Mirror's Edge Catalyst

May 28

Pure Chess

Pure Chess Out Tomorrow for PS3 and PS Vita

Tam Finlay's Avatar Posted by Tam Finlay on May 28, 2012 // Game Designer, VooFoo Studios

Pure Chess for PS3 and PS Vita

Enough with shooting people in the face. Instead, how about a game that requires mental agility, smart reactions and tactical planning while also bringing you an air of sophistication? That is exactly what we set out to achieve with Pure Chess, which brings the beauty and intellectual depth of one of the world’s oldest, and greatest games to PS Vita and PS3 tomorrow.

If you’ve never played chess before, Pure Chess will teach you everything you need to know from basics to advanced techniques. If you think of yourself as a bit of a chess master, match your wits against our AI. There are 10 difficulty levels to choose from, and a chess Grandmaster verified the top levels.

Pure Chess for PS3Pure Chess for PS3

It’s great fun trying to improve your skills against the finely tuned AI, but winning against your friends and family is even sweeter! So for those of you who feel like flexing your chess prowess against others, you can take on another player in a local two-player game or challenge your PSN friends to an asynchronous Play by Mail game. This means you don’t need to set aside a big chunk of time for a whole game. You can take your move, send it to your friend and then get on with your day. This is actually how I prefer to play on my PS Vita, as I really like being able to jump in and out of games when I’ve got a spare minute here and there.

Pure Chess for PS VitaPure Chess for PS Vita

From the outset, we wanted to make Pure Chess look amazing. It’s a game that deserves to be appreciated in elegant surroundings so we’ve made three beautiful locations for you to play in. Our artists take real pride in everything they make, from the stunning backgrounds to the finely crafted piece sets. I’m sure you’ll agree, chess has never looked so good! The team has also been hard at work creating some amazing DLC that will enhance your collection.

Pure Chess is coming to PS3 and PS Vita on May 29th. Check out our official website or give us a shout on Twitter! If you have any questions or comments regarding Pure Chess then please leave them in the comments and we’ll try to respond to them.

PAGE 1 2

+ Neil on May 28th, 2012 at 9:06 am said:

luvs it

Tam Finlay's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on May 28th, 2012 at 9:32 am said:

P.S. We’re having some trouble with certain images on the Blog (ones on the home page mostly), so please pardon our dust :) We should have them fixed soon.

+ DZORMAGEN on May 28th, 2012 at 9:08 am said:

Any chance of a checkers game? I suck, and don’t know how to play chess :(

Tam Finlay's Avatar

+ Tam Finlay on May 29th, 2012 at 4:09 am said:

Don’t worry about not knowing how to play chess. There is a detailed tutorial that teaches everything from all the basics up to advanced tactics.

+ StargamerX on May 28th, 2012 at 9:11 am said:

Price? Also, can two friends play across PS3 and PSV? If you buy one version, do you also get the other? Looks great.

+ BUD_TOKER_13 on May 28th, 2012 at 9:17 am said:

i love chess just wish yall put a price on things erlyer then when thy hit the store so i can put funds in my wallet and as StargamerX ask will we get PS3 and PSV copys with one perchus (dont like to buy things twice so if i half to chose i will get on PSV) and can you cross play (are ther any games you can cross play) guess if you can remot play that would salve it all LOL (when will remote play be working as advertised on tv i was under the asumtion yall had it figered out this time arouns (hackers have it working on psp and psv why cant you)

+ EVIL_D-E-M-O-N-S on May 28th, 2012 at 9:23 am said:

BORING! Bring checkers with it and then were talking oh and battleship to. Otherwise just having chess is so NERD! lol

+ Conaaando on May 28th, 2012 at 9:25 am said:

YES! YES! CHESS! HOORAY!!! Can’t wait to get this one. :-)

+ StealthReborn-- on May 28th, 2012 at 9:28 am said:

Will we be getting the park DLC for free tomorrow like EU got?

+ Sonicfan11589 on May 28th, 2012 at 9:28 am said:

@2 I agree, I feel Chess would be too complicated for me to learn, i am more of a checkers person, i remember when i was younger, i managed to play checkers using chess pieces, but i doubt that will be such a feature in this game.

Also, by the way, what is the price for everyone that plans on or is thinking about purchasing it?

+ whatisdelicious on May 28th, 2012 at 9:28 am said:

How much is it? It’s weird that it’s coming out tomorrow and there’s still not a price.

+ mixedkidbx on May 28th, 2012 at 9:32 am said:

So someone can make a chess game (which mind u i might buy if the price is right)

BUT no one will make a REAL SPADES GAMES on PSN?????

+ Ejsponge61 on May 28th, 2012 at 9:41 am said:

IGN’s Colin Moriarty want’s this so bad. He talked about it on Beyond and I can definitely say you have at least one copy sold already.

+ The_Dukenator on May 28th, 2012 at 9:42 am said:

@7 @\2 Having played Chess over the years, its not that hard to learn to play. Just hard to master, thus I always end up getting checkmated by someone else. If you can’t get out of checkmate, then you lose. If your pawn makes it to the opposite side of the board, you can acquire one of your captured chess pieces. Queen is the only chess piece that can move in all 8 directions. King can do the same, except one space at a time.

Checkers is a good game, but gets boring after awhile. Chinese Checkers, on the other hand, does not.

+ bmart008 on May 28th, 2012 at 9:42 am said:

I feel sorry for those people who don’t know how to play Chess! God! It’s a great game, and it’s not complicated at all if you take five minutes to learn. King moves one, Queen does whatever she wants, Pawns are useless, Bishops move diagonally only, Rooks straight lines, and Knights jump three ahead and one to the side.

Other than that, I would really like to know the price, I guess we’ll find out tomorrow.

+ mixedkidbx on May 28th, 2012 at 9:46 am said:

I thought Knights were like 2 up and 1 over, or 2 over and 1 up. Been since high school since i played tho…

+ Anti-Steven on May 28th, 2012 at 9:54 am said:

You VooFoo guys make some exceptionally beautiful games. I’ve always wanted to learn how to play chess, so I hope this has a good tutorial.

Tam Finlay's Avatar

+ Tam Finlay on May 29th, 2012 at 4:23 am said:

Thanks for the compliment. We try really hard to make all our games look as stunning as possible.
    Yep, there is a tutorial which will teach you everything you need to know.

+ yourworldonfire on May 28th, 2012 at 9:56 am said:

Harry Potter Wizards Chess should be DLC, I would buy it if that happened :)

+ villaintine on May 28th, 2012 at 9:57 am said:

Wow, I’m leaving on a multi-continent wedding/honeymoon journey with my fiancée on Saturday and would love to be able to play local games with her while on our multiple long flights or various train rides, as we both own PS Vitas, does this gorgeous chess title support local play between Vitas? If so, you’ve got two sales guaranteed with us, please say yes.

Tam Finlay's Avatar

+ Tam Finlay on May 29th, 2012 at 4:30 am said:

You can play local 2 player on the same Vita but not across two. Enjoy your honeymoon.

+ El_Pollo_CA on May 28th, 2012 at 9:58 am said:

This sounds great, is it available via PSN as well What’s the price? and is there PvP real time online or just local PvP and online is the move by move mail thingy ma jig? Thank you.

+ DaxMontana on May 28th, 2012 at 9:58 am said:

You safely ignore #12’s “tutorial”. It’s absolutely incorrect.

The Queen cannot do whatever she wants. She can move horizontally or diagonally. Pawns are not useless (far from). Knights cannot move ahead 3 (only 2).

+ Edwerd on May 28th, 2012 at 10:09 am said:

Tam Finlay's Avatar

+ Tam Finlay on May 29th, 2012 at 4:53 am said:

Of course!
    We’ve included a good mix of trophies for you to test your chess skills against. You’ll be challenged by them as you get better at the game too.

+ VelcroJonze on May 28th, 2012 at 10:13 am said:

Will be grabbing this for Vita as long as it’s under $10.

+ AmericanNinja1 on May 28th, 2012 at 10:16 am said:

If you buy the Vita version will you get the PS3 version for free? and vice versa?

Tam Finlay's Avatar

+ Tam Finlay on May 29th, 2012 at 5:41 am said:

Nope, each version must be purchased separately.

+ xjordan93 on May 28th, 2012 at 10:25 am said:

UK got the game for £4.99 last month. So around $6. Lets hope its $5 in US :)

+ D-Squad3 on May 28th, 2012 at 10:31 am said:

Why didn’t you guys answer the most obvious questions to answer?

1. What is the price? Duh it comes out tomorrow. $$$???
2. Will it be cross play?
3. Buy 1 get both versions?

+ FATHASUN on May 28th, 2012 at 10:38 am said:

If ever there were a brilliant way to present 3rd party DLC for a game this would be it. Imagine Uncharted Chess pieces! Or Metal Gear.. Resistance… Kratos!!! And a set themed after Assassins Creed!

+ phatso64 on May 28th, 2012 at 10:41 am said:

GAH! i just bought a UK PSN card off ebay because the PSN store there has it ! now i’m out $35 to buy a 5 pound game that’s gonna be here tomorrow ): oh well , guess i’ll spend the rest on EU Home (:

+ Kchow23 on May 28th, 2012 at 10:50 am said:

So how much is this game going for? Would be great if it was free like Motorstorm RC and with plenty of DLC.

+ JoeTheBeast16 on May 28th, 2012 at 10:57 am said:

I can’t even believe that you guys are seriously going to wait until it’s released to tell us the price. Ridiculous.

+ Tchanku on May 28th, 2012 at 11:01 am said:

I didn’t know how much I wanted a chess game for vita until just now.

+ ElektroDragon on May 28th, 2012 at 11:19 am said:

Definitely buying this!! This Vita/PS3 buy once, play anywhere model is brilliant. It will prevent me from buying the 360 versions of these games! Sony is the best! Actually, 360 probably won’t even get this game, not sure their fanbase is intelligent enough.

+ krae_man on May 28th, 2012 at 11:28 am said:

So, Chess is not causing system maintenance then? That’s a load off my mind.

+ BrownChiKaNo on May 28th, 2012 at 12:04 pm said:

Free for PS+?

Release Junes PS+ content already!! Thats what I am really looking forward too :)

+ DarthDanMan on May 28th, 2012 at 12:08 pm said:

As they said before it’s NOT a buy 1 get the other free offer.

+ DarthDanMan on May 28th, 2012 at 12:11 pm said:

Also if the EU version is anything to go by then this will have trophies. But not a Platinum.

+ JimInPT on May 29th, 2012 at 11:36 am said:

First thing I’ve seen in the PSN store in months that’s really worth buying. Too bad it doesn’t (yet?) include real-time head to head play over PSN.

Finally, something not targeted to 14-year-old kids.

+ Chuckbait on May 29th, 2012 at 12:03 pm said:

Sweet. I’ve always wanted a Chess game on ps3 (aside from on HOME and of course the minis).

Thank you for putting together what seems to be a fine game.

Good Luck with sales.

+ RidleysBox on May 29th, 2012 at 12:19 pm said:

Your website mentions PC and tablet versions as well. Where are these available and are they cross compatible with the PS3 version for playing email games?

+ TGVirus1337 on May 29th, 2012 at 12:46 pm said:

Just went to your main website…..wow! I looked at some screenshots on set pieces, will they be out when this game drops today for purchase? I love the knight set!

+ StackedPancakes on May 29th, 2012 at 1:11 pm said:

There seems to be some confusion about online play.
I too need confirmation on this. I understand the local multiplayer and the Play by Mail, but am I correct by saying I will not be able to challenge someone who is online from my PSN friends list?
Also, is there in-game music or custom soundtrack available?

+ rospondek on May 29th, 2012 at 1:32 pm said:

When will we see the Romans chess set? Really, I’m waiting for it since the first trailer…

+ NEXUSPRIME007 on May 29th, 2012 at 2:42 pm said:

No buy one for one system get it for the other!?! No thanks!

+ Ricopitote on May 29th, 2012 at 5:05 pm said:

At first I felt like buying this game but definitely I will NOT just because:

– Price tag should´ve been $4.99
– No “I buy for one system I get it for the other”
– FIRST DAY DLC (lame for al low budget title!)
– No VS play vita to vita
– No VS play Ps3 to Ps3

+ Matrix_Lion on May 30th, 2012 at 1:38 pm said:

The fundamentals of tactics thank you Tam Finlay & VooFoo Studios.

+ DjStiv3 on May 30th, 2012 at 8:18 pm said:

wow sony thanks for charging 8 bucks to play CHESS
i just bought recently the stupid pinball game and blob game not long ago both of which i can say are crap for ther price… honestly put out something worthwhile…

anyway if you guys dont want to spend alot for playing chess theres like a 3 dollar psp game in the vita store download that… its chess any way you look at it why pay 8 bucks/? use the other 5 for something else… what a ridiculous price tag for a chess game it shud be .99 cents
learn to price things sony.. i bought plants versus zombies on the ipod touch for 3 bucks but i had to buy a whopping 15 to play on vita for the SAME game …seriously.. losing me as a customer

+ Alipas on May 31st, 2012 at 3:40 am said:

Disappointed. In your videos & pics you show old age characters & Roman pieces and they are not in the game, even as a dlc. What and when will be available, it’s why I purchased the game.

+ KiddCarter on May 31st, 2012 at 8:06 am said:

Good game, I just wish it had a better multiplayer system, none of my friends play chess, so play by mail, which is one of the reasons I bought the game, is a waste for me, hopefully a worldwide mp mode will be added in the future so we can play against other people and not just the AI, other than that I like this game a lot

PS: anyone else in my situation and would like to play against another person add me as a friend (i bought the vita version)

+ TaMpA_bLaCk on June 4th, 2012 at 12:21 am said:

Does this game work with Move?

+ Castlewar on June 13th, 2012 at 12:25 pm said:

The graphics on this is very cool. I like that you can change the style of peaces. The only thing I would recommend would be a style that animates the peaces. (wizard chess, combat chess, battle chess.) This would increase sales and just be cool.

+ DuoMaxwell007 on May 28th, 2012 at 12:28 pm said:

@2 chess is extremely easy to learn just hard to master.. i figured out how to play chess in 5 mins just from playing chessmaster back in the 90s… now im by no means GOOD at it but ta least i know how to move every piece/how every piece moves

well i always said if PS3 got an online multiplayer chess game id buy it.. well looks like Pure Chess shall be mine.. by the way is it possible to have normal non “play by mail” matches online? like if me and i friend had hours to sit there in front of the screen and play (and wait) until the game ended?

+ DarthDanMan on May 28th, 2012 at 12:29 pm said:

The EU version doesn’t so I’m assuming there’s no online head to head matches.

PAGE 1 2