PS4 - Transistor

Babel Rising on PSN Today, Unleash God-Like Powers with PS Move

Michel Bams's Avatar + Posted by Michel Bams on Jun 12, 2012 // Marketing Director, Mando Productions

Available later today on PSN, Babel Rising puts god-like powers in gamer’s hands as they smite humans who are attempting to build the Tower of Babel. Conjure up a series of divine powers – tornadoes, tsunamis, earthquakes and more – to halt the progress of the pesky humans.

BABR_Tower 2_Wind 1 & Fire 2

When developing the game, we looked to really empower the players. Having players use these powers with a PS3 DualShock controller was great, but we wanted to really immerse the players and make them feel powerful, which led us to integrate the PlayStation Move motion controller.

The precision of PlayStation Move led to the development of our movements – a small gesture and a large gesture. We wanted to create believable movements that empowered players. Releasing the smaller powers, which occur frequently, would require smaller gestures while the devastating ultimate powers demand much larger, powerful gestures.

BABR_Tower 1_Earth 3

In addition to the fun of feeling almighty, the PlayStation Move also offers a good balance to the player between concentration and action. As the ultimate powers take more time to reload, the unleashing of them uses an impressive gesture is an additional reward for the player. During the gameplay tests with the PlayStation Move, we noticed that the players were much more aware of the ultimate power gauge and started anticipating the ability to use another powerful gesture.

BABR_Tower 1_Tidal_Wave

Babel Rising will be available today on the PlayStation Store for $9.99. Enjoy!

41 Comments   1 Reply

+ fathead170 on June 12th, 2012 at 1:58 pm said:

looks great! does it require move or can it be played with dualshock ?

Michel Bams's Avatar

+ Alex Monney on June 12th, 2012 at 2:27 pm said:

Babel Rising is playable with a DualShock controller.

+ gameman16 on June 12th, 2012 at 1:59 pm said:

If all you do is smite people then it will fail very badly.Although if I could make them build a statue in my honor then it would be cool.

+ BlindsideDork on June 12th, 2012 at 2:00 pm said:

…on to important questions!

Will we be getting a lovely demo with this title?

+ Parhibition on June 12th, 2012 at 2:02 pm said:

Is the PS Move controller required or just more god-like?

+ BlindsideDork on June 12th, 2012 at 2:05 pm said:

You can use both controller methods.

+ Killerklam on June 12th, 2012 at 2:05 pm said:

Both can be used.

+ mcbuttz78 on June 12th, 2012 at 2:07 pm said:

i hope theres power of taxes. I been looking forward to this for very long time. TIme to flood the world with jelly fish.. you do have jelly fish right>>?

mcbuttz78
vp-psn legioniare group

+ FORMIK on June 12th, 2012 at 2:08 pm said:

Was this announced at E3? I didn’t hear anything about this. It’s interesting how there was a Move display and an Ubisoft presentation, and this wasn’t brought up. What else is out there?

Let’s get a video on the store, if not a demo! This has promise.

+ Parhibition on June 12th, 2012 at 2:09 pm said:

@6
That’s sort of what made me think a dualshock could be used, but it also made me think “we liked it this way, but decided to redesign it this way instead”. Also thought I saw something somewhere that said it was required.

+ Tchanku on June 12th, 2012 at 2:11 pm said:

Seems like a kinda tower defense game…except you are killing the hoards on the tower…but I could be way off…Post some game play!

+ luvtoseek on June 12th, 2012 at 2:15 pm said:

Have not heard too much about this… but those backdrops are beautiful. I hope they’re not static; still, color me interested!

+ LegendaryHero4 on June 12th, 2012 at 2:18 pm said:

Cool game.
Is there a human trying to build the tower mode?
With resources and all.

+ D-Squad3 on June 12th, 2012 at 2:21 pm said:

Free for PS+? Haha

+ fathead170 on June 12th, 2012 at 2:32 pm said:

looks like a game that will be free 99 for ps+ eventually i think i can wait kinda weird how ps+ makes me not want to buy games an just wait for them to be free but whatever long as everyones making money right?

+ PainOfSarrow on June 12th, 2012 at 3:00 pm said:

i will be purchasing this on the weekend, just hope there is other game modes and nott just one Tower there Building over and over. demo would be nice, we should see…

+ GGCAN on June 12th, 2012 at 3:09 pm said:

Thanks for the heads up Michel.

Looks like fun and the price is right too !

We need more Move games like this.

+ JrXC on June 12th, 2012 at 3:27 pm said:

First I’ve heard of this but looks pretty cool, will there be a demo?

+ AsiaQatar on June 12th, 2012 at 3:36 pm said:

Why can’t PSN be like XBLA and demand a demo for all games released on the Network?
Why can’t developers & publishers see that releasing a demo is integral for us consumers with smaller titles like this?

This looks pretty interesting, but I like MANY others aren’t going to touch it if we can’t try before we buy.
Iit’ll go into my “meh, maybe if there’s a 50% off sale” category, like so many other demo-less titles out there.

And bang! It’s off my radar…

+ FATHASUN on June 12th, 2012 at 3:43 pm said:

Will the be future DLC. I can image new towers as civilizations progress and become more advanced. Further challenging the GOD that I am! Eventually reaching the point where they get to my level and wage all out war upon me causing me to eradicate them completely!

+ lisatsunami on June 12th, 2012 at 4:11 pm said:

Why can’t people who whine about “why can’t PSN be more like Xb..” shut up & go away to enjoy that horrible advertising cacophony that is the X dashboard? Did they go on the X blog every day & whine “why can’t X be like PSN & be free to play online & have a web browser & give free games every freakin’ month…”. Well, did you?

I got my first X a month ago so I know that the only thing better on X is kinect voice command, so I can yell dragon shouts in Skyrim.

Ok, that being said, I never heard of this game before today. Thank you, Ubi, for more Move games. Ubi has got it going on!

+ FeistFan on June 12th, 2012 at 4:32 pm said:

Looks interesting. Do you focus all your damage on the tower, or do you cause disasters in the surrounding city as well? Do you get to see the whole thing come crashing down? Do you earn points for…how fast you destroy the tower, how many builders get taken out, or some other metric?

A demo would be great — a video, at the very least, would be helpful.

+ zennacko on June 12th, 2012 at 5:34 pm said:

Sounds great but… Where’s the store update for this week? it was supposed to be live right now… also, is this happening only with me or the PSN is unstable? I’m getting a lot of 80023017 errors and my internet connection is working fine :X

+ Yohmaru_EX on June 12th, 2012 at 6:01 pm said:

Zennacko, i’m getting the same error. U_U

+ AsiaQatar on June 12th, 2012 at 6:02 pm said:

@ 20
Man you’re cool…

I mean that whole story about how you got an X..?

So cool.

SO. COOL!!

+ T40Rs731N on June 12th, 2012 at 6:15 pm said:

9:13 PM on the East Coast…. where is the Update?

+ GalatasarayEken on June 12th, 2012 at 6:36 pm said:

where is the playstation store june 12 update , im recieving constant errors aswell, todays TUESDAY basically WEDNESDAY in 2 hours, bad time management Sony

+ MakoXL on June 12th, 2012 at 6:44 pm said:

No update here yet either :(

+ supvic on June 12th, 2012 at 6:48 pm said:

Still no update.. maybe Rey is still worn out from E3?

+ Grif05 on June 12th, 2012 at 7:06 pm said:

Yeah sitting here 10:05 est and yet no update? Really Sony?

+ honkayjeezus on June 12th, 2012 at 7:17 pm said:

I smell an update, but I don’t see it yet.

+ Emerald_Swords on June 12th, 2012 at 7:23 pm said:

Looks interesting, gotta check it out when the store actually updates.

+ HyperFlash on June 12th, 2012 at 8:06 pm said:

i can think of a fast easy way to stop them completely….make them have different languages. just like God did waaaaaay back then

+ diegovcarvalho on June 12th, 2012 at 8:52 pm said:

Still no update

+ SpooNManX on June 12th, 2012 at 9:16 pm said:

Ok, it’s technically now Wednesday and there was no PSN update.
Was it canceled?

I think they should have paced themselves and not release a ton of freebies in the first week of the month.

+ aduarsaenz76 on June 12th, 2012 at 9:17 pm said:

no update today or what

+ DevanGelic on June 12th, 2012 at 9:17 pm said:

hmm, 12:17am EST on a Wednesday morning and still no update? Was the previous weeks of good update behavior only for show? Nah, couldn’t be. Because E3 was on and a lot of stuff was going on behind the scenes more than usual. Must be post-E3, akin to Monday mornings syndrome happening.

+ drd7of14 on June 12th, 2012 at 9:20 pm said:

Yeah, there was some sort of problem, although I can’t remember the error code, with going on to the playstation store about an hour and a half ago. Perhaps it is related, but the whole psn wasn’t down. I don’t recall a store update ever being missed, save maybe during the blackout last year. It’s just weird because they posted about the Escape Plan update, Pulzar, and of course Babel. Very strange. I look forward to Tuesdays’ updates. I wonder what’s up.

+ AsiaQatar on June 12th, 2012 at 9:21 pm said:

Go to the store and search for what you want. The stuff is there.

+ Rorek_IronBlood on June 12th, 2012 at 9:29 pm said:

… Guys, guys! It’s Sony (North America). What the hell did you expect? These slobs never get ANYTHING right. I heard that Sony (Japan) bought the entire North American branch from Soviet Russia’s own space chimp program. Which actually would explain a lot.

I would honestly be surprised if any of them knew what their job was. Much less how to operate a computer.

+ Tyfighter80 on June 12th, 2012 at 9:32 pm said:

Define “today”

Honestly I feel bad for these devs. The majority of games take years to finish and they get treated like this?

Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen tbh.

+ WolfyHopeless on June 13th, 2012 at 2:32 am said:

@ Hyperflash

THANK YOU LOL. I was wondering if I was the only one who found humor in all this.

Unleash God-Like powers…. because… well… you ARE God.

I wonder if that particular part in the Bible will be considered a strategy guide now.