Tearaway Unfolded

Jul 18

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault Adds a Tower-Defense Twist

James Stevenson's Avatar Posted by James Stevenson on Jul 18, 2012 // Community Lead, Insomniac Games

Hey everyone, James from Insomniac Games here. Our team of veteran Insomniacs in North Carolina has been hard at work developing Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, and today I’m happy to share new details surrounding Ratchet & Clank’s latest PSN adventure.

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault heads back to the classic camera, weapons and third-person Ratchet gameplay that the series is known for, while adding a new tower defense element that will have you building and defending a base against invasions using your ultimate Ratchet & Clank arsenal. This new twist, added to the classic Ratchet gameplay, brings a whole new level of strategy and decision-making to Full Frontal Assault. You’ll want to make sure your Hoverboots are laced up and ready as you race to defeat your enemy while keeping your base secure. Wait, Hoverboots don’t have laces…

In Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, our heroes face a new nemesis – one who has a nasty surprise planned for Captain Qwark. You’ll be able to choose between playing as Ratchet, Clank, or Captain Qwark, and confront an alien army across five levels set on three different planets. The game allows you and a friend to play together with either split-screen or online cooperative gameplay.

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal AssaultRatchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault

Full Frontal Assault will give you a ton of reasons to keep playing, including an online mode we’ll reveal later, as well as loads of upgrades, extra character skins and unlockable content, but we’d like to show you first screenshots of the game here!

Everyone here is very excited to bring Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault to you this fall. In the meantime, for those of you hungering for a Ratchet & Clank fix, be sure to check out the Ratchet & Clank Collection when it launches in the U.S. on August 28th. You may have seen some of the great reviews from the European release.

There will be much more to come from Ratchet & Clank this summer and fall, as we celebrate their 10th Anniversary! To keep up with the latest news, be sure to like Insomniac Games on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter.

+ nikeybellic on July 18th, 2012 at 4:11 pm said:

You guys better not be doing it like Assassin’s Creed Revelations……

+ BlaqMagiq24 on July 18th, 2012 at 4:14 pm said:

@James Stevenson

I’m really looking forward to Full Frontal Assault. It’s a R&C game and Insomniac always delivers with them. Pay no mind to these whiners on here as they are judging before the game even comes out which is a shame. Just keep doing what youre doing. But I gotta ask though:

Will there be a Ratchet Deadlocked HD? I just gotta get some kind of response. Any kind would be appreciated.

+ Wozman23 on July 18th, 2012 at 4:16 pm said:

Just wanted to say All4One was amazing. It saddens me to see that so many people didn’t care for it, as it had all the classic R&C charm, some really beautiful environments, and top-notch humor. A tower defense twist sounds great. I hate to see you have to pitch this one harder because of people’s narrow-mindedness.

Full Frontal Assault, like all Insomniac games, will be a Day 1 purchase.

+ andremal on July 18th, 2012 at 4:21 pm said:

My first exposure to R&C was ACIT when I first got my PS3. It was one of the purest ‘fun’ times I’ve had. I’ve since played Tools and Quest for Booty. I’m very excited for the HD Collection. However, just the screenshot at the top of this article tickles me pink. I’m thirsty for any and all R&C I can get my grubby little hands on! I took All 4 One for what it was and had a blast both alone and with friends. I’m really looking forward to Full Frontal Assault and would encourage everyone to thank Insomniac for not abandoning this beloved Franchise as they move from PS exclusive to Multi-platform. It would have been easy for them to just drop the series since it only targets half of the consoles available to them now.

Thanks Insomniac! Here’s hoping FFA reaches both Critic and Fan success and that you keep the R&C content coming!

+ PS_man1984 on July 18th, 2012 at 4:24 pm said:

I thought Insomniac was going to go multiplatform? Why are you guys still making exclusive games for Sony? It’s been 15 years, and we still haven’t seen an Insomniac game on other platforms. You guys aren’t even owned by Sony, so you can walk away at any time.

+ Mattotastic on July 18th, 2012 at 4:27 pm said:

I’ve never played a Ratchet & Clank game before so I’m glad to be getting the HD Collection next month.
Hopefully I’ll be done with it by the time this comes out.

+ PS_man1984 on July 18th, 2012 at 4:28 pm said:

Insomniac has been stuck with Sony for the past 15 years. They aren’t even owned by Sony, can’t they just walk away and develop for other platforms?

+ lionheart543 on July 18th, 2012 at 4:45 pm said:

Will the tower defense gameplay affect how long the campaign is cuz I would prefer a longer campaign

+ leslein97 on July 18th, 2012 at 4:46 pm said:

Day 1 purchase, Insomniac has kept my PS3 running, and will continue to do so. Thanks for the terrific games, and I’ll mention Resistance 3 b/c that game did not get enough love from the community.

+ ChocoboJoseph on July 18th, 2012 at 4:49 pm said:

From what you said I’m picturing Dungeon Defenders but with Ratchet and that sounds FLIPPING AWESOME…..

+ sekaniy on July 18th, 2012 at 4:49 pm said:

I think it will be okay. I didn’t mind the time freezing elements to ACIT and really enjoyed the Clank puzzles! Anyone who really knows R&C know every game has great platforming, GUNZ, and some type of puzzles. This may be a part of the puzzles that go with this game. A4O was good for what it was co-op focused and 4player local/online multiplayer. Pictures look a lot better than A4O and I hope Ratchet looks more grown up like the way he does on UYA cover!

+ Warp1280 on July 18th, 2012 at 5:06 pm said:

Will we be seeing any other characters like Talwyn, Sasha, Big Al, or Cronk and Zephyr ?

+ sekaniy on July 18th, 2012 at 6:08 pm said:

How will the screen be spli? Horizontal or Vertical? I liked the Vertical split, like on Portal2

+ camiwaits_us on July 18th, 2012 at 6:40 pm said:

I suck at defending towers, but i love those Ratchet & Clank. Day one buy!

+ BINK1234 on July 18th, 2012 at 6:56 pm said:

I always look forward to any new Ratchet and Clank game. Thanks for the update Insomniac!!!

+ PsychoSploosh69 on July 18th, 2012 at 7:02 pm said:

James, is this coming out for ps3 or vita? or both? Game looks awesome judging by the screenshots. I love how you guys are keeping cartoony games alive. Variety is definitely a good thing. That’s why I love Sony. They’re not all about shooter games.

+ Silent_Phase on July 18th, 2012 at 7:07 pm said:

I wonder if it’ll be just like Up Your Arsenal when we fought alongside the Galactic Rangers. *sniff* good times :’)
“Waste em’ Tyranoids!”

+ need4speeder on July 18th, 2012 at 8:34 pm said:

i’ll keep posting til james answer

will this GREEN RYNO be ryno 7????? since a4o had ryno armor suit.

+ SmithyJones on July 18th, 2012 at 9:22 pm said:

I have beena fan of the series since it first came out so I am really looking for ward to the HD collection as taking up the Grav bomb again and grav sniping my fellow vets and any and all new comers to UYA online.
I would like to know if the dan and nefarious skins will be in it and what about the santa ratchet skin and ape escape monkey or will the special skins be done by region again or not at all?
It wouldnt be the same playing UYA Online without the dan skin?

I am interested to see how this game will turn out
I havea feeling the tower defense will turn out to be V2 Siege mode for those that have played UYA online
Charge booting all over Bikisi, Korgan or Hoven attackting their base while soembody sits back and defends and having your middle fielder gun down the Rusher before he can get to your base.

Damn thinking about how this new twist makes me want to HD collection more

+ Sevyne on July 18th, 2012 at 9:24 pm said:

I’ll probably still be getting this because it’s R&C and bound to be at least decent. That said, I find Tower Defense to be the most mind-numbingly boring genre of gaming ever made so I can only pray this is a very minor piece of the game.

+ Spike-123_ on July 18th, 2012 at 9:30 pm said:

This game has Day 1 purchase written all over, cannot wait to get my hands on it this fall! I have a few questions I’d like you to clear up for me, James.

1) When you play the game in Single Player, will you have Clank on Ratchet’s back to do stuff from the Original games like use the Heli-Pack?

2) As I can see in the screenshots, It looks like the Buzz Blades are coming back and so to the Warmonger. Can we expect any other weapons to return? Possibly from the PS2 games.

3) In one of your replies to a person’s comment you said the Online will have heaps of Replay Value, does this suggest you are creating Competitive Multiplayer much like Up Your Arsenal’s and adding a ranking system much like CoD’s “Prestige” mode?

4) Will Characters from other Ratchet & Clank titles see itself in this because the EU name “Q-Force” gives me the impression of the characters from R&C3.

5) Will you guys continue to make Ratchet & Clank games after this? (Im curious to know more about the Lombaxes and if Ratchet will ever find them.)

6) Any consideration of either porting Full Frontal Assault or the HD Collection to the Vita?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
PS: Insomniac Games is #1!

+ DarkOne_PR on July 18th, 2012 at 9:36 pm said:

How About a Single blu-ray disc with Full Frontal Assault and Quest for Booty…. $19.99-24.99?

AWWW YEA PLS make it happen. I like my games physicals.

BTW insomniac…. PLS go back to Resistance…. go make it what made the first one the game that made me buy a ps3. Nathan Hale and its storyline was so awesome and so much to be done with him… and the ending in R3 was so weak and they left us no where with it…. PLS Give us R4 with the ending that franchise deserve.

Even in one of the intels u find in R2 i guess, they talk about regeneration and stuff…. how about Hale’s cells mixed together with the chimerian virus brought him back to life (given that Malikov had Hale’s body in one of those thanks with water and stuff) to give humanity their world back in a campaign back to back with Joseph Cappelli (Co-op Campaign with a second partner that matters in the story! Not like John….) Also to finish the story u can put the creatures or life specimens that forced the chimeras get out of this planet long ago that left a big hole unexplained… u can put cappelli and Hale in a quest to find the origins of this creatures and get them to help humanity one last time along with their efforts?

+ misael99 on July 18th, 2012 at 10:58 pm said:

I am really hoping that they’ll bring Courtney Gears back to show off her singing skills in another catchy but twisted music video,

+ TechBlast on July 18th, 2012 at 11:26 pm said:

Is it going to be a continuation to the main ratchet and clank story line or it will have it own story line?

+ Connor2122 on July 18th, 2012 at 11:27 pm said:

im excited for RATCHET & CLANK HD Collection august 28th is full frontal assault is it complety new game does it have multiplaye?r

+ Grey_Fox-47 on July 18th, 2012 at 11:55 pm said:

Defiantly getting this one. Cant wait to pick up the collection as well.

+ punishingbabies on July 19th, 2012 at 12:14 am said:

I’ve noticed the problem with all of these anti-tower defense comments is that their hatred toward this type of gameplay came from previous games that used tower defense in the past that didn’t gel well with the audience rather than Insomniac.
I trust in Insomniac and I believe they can pull this off. My guess that it will basically be Awesomenauts but with guns and jet boots. I’m down with that, but a lot of hardcore fans are still very skeptical…

I think it’s time to release the first trailer!

+ teran36 on July 19th, 2012 at 1:49 am said:

I guess I can get by the tower defense crap if the disco ball is a weapon

+ Kubak12 on July 19th, 2012 at 3:00 am said:

Looks great! In my opinion, all big “experiments” (like A4O) should be first tested in a short PSN game like QFB. But I hope It’ll work better than A4O. Good luck Insomniacs!
P. S. Will you bring less “comic book” desing of Ratchet, Clank and rest of the characters in your next big game?

+ tuna74 on July 19th, 2012 at 4:14 am said:

Will it be ~60 fps and play similarly to ToD and ACID?

+ Asim90 on July 19th, 2012 at 4:22 am said:

James, could you please give a rough estimate of the playtime for the campaign? I’m guessing around 5 hours. An estimate would be great please!

+ Sindred on July 19th, 2012 at 5:55 am said:

Can’t wait to play this. I think the term “Tower Defense” brings up the stink of over-saturated smart phone games, but Starhawk proves that there is a cool element to it, when done right.

I still don’t understand the hate for A41. We played the living heck out of it co-op. Such a blast. It’s not like the Mario series doesn’t take a break from the traditional platforming, and places its characters in different game styles. A41 was never a sequel to the series, it was just a different take on it with a unique play mechanic, and it was a blast, for those who could look beyond their own angsty attitude.

+ moog on July 19th, 2012 at 6:24 am said:

I’m a little skeptical that any tower defense theme can be anything other than tower defense, regardless of “twists”. Well, that’s my experience going back to when we had to load games from cassettes or bang a cartridge in the top. I guess we’ll see with this one.

As for A4O, the fixed camera killed that game for myself, my son and his friends. My son loves Rachet, but couldn’t bring himself to complete A4O alone or with multiplayer. It felt like you were chasing the Wii crowd years after the Wiis were packed away. I also had a recurring feeling it was an old abandoned project, dug up and pushed out for a quick release (apologies to those that worked hard on the game).

Download only in the US? That’s also pretty disappointing. PSN only puts it directly up against iDevice/Android/Steam gaming in our household. I can’t see my son wanting it over the amount of downloads he can get from elsewhere. If it was on a shelf, it would probably end up in a basket at some point when we’re in Target waiting for my wife taking forever looking at clothes ;-)

But it’s not negative feelings for R&C, Amazon just sent me an email stating the Collection will now ship at the end of August, and not October :D

+ Nates4Christ on July 19th, 2012 at 7:52 am said:

I’m really glad to hear there is going to be split screen. That is something lacking form the future series that was in some of the older games. I really enjoyed all4one so I am interested. I wish this was coming out now in this dry spell of new games.

+ Randinator-_001 on July 19th, 2012 at 11:05 am said:

i am kinda upset that this new ratchet game will be only for download. if it were available for retail i would buy it. i don’t like download-only games because it takes a lot of hard drive space and i’m not rich to upgrade my hard drive every time it gets full. but anyways i hope it gets available for plus members in the future, i’ve been a fan of ratchet since the PS2 games and been fan of insomniac since spyro of PSone :-). keep up the good work insomniac.

+ Crashpro3 on July 19th, 2012 at 4:49 pm said:

Seriously? All 4 One is the complete opposite of Ratchet & Clank design. The awful partner AI was unbearable, and considering I was close to finding an A bug an hour into the game, that’s pretty much a flag to NOT base anything on that engine again and stick with the Crack in Time build, which was a game that showed a true evolution in Ratchet & Clank design. The amount of frame rate drops, glitches and changes that even made weapons boring should have proved to you that Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One was a flop. Not to mention the critical and fan reception. Just don’t let the AI jump off of ledges for no reason in this one, please?

+ Enigma777 on July 19th, 2012 at 7:28 pm said:

You had me at hooverboots. Day one.

+ XtremeVirus on July 20th, 2012 at 5:52 am said:

R.I.P. 2012 ratchet and clank series, they killed it with “Innovation” and MP fad.

The PS2 and first 3 PS3 R&C games were awesome fun, im 32 years old and enjoyed the hell of them, I also finished ALL PSP titles, including the Clank game.

A4O was horrendous mutation, waste of budged, instead of making a normal R&C they made some abomination.

It looks like the new one will be more MP then SP..

Every developer said that adding MP takes from a SP budged, there is only so much money allocated for a game..

To be honest I hope it will have good SP, so ill just wait for a review instead of pre-ordering it like before.

I know its downloadable in USA, but like the Quest for Booty it will be out on a disk in UK, so if its good enough ill import a disk copy

+ XtremeVirus on July 20th, 2012 at 5:53 am said:

you can import a disk version from UK

+ SithLightening on July 27th, 2012 at 1:55 pm said:

Yay another ratchet and clank :D two things:

1. Will there be traditional collectibles like gold bolts, funny gadgets, epic guns??
2. And will there be a RYNO VI??

+ Incredible-M3h_ on July 27th, 2012 at 10:53 pm said:

Do you think there could still be various heli-pack/thruster-pack type abilities for when someone isn’t playing as clank?

Also, I’m really hoping that the characters aren’t played exactly the same. While it’s a fun concept to be able to play co-op together like this, I don’t want Clank to have the same exact abilities as Ratchet. You could probably have different weapon loadouts for each character. You could also do things like have Ratchet be able to walk on metal walls and ceilings because of the magnet boots, and Clank can do things like control gadge-bots and use his heli-pack for a tripple jump.

+ tabreez on August 2nd, 2012 at 2:49 pm said:

Is Nefarious going to be in it?

+ buginbug on August 2nd, 2012 at 3:53 pm said:

If this game has competitive online then I’d buy it on the spot. If it doesn’t then I’d wait to see reviews or videos on it first.

+ Voltron2014 on August 3rd, 2012 at 2:57 pm said:

I have all the Ratchet and Clank games. Played them all. Several times. BIG FAN. Pre-ordered 2 copies of the hd collection.
I have to say that all 4 one was so bad/ disappointing that after one play through as ratchet I GAVE the game away. Tried the online cop-op. Never got the sound to work?? Did it have microphone ability?? Turned into nothing but a contest to see who could get the most bolts instead of actually being a co=op to defeat the bad guy. I find it hard to believe that anyone at Insomniac was actually pleased with all 4 one. I will get the new game and try to keep an open mind.

+ PiNk_SnIpEz_xD on August 3rd, 2012 at 6:06 pm said:

Now, overall, I’ve really enjoyed the Ratchet and Clank series since it first came out in 2002, and have put at the #1 spot on my person list of favorite game/series. I also really tend to enjoy tower defense games, but this is one that either seems like, and/or that I would rather play at one of my friend’s houses first. Ratchet and Clank has never disappointed me, and that I’ve spent countless hours playing the series, I’m very intrigued, cautious, and left wanting more. I want to see the game for what it is, maybe play a level or two when/if a beta or demo comes out, and am looking forward to the older games coming back, but I don’t quite know if I will buy them or not, just because I played(and beat) each of them about 30-40 times(each).

+ PiNk_SnIpEz_xD on August 4th, 2012 at 6:17 pm said:

I also remain a bit skeptical mainly for a few reasons about the game at this point because of the TD addition, but, I’m sure, just like the rest of the series, that Insomniac Games shall, and will follow through with another all-around entrancing game within the Ratchet and Clank Omniverse. And for everyone else out there reading this, did you notice that the first level(usually the intro gameplay) of The Ratchet and Clank Future/All 4 One is a level from the very first Ratchet and Clank:
TOD: Metropolis
QFB: Never got to play it, and can never seem to find it.
ACIT: Metropolis(again) I believe
A4O: Igliak, also known as Darkwater City

+ jtt3242 on August 7th, 2012 at 7:20 pm said:

what weapons will be abalable

+ MaestroX on July 18th, 2012 at 9:07 am said:

tower defense? :/

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 18th, 2012 at 9:33 am said:

It’s a tower defense twist- not a full on TD game. It’s still the same Ratchet action you love, but you now have an additional layer of strategy in building and defending your base

+ G-Force08 on July 18th, 2012 at 9:09 am said:

Sounds interesting. Is this tower defense element sort of like what we have in Starhawk? A build and battle type of thing?

Either way, I love R&C and can’t wait to play!