

+ Elvick_ on May 19th, 2012 at 2:56 am said:

Sounds, and looks great. Loved the first one, granted… I have yet to finish it. xP

I’d love a PS Vita version of Borderlands 2. Man… that would be heaven. One of the reasons I didn’t finish the first, but will eventually, is that I don’t really like being anchored down to a tv for this type of loot game. I like to have some freedom to go where I please. While taking the game with me.

I know people complain about ports, but I don’t care. I value a portable’s freedom. Plus that screen… <3

+ dkenair on May 19th, 2012 at 9:28 am said:

Put this game on the Vita!!

+ PokeYorch on May 19th, 2012 at 10:04 am said:

HI!

the loot chest replica looks incredible!

is a scale replica, but what size is it ?

sorry for my english =P

+ fattytwenty on May 19th, 2012 at 11:40 am said:

In response to the dual sign-in’s question, i have a comment on that subject. i have BL for both systems,(ps3,x360) me and my girlfriend played in split screen. the xbox version let us both attain trophies(achievements) when we unlocked them as we played in split-screen.
Why would it be different on the ps3 version?

+ brAvEhEaRtDC on May 19th, 2012 at 12:03 pm said:

Bordelands 2 gonna rock!
Loot chest looks EPIC

+ that-acmilan-guy on May 19th, 2012 at 1:06 pm said:

I barfed when I heard the song playing in the Dooms day trailer, what was that? I am a metal head, for the love of rock n roll where is heavy metal!? :(

+ that-acmilan-guy on May 19th, 2012 at 1:07 pm said:

Please include dual sign in + LAN Support.

+ massimodo on May 19th, 2012 at 3:20 pm said:

Borderlands 2 with its cel-shaded graphics would look terrific on the vita. Unfortunately, not going to happen due to Sony’s sloth and apparent unwillingness to assist developers. Instead of funding a mediocre shooter like Burning Skies is going to be with its 6 hour single player campaign, throw some money and resources towards Borderlands 2. Money so much better spent, but, hey, sony knows better. After all, what other company went from dominating a console cycle to a distant third place in a single generation. These guys are on the ball, in sony I trust. NOT!

+ Baron_Von_Bonbon on May 19th, 2012 at 4:24 pm said:

O_O I was quoted, my fifteen minutes of fame have arrived!

Regardless, I am a man of my word (and cliches too) so I shall now pre-order. But whichever version shall I get?

+ ElpresidenteNM on May 19th, 2012 at 4:49 pm said:

So I saw the price for the Ultimate Loot Chest Edition was $149.99, but what’s the price for the Deluxe Vault Hunters Edition. Please respond!!!

+ DrunkRaba on May 19th, 2012 at 7:04 pm said:

All over the loot chest edition! Just preordered that bad boy on amazon!

+ luvtoseek on May 19th, 2012 at 10:23 pm said:

@31, you’ve done yourself in Baron, you must own both editions! ;D

@32, it’s $99.99

+ Vortuminius on May 19th, 2012 at 10:24 pm said:

Just as long as the saves are less volatile than BL1, I think I’ll be very happy with this game.

+ GoddessYurlee on May 20th, 2012 at 1:24 am said:

Wish speail speail edttione was comeing o ut hear in Germany Sad

+ KILLO31 on May 20th, 2012 at 6:05 am said:

CAN’T FREAK’N WAIT FOR THIS GAME ! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! *mind blow*

+ subadictos on May 21st, 2012 at 1:42 am said:

If you have DUAL LOGIN, I will definitively buy this game.

+ AizawaYuuichi on May 22nd, 2012 at 1:14 am said:

Yay, my last comment was moderated, then deleted.
So, after being a loyal follower and advocate for Sony, and voicing nary a complaint about news releases, or lackthereof, on the blog, I get a post deleted for complaining about it taking 48 hours for my previous post to escape “moderated” status? I figured I might get an actual reply apologizing for the amount of time it took for my informative post to get approved, but instead, it gets deleted and ignored. And yet there are numerous posters who do nothing by gripe and complain, article after article, yet they’re left alone to flood every single comment section with an abundance of BS… guess I finally found the dark side of the blog.

+ luvtoseek on May 22nd, 2012 at 8:57 am said:

@23, yeah, I couldn’t see your post earlier. Thanks again for the info! Surprised the Gearbox rep did not even show up…

Matt Charles's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on May 22nd, 2012 at 4:21 pm said:

testing….

+ JeffPS on May 22nd, 2012 at 4:22 pm said:

…and again

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on May 22nd, 2012 at 10:18 pm said:

I’ve had it with poor PS3 ports, buying this for PC.