PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault Coming to PSN This Fall

Ted Price's Avatar + Posted by Ted Price on May 30, 2012 // CEO, Insomniac Games

The good people of Insomniac Games are preparing to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Ratchet & Clank, which is coming up later this year. An HD remaster of our classic PS2 Ratchet & Clank games is something our fans have requested for a long time, and we’re looking forward to granting their wishes this summer with the Ratchet & Clank Collection.

But we’ve also heard a lot of community requests to develop a new Ratchet & Clank game, one that returns to the classic third-person Ratchet & Clank camera. We listened to your requests, and this holiday season Insomniac will release our new Ratchet & Clank game as part of our 10th Anniversary Celebration.

I’d like to officially announce that Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault will be coming soon to a PS3 near you.

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault for PS3

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault is a fun-sized Ratchet adventure which will be available for download exclusively on the PlayStation Store. We’ve returned to the series’ classic feel, camera, controls and weapons, while innovating and giving you a whole new way to play. Even better, the addition of online features means you can experience Full Frontal Assault with your friends, so stay tuned! We’re really excited about this game, and we hope even these small tidbits about it get you excited too.

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault for PS3

We’ve been hard at work on Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault and now we’re giving you a sneak peek at this first piece of art to give you a taste of what we have in store for you when the game launches later this year. In the meantime, we hope you pick up the Ratchet & Clank Collection when it comes out this summer. We’ll have some more news on the Collection’s release date and a special surprise for North American fans coming in the next couple of weeks.

+ Deine_Oma on May 30th, 2012 at 9:58 am said:

Great News! I thought after A4O that the PS3 wouldn’t see another new Ratchet Game and that Sony keep the Series till PS4 :D

That brings me to my Question.

Does the Story continue something, or ist this story just for it’s own, like the ones on PS2, that never really continue something? And I hope it’s longer than Q4B, that was way to schort for me :P

Can’t wait to get the Collection and that one :D

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 10:07 am said:

It’s definitely post-All 4 One. But it’s not something like the Future Saga or anything. It’s a standalone story.

+ snakeeyes211 on May 30th, 2012 at 9:58 am said:

I love you guys

+ TubaDude49 on May 30th, 2012 at 9:59 am said:

Can’t wait.
You guys haven’t let me down yet, every title in the series has been great, and I really look forward to this one.
Hopefully the wait isn’t too long.

+ TubaDude49 on May 30th, 2012 at 10:02 am said:

James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 9:24 am said:

It’s closer to Q4B than ACIT, but it will be more replayable than either of those games!

More replayable than A Crack in Time? That already got quite a few playthroughs from me, I can’t imagine what this would end up being…

+ Wozman23 on May 30th, 2012 at 10:05 am said:

That’s a long title. I’m just going to call it Full Frontal Ass for brevity’s sake (and ironic juxtaposition).

A lot of people hate on All4One, but I really loved it.

Keep up the good work. I hope you’ve got a few surprises for E3, like more Overstrike details and a release date.

+ TechBlast on May 30th, 2012 at 10:08 am said:

Well, ACIT could even complete the series in an amazing way,
but if you decide to continue the series atleast you should make some great full lengthed game.

Will Europe be able to get the BIG surpise someday?

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 10:14 am said:

This is the big surprise. It’s coming out there as Ratchet & Clank: QForce and will be released on PSN and Blu-ray

+ Carl-G on May 30th, 2012 at 10:09 am said:

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! ! ! :P :P :P

+ Please still make more PS3 only ‘FULL’ R&C games in the future;) I LOVE’EM TO DEATH! ! ! :D

+ Vyprstryke on May 30th, 2012 at 10:10 am said:

Well I’m happy to have a new R&C game to look forward to this fall! I’m importing the Collection, will buy it again when it comes out in NA then I’ll be importing this new game as well. Will it be coming out in Europe on blu-ray disc around the same time it launches in NA?

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 10:24 am said:

Should be the same week

+ SuperGlitchPro on May 30th, 2012 at 10:10 am said:

I’m always excited when a new Ratchet game comes out. I have a question.. will the characters from the first 3 game make an appearance in this game? And will gaint Clank return?

+ Destiny89 on May 30th, 2012 at 10:11 am said:

OH MY GOD! YES! thank you thank you! im a huge fan of Ratchet and Clank, played every single game that came out so far from PS2 to PSN to PSP to PS3! i love this series and im very happy to see it coming back thank you!

+ Satnamji on May 30th, 2012 at 10:11 am said:

Awesome news!

You keep mentioning the new game’s replayability. Does that mean it will have skill points, unlike Q4B?

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 11:19 am said:

It means it will have online gameplay that’s replayable :-)

+ freddyrivas on May 30th, 2012 at 10:12 am said:

Awesome when u guys left sony and went multiplatform i thought that would be the death of resistance and ratchet games glad to see i was wrong i love Insomniac Games titles a downloadable new resistance game would be stupendous R3 was my fav game last year beside arkham city

+ K-O-R-G-S on May 30th, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

PLEASE say Captain Qwark features!?

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 11:19 am said:

Well, it is called QForce in Europe for a reason…. :-)

+ BrownChiKaNo on May 30th, 2012 at 10:21 am said:

“And while this may not have the gigantic campaign, it will probably be the most replayable PS3 Ratchet & Clank game!”

ONLINE CONFIRMED!
Can not wait, UYA was the game that introduced me to online gaming, such good times!

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 11:21 am said:

Online is confirmed in the post!

+ Hi-Q47 on May 30th, 2012 at 10:22 am said:

Another vote mind-bending puzzles. Would be a first since the time puzzles were most definitely not that. They were fun, to be sure, but easy.

So if this is the big suprise, and everyone was supposed to pre-order the collection for a big surprise, how does that go together then?

And, please tell me whatever this online stuff is, it can be fully ignored without losing out on anything in the game?

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 11:20 am said:

Depends on who you were on the time puzzles, some people got it, other people couldn’t wrap their head around it

+ krae_man on May 30th, 2012 at 10:23 am said:

Good going James, you broke GAF:p

+ JamesSoprano on May 30th, 2012 at 10:23 am said:

Mr Price I thought their was going to be no more R&C games after CiT ? well i’m glad you and the rest of the company can’t stay away from R&C cause that can only mean more Ratchet and clank from one of my Favorite Developers <3 THANK YOU also looking forward too the HD Collection !

( but i really hope that's not the only HD Collection i would like too see Ratchet and Clank Size Matters And Secret Agent Clank from PSP get made onto disc as well and since it's only 2 games you could always add QFB with trophy support for Trophy Hunters like myself. even if you didn't add QFB i still want the PSP ports the most ) : )

+ Dustinwp on May 30th, 2012 at 10:24 am said:

HELL YES!!! Fantastic news! You guys already sold a copy and I haven’t even read the post yet!

Thank you Insomniac and Sony!

+ BossmanCCrowder1 on May 30th, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

Amazing!!! Thank you so much for this. Been a Ratchet fan since 2003 and loved every game. Can’t wait to play some competitive Up Your Arsenal when the HD Collection releases, and I’m curious to hear more about the online features for FFA. May I ask, will this be at E3 next week?

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 11:21 am said:

No, we will be showing it off later in the fall.

+ BlindMango on May 30th, 2012 at 10:27 am said:

Oh niiice! Can’t wait! Yeah, I wasn’t feeling All 4 One too much, lol

+ HorrorGod on May 30th, 2012 at 10:31 am said:

Awesome news. I loved the PS2 games. I still own my copies.
And this just inspired me to finally order R&C Future: A Crack in Time, Q4B (blu-ray), and All 4 One.
I picked up Tools of Destruction last year, but have not yet played it.

+ shogun00 on May 30th, 2012 at 10:31 am said:

Sweet! I can’t wait until this game releases.

+ raycey on May 30th, 2012 at 10:33 am said:

Ooo, post A4O eh? Please please pleeeaaase include Dr. Nefarious! There was so much promise left wide open at the end of A4O. But then if it’s strictly stand-alone and not like the Future saga series, that would suggest it doesn’t have a story that continues on from another game. Oh well, I’m sure it’ll still be great.

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on May 30th, 2012 at 10:34 am said:

Make sure there are difficulty options, I didn’t have full with Tools because it was too easy. I appreciated the harder difficulty options with Quest for Booty and Crack.

+ kowan on May 30th, 2012 at 10:34 am said:

Will you be releasing Deadlocked HD in the west as well? The japanese version of ratchet and clank hd collection has deadlocked in it. Well not really included I think. But a bonus of some sort or was it a stand alone? Anyway CANNOT WAIT. All4one was, unfortunately, a disappointing title, and so I can’t wait to go back and experience true Ratchet and Clank experience once again!

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on May 30th, 2012 at 10:34 am said:

I meant to say I didn’t have FUN with Tools.

+ anonymus212 on May 30th, 2012 at 10:35 am said:

Hi James, can you tell me if European users will have access to the special surprise, not this one, I mean the:

“a special surprise for North American fans coming……..”

By paying for it or otherwise?

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 11:22 am said:

Yes, everyone will have the chance to get it

+ Wozman23 on May 30th, 2012 at 10:36 am said:

I hope by Post-All 4 One you mean Nefarious is either still conflicted about being evil or helping the team again. I loved his interaction in All 4 One.

I’m hoping you guys are going to surprise us at E3 with some Overstrike info too.

+ DarthDanMan on May 30th, 2012 at 10:40 am said:

Any plans on putting this on the Vita too? Pretty please! :-)

+ bmb5150 on May 30th, 2012 at 10:41 am said:

Well this quite the surprise. I’ll gladly take another R&C game plus the collection (and the rumored Deadlocked added on, but you guys can’t say anything about that). My only question is, which group is working on this, the main group in Burbank or the other group in North Carolina? Hopefully FFA will live up to other traditional R&C games.

+ ioanina on May 30th, 2012 at 10:44 am said:

Looking forward to this game and the HD collection real soon! Will the game recieve single player DLC expansions in the near future? It would make the adventure much more longer if you do that type of DLC! And, will it take place where All 4 One left off?

+ Hatberserker on May 30th, 2012 at 10:48 am said:

You guys should put this on vita too!

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 11:24 am said:

It’s a cool idea, but it’d be up to Sony to do that and port it as we are more focused on consoles isntead of handheld

+ Girlgeek on May 30th, 2012 at 10:48 am said:

My previous comment read
+ Girlgeek on May 30th, 2012 at 9:42 am said:
“Once again, a big surprise for North American fans!!!
*NEWSFLASH*
there are some serious die-hard fans out here who are not based in the US/Canada. I’ve been a huge fan of R&C since buying the first one 10 years ago. It was ONLY because I wanted to play the new R&C games that I bought my PS3.
How about something for those of us in Europe/Asia/Australia/India etc… Or are we not important enough or don’t we count ??

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 9:54 am said:
This is coming out in Europe as Ratchet & Clank: Q-Force, and you guys are getting it on blu-ray too!”

What James Stevenson failed to understand was that I was complaining about the fact there would be a “Big Surprise” for North American fans coming in the next couple of weeks”. NOT that I thought we weren’t getting R&C Full Frontal!! I’m an intelligent person and can read a news release correctly thank you… I wanted to know when the rest of world would be treated like we mattered and got the same perks as the US!!

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 11:25 am said:

There is a surprise that is a “make-good” to North American fans for getting the collection later than Europe does.

You get the games two months early. We’re giving the NA fans a bonus for waiting.

+ saintaqua on May 30th, 2012 at 10:48 am said:

Please add trophies to FTOD and QFB!!! I want to play the whole series with trophies and though I already own them, I’m sure many others would buy them if you announced trophies.

+ saintaqua on May 30th, 2012 at 10:49 am said:

Please release all ratchet games on Vita too!

+ villaintine on May 30th, 2012 at 10:50 am said:

I can only assume this little tidbit about Full Frontal Assault just before E3, which sounds awesome by the way (please be co-op), must mean that Insomniac has something even bigger up its sleeve for the big show. Oh please, please, please, be actual gameplay of OverStrike, that trailer has had me salivating for the last twelve months, please tell me my fiancée and I can play split-screen with our other friends, I’ll be soooooooo happy!

+ Bob_the_Almighty on May 30th, 2012 at 10:51 am said:

Yes yes YES!

Me and my wife love the Ratchet and Clank games. Our son is getting old enough to start enjoying them as well. We bought the Jak and Daxter and Sly Cooper Collections and he’s really enjoying them. We let him tag along with us on All 4 One and he had a blast (actually we all did). He just HAD to be Clank, which was fine because my wife wanted to be Ratchet and I was more than happy with Qwark and Nefarious.

I already have the R&C HD Collection pre-ordered and I’ll be downloading Full Frontal Assault (always with the suggestive names on R&C games… :p) day one. I was afraid when Insomniac announced multi-platform plans that they were going to get away from their Sony franchises. I know they’re not making Resistance anymore (which sucks because R3 was easily the best one) but I hope we can expect more Insomniac-developed Ratchet and Clank for another ten years.

And without sounding too “entitled” (hate that phrase)… Deadlocked HD too please!

+ BossmanCCrowder1 on May 30th, 2012 at 10:53 am said:

@77 I understand what you are saying, and you should get the same stuff NA people are getting, but didn’t the other territories get a collectors edition for A Crack in Time and All 4 One? Another Insomniac title Resistance 3 didn’t get a collectors edition in NA. Its nice to get extra content and specials, but sadly I would say its more up to Sony to decide what territory gets the collectors editions and special content.

+ cfountain on May 30th, 2012 at 10:58 am said:

consider it bought.

Im actually about to replay Quest 4 Booty. Cant wait for a solid release date and price(guessing $15 which is cool.)

+ Vyprstryke on May 30th, 2012 at 11:02 am said:

That is awesome!! Really looking forward to it now! New Sly Cooper AND Ratchet & Clank this fall!!! I love my Playstation 3 lol. Thanks guys!

+ JayJay2515 on May 30th, 2012 at 11:08 am said:

i hope this wont be as goofy looking as A41 in my opinion rachet and clank games are better off like ToD, UYA, and deadlocked, if you guys have the multiplayer where each player has the own screen this i can give you my money now

+ JayJay2515 on May 30th, 2012 at 11:08 am said:

their own screen*

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on May 30th, 2012 at 11:11 am said:

Hey Ted do you think Resistance Burning Skies sucks like everyone else?

+ eddieanton on May 30th, 2012 at 11:11 am said:

Hell yeah!, i love every ratchet game so far and yes that includes the often maligned ( for no good reason really) A4O, that being said, since this seems to be comparable in length to QfB, i hope they don’t rehash levels and give them a greenish hue, i hope that as little planets or areas there might be, that they remain unique and don’t get used more than once, that being said… day one download and long live the lombax!!!

+ Acookook on May 30th, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

I hope it will be a very good game,just like the other good R&C games ( all 4 one isn’t so good)

+ Vyprstryke on May 30th, 2012 at 11:15 am said:

I really think A41 was alienated because it really is a different type of R&C game. Thing is, it was Insomnaics first attempt at a multiplayer game like that so I think people had pretty crazy expectations since it was an R&C title. It still is at its core it’s just a different interface. They tried it, some liked it, some didn’t. I liked it. It was fun and I was able to introduce my gf to R&C with it.

+ Airwalkinman17 on May 30th, 2012 at 11:17 am said:

This sounds RIGHTEOUS!!!

*throws rocker hands into the air and starts Head Bangin*

+ prestitre on May 30th, 2012 at 11:22 am said:

Keep it this way Insomniac. Dont make another all 4 one.
I started crying blood when i played all 4 one demo.

I will both collection and this on their release date and if deadlocked/gladiator hd remake comes in psn…
FUS RO DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ eddieanton on May 30th, 2012 at 11:23 am said:

Oh and bring back that one eyed monkey from UYA.. skrunch was his name wasn’t it?… anyhow… BRING HIM BACK!!!

+ Squiggle55 on May 30th, 2012 at 11:23 am said:

@James Thanks for all of the responses. I have a question about one of your replies. You seem to have said that it is up to Sony whether or not a Ratchet & Clank comes out for the Vita. And that you are focused on console games. First of all it’s a real bummer if there is truly no Ratchet & Clank even being considered for the Vita at the moment by you all. Secondly, how is that Sony’s decision?

As a huge Ratchet & Clank fan I will obviously buy this game and any R&C game you make, but I am sad to hear that you don’t even have Vita plans stirring.

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 11:31 am said:

It’s Sony decision to create a port for Vita. We’d support that fully. It’s our decision to focus on the PS3 version of the game only, and not spread ourselves onto a new piece of hardware we aren’t familiar with.

We didn’t develop any PSP games either. Our tech and experience is all around PS3.