God of War

Jun 29

Jun 29

All-New PlayStation Move Racing Wheel Video Tour

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar Posted by Senior Social Media Specialist

Right before the launch of PlayStation Move, I sat down with Anton Mikhailov from SCEA’s Research and Development team to get an in-depth walkthrough of PlayStation Move.

Anton and I are back at it again, and this time he’s here to give you a detailed preview of the latest PS Move peripheral: the PlayStation Move Racing Wheel. Paired with the precise tracking of PS Move, the Racing Wheel is a completely functional unit that offers second-to-none mechanics to control all aspects of your favorite racing games. From the motorcycle twist throttle to the folding grip design, Anton shows us how this new peripheral transforms your PS Move motion controller into the ultimate racing experience.

As we mentioned before, the PlayStation Move Racing Wheel will be available this fall for $39.99 and will support upcoming racing games like LittleBigPlanet Karting, in addition to PS3 racing favorites like Gran Turismo 5, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Burnout Paradise, MotorStorm Apocalypse, and more.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

thebgj said:

June 29th, 7:07 am

looks awesome.

Littlegentleman said:

June 29th, 7:08 am

I would love to watch the video but it’s not working :(

Fnord said:

June 29th, 7:16 am

Bring those triggers to the Dual Shock, Sony!

WCKidRock said:

June 29th, 7:20 am

I agree bring the triggers to dual shock.

The design looks great, but I see it will be a must to sit in a chair with arms on it. It will be tiring to try and hold that sucker up for a long race!

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

Anton Mikhailov said:

June 29th, 3:31 pm

We designed it so its comfy to rest on your lap while you play. But even holding it up isn’t as tiring as you’d think actually, because of the way its balanced. The first round of playtesting I did was over 4 hours :)

KAPADO said:

June 29th, 7:25 am

I might need this to get into GT5 and NFS ,I purchased a GT force wheel but its a pain to set up then take down this is easy snappy.
And why not Mod Nation Racers support ???

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

Anton Mikhailov said:

June 29th, 3:33 pm

There are some games we haven’t mentioned yet :)

The_Leducs said:

June 29th, 7:25 am

Will this work for GT5 somehow?

GT-420 said:

June 29th, 7:25 am

Backwards chair for motorcycling. Very innovative transforming controller- thumbs up. I hope the devs take advantage and make some really inventive games for this.

bloodmuder2010 said:

June 29th, 7:30 am

The Walking Dead Episode 2? what time today

KAPADO said:

June 29th, 7:33 am

Oh lord its a decepticon it just transformed into a bike handle.kill it with fire
I can fork the $40,now that I know all the extra stuff it has ,it is not a wii wheel after all

CrusaderForever said:

June 29th, 7:36 am

Now that’s the way it’s done! How innovative! This is a must buy and thanks for making move even more relevant.

DlocDaBudSmoka said:

June 29th, 7:36 am

i thought this was just a hunk of plastic. glad to see i was wrong. dead wrong. nice to know that it has power going to it froom the PS Move. all the naysayers need to watch this vid.

CrusaderForever said:

June 29th, 7:44 am

Wow, I could see this as being a great peripheral for flying games as well. Imagine this thing with let’s say a Freespace 3 or equivalent! Pull back to go up lean forward to go down. The dog fights would be insane! The possibilities are staggering.

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

Anton Mikhailov said:

June 29th, 3:36 pm

Oh man I miss Freespace…Descent also….

Link01 said:

June 29th, 7:47 am

This is an extremely beautiful device. Are you guys releasing a bundle. If you bundle it with Apocalypse, I may just buy it ;). My only concern is how many future games will support it and will it carry over next gen. Releasing stuff like this .. this late in the cycle… well yea :(. The Move Shooter’s support just kind of died out ESPECIALLY with 3rd party support.

Zoryu_of_Setsuna said:

June 29th, 7:47 am

+ The_Leducs

Yes it works for GT5, if you read the article I guess you would know that though.

Scavengre said:

June 29th, 7:55 am

DEVs Now make a FLIGHT SIM GO GO GO!!!! Really cool at first I thought Oh look the move has some plastic to snap into, then I watched the vid and was wowed

siavm said:

June 29th, 7:58 am

It looks like nice tech but that is it. I don’t have move and I don’t see the need to pay $100 to maybe play it with motion. You make good games Sony stick to that and leave motion controllers to other companies.

JayBizzle311 said:

June 29th, 8:01 am

I don’t have PS Move or play many racing games, but I will say this peripheral looks like they put some thought in it.

It could be tiring like some have mentioned on longer races. But, it’s pretty cool that it covers Car, Flight and Motocross..

maybe sync that bad boy up with Water Vehicles and Sony can bring back Jet Moto or something… or like a BurnOut: Battleship or something I dunno.

the $39.99 isn’t bad either.. I might have to try move out.. I’ve heard decent things, but I find it hard enough to play all the games I have now.

rjejr said:

June 29th, 8:01 am

This thing should come packaged w/ a space fighter mini-game like Ninntedo did w/ Link’s Crossbow Training. I want to be The Last Starfighter.

Anybody else think this thing looks like it was designed as a bow (when opened) for Sports champions archery?

FrogmanTM said:

June 29th, 8:15 am

I really like this design. Great use of the move controller IMHO. I can’t wait to try it out at some retail store soon.

Abulon-35 said:

June 29th, 8:20 am

Awesome!!! aaaaaaaaw yeah!!!

KidCommando said:

June 29th, 8:28 am

that is one nicely thought out peripheral.

I too thought it was just a hunk of plastic to hold the Move controller.

hope some games become available that make use of the motorcycle and flight mechanics.

kilburni86 said:

June 29th, 8:28 am

Is this really gonna be $39.99? For a Move ACCESSORY? That’s brutal. So if I don’t have move and want to use motion steering, I need to buy the Eye Toy ($39.99), a Move Controller ($49.99) AND this wheel? That’s $129.97!! FOR A CONTROL METHOD. Holy crap, Sony…you’ve lost it…

jazzyrider said:

June 29th, 8:33 am

Not bad. Do you guys know if my PC accessories will work on the PS3? I have pedals and it would be cool to use with the Move wheel.

Fascade said:

June 29th, 8:47 am

Slick, cool, and so totally awesome….great idea PS…!!
Keep up the good work!

tusunami said:

June 29th, 8:48 am

A very interesting device indeed,but i’ll need some reviews on this 1st.

Dante989 said:

June 29th, 8:53 am

This looks awesome. I liked how Anton really went into depth about the wheel during the interview too. Pretty much showed everything it can do. With a new Need For Speed game coming this fall, Sony should definitely team up with EA and have a commercial for this with that game.

MarinoBrea said:

June 29th, 8:55 am

Stop throwing away your time and money in crap like this and use those resources to advertise your freaking good games that are flopping left and right (STARHAWK) .

IceColdKilla44 said:

June 29th, 9:02 am

This actually looks pretty cool! Hopefully you guys will bundle this with LBP Karting when it comes out.

Nicelydone_24 said:

June 29th, 9:05 am

Your know what also works good as a racing wheel? An actual racing wheel woah mind blown! This device looks like a childish plaything anyways I doubt I would actually even use this on GT5.

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

Anton Mikhailov said:

June 29th, 3:43 pm

I can honestly say I get better lap times on this than on the regular controller. And unless you’re running a full sled, “real” wheel setups tend to look pretty silly also…still fun of course :)

KazeEternal said:

June 29th, 9:15 am

GT5 support… thats all you had to say. I’m sold.

D-Squad3 said:

June 29th, 9:20 am

Good to see Anton again!

And the wheel looks awesome, at first I thought it was just gonna be a plastic wheel thing to hold the Move but it actually has rumble and other features.

Heavenly_king said:

June 29th, 9:26 am

It looks really cool :D

GGCAN said:

June 29th, 9:29 am

Thanks Rey.

Can’t wait to get this for racing…..handlebars look great too for the bike racing !

CommandingTiger said:

June 29th, 9:49 am

PS Wheel is a bust for me.

First of all, the design, it looks like a space invader in the old arcades…

Look aside, it’s still playable, and move is highly accurate. So the reliability of the product isn’t the issue.
The main reason I won’t be buying it is the 40$ tag price, for a peripheral of a peripheral.
It’s only plastic, with a few buttons, it doesn’t have motion sensors or batteries, that’s on the PS MOVE controller itself.

I’ve bought the Sharp Shooter, It’s truly a great product, massive machine gun, it relays the buttons to the right place, really well designed, it looks and feels like a gun.

With that wheel, you get less plastic, doesn’t look like a wheel, doesn’t even have an optional analog stick for menu browsing (or playing, it would defeat the purpose, but it’s there)

Some wheels can be cheaper than that 40$ and All wheels do not need you to buy a PS Move pack for people who don’t have Move.

The only real advantage of releasing this peripheral is that games will now be PS MOVE compatible.

WilburMonkey said:

June 29th, 9:49 am

I think motion gaming won’t really take off until developers figure out how not to make me look like a dork while playing. This is a neat device, but I’m not sure if it will really help in that regard.

Emerald_Swords said:

June 29th, 9:49 am

At first i thought this device would just be a waste. Now im really considering getting it.

brgjr_05 said:

June 29th, 9:50 am

This is the first time I’ve seen the twist-able grip for motocross/motorcycle racing, now the design makes much more sense. I have a Driving Force GT I used with GT5 and it is the only wheel I have enjoyed using simply because it gives you realistic resistance while turning the wheel. I’ve always found it difficult to drive with a wheel controller that just spins freely or that you have to hold in the air because it is far too easy to oversteer.

The only reason I feel this one may be better is the 1 to 1 tracking. It should be harder to oversteer if you know that you don’t need to turn the wheel completely sideways for the game to respond. The other thing I like about this is the size. Microsoft’s wireless wheel is not only uncomfortable because you hold it in the air the entire time but also because it’s too small and you need to hold your hands far too close together. I might give this a shot if the price is right.

brgjr_05 said:

June 29th, 9:52 am

@ WilburMonkey – the key is to not care what you look like. If you’re with friends they’re going to look like fools during their turns too. Looking like a fool is actually half the fun with some games, you all get to laugh about it together…no need to be embarrassed.

CommandingTiger said:

June 29th, 9:58 am

What I would do, I would create a whole new wheel controller.
If you are to charge me 40$, you might as well charge me 60$ for a new, better synchronized, more accurate, controller.

Here’s how it would look. Draw a Circle “O”. Then make a Cross in the Middle “+”.
You place all of the motion sensors inside the “+”, the light bulb at the top “If needed”.
Place all the buttons at the top horizontal extremities of the “+” and 2 analog sticks just below.

Here, wasn’t that simple? It even looks better and can be used beyond a steering wheel.

Well, that’s my opinion anyway.

xCh0z3n-0n3x said:

June 29th, 10:07 am

@22….shut up…please just shut up….

ANYWAY….This thing has more power than i thought!!! i would deff use this in GT5 since i dont have room to have an actual steering wheel on my table.

TheTwelve said:

June 29th, 10:10 am

I didn’t think I’d be interested in this until I saw the video. HIGHLY impressed and really looking forward to it.

Zacky-V-A7X said:

June 29th, 10:15 am

Awesome!!!!

erico316ecw said:

June 29th, 10:43 am

so i wanted yo know wll the wheel come budle wifh lbp karking

drkane01 said:

June 29th, 11:01 am

But are you guys gonna actually fixs games like motorstorm to support move because the last update that said it would have move support it did not it just turn on the move light and that is all

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

Anton Mikhailov said:

June 29th, 5:05 pm

That update was actually for this peripheral. Move alone won’t be supported, but your updated Motorstorm is already Wheel ready :)

YouFromTheFuture said:

June 29th, 11:24 am

I would first like to start by saying “Awesome peripheral; Thanks for the vid”. I won’t go into all the many praises you guys deserve; for this post would never end. However I want to focus on much of the (currently) missed opportunities (for more praises lbs).

1. Many people (ignorantly) passed up on Medieval Moves for 3 reasons: 1, they didn’t even give it a chance (hence, the ignorance). 2, The visual presentation hinted that it would be a “kiddy” game, with very low skill level requirements. Although accessible to all, the game proved to be a (mature) gamer’s game. 3, though fun once played (especially given the grappling hook), the very notion of the game being “on rails” was a turn off, and further suggested that it would be a “kiddy” game. …
With these (latter two) things in mind, can we get some move REQUIRED (preferably 2 move controllers) games that look like Heavy Rain, Killzone 3, and/or Resistance 3 (you see what I did there? :D)?
Taking into consideration that a (single) move … tbc

PHIBALNATION said:

June 29th, 11:52 am

Copy much $ony? This has already been done.

RavageX said:

June 29th, 12:48 pm

I wasn’t too impressed with this when I first saw it, but this vid changed that point of view.

Quite eager to try this with GT5, Need for Speed, and several other racers.

You know what would be really great?

If Road Rash came back.

And as someone mentioned, a new Jet Moto would be great…those were some of my favorite games, yet playing them now is hard cause’ i can’t really tell what I’m looking at sometimes, lol.

I hope that most/all racing devs support this, it looks like it would be a blast.

Elvick_ said:

June 29th, 1:48 pm

@35: If you care “what you look like” while playing a game, then there’s nothing a video game company can do to fix that.

You’re just immature.

LordRazen38 said:

June 29th, 1:49 pm

Awesome!!!! and nice combination of MOVE and DUAL SHOCK!!

Link01 said:

June 29th, 3:05 pm

So, when will these Move patches for the listed games come out anyways?

PAGE 1 2