LittleBigPlanet 3

Download YouTube for PS Vita Today

Don Mesa's Avatar + Posted by Don Mesa on Jun 26, 2012 // Director, Product Planning & Platform Software Innovation, SCEA

YouTube for PS Vita

Hi everyone! Recently, we announced that YouTube would be coming to PS Vita. It’s the latest application to be added to PS Vita’s growing portfolio of applications and one that takes full advantage of PS Vita’s high-definition and 3G capabilities. Starting later today, the YouTube application will be available as a free download via the PS Vita Store on PSN.

With the YouTube application on PS Vita, you can watch millions of YouTube videos on PS Vita’s stunning 5” OLED screen. And with 3G, you can watch your favorite content – from comedy to gaming tips to viral videos – while you’re at home or on-the-go. The application itself is straightforward and easy to use. Key features include:

• Recommended Videos: Displays videos recommended from YouTube
  • Search: Search for videos by typing a keyword
  • Viewing History : Displays the most recent videos you’ve viewed
  • Add to Favorites: Displays a list of videos you’ve added to your Favorites list. You must be signed into your account to add a video to your Favorites.

YouTube for PS Vita

Videos will be viewable in two modes – full screen and small screen. In Full Screen mode, a control panel will be displayed on the screen, which will allow you to easily expand or minimize videos. Additionally, an HD button will appear when playing high definition (up to 720p) videos. Simply tap on the HD button to switch from HD to SD.

YouTube for PS Vita

In Small Screen mode, you’ll be able to view a video, while having access to the Like or Dislike buttons, Suggested Videos, Comments and Information.

PS Vita was designed to deliver the best high-resolution portable entertainment experience possible. We’re very excited to be able to offer the content and applications that are compelling to you, and we looking forward to bringing you more as we move further into 2012.

How will you use YouTube on your PS Vita? Let us know in the comments!

Youtube’s Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Community Guideline will apply when using this application. These terms can be viewed on Youtube’s website or from “Option” > “Settings” > “Terms and Privacy Policy” in the application.

+ yayday on June 26th, 2012 at 1:22 pm said:

Ok, I finally got it. xD I just had to close out of the PS Store app and re-open it and it poped up.

+ DZORMAGEN on June 26th, 2012 at 1:31 pm said:

Watching HD Videos on the PS Vita is AM-A-ZING!!! WoW!!!!!!!!!!!

+ mystikalguy on June 26th, 2012 at 1:33 pm said:

Wish this App could also make its way on the PS3

+ tsrtrueskill on June 26th, 2012 at 1:35 pm said:

still cant get youtube working

+ mavericknrt on June 26th, 2012 at 1:38 pm said:

yeah the quality is amazing and it doesnt even skip like it normally tends to on the pc

+ mavericknrt on June 26th, 2012 at 1:38 pm said:

or tneds to buffer for short periods of time

+ wolfetempest8469 on June 26th, 2012 at 1:42 pm said:

Ok, it is awesome, other than, I cannot seem to figure out how to sign into youtube, via the vita, it keeps messin with me saying it cannot authorize it on my vita, and I have created two accounts now, trying to get this to work. anyone? answers perhaps?

+ donopatay on June 26th, 2012 at 1:45 pm said:

Ok. I,ve tried the youtube app. It works. The interface still needs improvement. Still, I’m disappointed. I was hoping for a real flash/html5 plugin for the browser. I want to play streaming videos other than from youtube, you know?

Don Mesa's Avatar

+ Don Mesa on June 27th, 2012 at 10:50 pm said:

We’re chipping away at the browser…appreciate your patience.

+ tsrtrueskill on June 26th, 2012 at 1:47 pm said:

hey i only have wi fi will it work

+ mgsghostkiller1 on June 26th, 2012 at 1:49 pm said:

Thank you sony!! u should make more psvita exclusives. If burning skies waz on ps3 i will buy it cause better graphics more features n cost the same. so stick with psvita exclusives lemit cross play.

Don Mesa's Avatar

+ Don Mesa on June 27th, 2012 at 10:51 pm said:

Hard at work on exclusives!

+ Wakefulness on June 26th, 2012 at 1:51 pm said:

SCE,

Can you please allow for the recording and uploading of VITA games? Looking at the off-screen recordings of VITA games, they are not of high quality and allowing for a direct feed recording and “upload to youtube” button would be great.

Thanks!

-Wake

Don Mesa's Avatar

+ Don Mesa on June 27th, 2012 at 10:52 pm said:

We’re looking into various options. More to come on this topic.

+ Elvick_ on June 26th, 2012 at 1:57 pm said:

@36: The browser will never have flash. Regardless. Deal with it.

ADOBE DROPPED MOBILE FLASH SUPPORT A LONG TIME AGO, DEAL WITH IT. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT GO COMPLAIN TO ADOBE SO THEY’LL SUPPORT NEW MOBILE DEVICES WITH FLASH ONCE AGAIN.

OTHERWISE GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON.

Tired of people whining about “Sony” not having flash in the browser, when it’s not even their fault. Better HML5 would be nice, but we do have it to some degree.

+ JimmyChaos on June 26th, 2012 at 1:58 pm said:

Who else click the picture hoping a youtube video would start? lol

+ ozocky100 on June 26th, 2012 at 2:01 pm said:

I am having problems signing using my youtube account. Its telling me to use the PC browser and create a new account.

+ OmegaZed on June 26th, 2012 at 2:09 pm said:

Will I be able to upload videos I’ve recorded using my Vita onto Youtube through this app? Because that is kind of a big deal for me.

+ mavericknrt on June 26th, 2012 at 2:09 pm said:

ok there is one problem the search results dont exactly give you what you want

+ Donelwero on June 26th, 2012 at 2:16 pm said:

When I search for a video nothing comes up. I can’t see anything.

+ xbass247 on June 26th, 2012 at 2:23 pm said:

yea but wat time is ready for download ,i cant see it on psn yet , i want too dump the laptop now ,

+ fonkem on June 26th, 2012 at 2:23 pm said:

i can’t dowload pls i need help downloading

+ xbass247 on June 26th, 2012 at 2:24 pm said:

its 10.30 uk time ,is it ready for 12.00am

+ akibake on June 26th, 2012 at 2:28 pm said:

Have to admit, you guys did a good job with this YouTube app. The UX is actually pretty comfortable. Too bad the Vita won’t let you have the YouTube app running and a game open and paused in the background. Fast switching just isn’t possible, huh. HD videos do look gorgeous on the OLED screen.

+ Adasolsson97 on June 26th, 2012 at 2:30 pm said:

I cant see the youtube app here in sweden is it coming out today for sweden?

+ GreatDenster on June 26th, 2012 at 2:38 pm said:

Looks great! Can’t wait to get the app.

+ Dizzyegg08 on June 26th, 2012 at 2:50 pm said:

OK two comments baffled me.

1: Naruto Ultimate ninja Impact is available at least in the EU PSP store.

2: Adobe still update and support mobile flash on Android devices.
The comment saying otherwise is wrong.

+ Adasolsson97 on June 26th, 2012 at 3:05 pm said:

The youtube app is still not available in the eu playstation store im waiting!

+ Enkei-Xpress on June 26th, 2012 at 3:07 pm said:

Hi there,

Some features I’d personally like for to be added to the YouTube app are:

– A tab to see your new videos from your subscriptions.

– When searching for videos, choose filters like uploaded today, this week, this month, anytime.. etc etc..

– See the two top comments on a video.

– Be able to view a YouTube user’s channel & subscribe/add as a friend.

Please pass my suggestion/ideas to the team responsible for the app, thanks! :)

Don Mesa's Avatar

+ Don Mesa on June 27th, 2012 at 10:55 pm said:

Duly noted. Working with the team now…

+ xbass247 on June 26th, 2012 at 3:13 pm said:

i dont think we in the uk are not going see the app till morning , waiting till 12.30 am ,just b happy people that youtube is here people

+ Adasolsson97 on June 26th, 2012 at 3:16 pm said:

Im going to sleep now, i hope that i will see the youtube app when i wake up :) !

+ plaztiksyke on June 26th, 2012 at 3:20 pm said:

speaking of youtube, please work on improving YouTube support on PS3 for the next patch iteration. full-screen videos are pretty smooth, but at awful sub-iPhone quality. the windowed video are quite stuttery for some reason. if the video decoding isn’t using the GPU for acceleration, WHY? my Xbox1 with XBMC streams at higher-quality from Youtube without stuttering!

if Netflix can stream 1080p video with 5.1 surround sound, Youtube in the browser should be able to do the same (or AT LEAST 720p). right now we are plugging the iPad into HDMI to get better quality, and that’s really sad.

please fix kthx :)

Don Mesa's Avatar

+ Don Mesa on June 27th, 2012 at 10:56 pm said:

Promise to look into it.

+ Elvick_ on June 26th, 2012 at 3:34 pm said:

For those wondering about the subscriptions, the star (recommended) tab seems to be it. Not sure why it’s called recommended though.

+ sackboygundam on June 26th, 2012 at 3:37 pm said:

Dear PlayStation:

How were you able to take these screen captures?
This means you have a USB adapter to capture screen shots and VIDEO from a PS Vita?

Please sell us this peripheral Audio Video Out cable so we can make proper game play video capture.

Please Sony we beg you.

Please release to us the AV Out Cable, PlayStation.

Off screen camera video is selling the graphical power of the PS Vita very short.

Love,
Michael

Don Mesa's Avatar

+ Don Mesa on June 27th, 2012 at 10:59 pm said:

AV out cable is an interesting thought. Let me see how feasible this is with the engineers.

+ Bioman20 on June 26th, 2012 at 3:50 pm said:

I love the app so far, but like Enkei-Xpress said, features such as subscriptions, subscribing and filters being added in the future would be much appreciated.

+ zennacko on June 26th, 2012 at 3:56 pm said:

Where’s the love AND YouTube HD AND a new browser with the latest Java and Flash Plugins for PS3? we need it too T_T

+ markoreido on June 26th, 2012 at 4:00 pm said:

When will this be available to download and how do you do it? I’ve only recently got my vita

+ Mizzu- on June 26th, 2012 at 4:03 pm said:

COOOOOOOOOOL

+ Zyrish on June 26th, 2012 at 4:04 pm said:

Love the app! #126 (Enkei-Xpress) pretty much says it all, if it had all those features it’d be perfect!

+ Ashendark on June 26th, 2012 at 4:06 pm said:

Awesome! Let’s get that PSone compatibility update for the Vita now.

+ Zyrish on June 26th, 2012 at 4:07 pm said:

@ #134 markoreido – just go to the ps store (make sure you’re connected to the internet via wi-fi or 3G) and if you don’t see it on the top of the screen, then go to the apps section and it’s at the bottom.

+ FireCage on June 26th, 2012 at 4:08 pm said:

Finally! =)

+ umyo23 on June 26th, 2012 at 4:12 pm said:

The app ISN’t WORKING!! Whenever I search for something in the search bar, like “Youtube”, it says “There are no matching results”. Anyone know a solution??? I have even signed in with a YouTube account, still won’t work!

+ Demonking09 on June 26th, 2012 at 4:12 pm said:

hell yea as soon as i get a PS vita im downloading it for sure

+ Eagle7D8 on June 26th, 2012 at 4:18 pm said:

I’ll be watching ffstv video’s and listening to the HateBitPodcast. It would be nice if I could see my Subscriptions though. I’m using the app now but can’t look at my Subscriptions.

+ Elvick_ on June 26th, 2012 at 4:21 pm said:

I don’t have any search problems. Keep in mind not everything is available through mobile devices. So those things shouldn’t appear in search, that’s how it works on iOS too.

And your subscriptions DO appear… *points to former comment* they just didn’t label it properly. So after you sign in, the recommendations are your subscription’s uploads.

+ Eagle7D8 on June 26th, 2012 at 4:21 pm said:

Nvm the Recommended is my Subscriptions. lol

+ Eagle7D8 on June 26th, 2012 at 4:25 pm said:

You can try going into the settings, bottom right, and changing the search settings.

+ umyo23 on June 26th, 2012 at 4:30 pm said:

Update: App is now working fine after a re-download of it.

+ juanton16 on June 26th, 2012 at 4:47 pm said:

dam the youtube app came out and im kinda disappointed.. i tried looking up a video i wanted and i get everything i dont want…example i searched a music video and all i get are videos made by random people trying to imitate it

+ Lasdrub on June 26th, 2012 at 5:01 pm said:

How do I go to a user’s page? I can’t keep track of what videos are new or old for certain users if I can’t use their page to get to their videos. If I want to watch HDStarcraft, I have to just hope the match that shows up is one I haven’t seen rather than seeing what order the videos were uploaded in.

+ MorfiTM on June 26th, 2012 at 5:34 pm said:

Ok, and what about T@G?

+ Street_Killaz on June 26th, 2012 at 5:43 pm said:

Just got my vita 2 hours ago! its sick i like it alote..waiting for it to update and uncharted here i go!