Driveclub

PlayStation All-Stars EVO Reveal: Heihachi and Toro

Daniel Maniago's Avatar + Posted by Daniel Maniago on Jul 06, 2012 // Community Manager, SuperBot Entertainment

This weekend the SuperBot team and I are here in Las Vegas at the annual Evolution Championship Series. In addition to checking out some of the best fighting games in the community and the heated competition between the fans, we’re also here to make a very special announcement. Tonight during an Exhibition Presentation, we are excited to announce two new challengers in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale – Heihachi Mishima and Toro Inoue!

Hailing from the ever-popular Tekken series, the original mastermind behind the Mishima Zaibatsu joins the battle! Making his first appearance on the PSX in 1995, Heihachi is one of only five characters to appear in every iteration of Tekken thereafter, brawling his way through 17 years of King of Iron Fist tournaments. Heihachi fans will feel right at home with this newest interpretation.

Familiar moves such as his Electric Wind God Fist and Twin Pistons are intact and as deadly as ever. He excels at close-range combat, overwhelming opponents with quick, powerful strikes. Heihachi’s combo potential ranks among the best in the roster, turning every encounter into a stylish martial arts exhibition. Though the battlefield has changed, Heihachi brings his signature fighting style and brutal attacks to PlayStation All-Stars!

Toro Inoue, also known as the Sony Cat, has been a faithful mascot to Sony in Japan for over a decade! He has made appearances in numerous video games spanning several different Sony consoles and is a welcome addition to our roster. Though appearing to be simply a cute feline, the warrior within proves to be as formidable as the next.

Toro brings a unique stance-based fighting style to PlayStation All-Stars, affording him several different sets of attacks to utilize in combat. He transitions seamlessly from a close-range fighter in his Justice form, to a ranged specialist in his Torobi form, to an effective wide-area controller in his Oni form. All the while, Toro’s fun-loving charm comes through in every action he performs. Be sure to check him out!

Finally, we are pleased to announce our newest stage, Dojo! Fans of the original Parappa the Rapper on the PSX will immediately recognize this kung-fu dwelling, which is where Parappa originally acquired his martial arts arsenal from Chop Chop Master Onion. However, not everything is as it seems in the city; could danger be looming ahead?

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Toro & Heihachi reveal

For those of you who are here in Vegas participating in the tournaments, you can now go hands-on with these new characters at our booth in the Tournament Hall starting Saturday morning when the booth opens at 8AM. So be sure to swing by.

That’s it for now! We have plenty more information coming in the near future, so stay tuned for more reveals to come as we get closer to October 23, 2012! Don’t forget to pre-order your copy!

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Toro & Heihachi reveal PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Toro & Heihachi reveal

+ Shin-Ra on July 6th, 2012 at 7:15 pm said:

Nathan Drake’s character model needs a lot of work, especially his face.

+ freshprincepbg on July 6th, 2012 at 7:16 pm said:

Look at 0:36 in the first trailer, Why does Nathan Drake look asian? WTF that looks nothing like Drake, fix it!!

Toro is a cool character, Heihachi not so much.

+ djking1994_red on July 6th, 2012 at 7:19 pm said:

First of all
Namco made be co-developing Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS with Nintendo and Project Sora but
Tekken doesn’t have much games on Nintendo Platforms.

Nintendo will either get the following:
Tales of Character- Gamecube, DS, Wii, and 3DS all had games from this franchise and Lloyd is best choice.
Xenosaga Character- Monolith Soft is First Party of Nintendo so Nintendo will be able to get it.
Pacman Character- Pacman featuring on Mario Kart GP which was develop by Namco and Nintendo allowed it.
Soul Calibur Character- Gamecube Soul Calibur II had Link in it just like Soul Calibur II had Heihachi on PS2.

+ TheDeity on July 6th, 2012 at 7:23 pm said:

it needs Snake…Sackboy…Nathan Hale…Rachet…Cole…and Crash Bandicoot…cuz when I think of Playstation those are the characters that come to mind……. and Nariko from Heavenly Sword just cuz she’s awesome

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on July 6th, 2012 at 7:23 pm said:

Toro was in my list of less obvious Sony characters back in the original All Stars reveal post :)

now i’m looking forward to seeing:

Locoroco
Chimera Hybird
Ken Kuteragi
Gabe Logan
& Sackgirl added :)

+ Figboy on July 6th, 2012 at 7:23 pm said:

Oh, crap! I also forgot to put Cole MacGrath in my list! That’s inexcusable, since inFAMOUS is one of my favorite new IPs of this generation next to Uncharted!

So, yeah, Cole. I can see him being revealed at the San Diego Comic Con, since, you know, he’s basically a comic book character in video game form! (and comic form, actually!)

+ alvarorugam on July 6th, 2012 at 7:24 pm said:

Hi

It would be great to have a tons of characters via add-ons.

But don’t do what Netherrealm do with Mortal Kombat, they bring a few characters via add-on, and then nothing more.

Best Regards

+ x_ray_jack_oo7 on July 6th, 2012 at 7:24 pm said:

Add Ratchet + Clank, Jax + Daxter, Crash, Cole and Sack-Boy! That would be awesome or at the least make them add-on characters. Doesn’t seem like their are a lot of characters in this game.

+ Hydrogen_Otter on July 6th, 2012 at 7:25 pm said:

Like what I see so far, and while I’m definitely on board for this I do have a request:

ROBBIT

Make it happen, Sony / Superbot!

+ Imputed7-14 on July 6th, 2012 at 7:25 pm said:

Perfect for EVO. Nice inclusions. Looking forward to hearing more…Oct. can not come fast enough.

+ Thatcher7732 on July 6th, 2012 at 7:27 pm said:

@44 I guess I wasn’t being completely clear. I don’t have an issue with Heihachi as much as I did with Big Daddy. Heihachi was actually my favorite character when he was in Soul Calibur 2. It’s just an issue with what seems like an odd amount of 3rd party multi-platform characters for a game meant to celebrate the PlayStation history.

+ Dreadaxe on July 6th, 2012 at 7:28 pm said:

The PSX was that PlayStation 2 with the DVR function and the product to use XMB, why does everyone get this wrong.

+ Robbie_G_lrish on July 6th, 2012 at 7:31 pm said:

Yes, there’s 100 characters that they could choose from but I’m cool with these 2 being included as they both represent the PlayStation brand well. I’m guessing the people complaining about Heihachi are too young to know his importance.

Hey Daniel, maybe you could mention this to the team or something. I feel like calling the scoring “Kills/Deaths” doesn’t really fit or make sense for this game. Perhaps it could be more like “K.O.’s/Beatdowns”. Just a thought. Thanks.

+ Heavenly_king on July 6th, 2012 at 7:33 pm said:

Drake in the first video looks horrible :(. Hopefully the face design will get better over time.

+ Blkant on July 6th, 2012 at 7:34 pm said:

Bring in Sir Daniel Fortesque! Not the PSP version either, but the original one. Cemetery hill or the scarecrow field would make a great map too.

+ robdawg1001 on July 6th, 2012 at 7:41 pm said:

John marston from rdr!

+ Blkant on July 6th, 2012 at 7:43 pm said:

You also need Alucard. :) (Castlevania Symphony of the Night.)

+ DignifiedTuna on July 6th, 2012 at 8:00 pm said:

Can’t we just have one news post without people turning this into a request thread? They don’t care what you think or who you want. The roster has already been set in stone.

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on July 6th, 2012 at 8:02 pm said:

@ 2

I agree Kazuma Kiryu would be awesome :)

+ SHINSPIKES on July 6th, 2012 at 8:03 pm said:

These 2 will be my goto characters. Thank you for adding them. I was afraid yah would add more characters with guns, there’s already too many with guns.

+ DeathKidd on July 6th, 2012 at 8:05 pm said:

Drake looks terrible, I am surprised how much better Snake looks in Brawl than Drake looks on here.

Toro Inoue was the best surprise though, I am looking forward to this!

+ packy17 on July 6th, 2012 at 8:16 pm said:

@58

Part of owning a PlayStation has been playing great 3rd party games. That doesn’t have to mean the roster should be full of them or that those 3rd party games ever appeared on another platform. Even though Snake has been on all of the big 3′s consoles at some point, he’s undisputedly most synonymous with PlayStation. Same with Lara Croft. The approach here so far is correct – bring in a bunch of newer, more recognizable fighters for draw, and then bring in the niche fan service guys. They have a lot on their plate with all the SSB comparisons and the controversial scoring system… I fully expect them to deliver on the character front.

+ GameBreak68 on July 6th, 2012 at 8:17 pm said:

Am with a lot of these comments, seeing characters like Spyro, Crash, Cole, Snake would be awesome–and there’s plenty more that would just be terrific to see in the game, making a list is hard :p

@2 Kiryu would be awesome! Majima’s crazy self would be fun too though:)

Anyhow, cool to see Heihachi jump in this

+ ps_n_blog_ac on July 6th, 2012 at 8:28 pm said:

ELLIE!!! from the last of us with her A HOLE BRICK attack i know the game isn’t coming out until later but showing off those characters might be nice. might be dlc i guess

+ Thatcher7732 on July 6th, 2012 at 8:53 pm said:

@69 I believe you’re correct as far as bringing in newer 3rd party characters, but I believe that Big Daddy was a terrible choice. Not because he isn’t a great character from a phenomenal series, but because of the original game being exclusive to the Xbox platform, until ported over to the PlayStation a year later. I feel like characters like Snake and Lara should definitely make appearances, while characters like Big Daddy and Col. Shepard shouldn’t be placed into the game. I certainly feel like Desmond from Assassin’s Creed would deserve a spot more than the Big Daddy, but I suppose I should hold off on all criticism until the full roster is released. ^_^

+ Thatcher7732 on July 6th, 2012 at 8:57 pm said:

And to fix my previous comment, I do believe Big Daddy is a great character and that Bioshock is amazing.

+ amjr72 on July 6th, 2012 at 9:05 pm said:

yay! japanese characters at last

pleeeeeease add Kazuma Kyriu from Yakuza and Kat from Gravity Rush!

Kazuma is easily one of the best playstation characters ever, and if Sega can’t borrow him try Majima but please add some Yakuza love. It’s one of my favorite series and i don’t need to explain it’s a huge thing in Japan.

And Kat is a great character, oozes charm and the female cast is lacking so far. Imagine how many cool moves her gravity skills can bring!

+ megacarlos on July 6th, 2012 at 9:26 pm said:

Megaman x!!

+ megacarlos on July 6th, 2012 at 9:27 pm said:

Megaman x plz

+ megacarlos on July 6th, 2012 at 9:27 pm said:

Megaman x

+ Edgar_Allan on July 6th, 2012 at 9:28 pm said:

You guys should add these characters:
Cloud – Final Fantasy VII
Sora – Kingdoms Hearts
Lyner Barsett – Ar tonelico
Cole – Infamous
Morrigan – Darkstalkers
Crash Bandicoot – Crash Bandicoot

+ Thatcher7732 on July 6th, 2012 at 9:45 pm said:

For those asking for Cole from inFamous, you can expect to see him at Comic-Con. I can almost guarantee it. ^_^

+ IzoGray on July 6th, 2012 at 9:46 pm said:

I would really like Kat from Gravity Rush. Please and thank you.

She is the definitive heroine of the Vita and could become a staple in Sony’s mascots.

+ thecursedmark on July 6th, 2012 at 10:03 pm said:

The community organizer said it was a Metal Gear destroying the parappa Dojo stage during the live stream at EVO, but that thing doesn’t look like a Metal Gear to me. Can somebody clear up the confusion for me?

+ packy17 on July 6th, 2012 at 10:18 pm said:

@81

That certainly was not a Metal Gear. I facepalmed when he said that, because there were people on the chat stream saying the same thing – before he said it. I believe that thing is from Killzone. It could be Resistance? Both have something that look very similar.

+ Blkninja914 on July 6th, 2012 at 10:22 pm said:

Will the PS3 version of the game have a custom soundtrack feature? Bascially the ability to play my music that is stored on my PS3′s harddrive during actual offline gameplay.

+ packy17 on July 6th, 2012 at 10:23 pm said:

@72

Not to be a nitpicker here (and this still doesn’t make your point any less relevant), but BioShock also launched on PC at the same time as Xbox. That’s how I played it. Yeah, still true that it was a later port to PS3. I think the reason Big Daddy’s here is because of the growing bond between Irrational and Sony. Levine loves the Vita, claims he owns 3 PS3s for personal use, and he’s developing a Vita game (Infinite port? Don’t know yet…). Big Daddy is also in the LBP Vita now, so yeah… def some strong cross-promotional stuff going on. I’m cool with it, because I agree – BioShock is awesome.

+ The5rozos on July 6th, 2012 at 10:29 pm said:

No offense, but that black producer guy of this game is soo boring. Why can’t he ever smile or SOUND excited about making this game? I understand everyone has different personalities, but he needs to fluctuate his voice or something… Or take notes from William Ho and his optimism. Sheesh!

Anyway not sure how I feel about this game, I’ll wait until the full roster is announced. I’m wondering… is that going to be how the menus will look like? I’m not really feeling it, not to bag on the designers or anything. And they should listen to fans and include other modes other than this ‘super’ gameplay. It would be nice to play with a health bar.

Sorry if this post came off as rude, just kinda disappointed in this game so far!

+ Elvick_ on July 6th, 2012 at 10:35 pm said:

Really getting disappointed with the 3rd party stuff shown so far. At least Tekken is more associated with PlayStation than Bioshock (fail).

You need to let us know if Spyro and Crash are in soon, because at this rate it seems like we’re getting weak and/or completely unrelated to PlayStation 3rd party characters.

Don’t care what anyone says, in no way does Bioshock make me think of PlayStation. Even with a Vita game that wasn’t even in development when it was announced to “exist” doesn’t make it make sense. The first Bioshock took over a year to come over to the PS3. How does that scream “PlayStation All Star”? It doesn’t.

Toro is great at least. Step it up with the 3rd party reveals.

+ jose213jose on July 6th, 2012 at 10:40 pm said:

How about adding Cloud from FF7 or Lighting from FF13 into the game. Both characters are awesome, strong, and greatly love by FF fans.

+ sicdedworm09 on July 6th, 2012 at 11:31 pm said:

i hope sony really steps up their advertising soon or this is going to slip by like all the other great exclusives that have come out.

you guys need to put out commercials! hype it up a few weeks before it comes out. give reasons for everyone to go out and pick it up. posting online blogs doesnt help so much. not everyone goes online looking for playstation exclusives

+ Kchow23 on July 6th, 2012 at 11:32 pm said:

FREE Solid Snake or Raiden already!

+ tbm0987 on July 6th, 2012 at 11:57 pm said:

ok can we just get a word on this update. please!!!!! i mean really just let us have it. u guys r just trying to do to much in one move. just give us what u got already!!!!!!!

+ rabidninjamonky on July 7th, 2012 at 12:24 am said:

Check out :34 of the the toro video. That looks like a Ratchet and Clank inspired stage. It even has the same boxes. Are there bolts in those?

+ Garigandeljey on July 7th, 2012 at 12:57 am said:

Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!Kazuma Kiryu!

+ Mr_Grey-Fox-89X on July 7th, 2012 at 1:16 am said:

i hope they add some forgotten characters from the ps1 days

+ Viewtiful_Josh on July 7th, 2012 at 1:41 am said:

Pata pon don chaka?…… I would really like to play as a Patapon in All Stars! :(

+ Richter_ak-47 on July 7th, 2012 at 2:19 am said:

I can see this being either really good or a really bad idea.
I also can foresee DLC it’s almost inevitable anymore

+ Carl-G on July 7th, 2012 at 2:40 am said:

I want -

Crash Bandicoot
A Monkey from Ape Escape :D
Bub & Bob off Bubble Bobble

:P :P :P

+ Bth_Portugal on July 7th, 2012 at 2:47 am said:

Still waiting for some awesome Bandicoot action…