GTAV PS4

Soul Sacrifice for PS Vita: Inafune’s Next Game is Coming to North America

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar + Posted by Kumi Yuasa on Jun 01, 2012 // Producer, SCEA

Hello everyone! I’ve got some great news. A few weeks ago, Soul Sacrifice for PS Vita was announced in Japan and I’m sure many of you are wondering about the status of a North American release. I’m happy to announce that Soul Sacrifice is coming to North America! The legendary Keiji Inafune of Comcept is leading this project with MarvelousAQL, with Yasunori Mitsuda and Wataru Hokoyama working on the music and soundtrack. The theme of this game is “reality blended experience.” You may wonder what that means, exactly. In celebration of the announcement in North America, Inafune-san has kindly sent us a description along with his comments.

Soul Sacrifice for PS Vita

What I wanted to illustrate in this game was a “reality blended into a fantasy world.” The word “fantasy” normally points to a story that is fictitious; however, with Soul Sacrifice I wanted to illustrate a “reality” within a fantasy that wasn’t sugar-coated. It’s not about focusing on the strange, but to flip the commonly held concept of what a fantasy theme should be with the concept of “reality.”

Cruelty is a reality in our world, and we have to make sacrifices and pay costs on a daily basis. I wanted to blend this “reality” theme into a fantasy world, one filled with magic, and create a new type of gaming experience that relied on the player making sacrifices in order to obtain great power.

There is a “dark pleasure” lying in between fiction and reality that none of us knew was there. If you simply think of it as a “dark fantasy,” then your expectations will be betrayed – but in a good way. Please look forward to Soul Sacrifice. It will be a game that players around the world will surely enjoy. –Keiji Inafune, Comcept

Soul Sacrifice for PS VitaSoul Sacrifice for PS Vita

Another key feature of this game is the concept of “sacrifice.” In order to use sorcery during fierce battles, you must be willing to make a sacrifice – ranging from personal belongings, a limb, maybe even a life. How much would you be willing to sacrifice to gain ultimate power?

We’ll have more info to come at E3, so please stay tuned. For now, check out the video interview from Inafune-san talking about the two main themes of “reality blended experience” and “sacrifice” for Soul Sacrifice.

PAGE 1 2

+ Kchow23 on June 1st, 2012 at 1:34 am said:

Very interesting idea for a game and I can’t wait to try it out!

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on June 1st, 2012 at 9:23 am said:

Hi there. Thank you for your comment. It’ll be a new experience with the reality concept blended into the fantasy world. Can’t wait to share more info about this game!

+ Firepowerr on June 1st, 2012 at 1:48 am said:

Going to be amazing!

So glad it is confirmed over here. 4 player co-op ftw.

+ camiwaits_us on June 1st, 2012 at 1:52 am said:

Fantastic news! He’s a great creator and i love the concept of this game.

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on June 1st, 2012 at 9:24 am said:

Thank you! I’ll pass your kind comment to Inafune-san.

+ massimodo on June 1st, 2012 at 1:52 am said:

Boom baby! Didn’t have any doubt that it’d be making its way stateside, but its always nice to get a confirmation. Don’t expect it till 2013, though.

+ Vidarcr on June 1st, 2012 at 1:58 am said:

I’m all in for this game, here’s hoping it gets released soon after the japanese version

+ RichZpace on June 1st, 2012 at 2:24 am said:

E3 is going to be terrific with Soul Sacrifice on the loose.
It will have a 2012 release in Japan, so I’m expecting a similar release date for the US and EU.

+ Arthur_Kannibal on June 1st, 2012 at 2:54 am said:

I was already planning on buying this before I knew it!

This game looks like it’s going to be the best HNS game on the Vita!

+ DarkOne_PR on June 1st, 2012 at 2:57 am said:

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEA!!!!! THANKS A LOT! Day ONE for me as same as Gravity Rush and Ragnarok Odyssey! :) im so freaking happy! pls let it be this year! XD

+ FearMonkey on June 1st, 2012 at 2:57 am said:

YESSSSSS!!! So happy to hear we’re getting this. Thanks! :D

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on June 1st, 2012 at 9:43 am said:

I’m as excited as you are! Glad to see positive reactions all over. Thank you!

+ Anddo on June 1st, 2012 at 3:09 am said:

Great news, I’m happy to see this confirmed for the US.

+ Riaden242 on June 1st, 2012 at 3:16 am said:

And people say there are not good games for the vita coming out! x3

+ Oisterboy on June 1st, 2012 at 3:36 am said:

This is the first I’m hearing of this game but it looks incredible! I’m getting kier and more happy I bought a vita. This week has had so much awesome news. And e3 hasn’t even started yet! Wheeeeee thanks Sony :)

+ Wakefulness on June 1st, 2012 at 4:16 am said:

Whoop there it is!

Whoop there it is!

Whoop there it is!

+ loveordie04 on June 1st, 2012 at 4:45 am said:

YEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

+ Berae on June 1st, 2012 at 5:24 am said:

It looks very interesting!

+ Mike0804 on June 1st, 2012 at 6:17 am said:

Angry Flower

+ MushThePainter on June 1st, 2012 at 7:10 am said:

sweet, any new vita game is good news to me!

+ mckg123456789 on June 1st, 2012 at 7:15 am said:

Pre orders please start soon !!!!! I want this game so bad !

+ doctormoon on June 1st, 2012 at 7:38 am said:

Awesome another VITA game

+ reson8er on June 1st, 2012 at 7:54 am said:

This game looks like its going to be really special, I’ve been loving what I’ve seen from the Japanese press conference and can’t wait to see more. Very happy to see it officially announced for NA. Yay!

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on June 1st, 2012 at 1:42 pm said:

Thank you for your comment. I’m happy we could finally announce it. Please check back for more info : )

+ Christian399 on June 1st, 2012 at 8:20 am said:

Wow, SCEA does have a CLUE. Resistance VITA was an EPIC flop. THIS is the sort of game that Vita enthusiasts want. Take note and bring more JRPGs/ non-FPSes to the console.

+ Gekidami on June 1st, 2012 at 8:49 am said:

So what is ‘Forsaken Souls’? People assumed it was the western name for this but that doesnt seem to be the case.

+ KazeEternal on June 1st, 2012 at 9:16 am said:

Keiji Inafune…… all the reason to skip this game.

Why aren’t we getting Castlevania Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate?

+ Dracont on June 1st, 2012 at 9:40 am said:

ITS GREAT TO SEE THAT YOU GUYS ARE REALLY WORKING FAST ON LOCALIZATION OF GREAT GAMES! IM REALLY HAPPY WITH THIS NEWS :D

+ iTofuMan on June 1st, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

Great news, any word on Price?, official date (or a month range?), will it be available on PSN?, DLC?

i am really only excited for this game since this is probably the closet thing we’ll get to a Monster Hunter-like game for a couple of years.

+ boxmyth on June 1st, 2012 at 10:28 am said:

The Japanese gameplay demo of this a few weeks ago completely sold me on it. It looks fantastic, and Inafune’s involvement guarantees that it will be fun (and Capcom can’t cancel it!)

+ luvtoseek on June 1st, 2012 at 10:38 am said:

@19, I don’t understand your comment. Keiji made some great games. What does it have to do w/ Castlevania? This post is about SS.

+ KazeEternal on June 1st, 2012 at 11:46 am said:

@27 luvtoseek

You’re right, I got my game designers mixed up. For some reason I was thinking of Tomonobu Itagaki who’m I loath. Keiji Inafune has made great games… I feel a bit a shamed now as I love Mega Man X, Minish Cap, and Breath of Fire. Though he’s made his share of weird titles, he is entitled at this point.

As far as Castlevania goes. It’s on 3DS and has everything to do with Vita as the game would have looked fantastic on the PSV.

+ Tremulan777 on June 1st, 2012 at 11:46 am said:

I’m having so much fun with my vita that I use it more than ps3. Great game hope can see more becuase the concept looks fantastic and intriguing. Keep the good work, day one purchase. Any pre-order bounes?

+ BlueBl1zzard on June 1st, 2012 at 11:50 am said:

Awesome!!! I was hoping this would come to to the states! The graphics look really improved since the last time I saw this. And the screenshots alone look as good if not better than the reveal trailer from about a month ago. Looking forward to seeing more about this game

+ enoir_me_plz on June 1st, 2012 at 12:32 pm said:

I want to play this! But this is one that I’ll hide from the kids :D

+ WastelandDan on June 1st, 2012 at 12:51 pm said:

Ok, the video has very interested,Spine Sword FTW!!!

+ Elvick_ on June 1st, 2012 at 12:59 pm said:

Glad that we didn’t have to wait very long for localization news! I can’t wait to play this game. I love Inafune’s work.

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on June 1st, 2012 at 5:36 pm said:

Thank you for your kind word! I’ll make sure to convey your message to Inafune-san.

+ D-Squad3 on June 1st, 2012 at 1:47 pm said:

VITA!!!

+ adamboy420 on June 1st, 2012 at 2:06 pm said:

I am so excited. Im really glad to see this game come to the Vita. I am hoping it will bring a little boost and hope to the Vita! I love the system, but Im hoping this will make it shine.

+ tusunami on June 1st, 2012 at 3:02 pm said:

This is the game that Japan has been waiting for as well as it’s coming out stateside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ LordRaoh on June 1st, 2012 at 3:14 pm said:

This is very exciting news.

+ vileBrenman on June 1st, 2012 at 3:41 pm said:

oh yeah another awesome vita game. There should be a spell where he rips off his head and grows a bunch of snake heads or a spell where you cut of your legs and get some spider legs or some other sick twisted kind of awesome.

+ subject98 on June 1st, 2012 at 3:52 pm said:

The vita is getting a lot of really good updates lately… the graphics look stunning in this.

+ RETRO_____BLAST on June 1st, 2012 at 6:07 pm said:

Looks AWESOME!!! I was wondering, in terms of control, is it more like a traditional turn based RPG or more like an Action RPG?

+ MafiaBrett on June 1st, 2012 at 6:29 pm said:

Not going to lie, I’ve been holding off on the PS Vita just because there hasn’t been games that I like..
But I think Soul Sacrifice is going to take the cake ;)

+ Matrix_Lion on June 1st, 2012 at 9:11 pm said:

I loved the interview of Keiji Inafune explaining the concept of the game. When they showed the guy reaching down his throat and pulling out his spine I was sold.

+ erico316ecw on June 1st, 2012 at 10:02 pm said:

i hope there a stage demo to this game at e3

+ madhi19 on June 2nd, 2012 at 12:34 am said:

Rename it because in my mind no game title should use the word Souls that not made by From Soft. Especially an action RPG.

+ HanGlacy on June 2nd, 2012 at 3:16 am said:

Not in months! Cant wait any longer! Release it soon!!!

+ kozuekun on June 2nd, 2012 at 4:44 am said:

can’t wait- hoping for a demo :3

+ Ehahneli-13 on June 2nd, 2012 at 7:30 pm said:

So glad that this is already getting confirmed for a release outside of Japan. Looks really interesting and can’t wait to play it. Thanks!

+ Lord-Me on June 2nd, 2012 at 10:57 pm said:

Need to ask this, does the copyright for “Forsaken Souls” have anything to do with the US title of this game?

+ dragon_frost on June 3rd, 2012 at 9:49 am said:

@Kumi Yuasa Please send my thanks to mr Inafune-san for all the fond memories of the original mega man & mega man x series because i really enjoyed them all & hopefully there will be more of them in the future?

P.S.. I wish you all good luck & good fortune with both of you’re new studios!

Cheers!

+ NeoMahi on June 3rd, 2012 at 9:39 pm said:

I guess you can say what you will but, I’m glad to see that Keiji Inafune has broken away from Capcom and gone about his own way. Capcom have totally lost their edge. I was a HUGE fan of there’s on the Sega Genesis, PSX, Dreamcast, and PS2 but, they’ve gone the way of Square-Enix and to see developers break off and do things in a totally new way, is awesome! You see development companies like Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Quantic Dream and Epic Games that don’t have that strong arm that corporate companies like Konami, Capcom, Square-Enix, Activision, whatever have, but that Inafune can think more creatively and have fun while he works rather than all the bull-crap pressure that comes from a corporation and still be able to make big budget games. I’m glad to see he’s chosen to work with Sony exclusively for this and focus all his efforts on a single platform rather than having to divide his attention. That’s why Sony’s First-Party developers are SO GOOD! because there attention isn’t divided. GREAT TO HERE FROM YA’LL! Keiji Inafune is a LEGEND! and I’m psyched to play the game on THE BEST HAND-HELD on the market. Thanks guys!

PAGE 1 2