PS4 - Destiny

Anime Fans: Crunchyroll and Neon Alley Are Coming to PSN

Paul Sullivan's Avatar + Posted by Paul Sullivan on Jul 13, 2012 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

PSN Anime Networks - Crunchyroll

We’re always looking for ways to deliver PlayStation gamers the entertainment you crave. Hot off the presses from Comic-Con is news that we will be the exclusive launch partner for VIZ Media’s Neon Alley – a 24-hour anime channel – to PlayStation Network in Fall 2012. Neon Alley will be a subscription-based service available to all PS3 owners in the U.S. and Canada for $6.99 per month. Neon Alley will include a mix of action, adventure, science fiction, supernatural, fantasy, and horror anime, all uncut and dubbed in English, and presented in HD (when available), including include blockbuster anime titles like Naruto Shippuden, Inuyasha: The Final Act, and Death Note, as well as new titles such as Tiger & Bunny, Berserk: The Golden Age Arc, Zetman, Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, plus original content that provides news and behind-the-scenes access for anime and manga fans.

PSN Anime Networks - Neon Alley

That’s not all, though. It was recently unveiled that the Crunchyroll App will be coming to PSN, streaming directly from your PS3 console. Current subscribers will be able to log in with their existing account to access all the benefits, including streaming the episodes of popular anime shows such as Naruto Shippuden, Shugo Chara, Hunter X Hunter, Sket Dance, and Korean drama shows like Dr. Jing, Jumong, The King 2 Hearts and more. And if you’re not a member yet – you can also sign up for a 30-day free trial directly from your PS3. The packages include Anime membership (all anime titles and simulcasts for $6.95 per month), Drama membership (all drama titles and simulcasts for $6.95 per month), or All-Access membership (all titles and simulcasts for $11.95 per month).

So that’s it – great anime content will be streaming directly to your PS3 soon! What are your thoughts on a dedicated anime channel on PSN? Share your feedback with us in the comments below.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ CutiexAngel on July 13th, 2012 at 5:07 pm said:

DragonBall Z too?? ^o^

+ Cade Peterson on July 13th, 2012 at 5:31 pm said:

More details will come as we get closer to the release of these two exciting apps, so keep your eyes on the PS Blog for further info.

+ Jon_Mclane on July 13th, 2012 at 5:09 pm said:

Can you watch the free crunchyroll content on this app?

+ Cade Peterson on July 13th, 2012 at 6:34 pm said:

For more info on Crunchyroll’s tiers of access, check out the full break-down here: http://www.crunchyroll.com/premium_comparison

It covers the tiers from the free access to the buffet option of drama or anime to the all-access, and includes info on the SD vs HD broadcast qualities available.

+ ReesesWave on July 13th, 2012 at 5:11 pm said:

Awesome getting another anime streaming service beside crunchyroll … now is there a major diff or just what you prefer? i know crunchy will becoming to vita later on after it comes to ps3, will neonalley also release on vita? I have both ps3 and vita

+ Sharingan_itachi on July 13th, 2012 at 5:11 pm said:

Is subscription required?

+ Cade Peterson on July 13th, 2012 at 6:38 pm said:

Both Neon Alley and Crunchyroll will be subscription-based with Crunchyroll also offering a limited free tier option as well.

+ Ryler on July 13th, 2012 at 5:13 pm said:

Great! Anime Streaming on the Big Screen!!!

+ Cade Peterson on July 13th, 2012 at 6:38 pm said:

YES! Straight from Japan to you!

+ SpidaZero0 on July 13th, 2012 at 5:30 pm said:

… crunchyroll is free on the ipod/iphone but needs a subscription on ps3? not cool..

+ Cade Peterson on July 13th, 2012 at 6:41 pm said:

It is free on Android and iOS, but with a very limited content offering as well as requires ad support, and no way to view it on the “big screen” (TV), but you may try Crunchyroll with a free trial to see if it’s something you’re interested in keeping. With it comes ad-free content, a ton more options and HD!

+ androvsky on July 13th, 2012 at 5:32 pm said:

Been waiting on the Crunchyroll app for a long time, thanks. :)

For those wondering, if it’s anything like Crunchyroll’s phone apps, it’ll start out premium only and switch to free with ads later on. I can’t be sure obviously, but there’s a decent chance it’ll end up like that. I’m subscribing anyway, all I was waiting for was a PS3 app. It supports HD, right?

+ Cade Peterson on July 13th, 2012 at 6:41 pm said:

Yes, it definitely supports HD.

+ LovesJapanManga on July 13th, 2012 at 5:49 pm said:

I can see that Neon Alley is coming to Playstation 3 this autumn, but what about Crunchyroll? On their website- Crunchyroll’s website, it staed that this app will come during sometimes this summer, correct? But no firm date have been given… But this summer, right? Thanks.

+ Cade Peterson on July 13th, 2012 at 6:42 pm said:

That is a discrepancy, but our current target is Fall 2012, hopefully right around the corner.

+ ABNVOX on July 13th, 2012 at 5:56 pm said:

this seems really awesome def excited to try it out, free trial- even better!

+ Sephir007 on July 13th, 2012 at 6:03 pm said:

This is great,, now come on announce the Youtube APP for ps3..

+ WhiteF8ng on July 13th, 2012 at 6:10 pm said:

The logos and descriptions are criss-crossed but I’m digging that Neon Alley. Crunchy Roll? Not so much…

+ Zup3rZon3x on July 13th, 2012 at 6:13 pm said:

Are these vita-compatible?? It would be pretty awesome to have one subscription and be able to access the content between devices. If not too bad but i’ll still be subscribing.

+ Cade Peterson on July 13th, 2012 at 6:47 pm said:

Crunchyroll is planning to release a PS VITA app following the launch of their PS3 one. With the same membership account, you will be able to enjoy your shows from either console!

+ Blkant on July 13th, 2012 at 6:18 pm said:

The more apps to all of the PS devices the better. There is so much potential to what modern consoles can do but haven’t been explored yet, so any time a new app or feature is introduced I get excited.

+ jraiser14 on July 13th, 2012 at 6:20 pm said:

please tell me these apps are coming to psvita.
cause i want to see my anime too,iam a big fan
of anime. and this apps will make my day on psvita.

+ Paul Sullivan on July 13th, 2012 at 7:31 pm said:

No Vita news at this time, but keep your eyes to the blog.

+ RidleysBox on July 13th, 2012 at 6:20 pm said:

Yeah! Crunchyroll, I can finally retire my roku now. Unless the app is being made by the same people that failed at the amazon video app… apparently a 16 meg connection is insufficient bandwidth for their app…

Neon Alley looked interested until I read the “all dubbed in English” part, really?, English only? How disappointing.

+ DuoMaxwell007 on July 13th, 2012 at 6:24 pm said:

If I can pay for it monthly (a sin a month by month basis) through the PlayStation store with PSN cards then Im in… otherwise Ill stick to watching my dubbed anime in other ways I wont mention here…

+ vza004 on July 13th, 2012 at 6:25 pm said:

Is it only me who seems to think that Crunchyroll is using the same subs scripts from fan subs?

+ perrandy on July 13th, 2012 at 6:27 pm said:

since i’m a dub fan i think that neon alley could be up my alley.although i must say,that crunchyroll provides an awesome service if you want to sub and simulcast your stuff directly from japan.i’m currently using hulu plus and i wonder how these services will affect the anime content on hulu? but yah i might try the neon valley app to see how good it is :0

+ loganwolf13 on July 13th, 2012 at 6:34 pm said:

YESSS!

+ mckg123456789 on July 13th, 2012 at 6:38 pm said:

Cannot wait for crunchyroll app :). I do not like the the viz shows so far, we will see what else it offers, i think funimation(the current anime comp with the most shows licensed in the US) would of been a better app, but we will see how viz handles this. either way cannot wait, anime apps for anime lovers like myself! SWEET!

+ MakoSOLIDER on July 13th, 2012 at 6:39 pm said:

Honestly I would subscribe to an anime servuce that gave me all the anime why I want because I want to support those people. Its the same reason I buy games New all the time. However, I always watch anime online because I hate the English Dubbing. If u cud get JP with English subbs than I’m on board, otherwise I’m not. Its the advantage games have over this. There not region locked.

+ Sevyne on July 13th, 2012 at 6:43 pm said:

Okay now this is awesome. I’ve been hoping for a Crunchyroll PS3 app for a long time now!

+ Sevyne on July 13th, 2012 at 6:46 pm said:

@MakoSOLIDER: Crunchyroll sounds like what you are looking for then. The stuff they provide is straight from Japan with JP voices untouched and English subs.

+ inuyasha5400 on July 13th, 2012 at 6:47 pm said:

does the 30 day trial require a credit card for crunchyroll?

+ Talgron on July 13th, 2012 at 6:51 pm said:

So Neon Alley plays like a normal TV channel?, and you only get 1 channel? I have Hulu Plus and it has a surprisingly large amount of anime but 90% subbed and nothing to tell you if its subbed or dubbed you have to sit through the first commericals to see. I just wish there was a service that has all their shows in both sub and dub. I grow tired of the sub only.

+ jose213jose on July 13th, 2012 at 6:55 pm said:

Holy wow, by time we get anime app for PS3. I’m big time anime fan and i watch a lot on crunchyroll.com everyday. Thanks for being great anime app :) so happy now. I been requesting it for the longest and its happening now sweet.

:) :) :) :) SO HAPPY; YAY

sorry for the way i’m just now; can’t hold back sometimes.

+ Paul Sullivan on July 13th, 2012 at 7:33 pm said:

Don’t hold back! Sometimes you just have to let it all out!

+ Robbie_G_lrish on July 13th, 2012 at 6:57 pm said:

@ Sevyne That’s good to know. English dubs often ruin it for me.

+ ryohazuki224 on July 13th, 2012 at 7:03 pm said:

crunchyroll is cool. Neon alley….. Not so much. Just look at the company that’s running it, Viz. Viz has been ruining anime and manga for near thirty years! They’re not gonna stop anytime soon… Believe it! (haha, couldn’t resist that one!)

+ MakoSOLIDER on July 13th, 2012 at 7:06 pm said:

Oh if there r subbs then Im on board. Also good job for SONY getting these exclusive services

+ Paul Sullivan on July 13th, 2012 at 7:34 pm said:

Thanks! Some folks like the subs, some not so much. It’s good to have choice.

+ xxThe_Fuhrer-xx on July 13th, 2012 at 7:15 pm said:

Nice. As an anime fan. This is some great news.

+ Dcrazy204 on July 13th, 2012 at 7:21 pm said:

Can you guys add a time Warner cable app on psn store so that I could watch cable tv straigh to the ps3 without using the cable system.The iPad could do it is even less powerful than the ps3

+ gaspararreguin on July 13th, 2012 at 7:29 pm said:

How we pay like adding money to the playstation store or how

+ Erza_Scarlet on July 13th, 2012 at 7:29 pm said:

This will be only for USA like Amazon Video or you can use it in another countries?

+ SkyShadowNinja91 on July 13th, 2012 at 8:00 pm said:

seriously a subscription for neon alley. rather just watch it on vizanime.com for free. hey could you see if maybe plus members can get a reduced price on subscription?

+ MakoSOLIDER on July 13th, 2012 at 8:06 pm said:

Guess this is a good time to request:
1)Ability to download vis via YT APP
2)Skype text chat and less battery life consumption
3)G+ App
4)Wake up Club??? When’s it coming? Will it release within the summer?

+ WastelandDan on July 13th, 2012 at 8:33 pm said:

I was just sitting on my Ipad the other day wishing CruncyRoll was on PS3 and Vita…I couldnt be more pleased.

I have been getting very tired of the offerings that are put up recently for stream on NetFlix and now I got some more options coming.

+ Paul Sullivan on July 13th, 2012 at 9:47 pm said:

Yep, agreed. As stated above, options are a great thing to have! Glad we could make a wish come true.

+ CHIEFSHOTTY on July 13th, 2012 at 9:01 pm said:

oh MAN THIS IS GREAT! Huge Anime fan and now i have another reason to keep my PS3 on for hours and hours. This is a Joyful day INDEED!
Keep it Comin Sony!!

+ iiONyKz-_MaQuIrO on July 13th, 2012 at 9:01 pm said:

No money for this!
Bring
Pandora radio app
Google Voice app
Watch Espn app
Optimus app
Update; Skype, YouTube and FaceBook!!
and then the rest!
PLEASE!!!! THANKZ

+ WastelandDan on July 13th, 2012 at 9:02 pm said:

???QUESTION???

Will the Crunchy Roll app coming out later for the Vita support play over 3G and/or Wifi??

I just want to say that the fact that NetFlix does not work over 3G on my Vita(last i checked) is one of the big reasons I am planning to switch to one or both of these services when they come out.

+ SpiritThief on July 13th, 2012 at 9:35 pm said:

Will there be any yearly subs instead of just by the month?

+ Hokage_45678 on July 13th, 2012 at 9:49 pm said:

For those people asking for PSVita application. I am a crunchyroll member and I can confirm from Crunchyrolls behalf that there is a PSVita Cruncyroll app coming later this year after the launch of the PS3 one. As for Neon Ally. I am sure it is going to come aswell. We just don’t have any details yet but yeah for CR its been confirmed 1000%

+ cybar23tygar on July 13th, 2012 at 10:20 pm said:

Please app it to the psvita as well

+ HeeroCobain on July 13th, 2012 at 10:35 pm said:

Will the Crunchyroll app stream the 1080p feeds for series that currently support that or do they max at 720p?

+ Kchow23 on July 13th, 2012 at 11:14 pm said:

Was pretty certain that Game Informer reported that Crunchyroll was coming to PS Vita a while ago. However, when will we see a patch to fix some of the issues with the PS Vita and finally get 100% PSP title support?

+ Logan22 on July 13th, 2012 at 11:34 pm said:

I’ll definitely hop on when Crunchyroll lays out the free, lesser version for everyone else! I think it’ll be a daily thing for a lot of people that can’t spare the monthly cost.

+ akibake on July 14th, 2012 at 12:45 am said:

I hate when English dubs are the only choice. It’s sad that Netflix doesn’t have more comprehensive options for original Japanese audio with subs, English overdubs, or even original audio with no subs at all. I hope these new apps are more flexible so I can enjoy anime with its original audio.

+ ElektroDragon on July 14th, 2012 at 1:03 am said:

This is FANTASTIC! I just hope the selection is large and varied and not constrained to a single publisher like Funimation channel.

+ Budweiser_PR on July 14th, 2012 at 1:35 am said:

Good Job Sony but the PS3 needs strong Apps like: Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, ESPN, Pandora Radio and the most anticipaded Skype .

+ GWZ_001 on July 14th, 2012 at 2:35 am said:

it should be free to watch

+ MoneyEscobar2in1 on July 14th, 2012 at 2:47 am said:

THIS IS AWESOME: More and More I Love being Forever Playstation, Anime and Video Gaming at it’s best, PS is as Good as it gets, Viz Media and Crunchyroll made an awesome Choice in Picking us. and to Dub Haters I say only one thing: Dub/Sub end of the day It’s Still anime. I love english dubs more, so this is awesome!!!!

BTW question to the Blog, do you know when the date for Both Crunchyroll and Neon Alley are coming to PSN?

PAGE 1 2 3