Uncharted 4

E3 2012: Naughty Dog Reveals The Last of Us Gameplay

Eric Monacelli's Avatar + Posted by Eric Monacelli on Jun 04, 2012 // Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

Did you catch the PlayStation press conference livestream? Notice when it went all black? We wanted to set a proper mood, tone, and stage for our debut of The Last of Us gameplay. The venue, as well as the hard work of the press conference production crew, afforded us a fantastic setup. It was an amazing opportunity to showcase our blood, sweat, and pixels on the massive video screen in the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena this Monday night. We’re amped by the response we’ve received so far and looking forward to a very busy, very fun E3.

If you didn’t catch the livestream or would like to see unadulterated, pure images of the gameplay watch this video. At this point in the story Joel and Ellie are attempting to get to the bridge and out of the city. They are tourists in an area that’s controlled by hunters. They are hunted and yet they too are hunters. Everyone is willing to do whatever it takes to survive. What you’ll see is something that we’re calling Balance of Power AI. Enemies will react realistically to whatever situation your combat style forces them into. Playing as Joel, Ellie’s help and whatever weapons you can scavenge are your best shot at progressing in this brutal, violent world. Check it out:

The Last of Us is a game like no other. We’ve just begun to show you what’s in store for Joel and Ellie as they travel across the post-pandemic United States. The drive to preserve humanity against the infection creates tension that pushes the limits of what constitutes being human. The story will explore the bond that forms between Joel and Ellie, and themes of loyalty, love, and redemption in ways never before experienced in entertainment. It’s an emotional rollercoaster that plunges and twists into the depths of what it means to be human and what it takes to survive. So buckle up and brace yourself. Our ride is just getting started.

PAGE 1 2

+ Veridis_Quo on June 5th, 2012 at 3:08 am said:

I absolutely love the gameplay! It’s perhaps the best thing I’ve seen so far at E3 this year. Give us a release date so I can preorder this bad boy!

+ igorrocks2 on June 5th, 2012 at 3:33 am said:

Quantic dreams and you the kings of E3 nuf said the secom place I geve to Watch dogs from Ubisoft

+ rjejr on June 5th, 2012 at 5:20 am said:

If you replaced Monkey w/ Nathan Drake this could have been Enslaved 2, halfway in time between then and now.
My wife thought this was Uncharted 4. Until we watched the 6 minute Tomb Raider demo and decided that was Uncharted 4. We’ll be playing TR instead. Nathan would never shoot a wounded defenseless guy in the face w/ a shotgun and neither will I. Too bad, looks freakin’ awesome, but I’m not an excessive blood and zombies kinda guy.

+ dark-star29 on June 5th, 2012 at 5:48 am said:

Like everyone else, I’ve been following this title since it surfaced. But, unlike most, I wasn’t all that thrilled..
IMO, the ‘zombie horde’ in games has been used hard and put away wet.. Old stuff and it’s been used and abused..
I needed more info on what the game really was before I would jump on the wandbagon.. :D

After seeing this gameplay, I’m sold. Take my monies please.

One request, though.. Give me at least 8 months of solid BL2 before you release it.. Otherwise I’ll be torn between two worlds.. :)

Great job, guys!! :THUMBSUP!:

+ Strangeheaven on June 5th, 2012 at 5:49 am said:

Please put The Last Of Us gameplay demo video on the store,so I can watch it in hd on my hd tv.

+ King_Ruffin7 on June 5th, 2012 at 6:18 am said:

Nice! plus i like he fact that you can put things together kind of like rage a little. Naughty always does good so i know this will be stellar! But what I really wish they would do is collaborate with rock steady to make a Black Panther action/adventure, or just make 1 themselves!!

+ BiezulbubBill69 on June 5th, 2012 at 6:42 am said:

Game looks so incredible. Really can’t wait to play it!!!!!!!!!!

+ strafero on June 5th, 2012 at 6:50 am said:

So when will this show up on the store? I don’t really like what Youtube does with the compression.

This game deserves to be shown in full 1080p.

+ ScorpionsWR on June 5th, 2012 at 7:32 am said:

According to Amazon.com, the game will be released on December 31, 2012. That’s all nice and dandy, except for the fact that December 31 is a Monday. Anyone ever heard of new games being released on a Monday in North America?

Anyway, that was karazzzzzzzzzy game play video. Of course, that is to be expected from Naughty Dog. Always setting that bar just a little bit higher than before. Anyone else picture Gerard Butler as Joel the second the video started? :)

My only question is, how exactly am I expected to go to work and take care of my family with The Last Of Us, AC III, and GTA V all to be released (hopefully) end of 2012/beginning of 2013? How, huh? Answer that question for me, developers. :)

+ Hooligantuan on June 5th, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

So it’s pretty much SRS BSNS Uncharted?

I long for the day over-the-shoulder play goes out of style.

+ GandKHolmes on June 5th, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

Just a question is this going to be a multi-player game/////? Cant wait for t!!

+ XxElBigMex913xX on June 5th, 2012 at 10:09 am said:

Oh My Gosh
This Is Why Naughty Dog Doesn’t Disappoint Us
I’m So Getting This Game It Feels So Uncharted
“That Was An Amazing Game I’ve Ever Seen” :”D

+ porchmonkei4life on June 5th, 2012 at 3:05 pm said:

that was brutal and awesome

+ OmegaSpear on June 6th, 2012 at 1:34 am said:

I love everything i just saw in that demo. Can’t wait!

+ Dead-Redemtion98 on June 6th, 2012 at 7:17 am said:

Naughty Dog you guy’s are the best ever. Loved Uncharted 1,2,and 3 looking forward to The Last of Us.

+ Alex_Mason97 on June 10th, 2012 at 12:16 pm said:

Wow! This is a very amazing game!Surely , It will be mine the first day :-D

+ phyllito1 on June 11th, 2012 at 2:29 am said:

Naughty Dog PLEASE remove the gun Icon & bullet amount from the HUD. The only thing that should be there is the health bar & health pack, that’s it. I think you can get away with no HUD at all to be honest but the gun icons have got to go. There wouldn’t be any point in shooting a gun that doesn’t have any bullets if you can see it on the screen, get what I’m saying? That way it will be an even more immersive & an even bigger surprise for the gamer too to find out that way, that Joel is out of ammo. Someone please pass it on to them at least.

+ Lokz01 on June 12th, 2012 at 6:54 pm said:

Naughty Dog,whats is wrong with u guys.Do u guys have godly game -making games because i feel like u guys do. You guys are like gods of games. Please make this come out 12/31/12
because i am going to die with out this

+ Vexen18 on June 15th, 2012 at 10:29 am said:

Amazing!!! Great job Naughty Dog as usual. This looks spectacular and definitely one my most aniticipated games! I can’t wait to get my hands on this!

PAGE 1 2