Jul 18

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault Adds a Tower-Defense Twist

James Stevenson's Avatar Posted by James Stevenson on Jul 18, 2012 // Community Lead, Insomniac Games

Hey everyone, James from Insomniac Games here. Our team of veteran Insomniacs in North Carolina has been hard at work developing Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, and today I’m happy to share new details surrounding Ratchet & Clank’s latest PSN adventure.

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault heads back to the classic camera, weapons and third-person Ratchet gameplay that the series is known for, while adding a new tower defense element that will have you building and defending a base against invasions using your ultimate Ratchet & Clank arsenal. This new twist, added to the classic Ratchet gameplay, brings a whole new level of strategy and decision-making to Full Frontal Assault. You’ll want to make sure your Hoverboots are laced up and ready as you race to defeat your enemy while keeping your base secure. Wait, Hoverboots don’t have laces…

In Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, our heroes face a new nemesis – one who has a nasty surprise planned for Captain Qwark. You’ll be able to choose between playing as Ratchet, Clank, or Captain Qwark, and confront an alien army across five levels set on three different planets. The game allows you and a friend to play together with either split-screen or online cooperative gameplay.

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal AssaultRatchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault

Full Frontal Assault will give you a ton of reasons to keep playing, including an online mode we’ll reveal later, as well as loads of upgrades, extra character skins and unlockable content, but we’d like to show you first screenshots of the game here!

Everyone here is very excited to bring Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault to you this fall. In the meantime, for those of you hungering for a Ratchet & Clank fix, be sure to check out the Ratchet & Clank Collection when it launches in the U.S. on August 28th. You may have seen some of the great reviews from the European release.

There will be much more to come from Ratchet & Clank this summer and fall, as we celebrate their 10th Anniversary! To keep up with the latest news, be sure to like Insomniac Games on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter.

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ Urethra-Alfredo on July 18th, 2012 at 10:03 am said:

So…this is a real Ratchet and Clank game?

Because, as a long standing PS Plus member, I finally got around to playing All 4 One.

It was horrendous. The digital equivalent of whatever dribbles out of a sickly dog’s backend. Not at all something that should’ve received the R&C branding.

What concerns me is that this is being made by Insomniac’s South Carolina studio…the same studio that mollywopped me with their interminably agonizing multiplayer-centric effort.

All I want is some good old-fashioned, single-player, too many weaponed hilarious Ratchet and Clank goodness. With a third person camera. And a solid story…where the main menu doesn’t have the gall to flippantly ask you “what level?”

I was hoping for a final entry in the “Ratchet and Clank: Future” series, but as long as this isn’t bunk…I’ll take it.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 18th, 2012 at 10:21 am said:

Crack in Time was the final Future game. And if you want to play single player, classic camera, third person Ratchet, this game will be right up your alley

+ aro52 on July 18th, 2012 at 10:12 am said:

After AC: Revelations, “Tower defense twist” makes me cringe, but I have faith in you Insomniac!

+ Satnamji on July 18th, 2012 at 10:13 am said:

Looks like I’ll be playing old and new Ratchet & Clank games from September through the end of the year–especially with online components in both Full Frontal and the R&C HD Collection (who needs CoD? lol)

By the way, will Full Frontal have a platinum trophy and will there be online trophies?

+ Hi-Q47 on July 18th, 2012 at 10:11 am said:

Strategy… sounds like one I won’t be able to finish.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 18th, 2012 at 10:22 am said:

It’s a later of strategy – the core gameplay is still about your ability to use your weapon and master the classic Ratchet gameplay

+ Victoryismine52 on July 18th, 2012 at 10:32 am said:

Love it! I’m already picking up the collection for my sons birthday and this will be a definite day 1 purchase for me. Love the inclusion of split-screen,

Questions: Is there still going to be a story or is this just a wave defense game? Please say there’s a story
and when do you think we’ll get to see the first trailer? My son always got so excited when ever I got to show him a trailer for R&C All4One he’d just say let’s play ratchet and clank 4 now and I’d have to tell him he had to wait.
You mentioned 3 characters is it 2 player split-screen or 3 player? I’ve got 3 kids and the 2 oldest love ratchet and Clank and I wouldn’t mind getting to play as well ;)

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 18th, 2012 at 12:01 pm said:

There is definitely a story and a brand new villain. You’ll see a bit in the first trailer.

It’s two-player split-screen, you just get to pick which character you are playing as / upgrading etc from one of three choices (Ratchet / Clank / Qwark)

+ Dustinwp on July 18th, 2012 at 10:36 am said:

I’m total R&C junkie, and really stoked for this game! I have platinum trophies for R&C:A Crack in Time as well R&C:All 4 One. Soon will have them for R&C Collection and Full Frontal Assault.

Will this title feature drop-in and out co-op like All 4 One? Also, any possibility of trophy support for R&C:Tools of Destruction? I’ve played through it three times, but would love another reason to revisit it.

+ OmegaDyne on July 18th, 2012 at 10:36 am said:

You guys do realize that by our pleas for you to return the series to its roots, we meant something a little more substantial than the camera angle? Having a fixed camera wasn’t exactly the all-changing formula in All4One. It was the fact it was a completely different game altogether. I think I’ll just stick with the HD collection and pass on the series’ new direction.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 18th, 2012 at 12:02 pm said:

You’ll be missing out though – this title is going to have a ton of great Ratchet gameplay for a great price.

+ FireBomberSeven on July 18th, 2012 at 10:43 am said:

So we’ll probably never get another good Ratchet and Clank action-platformer again, will we? That sucks.

+ Hellman on July 18th, 2012 at 10:44 am said:

Sounds cool! I love tower defense strategy games and think this is an interesting twist.

+ Shin-Ra on July 18th, 2012 at 10:44 am said:

James, I think what people are worried about is that the levels are going to be relatively small arenas, like tower defence levels and that even if there’s nooks and crannies to explore in those arenas, it doesn’t give a feeling of travel and adventure, even to the extent Quest for Booty did.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 18th, 2012 at 12:03 pm said:

No, there are still lots of areas to explore. The levels are big enough that you need hoverboots to get around and fully enjoy the game. So we still have plenty for you to see

+ Jamesyp00 on July 18th, 2012 at 10:44 am said:

Please please please bring back the magic from A crack in time, That game was perfect, it was like you were living and playing a pixar movie. I was so excited for A4O when i first heard about it, but it was just awful, no great story, the graphics took a shot down, and the humour and weapons weren’t that great, Bring back the good R&C with this please!

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on July 18th, 2012 at 10:45 am said:

Awesome, I hate tower defense.

+ Victoryismine52 on July 18th, 2012 at 10:48 am said:

“I guessed I missed Ratchet & Clank becoming a mediocre franchise.”

“So you made All4One and just shoved it out to stores without looking at the responses from fans and critics? Nice.”

I’m a father of 3. I have gaming boys aged 3 & 4 and they love Ratchet and Clank. Ratchet and Clank All 4 One is one of the most played games in my household and is one of our favorite games. The game is beautiful and a lot of fun. Stop making judgements about a game because it doesn’t fit your nostalgic preferences and enjoy it for what it is, R&C Crack in time is one of my favorite games and I could see how someone wanting more of that game could be upset with the formula in All4One but if you look at All4One as what it is a 4 player co-op action game set in the ratchet and clank universe then it is a fantastic game and probably one of the best in it’s genre.

Keep up the great work insomniac!

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 18th, 2012 at 12:04 pm said:

Thanks for the kind words!

+ Squiggle55 on July 18th, 2012 at 10:49 am said:

I’m 10 times more excited about this hearing about the tower defense twist. I’d also like to echo that a challenging platinum trophy would be extremely awesome.

+ Pikmologist on July 18th, 2012 at 10:51 am said:

I am going to be new to the Ratchet series this August when I pick up the Collection. I have always been a Jak & Daxter fan instead. I have not given Insomniac a chance yet.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 18th, 2012 at 12:06 pm said:

Let us know what you think after you play the first three games!

+ Reluctant-Hero on July 18th, 2012 at 10:52 am said:

James, do you know if Full Frontal Assault will be receiving an English physical release in any regions outside the US? I love the R&C series and I went through the trouble of importing the UK release of Quest for Booty back when it released.

I’d love to be about to have a nice PS3 blu-ray case for Full Frontal Assault to place on my shelf with Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time and the upcoming HD collection!

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 18th, 2012 at 12:06 pm said:

Yes, I believe in Ireland or somewhere English in Europe will be going on shelves. Details aren’t fully worked out yet though

+ Gappychan on July 18th, 2012 at 11:12 am said:

Side Question: Is there any Plan to have The Ratchet and Clank: Future in a Bundle/Collection package sold for those that haven’t played the PS3 Trilogy? I’ve played ’em all, but I really liked this gen’s series and I think many who haven’t jumped on board yet, might take the opportunity to catch up.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 18th, 2012 at 12:06 pm said:

Up to Sony, but that’d be killer

+ Gappychan on July 18th, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

I’m just gonna group my compliments here:
-A Crack in Time was the most beautiful game I’ve ever seen. The detail to fleshing out the different creatures and worlds in that game was phenomenal. the 60fps was buttery smooth too! The little things like the Radio stations when flying though space was fantastic. My favorite Part about the RaC universe is the characters are all interesting a diverse, and humorous!

-I have great Memories with UYA Multiplayer. That game and Star Wars Battle Front were great, and eventually convinced me to get a PS3 for Warhawk. I know you guys will do what you want, but my wish would be to see a RaC Multiplayer with tons of ridiculous characters from over the years, keeping the basic design of the original multiplayer, but adding elements of SW:BF and WH (Vehicles and Space Battles) would be amazing!!
And RaC is one of the Few universes that would work very well. And you could add a level of Humor that most Multiplayer games just could not achieve.

-Groovatron is the Best Weapon ever!!

-Side Plug: Does Insomniac have it’s own advertising department? I ask because I’m in Media Advertisment.

+ Darth-Krayt on July 18th, 2012 at 11:19 am said:

And with this game Insomniac, you’ve regained an old Ratchet customer. I had all the PS2 Ratchets, and I LOVED the online on the later PS2 games. I got PS3 at lauch and couldn’t wait to get my pre-ordered copy of Future:Tools. Then I found out there was no online so I cancelled my pre-order and you guys havn’t done what it took to pull me back to Ratchet………..until now. This is the kind of online Ratchet game I envisioned when I was waiting for Tools info.

So it’s basically like a Ratchet and Clank Hoard Mode mixed with a little bit of Dungeon Defenders style Tower Defense? Amazing!! ANd at an affordable PSN price? You’ve out-done yourselves this time. The only improvement I could think of would be more than 4 player co-op instead. I’ll be buying this when it launches regardless though, because as long as the co-op’s online, I’m interested.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for post launch support on a game like this. A hoard mode/TD blend game is absolutely RIPE for unlimited amounts DLC levels. On a game like this, I’d buy any piece you put out.

+ Darth-Krayt on July 18th, 2012 at 11:25 am said:

I meant the only thing that would make it better to me would be 4-player co-op instead of 2. Not more than 4, sorry

+ Ganryu_GDM on July 18th, 2012 at 11:28 am said:

TD + Ratchet & Clank with coop will be STELLAR!!!

Looking forward…

+ Destiny89 on July 18th, 2012 at 11:50 am said:

Cannot wait for this game! Day 1

+ OSAMABINLADEN04 on July 18th, 2012 at 11:53 am said:

This game looks good. James how much will this games cost and is it only a Playstation download only.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 18th, 2012 at 12:08 pm said:

It’ll be download only in North America and on blu-ray in Europe.

Price isn’t set yet. It’ll be a beefy package with a lot of value though

+ Elvick_ on July 18th, 2012 at 12:05 pm said:

As a huge Ratchet and Clank fan, I’m ashamed of some of the ‘fans’ here but to each their own.

I loved All 4 One, it was top-down, but still felt R&C despite the change and it was more glitching (expected) it was still great and had a wonderful story and environments to go through. Even if I accept it as a ‘mediocre’ game, which I personally don’t, one game doesn’t make an entire franchise mediocre. Needs to be a pattern of mediocrity for that. And there hasn’t been with R&C. Even including non-Insomniac games on the PSP.

PAGE 1 2 3 4