PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Gravity Rush Launches Today on PS Vita – Get the Inside Scoop on DLC

Keiichiro Toyama's Avatar + Posted by Keiichiro Toyama on Jun 12, 2012 // Game Director

To help celebrate today’s U.S. launch of Gravity Rush for PlayStation Vita, I’m excited to share this new trailer which will give you a taste of what the game has in store for you:

Gravity Rush was based on the inspiration I received from the artwork I saw in a magazine when I was a teenager. When I joined the industry, I thought that someday I would want to create a game with a world setting as vivid as that piece of art.

It’s been awhile since Japanese videogames have carried the clout that they used to in our industry. When I began my career, I was striving to find a way to break through. I thought about making a game based on the top global marketing strategies, major genres that were popular at that time, and even based on a character that would be widely accepted in the Western market. However, none of those concepts produced the results I desired, which is when I realized I was trying to put the cart in front of the horse.

After that, my ideas began to gain more momentum. The Gravity Rush project started with the simple idea of ‘making something based on my original vision,’ a game that has a brand new and exciting mechanic, gorgeous visuals, a captivating setting, fascinating storyline, and lovable characters. The goal was to deliver a game that contained each of these aspects. If you think of it, that’s what most games are targeting, and it makes sense to go back to the basics.

During the production process, we faced a few challenges and there were times when the game was misunderstood. However, thanks to the potential of PlayStation Vita, we were able to create something completely unique to the market. The path we took was similar to the character Kat’s, where she started off unsure of herself, but slowly gained the trust of her peers and became accepted and admired.

We’ve been receiving a tremendous amount of feedback from players since the title was released in Japan. I was both surprised and overwhelmed by the amount of comments I received. Most of the feedback was positive, and one comment that really touched me was: “It’s been awhile since I enjoyed a game like this that is truly innovative, and I believe that only a Japanese developer could have created such a work of art.” I really feel that my vision fit what the players wanted to see, and that I have truly achieved what I was striving for. That comment almost brought me to tears. This assured me that our thought process wasn’t wrong. I feel a state of fulfillment, and I’m sincerely hoping that everyone who plays the game will have a similar opinion.

Gravity Rush Military DLC

With Gravity Rush launching today in the U.S., I wanted to not only take this opportunity to reflect on my experience creating the game, but look to the future and share that we have a great lineup of DLC on the way. First, I’m pleased to announce that if you purchase Gravity Rush for the first week on PSN for $35.99, you’ll also receive the Military DLC Pack for free (this promotion will run from 6/12 to 6/19).

Gravity Rush Spy DLC

In addition, on June 26th we’ll be releasing the Spy Pack. For just $3.99 you’ll receive a Spy Costume as well as two exciting new Side Missions and two Challenge Missions to unlock.

Gravity Rush Maid DLC

Then, on July 10th, you’ll be able to download the Maid Pack. Priced at $3.99, the Maid Pack offers a stylish Maid Costume and two additional unlockable Side Missions and Challenge Missions.

If you miss out on the Military Pack during launch week, you will also have the opportunity to purchase it starting on July 24th for $3.99.

I hope that you enjoy experiencing Gravity Rush and these three DLC packs as much as the team and I enjoyed creating them!

329 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 2 3 4 7

+ luvtoseek on June 12th, 2012 at 10:06 am said:

@34, I know that all the DLC are finished in Japan. However, if you thought all the DLC would be included in the US & EU release then likely the retail price for Gravity Rush would also be increased right? What ifba buyer simply wanted the original game & did not want to pay more? Instead, Sony was cool about it & packed in some DLC for pre-orders & first week purchasers.

@39, well, the nature of portable DLC has so far been on the small scale compared to console DLC such as Skyrim’s Dawnguard. It depends what type of gamer you are- some sell after finishing the game & others enjoy the title w/ the means to replay it (high attachment rate), etc. The marketing is done this way also for research. It displays a sales/interest arc as DLC is released & that will decide whether or not there will be a sequel.

+ NoGodsOnlyMan on June 12th, 2012 at 10:09 am said:

dlc included in digital version= buying it right now

that was the only thing holding me back, now lets play with gravity mayhem

+ luvtoseek on June 12th, 2012 at 10:19 am said:

@50, haha, it’s tough to follow your advice. New games w/ their pre-order incentives are the only way devs can push for higher sales within their week/month of release. Early betas, costumes, exclusive missions, etc., are offered because the consumers’ time is limited & they know it. Sometimes I can wait for a “complete” edition… sometimes I can’t. :D

+ Tchanku on June 12th, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

@44 xFrod – No, according to the above post they will be releasing more DLC later this month, and two DLC packs in July, that add only couple side quests and outfits each. It doesn’t seem like the best marketing strategy.

+ hyx820 on June 12th, 2012 at 10:29 am said:

seriously, update the store please.

+ boxmyth on June 12th, 2012 at 10:38 am said:

This is a no-hesitation buy for me. I love everything about it.

+ CyPhErLoUs on June 12th, 2012 at 10:41 am said:

If I go pick up the game at Best Buy today, will the DLC come with it? I haven’t really kept up with releases lately.

+ hakuzilla on June 12th, 2012 at 10:45 am said:

@57 nope. DLC for hardcopy is for the Amazon/Gamestop preorders only.

Still no sign of Grav Rush on the PSN. The fak.

+ mckg123456789 on June 12th, 2012 at 10:50 am said:

Just got my pre order an hour ago. AMAZING PORTABLE GAME! Cannot wait until i get my pre order dlc from Best Buy (Gatta wait for the email :p)

+ PRSavinos on June 12th, 2012 at 10:56 am said:

Still waiting my GR and MGS:HD…

+ mhcelo on June 12th, 2012 at 11:06 am said:

i can’t wait! update Psn now!

+ Lexfor on June 12th, 2012 at 11:10 am said:

Any word on some PS+ discounts for the game or DLC?

+ Agitokazu on June 12th, 2012 at 11:12 am said:

An amazing game ^_^ I picked up the game at midnight at Walmart… Too bad they didn’t have metal gear solid… Which I’ll be searching stores today for… But I love gravity rush ^_^

+ ftlaudman on June 12th, 2012 at 11:15 am said:

Would it ruin some vast, eternal plan… If Tuesday PSN Store updates went live at 12:00am? Waiting all day is really a drag. I just want to give you my money!

+ CyPhErLoUs on June 12th, 2012 at 11:15 am said:

@58 dammit! that sucks! :( still going to go get it later today even though it would’ve been nice to have the dlc also

+ tanedos on June 12th, 2012 at 11:21 am said:

Update PSN already, I don’t want to walk down the street to GameStop for this when I can buy and DL here at work NOW!. Little help please?

+ reson8er on June 12th, 2012 at 11:22 am said:

@Hooligantuan

I have absolutely zero issues with pre-ordering itself. I do it all the time. What I do have issue with is the lack of communication on Sony’s part when I asked the question directly.

When you listen to Jeff, Sid and anyone else at Sony they always say they read each post, but curiously they chose not to reply when asked a direct and simple question. I will gladly pre-order things when I want to, I have no problem being an early adopter, but I do take exception to the vague non-answer they chose to leave people thinking the only way to get the dlc was to buy a physical copy.

+ ZeroPR on June 12th, 2012 at 11:27 am said:

I was rellally looking foward to play this game! cant wait till i get out of work to go pick it up :))

+ mckg123456789 on June 12th, 2012 at 11:30 am said:

@ 58 and Best buy ;)

+ Slaysme on June 12th, 2012 at 11:38 am said:

Hey, Sony guys. Check it out here first. You’d better do this.

PS+ vita. Comes with standard plus. The only perk is a simple one. Retail games available one week early on Psn. Costs you little/nothing, and profits soar, more dd titles are sold= more $ for you. Probabaly sell more vita systems too.

You could even throw a Psp game a month Into the mix,just because you need to be perceived as caring about us.

On topic, even though I had a copy of GR enroute from gamefly( with intentions to keep, and use my 5$ coupon) I’m going to bite the bullet for the dlc, and just get it DD, ASAP. Can’t wait for this fantastic looking game. Best wishes, and I hope you sell lots!

+ tanedos on June 12th, 2012 at 11:38 am said:

And… the cliche, Is it there yet?

+ D-Squad3 on June 12th, 2012 at 11:47 am said:

Are you guys even gonna show commercials of this game TV? I doubt it, another great game that’s gonna be overlooked due to horrible marketing.

+ Capshot18 on June 12th, 2012 at 11:57 am said:

This game, along with Uncharted, was the main reason I bought a Vita. Deeply looking forward to getting it.

+ ck2875 on June 12th, 2012 at 12:05 pm said:

THANK YOU for giving the PSN purchasers the pre-order DLC! I had basically decided I wasn’t going to purchase this game since you were shunning the PSN store and I am unwilling to purchase a brick and mortar retail copy.

+ NASTY_KI77J0Y on June 12th, 2012 at 12:07 pm said:

Can’t wait to play this game! Too bad I’m waiting for the PSN store to update, it should have been available for download at midnight!

+ hakuzilla on June 12th, 2012 at 12:08 pm said:

I’m honestly beginning to think they completely forgot what day it is.

+ tanedos on June 12th, 2012 at 12:09 pm said:

@76 Agreed, just need to hit a few buttons to update it. I’m sure it’s just sitting on the server and it’s just missing links and update on store front.

+ luvtoseek on June 12th, 2012 at 12:35 pm said:

@76, oh relax abit. :) My cousin has my Vita & now since he’s out from school, there’s a text from him every 5 minutes since 3:10. Grace & her team is working on it; for now everybody do something productive- workout, read the newspaper, prepare dinner, or, as I’ve replied to my cousin, do your homework! Alot of exciting content today & this month too (open world Lego: Batman!), let’s not beat ourselves up while we wait.

+ imSevenup on June 12th, 2012 at 12:38 pm said:

Shut up and take my money!

+ azariaspice on June 12th, 2012 at 12:46 pm said:

Completely slipped my mind this was out today. I thought it was out the 19th. Might pick this up to play while I wait for my PS3′s harddrive to finish restoring my backup (then it’s back to Lollipop Chainsaw!).

+ Kchow23 on June 12th, 2012 at 1:08 pm said:

Just picked up the game this morning and I can’t wait to play it! Any chance that we can purchase all the DLC as a bundle for a small discount?

+ kikiotsuka on June 12th, 2012 at 1:09 pm said:

@Keiichiro Toyama I pre-ordered the game from amazon.com, so am I still qualified for the military suit DLC?

+ reson8er on June 12th, 2012 at 1:12 pm said:

@ kikiotsuka Amazon will email you a code for the DLC, check your inbox!

+ HaplessHare on June 12th, 2012 at 1:15 pm said:

Why is the PSN update taking so long? :(

+ Hatberserker on June 12th, 2012 at 1:15 pm said:

Come on psn update already!

+ corey2678 on June 12th, 2012 at 1:19 pm said:

Really excited for Gravity Rush and all of it’s DLC! This is the game I got the vita for. Just wish the store update was live right now.

+ CrusaderForever on June 12th, 2012 at 1:27 pm said:

Thank you for all your hard work in creating Gravity Rush. I will be buying it as soon as the store updates. Looking forward to throwing more money your way on up coming DLC. Also, thanks for including the Military Pack DLC with the digital version. That was truly classy and puts you in the same class as devs like CD Projeckt and Evolution Studios. I hope we’ll see a Gravity Rush 2 at some point in the future!

+ ShugoWah on June 12th, 2012 at 1:29 pm said:

I keep poking New Releases but nothing happens!

What sorcery is this?!

+ ItsLuigiTime on June 12th, 2012 at 1:39 pm said:

I’ll already be getting the Military Pack since I pre-ordered the game at GameStop, but more DLC is always awesome. I’ve been waiting for this game for a LONG time, and I don’t often say that about video games.

+ Crono_Breaker on June 12th, 2012 at 1:48 pm said:

Weres the update? Im gonna buy the game from PSN; my retailers sucks!

+ BurritoShooter66 on June 12th, 2012 at 1:57 pm said:

When will psn store be updated i want to get the game demo was kick ass

+ igorrocks2 on June 12th, 2012 at 1:58 pm said:

Sony I am bagging you update store please before I die tomorrow on operation table Having 2 wisdom teeth removed tomorrow you know how serious it is…

+ QuantumMercury on June 12th, 2012 at 2:08 pm said:

I just bought the game new in hard copy form, looks like we don’t get any free DLC?

+ irvingdee on June 12th, 2012 at 2:09 pm said:

SOOOOONNNYYYYYYY HASSS TOOOO PUTT THIS UP WITH METAL GEAR HD ON PSN AAAAASSSSAAAAPPP

+ Lonewolf-_-Sx on June 12th, 2012 at 2:15 pm said:

I am definitely getting this game 100% sure.

+ Sevyne on June 12th, 2012 at 2:19 pm said:

This game right here was what hooked me into buying a Vita to begin with. Picked up my preorder around noon and played until my Vita battery died out. So far it’s exactly all I hoped it would be. Fantastic game! I got my eyes on that Sky Pack too. Dat Catsuit!

+ Panzerteufel on June 12th, 2012 at 2:20 pm said:

I am throwing my money at the screen but nothing is happening! ):
I haven’t been so excited about a game for quite a long time (:

+ luvtoseek on June 12th, 2012 at 2:28 pm said:

@92, haha, best of luck tomorrow! But no worries, it’s a very simple procedure- you’ll have some trouble eating & talking… death is not part of the equation! 8)

+ Donelwero on June 12th, 2012 at 2:29 pm said:

Ohhh come on Sony!!! Don’t make us wait anymore, I’ll be buying MGS HD Collection and Gravity Rush today!!!

lol I’m also throwing money at the PS Vita but nothing is happening!!!! :(

+ DarkS2K on June 12th, 2012 at 2:32 pm said:

Come on Sony update the store already. Digital content should be released at midnight!

PAGE 1 2 3 4 7