PS3-TLOU Left Behind

New PSN RPG Rainbow Moon’s Weapon Crafting System Detailed

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar + Posted by Marcus Pukropski on Jun 29, 2012 // CEO, SideQuest Studios

Less than two weeks until our new RPG Rainbow Moon hits PlayStation Store! Today, we’re going to share more details with you, along with another entry from our Dev Diary video series.

Previously, we talked about Rainbow Moon’s battle system and the game’s character development system. Now I’m going to tell you more about all the weapons and equipment that you can acquire in Rainbow Moon, as well as how to improve them through the crafting system.

Rainbow Moon on PSN

The six characters that you’ll come across during your journey can be equipped with five different equipment types: weapons, hats, body armor, amulets and rings. All these items have their own attributes, and some even have built-in passive skills or conditions. In true RPG fashion, equipping better gear will make your characters more powerful during battles.

You’ll start your adventure with very basic gear — just enough to take on the game’s weaker creatures. As you progress through the story, you’ll be able to purchase new gear from merchants. And if you’re lucky, you’ll find some useful equipment in hidden treasure chests!

You’ll find hundreds of different items along the way, giving you tons of possible gear combinations. And whenever you equip your characters with new weapons or armor, their look changes immediately. Try to find the ultimate gear for all your party members!

Rainbow Moon on PSNRainbow Moon on PSN

If the plethora of gear to find in Rainbow Moon isn’t enough to keep you busy, we’ve also implemented a crafting system to upgrade your existing gear. Each piece of equipment has a different number of crafting slots, which can be filled with all sorts of materials you collect from defeated monsters. While most crafting results can be previewed, we’ve also added plenty of secrets. Crafting is free of charge, so make sure to experiment a lot.

Rainbow Moon will be available on PlayStation Store July 10th for $14.99. PlayStation Plus subscribers can enjoy a 20% discount for the first two weeks after launch. Make sure to follow our development and other news on Facebook or visit Rainbow Moon’s official website.

Please share your feedback and ask any questions you have in the comments below. I appreciate all the feedback that I’ve received from you so far, and I’ll be sure to get back to all your questions.

+ SalamanderKnight on June 29th, 2012 at 1:21 pm said:

This looks so good. I will definitively already get a pre-paid card ready for this game. Finally an old-school styled game for the PS3, something I been waiting for, for a long time now.

Oh, and first.

+ gravislord on June 29th, 2012 at 1:22 pm said:

PS Vita version in the works? If not, is this at least Remote Play compatible?

+ GangstaTroy on June 29th, 2012 at 1:27 pm said:

The company said they was thinking about making it for vita Gravislord. However it has not been confirmed yet.

+ df2506 on June 29th, 2012 at 1:29 pm said:

*drools* Wow!

The crafting system looks awesome!

I also really like how the gear & weapons show up on your character. :)

Is it July 10th yet?! hehe. Can’t wait!

+ D-Squad3 on June 29th, 2012 at 1:32 pm said:

I’d get it, IF it was on the Vita.

+ MEXRPG on June 29th, 2012 at 1:44 pm said:

I truly hope they make this for PS Vita as well or at least playable via remote play. Do the smart move and make the same game for PS Vita, I would by it day ONE if you did. If not, you guys are definitely gonna lose out on a big chunk of cash from many PS Vita owners.

+ TooTall19 on June 29th, 2012 at 1:46 pm said:

This looks good.

+ Hogwild333 on June 29th, 2012 at 1:58 pm said:

This game looks interesting. Is there a time estimate to complete the main story and also to 100% the game?

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on June 29th, 2012 at 2:44 pm said:

Hi Hogwild333,

that depends, you can play the game on normal and on hard. To complete the main story on normal will take most people probably 40-60 hours depending on your play style. For a 100% completion expect 100 hours or more. If you play on hard, there is some extra leveling/material farming required, so your play time will increase once more.

+ reson8er on June 29th, 2012 at 2:01 pm said:

When I first saw this game, I was unimpressed, however I was still curious enough to check out the Dev Diaries and the Forums and am now on board. Looks pretty cool, can’t wait to check out!

+ StealthReborn– on June 29th, 2012 at 2:02 pm said:

Hello again Marcus,

Firstly, nice to see you on the blog again! =)

About the crafting system, will we have to purchase certain items in order to craft specific/all weapons, or will the enemies simply drop all the loot that’s necessary along with of course the treasure chests?

And lastly, I know there’s going to be paid, and free DLC on the day of launch, will there be future DLC releases such as mini-packs and possibly even an expansion if the game is being received well?

Thanks again for all the hard work you and the team did with this game. I can’t wait to purchase it on July 10th! =)

…or can I get an advanced copy…? (Nudges you $20) =P

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on June 29th, 2012 at 2:56 pm said:

Hi StealthReborn,

the shops won’t sell any crafting materials, so loot from mobs will be your nr. 1 source for materials. There are more possibilities to come by though…

Yes, there will be some future DLC releases for more mini-packs, so stay tuned for updates. There are currently no plans for full DLC-game expansions, but you never know:) This all depends on how well the game will be received.

Oh, if you really can’t wait til July 10th, I know some people are grabbing this from the EU store where the release is a few days earlier. Not sure if Sony is really happy with that but it’s probably just a minority.

Finally, thanks for your kind words:)

+ shadow71 on June 29th, 2012 at 2:10 pm said:

i’ll buy it if it comes out on vita. only way i’ll play something as lengthy as a rpg.

+ USRevenge2 on June 29th, 2012 at 2:15 pm said:

please tell me there will be a demo. I don’t want to get the game and be like… meh its fun but wish I didn’t buy it.

one thing I don’t like about PSN is not every downloadable game has a demo or trial.

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on June 29th, 2012 at 2:57 pm said:

There’s a chance for a demo version, but not on release date, I’m sorry.

+ spideyal on June 29th, 2012 at 2:40 pm said:

If this game was on the Vita, I’d eat this game up. It looks absolutely fantastic, and it seems like I’d be able to get the most of it on the go. If you guys could, it would amazing if this was brought to the Vita, Crossplay enabled. So we could play on the PS3 at home, and take our saves on the go with the Vita. This game fits the idea perfectly, in my opinion.

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on June 29th, 2012 at 3:02 pm said:

Hi USRevenge2,

first of all, thanks a lot for all the Vita port requests, I already posted a comment a few posts before.

If there ever will be a Vita port (which still has to be decided) we surely take crossplay compatibility into consideration. I agree that this is one of the most interesting features.

+ DuoMaxwell007 on June 29th, 2012 at 2:45 pm said:

@8 the game is supposed to take 40 hours if you just do the main story, and over 100 hours if you do everything

+ Brapp347 on June 29th, 2012 at 2:46 pm said:

Looks really interesting, but I would want this kind of game on my vita. I’d buy it in a heartbeat. I was looking forward to dungeon defenders, which is just littered with looting, leveling up, forging, and other rpg elements. But that game has been cancelled and THIS game looks like it would be a perfect substitute for my portable rpg itch. So basically…. I am totally in support for a vita port :D

+ SpiritThief on June 29th, 2012 at 2:57 pm said:

Really looking forward to this. Any RPG really. There just aren’t enough around anymore. At least on PS3.

Once again thank you for making this for PS3 instead of just the portable. They should get a version too but us console only players and those that can handle a tiny uncomfortable portable have been suffering from massive RPG with draw this gen.

+ MushThePainter on June 29th, 2012 at 3:21 pm said:

Quick question – Can you name your characters in this game? I know it doesn’t seem like a huge deal but I’ve always liked coming up with my own names in RPG’s…

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on June 29th, 2012 at 3:25 pm said:

Yes, you can rename all characters on acquisition. For Baldren, the main character, you have to find a way, but it’s also possible.

+ D4rkH4X0ReR on June 29th, 2012 at 4:32 pm said:

Looks fantastic.

Like mentioned before, would be nice if this came out to the Vita as well since we haven’t heard anything about Ruin(Warrior’s Lair) and we need more RPGs for it.

+ Brapp347 on June 29th, 2012 at 5:26 pm said:

What’s the price going to be?

+ RenderMonk on June 29th, 2012 at 5:28 pm said:

I know you mentioned it, but I’d still like to cast my vote for a Vita version. That, and let my voice be heard by the PSBlog Community Manager to take back as feedback. The Vita is sorely lacking RPG’s. I believe it’s the one thing missing from the VIta that is causing the slump in sales. With a great game like this coming out, and being perfectly fitted for the Vita, there’s no reason not to have it release, simultaneously, on PSN and PSV.

Make RPG’s the Vita’s sole agenda as immediately as possible. I assure you, it will yield tremendous sales for the Sony handheld.

+ DaMann22 on June 29th, 2012 at 5:42 pm said:

Like #20 stated, I also would like to vocalize my preference for a Vita version. I still plan on double dipping since my wife is interested in this game. I love Disgaea but I only care about the main story which takes only 10-20 hours. This would be a much better game with its main story and various side quest that i would never put my vita down. Still can’t wait for the 10th!!!!

And like #18 said, we need more info on Warrior’s Lair please.

+ zeluizzzz on June 29th, 2012 at 5:59 pm said:

Turn-based strategy/rpg is my favorite type of game. This game is something I was waiting for a long time and I would gladly pay up to $100 dollars for a game like this. I will buy Rainbow Moon 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5, 6, 7. :)

+ SkyShadowNinja91 on June 29th, 2012 at 6:36 pm said:

Is there online play? if so how many players? this game is intriging i have never seen a ps3 game that looks browser-based before. i too would like a demo

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on June 30th, 2012 at 3:15 am said:

It’s a single player game, but you can upload your stats to our game server and compare with other users.

+ inFAMOUS-787 on June 29th, 2012 at 7:35 pm said:

yes yes yes! was wanting something to keep me thru the summer and this will deffinetly do! thank you so much SIDEQUEST!!!

+ MushThePainter on June 29th, 2012 at 8:47 pm said:

Thanks for the reply! I wish you guys much success with this game and hopefully many more to come!

+ MushThePainter on June 29th, 2012 at 8:49 pm said:

@16 – tiny uncomfortable portable? Are you sasquatch?

+ Elvick_ on June 29th, 2012 at 9:17 pm said:

@19: Says in the article…

Why can’t people just read the thing? At least use your browser’s search for the dollar sign if you’re that lazy.

+ Loy310 on June 29th, 2012 at 9:48 pm said:

Reminds me of the Materia System from Final Fantsy 7. Looks very good sir, but I would much rather play this on the go (Vita) than on the couch.
I will look into it.

+ pooliyan on June 29th, 2012 at 9:58 pm said:

The game sure have enough upgrades to keep the player busy. The UI looks cool too. Looking forward to get my hands on it…

+ El_Flash on June 29th, 2012 at 10:29 pm said:

i agree with alot of the comments on here. This needed to be on the Vita. It looks amazing if it would be a hand held game. Sony has slipped up on their Vita execution, the system is awesome, but is still lacking way too many stuff, ps1 classics, remote play, more rpgs etc.

+ zeluizzzz on June 29th, 2012 at 11:16 pm said:

@23 – Graphics aren’t everything, I think this game looks more fun than games like GTA 4, Uncharted 1,2,3, God of War, Call of Duty, etc. If you want good graphics go watch a 3d movie.

+ PanTheMan16 on June 29th, 2012 at 11:47 pm said:

Not sure if I will get this or not. It looks cool, but there are things that don’t immediately appeal to me too. I’d like to try a demo first, but it sounds like that won’t be available until after the discount for Plus members expires.
And it’s not that your game isn’t worth $14.99, but ya know, after spending $50 on Plus I definitely want to take advantage of discounts where I can.

So… keep the discount available longer? :)

+ Electromagnus on June 30th, 2012 at 1:49 am said:

It looks awesome, is this a retail game or a download only game, if it’s the latter I guess their won’t be a platinum trophy then right?

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on June 30th, 2012 at 3:18 am said:

Rainbow Moon will be only available as a PSN download game, but it has platinum trophy though.

+ MrHeroSlayer on June 30th, 2012 at 2:46 am said:

This looks great and I absolutely love games like this. Playing through the Disgaea games have made me realize one huge thing though, I absolutely hate games like this having a lot of stuff you cant speed up. Disgaea has been good about this by including options to gear up battle movement speeds, text speeds, lets you run outside of battles, and even lets you skip over skill animations. I noticed during the video that the character only moves one speed and that the text is pretty slow. So seeing this I have to know if you guys are including options to speed stuff up. With this game seeming like there will be A LOT of grinding and HUGE battles it worries me that the game speed wont be fast paced enough to keep me playing.

@33 – In the first post http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/05/04/rainbow-moon-watch-the-new-trailer-now/ it says “As you can see, a great amount of effort and attention to detail has gone into the development of the game. You’ll be happy to hear that Rainbow Moon will be one of the few games on PSN with Platinum Trophy support. In total, you’ll find more than 50 trophies are up for grabs”

+ sicdedworm09 on June 30th, 2012 at 5:04 am said:

agreed with everyone here. this looks like it was pretty much built for the VITA. i would play the hell out of this if it ended up on it. RPG’s are perfect for it and im really hoping to see a ton in the near future sony really needs to get it together with the vita. there is clearly a huge demand for this

if this ends up on the vita you guys have me sold
great job on the game by the way :)

+ TalzUK on June 30th, 2012 at 7:28 am said:

There HAS to be a PSVita Version in the mix, Just the sort of game we need to play on the go!

+ TalzUK on June 30th, 2012 at 7:36 am said:

Just read through the other comments, Loads and Loads of VITA requests! 100% purchase when hopfully ported to VITA :) Well done SideQuest Studios, AMAZING LOOKING RPG!

+ perrandy on June 30th, 2012 at 12:50 pm said:

this looks really sweet.in a few days i will be able to play this game :)

+ Solidmgsnake on June 30th, 2012 at 1:39 pm said:

These kinda games need to be on Vita too. Comee on devs

+ tunde_ankh on June 30th, 2012 at 2:00 pm said:

This SHOULD be on the Vita day one..what gives???

+ time346 on June 30th, 2012 at 3:49 pm said:

I would like to throw my hat into the ring, regarding a Psvita version of this game. The Psvita is almost completely lacking in content of the RPG variety. Please, for the love of the Diety of you choice, port this game over to the Psvita. I give you my word on a day one purchase, if and hopefully when, this see’s a Psvita release.

+ KingsOfLions_pr on June 30th, 2012 at 4:01 pm said:

seems like a cool game i may buy it

+ Beast780 on June 30th, 2012 at 6:09 pm said:

This article is the first I’ve ever heard of this game. Watched the video and I’m sold. I’ll buy the PS3 version on day 1 if only to ensure it comes to Vita with cross play! Looks awesome! I love that art style!

+ XviViASSACREvX on June 30th, 2012 at 6:51 pm said:

This Game Looks EPic!

+ AwRy108 on July 1st, 2012 at 11:28 am said:

Sucks so hard that this is currently only slated for PS3. The game looks great, but there’s no chance I’ll sit and play it on my couch; on the Vita I would play it a ton.

SideQuest: you’ll get my money when you create a Via version.

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on July 2nd, 2012 at 12:07 pm said:

Thank you so much for all the feedback guys. Regarding a Vita Version (because so many people are asking for) please check my first reply here.

+ BlackoutBasement on July 1st, 2012 at 2:09 pm said:

The wait for this game is just unbearable >_> Thank you SideQuest Studios. I’ve been waiting for an RPG like this to come out in the PSN for some time now! It’s an instant must play and I Must play!

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on July 2nd, 2012 at 12:04 pm said:

hope you like it. We’re really happy with the final result:)

+ TallCrowe on July 1st, 2012 at 7:27 pm said:

Yeah this game looks awesome, lets get some Transfarring to Vita with it. SONY make this happen. I will buy it and play it…I Think…

+ F1rsTag on July 2nd, 2012 at 2:13 am said:

Rainbow Moon looks like it’ll be a blast to play.I’ll be getting this game, for sure.

+ colstripcapn on July 2nd, 2012 at 8:17 am said:

I like how the game looks, I enjoy a good SRPG and was playing on buying it day 1.

Unfortunatly I see you have a day one Plus discount. That means you’re already willing to offer sales… so I’ll just wait for the general sale. It would have been better to wait a few months before offering a sale.

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on July 2nd, 2012 at 12:02 pm said:

Thanks a lot for your support. Well, feel free to buy some extra DLC if it’s just for support:)

+ ioanina on July 2nd, 2012 at 11:47 am said:

Well, Marc, I’m sure to enjoy Rainbow Moon when it’s available in more than a week. It’s going to be amazing!

Once it goes out and plans for DLC are finished, which is going to be made right after it goes out, I would REALLY like to see Soldner X-3 with more stages that are way much longer than those in X-2, with a few stages available at launch, the rest being split into DLC packs, more engaging and epic boss battles, new health and weapon upgrades, special end of level transitions, tons of secrets to uncover, and loads more! I truly beat X-2 and it was amazing, especially the D’aarg Overlord boss battle with the surprise twist at the very end!

You guys rock! Keep up the great games!

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on July 2nd, 2012 at 11:59 am said:

Hi ioanina,

thanks a lot for your feedback, we’re glad you like it:) I’m up for a new SX game or shooter too but this really depends on sales.