GTAV PS4

E3 2012: Wonderbook: Book of Spells Features Writing from J.K. Rowling

Jenny Barbour's Avatar + Posted by Jenny Barbour on Jun 04, 2012 // Associate Producer

As you may have heard, PlayStation had some exciting news to reveal tonight.

For some time now, we have been working on a project called Wonderbook – an interactive book that uses Augmented Reality technology and PlayStation Move products to bring stories to life before your eyes. The AR in Wonderbook has been developed by London Studio – the team behind EyeToy and EyePet. We believe that this is the most advanced AR out there, not least because it utilizes brand new technology which enables enhanced fidelity.

Wonderbook is a physical book that will act as a platform for a range of different titles that the whole family will enjoy. Games, reading experiences, adventures – the possibilities are endless for Wonderbook, and we can’t wait to tell you more about the exciting things you can look forward to on this peripheral. It truly is one book, with a thousand stories. In North America, Wonderbook will be available for $39.99 for both the book and Blu-ray game.

Book-of-Spells-DragonBook-of-Spells-Incendio

The first story is one we are extremely proud to announce. Wonderbook: Book of Spells is a title developed by London Studio, with brand new writing from one of the world’s most popular authors – J.K. Rowling.

From the world of Harry Potter, Book of Spells is an enchanted textbook written over 200 years ago by Miranda Goshawk. Open the book and you are immediately transported to the Hogwarts library, where your lessons will begin. Chapter by chapter, you will be able to read about and practice 20 spells, picking up valuable experiences and lessons along the way – as well as house points – just like a student at Hogwarts.

We are proud to have the support and involvement from J.K. Rowling herself, who described the experience in her own words: “Wonderbook: Book of Spells is the closest a Muggle can come to a real spellbook. I’ve loved working with Sony’s creative team to bring my spells, and some of the history behind them, to life. This is an extraordinary device that offers a reading experience like no other.”

Book-of-Spells-InteractingBook-of-Spells-Theatre

From interactive reading experiences to dueling, spell-casting, and exciting new content, there’s so much to discover. We’re particularly proud of the Augmented Reality technology, and how we have used it to take storytelling to a whole new level. Over the coming months we’ll be bringing you dev diaries, behind the scenes previews, and much more – so watch this space. We can’t wait to tell you all about it – from what the artists have been working on, to how we brought J.K. Rowling’s background stories of the spells to life, so stay tuned for more on one of our most exciting titles this year.

31 Comments

+ guitarded77 on June 4th, 2012 at 7:44 pm said:

Interesting tech, but they dedicated too much of the show to this. Could have seen more stuff instead of spending 15min with this.

+ SEVENTH-INFINITE on June 4th, 2012 at 7:46 pm said:

Really…Wonderbook? Really?

+ DarkAkatosh on June 4th, 2012 at 7:52 pm said:

This is what every hardcore gamer wants to see, i’m sure!

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on June 4th, 2012 at 7:58 pm said:

I can definitely understand developing technology for younger gamers, but WAY too much time was spent on this. It’s a gimmick that will likely fail to attract the attention of younger gamers (or any gamers at all), in a time where gimmicky peripherals (motion controls, plastic guitars, etc) are falling by the wayside.

I predict that the super-long Wonderbook presentation lasted longer than actual legitimate interest in the product will.

+ Xcaligamer1 on June 4th, 2012 at 8:08 pm said:

release date soon i hope, 2 sold here already

+ allwasgood on June 4th, 2012 at 8:09 pm said:

This was so boring. I can’t believe how much time they spent on it. Watching some random woman attempting to us a motion controller to open a pretend paper door …

+ luvtoseek on June 4th, 2012 at 8:11 pm said:

Will you people give this a chance? If the demographics don’t fit you then you won’t be interested. But for kids & adults, that want this- it’s nice tech. Please, the reviews are not even in & some amazing authors have signed up. I hope DLC is in the picture, Jenny!

+ Elvick_ on June 4th, 2012 at 8:11 pm said:

Before you get a larger flood of hatred. Let me offer you my delight. I love it, the inner kid in me will buy this.

I do think that you spent far too much time on it and almost everything else for that matter. Except for AC3: Liberation, which was sadly glossed over pretty quick. ): You could have split the time better among more things.

That said, again, I’m looking forward to it.

+ Squiggle55 on June 4th, 2012 at 8:15 pm said:

I imagine kids will get a kick out of this. I hope people vent their e3 conference concerns on posts about e3 and not on a post like this specifically showing off people’s hard work.

+ KingSora08 on June 4th, 2012 at 8:23 pm said:

Sony, I’m a big supporter of yours, but come on….this is just sad. This may be nice for kids, but it doesn’t look like something kids will care about. Why not update the camera and put out AR cards with the new camera. It’s so fuzzy and the graphics of the AR take away from the experience cause they so much better than whats on the camera behind it.

+ KingSora08 on June 4th, 2012 at 8:27 pm said:

I don’t think you failed this E3 I was Just hoping for so much more like, Final Fantasy X HD, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Kingdom Hearts 3, The Last Guardian, something from the Infamous Universe, etc. I’m not mad at you Sony, just disappointed.

+ FonFahbre on June 4th, 2012 at 8:46 pm said:

What Sony needs to do next time is dedicate their Move time on a separate event other then E3. Not to be rude and I know that this is targeted towards a separate consumer base but this was utterly boring to watch.

+ Elvick_ on June 4th, 2012 at 9:00 pm said:

@12: They just spent too much time on it. They should have done a trailer for it, we didn’t need a huge presentation for this kind of thing to get what it was about.

I agree with 10 that you should update the camera. I’d gladly throw away the PS Eye for an HD PS Eye that’s better at everything and can compete directly feature wise with Kinect.

+ lisatsunami on June 4th, 2012 at 9:10 pm said:

I love Harry Potter so I am interested in hearing more but yes, too much awkward time spent on what looks like amazing tech, especially for families.

+ MarcoRelius on June 4th, 2012 at 9:20 pm said:

Really ? Waste all that e3 time on stuff like this instead of showing more stuff for the Vita which really needs it right now? Im just totally shocked and thought THIS e3 was going to shine for Vita. Very dissapointed

+ Kchow23 on June 4th, 2012 at 9:43 pm said:

Too much time was wasted on this… Would’ve preferred to have seen LBP Karting or a handful of PS Vita games.

+ MojaMojaKumaSan on June 4th, 2012 at 9:58 pm said:

I agree with some of the comments regarding Wonderbook. I think it’s an interesting piece of technology, but I really think Sony should be spending more time and energy raising awareness of the PlayStation Move by putting out more PS-Move only titles. Why introduce this peripheral if the Move isn’t as prolific as Kinnect has become? It feels like Nintendo circa-2008; throwing peripherals out to generate more sales of the motion controller.

+ CaptainJames99 on June 4th, 2012 at 9:58 pm said:

I have to agree with the rest on this. Was hoping for more variety at E3. Really this is an overpriced substitute for a colouring book & crayons. I’m not a big fan of move but I’d be surprised if those who are didn’t want something else. Some PSN improvements would be more favourable at anytime not just E3. Something for the RPG crowd would’ve been cool.

+ DZORMAGEN on June 4th, 2012 at 10:04 pm said:

Call me old-fashioned but I would rater just read a book how I have been doing for all these years…do we really need this for a video game console?

+ BLUExEYED-SLICKT on June 4th, 2012 at 10:50 pm said:

No digital release option as well means no sale from me. I’m sick of this only digital release stuff on day 1 from ps3 games. Why is it they can do digital day 1 on vita games but not on ps3?

+ BLUExEYED-SLICKT on June 4th, 2012 at 10:52 pm said:

Whoops meant to say I’m sick of this only disc release day 1 stuff and not digital as well. Messed up above!

+ LiLb509 on June 4th, 2012 at 11:27 pm said:

i think this is awesome technology. i have three kids and we love potter movies so this is sweet. Have tosee where it goes. yes i also agree with most of you guys though as the vita needs to use more functions for playstation 3. move can be so much better.

+ explosive78 on June 5th, 2012 at 5:27 am said:

GREAT IDEA! Please listen: This is not my cup of tea, but I see genius! I was at the last Harry potter movie release and seen people of all ages and races dressed like Harry with wooden sticks in there hands. There is a huge fan base that we are all aware of and they would love this. The make it or break it point will be ADVERTISEMENT. You don’t need big stars, special effects or even music in the back ground. Just make 3 30sec. Commercials showing off the best of what it can do, like the iPad commercials. For once sony believe in your product and not the fanfare. I remember the first uncharted commercial i had to explain to him it was a game, because there was so much CG that it didn’t look like one. It wasn’t even in game CG. The same with most of you commercials.

+ jgrizzle358 on June 5th, 2012 at 6:12 am said:

why so much hate on the Wonderbook? are children not allowed to enjoy all the consoles or what? Companies make money by pandering to ALL demographics. Not just the hardcore gamers.

I personally think it’s fair and unbiased for all the consoles to have casual games, hardcore games, and children’s games. It opens them up to a bigger audience and gives the consumers more options.

To be honest, saying we shouldn’t have “kids toys” like Wonderbook is kind of selfish and douchey.

+ jgrizzle358 on June 5th, 2012 at 6:13 am said:

+ jgrizzle358 on June 5th, 2012 at 6:13 am said:

One of the biggest things gamers fail to realize is that there are gamers of all shapes and sizes our there, each with different tastes, and while something may not be appealing to you, that doesn’t automatically make it “garbage”, as it may be appealing to someone else.

I think the fact that Sony and Microsoft are releasing games for younger people is a very good. It’s good for business, it’s good for families, and it’s good for us gamers who have younger siblings, cousins, kids, ect cuz we all know how annoying it can be when they see us playing a game and they want to try but they’re too young or it’s above their skill level. With things like Wonderbook and EyePet we are making EVERYBODY happy, not just some people. And making everyone happy is what gaming is all about

+ HongoXIII on June 5th, 2012 at 6:13 am said:

Wonderbook is a cool idea, just not something you spend 20 minutes on stage talking about. Before E3 or a few months before the holiday shopping season, sure, but not at a once a year event like E3.

That said, here’s to hoping it’s successful.

+ TruRage on June 5th, 2012 at 8:33 am said:

I can see why the hard-core gamers are hating the fact that this shouldn’t have been in Sony’s E3 Press Conference, but everyone has to remember that this event primarily caters to the press. So I can see why Sony decided to reveal this tech. Personally, I think its a great tech for the kiddies.

+ jakethemeansnake on June 5th, 2012 at 9:17 am said:

E3 2012 IS GETTING AWSOME

+ Agent_Jones on June 5th, 2012 at 7:01 pm said:

meh. Shoulda spent the time talking about The Last Guardian.

+ JustinSaneV2 on June 5th, 2012 at 11:43 pm said:

Too bad the video quality of the PS Eye is abysmal and looks nothing like what you see in trailers and commercials.