Driveclub

PSone Classic Tomba! Pounces to PSN Today

Ray Almeda's Avatar + Posted by Ray Almeda on Jun 19, 2012 // Marketing Manager, MonkeyPaw Games

While MonkeyPaw Games continues to deliver import experiences from Japan, we also have plenty of classic PlayStation titles in our library to satisfy nostalgic needs of even the most dedicated PlayStation fan. Today, we’ll be releasing the platforming-adventure classic Tomba! on the PSN. It will mark the first time that our pink-haired hero will be available digitally. It will be available for exclusive download in the PSone Classics section.

Created by Tokuro Fujiwara, the same mastermind that brought us the memorable Ghosts & Goblins and Mega Man, the fresh mix of platforming and sub-quest based adventures make Tomba! one of the most ingenious and versatile PlayStation titles in the Store.

The story follows Tomba, a wild jungle boy who needs to get his lucky golden bracelet back from demon pigs that have overrun his land. He’ll be using numerous weapons such as boomerangs and a large mace to overthrow a wide range of foes from evil pigs, spiders and large forest creatures.

The combination of unique 2D sprite and 3D backgrounds for Tomba! are great examples of game art at its finest in the late 90s, and remains visually pleasing even to this day. Also intriguing is that Tomba!’s gameplay is structured around earning Adventure Points by completing certain tasks such as helping trapped villagers or finding a lost item in a cave. Collecting more and more Adventure Points (AP) enables your wild jungle boy to pass through numerous area zones in the game. This is what truly makes Tomba! a unique and classic PlayStation platformer.

One of the most critically acclaimed features about the game is that all the sub-quests are different, eliminating repetition and keeping gameplay fresh from beginning to end. This also allows players to complete areas at their own pace with an option to undertake the hundreds of other hidden sub-quests. Exploration certainly isn’t discouraged here!

If you’re looking for hours and hours of classic PlayStation fun, look no further and download Tomba! Later today when it hits PlayStation Store. MonkeyPaw Games hopes you’ll like this edition and continue to give us your game suggestions. Like Tomba!, we’ll continue to listen and go after those otherworld classics! Follow us on Twitter at @MonkeyPawGames and help us relive your favorite PlayStation memories or reignite forgotten ones.

PAGE 1 2

+ etur0 on June 19th, 2012 at 8:45 pm said:

@remanutd5 and anyone else that wants to play this on the vita

they said at the Sony press Conference at E3 that ps1 support is coming to the vita I believe sometime this summer

+ MilaNumber14 on June 20th, 2012 at 1:00 am said:

Will there be Tomba 2 :D ??

Ray Almeda's Avatar

+ Ray Almeda on June 27th, 2012 at 7:58 pm said:

We’re focusing on trying to get Tomba to Europe first.

+ EggySong85 on June 20th, 2012 at 1:38 am said:

Sweet! Can’t wait to play it on my Vita! … Oh wait.

+ Jackal888 on June 20th, 2012 at 3:58 am said:

Great I love Tomba! There are still games that other classic games regions have:

Bushido Blade
Einhänder
RayCrisis
Silent Bomber
Tomba! 2: The Evil Swine Return

Then there is a series that is shamefully overlooked.

Colony Wars

+ Oisterboy on June 20th, 2012 at 5:39 am said:

Tomba is easily in my top 3 favorite games of all time. And I’ve been a gamer for 20 years. I literally cheered when I saw this.

Thanks so much.

+ pantsme on June 20th, 2012 at 7:29 am said:

This is fantastic! A good friend of mine absolutely loved Tomba! and, even though I never played it, it’s always looked like a blast. $10 seems worth it.

Although, I have to agree with @ytl1986: The original Tenchu would be a fantastic addition to the PSN.

+ yagamikun on June 20th, 2012 at 2:12 pm said:

And I now have even more PS1 games I want to play on my Vita…I know how corporate timing works in wanting to promote certain features at certain times to increase longevity, but dont brush it under the rug when the feature to play PS1 Classics on the Vita is finally released. It is a VERY important feature to your most ardent fans and many people I know are waiting to get a Vita for this very reason. :) Make it well known to all users.

+ napalmXzero on June 20th, 2012 at 3:08 pm said:

Very nice!
i would like Tomba! 2 too..

+ HomieHesAKlown on June 20th, 2012 at 7:02 pm said:

Weak, already own it, not buying it again nor does my Vita even support this…hell, not even the psp supported it, I had to convert my copy myself + a jailbreak.

+ HomieHesAKlown on June 20th, 2012 at 7:02 pm said:

5+ years too late

+ jacob_w_18 on June 21st, 2012 at 12:19 am said:

Tomba! Awesome. Now we need Dragon Quest VII, Metal Gear Solid VR Missions, Tomba! 2, anything Mega Man, and PsOne support for Vita…not to mention support for Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play, PacMan Championship Ed., and AngryBirds. Someday soon hopefully. Sorry for ranting. Just bored…

+ smokinrammbo on June 22nd, 2012 at 5:32 am said:

Tales of destiny. Is there any thing else worth mentioning. This is an awesome rpg. All should play this would a be a great addition to the psn network.

+ pdomara on June 25th, 2012 at 9:00 am said:

Of course Europe gets everything last….hurry up and bring it to Europe Sony!!!!!

+ XXROINUJXX on June 26th, 2012 at 7:11 pm said:

we need more ps1/ps2 classics!

+ Evengrow on June 26th, 2012 at 10:20 pm said:

The dream comes true!

+ lcortes88 on July 1st, 2012 at 5:11 pm said:

Please Bring Tomba 2 On USA PSN… I seriously don’t want to spend $60-$100 on tomba 2 on ebay… by the way i bought Tomba a few days ago on PSN and will immediately buy Tomba 2 if it ever comes out on PSN USA…

+ DEEninetysix96 on July 2nd, 2012 at 1:56 am said:

Awesome! Never heard of it before but it looks like it might be worth a play when PSOne classics come to the vita. I’d love to see:

- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 4

On the store! One question – Are all the PSOne classics going to be available for the vita at launch? If not, how long before they’re all rolled out?

+ omar-165 on July 5th, 2012 at 9:37 pm said:

Now all we need is Tomba 2!!! ^-^

+ TheBotfighter on July 11th, 2012 at 7:01 am said:

Awesome to see something finally happened with this game, it trully is a psone classic. When you are talking about trying to get it to the Europe store, would that include Australia because we are pal as well, or not? Because I know at least three other people aside from me that would definately buy it. And for other games to import, Crash Bash was always a fun multiplayer, even if it wasn’t Naughty Dog.

+ BSC7 on July 12th, 2012 at 12:08 pm said:

Buying this game as soon as I get online! Thanks for finally bringing this to PSN. I am a huge fan of MonkeyPaw, hope to see the sequel soon. I would also love to see Tomba on Battle Royale, it would definitely get a reservation from me. Thanks again, you guys rock!

PAGE 1 2