Uncharted 4

Jul 24

Foosball 2012

Foosball 2012 Drops on PSN Today!

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar Posted by Jakub Mikyska on Jul 24, 2012 // CEO, Grip Games

Jakub from Grip Games here! Today is a great day for our small indie studio — Foosball 2012 is out today on PSN! I’m stopping by the PS.Blog today to answer a few questions about the game.

Foosball 2012 is another entry in the line of not-so-typical-for-a-console-game sports, like darts, bowling, pool, or golf that we have seen recently on the PlayStation Store. If you weren’t sure which platform to get the game on, we think you’ll appreciate that when you buy the game for PS3, you’ll get the PS Vita version for free and the other way around!

A lot of people ask us “Why foosball?” and we keep telling them “Why not?” Other games that wouldn’t seem to be well-suited to a console experience managed to capture the essence of those games, and we hope to do the same with Foosball 2012. It is not just about playing foosball, it’s about playing a quick, skill-based game, that is easy to handle, but difficult to master. A game with a great multiplayer component and entertaining single-player mode, lots of customizations and Leaderboards to keep track of where you and your friends are standing against the global competition.

Foosball 2012 on PSN

If you own both the PS3 and PS Vita, you’ll also appreciate full cross-compatibility between the two platforms. Not only can play online against people on the other platform, but you’ll also have your saves automatically synchronized between your two PlayStation consoles. That way, you can enjoy Foosball 2012 in gorgeous 1080p, 60FPS beauty on your TV, then take it on the road with you on PS Vita and continue from where you left off.

Many of you also asked about the controls. You can either play using the DualShock controller, where the left stick controls the movements of the poles and the right stick shoots the ball (so you can precisely aim and control the power of the shot), or you can use PlayStation Move and play foosball just like the real thing! You can also use touch controls on Vita, if that’s more your speed.

Foosball 2012 on PSNFoosball 2012 on PSN

Both the PS3 and PS Vita versions will come in the form of a free trial that you can upgrade to the full version, so you will be able to try the game before you buy it. Foosball 2012 will be $7.99, or $5.99 if you’re a PlayStation Plus member. Buying the game on PS3 will also let you download it for Vita for free, and the other way around.

For more information, check out our website, along with our Facebook and Twitter pages.

PAGE 1 2

+ NHDrumline17 on July 24th, 2012 at 7:12 am said:

I have a couple of questions you could possibly answer:

1. Custom soundtrack support?

2. 3D support on PS3?

3. Will all future DLC be cross compatible? Like Hustle Kings/Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3?

4. What’s the career mode like?

5. Trophy lists? Is there a platinum?

6. If I unlock a trophy on one game, will it automatically unlock in the other?

Thanks a bunch! Can’t wait to pick up this game later.

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 24th, 2012 at 7:26 am said:

I most definitely can! ;-)

1) No

2) No. The game runs at FullHD and 60fps. We were considering 3D, but that would limit the fps to 30. The game looks and plays much better at 60fps, so we decided to not do 3D.

3) Yes

4) There are 20 regular + 8 very hard matches, each placed in one of the world’s major cities. You play through all of them and each opponent gives you a reward for winning, like a new table or a new customization. You also get stars depending on how well you have played and stars are used to unlock some content, so you will be motivated to come back to already beaten opponents and play better.

5) 1 Gold, 4 Silver, 7 bronze. There are throphies for progressing through the World tour mode, others are skill-based, like scoring a goal with the goalkeeper, winning without receiving a goal, etc.

6) Yes

You’re welcome! ;-)

+ joey_joey_joey8 on July 24th, 2012 at 8:18 am said:

Thank you for the response. so i guess, the ball sticks to the poles. and you can push the shoulder buttons to move to the other pole you are controlling? right? hmmm. im buying:D sounds fun in multiplayer.

+ Jofepz on July 24th, 2012 at 8:30 am said:

player vs. player mode??

+ saab01 on July 24th, 2012 at 8:35 am said:

I just hope we see a demo today. In the drop post it did not say a demo would be released so I hope you can confirm that there will be a demo. I would like to try it before I make the purchase.

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 24th, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

There definitely should be a demo for both PS3 and PS Vita. I have seen the Drop Post and that the demo was missing there too. I have asked about it and was assured that the demo will be there :-)

+ wheelers1971 on July 24th, 2012 at 8:42 am said:

Foosball…REALLY PlayStation…You have a great portable system like PS Vita and all you can come up with is Foosball. You need to get better games out that have more action on them then what you are releasing. LIke a God of War…or a new version of Crash Bandicoot…something more challenging. Even better, convert some of the PS 3 games for the PS Vita. Stop making these lame games and get the good games out.

+ aro52 on July 24th, 2012 at 8:48 am said:

$5.99 for both versions… count me in! Most interested to see how well this translates to Move. That could be THE way to play it.

+ brolol07 on July 24th, 2012 at 8:48 am said:

Can you tell us what the controls are for the Vita also? Thanks

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 24th, 2012 at 11:53 am said:

The Vita controls are exactly the same as the ones I have described a few posts earlier. Plus you can you touch on Vita to shoot

+ Thwip on July 24th, 2012 at 8:56 am said:

It sounds like you guys have ALL of the bases covered with this one…well done! As a PlayStation Plus member ($5.99 for me), a Move owner, and a Vita owner; I can’t think of any reason not to support your offering. Unbelievably I have never really even played Foosball (aside from perhaps a demo unit at a toy store or something), so I am really looking forward to trying it out, and supporting your efforts.

+ vanwinkle on July 24th, 2012 at 9:09 am said:

@wheelers1971, are you senile? This isn’t made by Sony. Are you suggesting Sony shouldn’t allow other developers to make games for the Vita until Sony themselves have made enough to your liking? My goodness, I want more Vita games, too, but why on earth would anybody be mad that non-Sony developers are making games on my favorite platform?

+ ridwaan-5 on July 24th, 2012 at 9:18 am said:

if we buy the game on 1 of those consoles,can we get it for free on the other like the wipeout fury or is it a payment for both?

and can we use the ps vita as a controller on the ps3?(i mean not crossplay,instead of the dualshock or ps move)

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 24th, 2012 at 11:56 am said:

Yes. Buying it for one console lets you download it on the console for free. You cannot use Vita as a controller on the PS3. But DualShock works really really well with the game ;-)

+ gm914 on July 24th, 2012 at 9:20 am said:

Read the article.

Read the article.

+ Monterossa on July 24th, 2012 at 9:44 am said:

PES 2013 is better than this. bring PES to PSN!!!

+ Squiggle55 on July 24th, 2012 at 10:09 am said:

thanks Jakub. I’m gonna pick up the demo first just to make sure I like the gameplay and controls, but I’m confident I’ll be buying this one today. Is there a seemless automatic switch between poles, like do you automatically control the pole closest to the ball?

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 24th, 2012 at 11:58 am said:

You control all the poles at once. Or, if you use two Move controllers, or switch to expert control settings, you control pairs of poles simultaneously. It sounds a bit strange, but it works really well once you try it.

+ BL_Kamaji on July 24th, 2012 at 10:36 am said:

Any idea when this is going to drop today? Still not seeing it on my Vita!

+ harbihamza on July 24th, 2012 at 10:49 am said:

Well it says today but I can’t find it on the store D:

+ Mavester on July 24th, 2012 at 10:56 am said:

I am actually a real life professional foosball player, and avid gamer! I love this idea, if the controls are done correctly, this could be tons of fun.

Just wanted to support the game, will defenitely be purchasing this soon!

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 24th, 2012 at 11:59 am said:

Thank you! :-)

+ BL_Kamaji on July 24th, 2012 at 11:47 am said:

Everything I have looked at on forums suggests a 5pm – 9pm (PST) average time of update, however, it could update 3 minutes before midnight as well. Just have to keep checking back.

This is a day one purchase for me. I have high hopes for this game, i really do.

+ harbihamza on July 24th, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

Thanks it’s on the store now and it’s awesome I love the game

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 24th, 2012 at 7:28 am said:

The PS Plus discount will be available for only a limited time ;-)

+ dylandjd513 on July 24th, 2012 at 7:30 am said:

Will it come out on vita soon?

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 24th, 2012 at 7:36 am said:

Yes. Today ;-) Both versions are released simultaneously.

+ jdbloom on July 24th, 2012 at 7:32 am said:

I know it’s for a limited time, but I just picked up God of War 3 and I’ll be getting Ghost of Sparta soon. Plus, I got Dyad. So my wallet can’t handle it all. :D

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 24th, 2012 at 7:38 am said:

Alright. The quality of your game selection is at least a small solace for us ;-)

+ NHDrumline17 on July 24th, 2012 at 7:34 am said:

Thanks again for all of the answers! That’s prompted a few more questions:

1. Any sort of customization options for tables/characters? I think taking a picture with the vita and using it as a table background would be awesome.

2. Is there ad-hoc play for the Vita version?

3. Any word on upcoming DLC?

4. I think I can rephrase the question from #2 a bit better. On the Vita, if you’re in a party, you’re able to join a friends game straight from the party using a little icon (look at Resistance Burning Skies and WipEout 2048 for examples). It’s in the manual right here: http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/party/duringparty.html Do you guys support that?

Thanks again, I’ll probably have even more questions the more I think.

+ BraidedWALLACE on July 24th, 2012 at 7:16 am said:

Is there VOICE CHAT and quick join option on the Vita version from the friend list.

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 24th, 2012 at 7:27 am said:

Voice chat is only enabled in the PS3 version and you can invite friends from your friend list. When starting an online room, you can make it a private room, so no one ,except those who were invited by you, can join.

+ gm914 on July 24th, 2012 at 7:18 am said:

Definitely getting this today.
So I think I now have 4 Vita games, and I don’t even have a Vita!
Sony should encourage other developers to follow this path. Eventually I’ll have a whole catalog of Vita games, and it’ll be only a matter of time until I won’t be able to resist buying a Vita.
Cross-platform purchases FTW!

+ jdbloom on July 24th, 2012 at 7:26 am said:

Thank you so much for doing one price! I’ll be picking this up at a later point. :)

+ joey_joey_joey8 on July 24th, 2012 at 7:48 am said:

how is the controls? 1 player controls 2 sticks? if left stick is up and down and right stick is forward or backward. how can we choose which stick to control?

+ vanwinkle on July 24th, 2012 at 7:52 am said:

Never played foosball before, but will be purchasing.

+ rightontargt4 on July 24th, 2012 at 7:56 am said:

I’m god-awful at Foosball, but maybe you guys can help me get my game back. I’ll be picking this up as well – at 5.99, why wouldn’t I?

+ Kluzot on July 24th, 2012 at 7:57 am said:

Could we play with the player head ? I mean the head will be able to reach the ball on the ground ? I hope the answer is yes because it offer a lot more strategic side

+ adolson on July 24th, 2012 at 8:05 am said:

Totally bought. Thank you!

+ FriedConsole on July 24th, 2012 at 8:06 am said:

Awesome. Will purchase. Love the concept of a Foosballing other countries. Makes me wonder why Foosball isn’t in the Olympics?

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 24th, 2012 at 8:14 am said:

The International Table Soccer Federation is actively working on establishing foosball as an Olympic sport. One day… :-)

+ joey_joey_joey8 on July 24th, 2012 at 8:07 am said:

someone please tell me how the controls are. that is the only thing telling me not to buy this.

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 24th, 2012 at 8:12 am said:

Left stick controls the movements of the poles and ball. So you can block, move the ball up and down, etc. Right stick shoots – you push it in the direction you want to shoot and it shoots (the more you push it, the the stronger the shot, so you can do anything from passes to super-powerful shots).

There are actually two more control settings if you don’t like this one. And of course, there’s always the Move ;-)

+ SSJ3_Bob_Marley on July 24th, 2012 at 8:10 am said:

Are you allowed to score with the goalie? Also, are there custom rules that you can setup?

+ BL_Kamaji on July 24th, 2012 at 11:55 am said:

The game is up! Downloading on the vita now!!!!!!!! (via Sprint hotspot connection -_-)

+ soundandvision77 on July 26th, 2012 at 6:33 am said:

The same thing has happened to me where it looks like I’m scoring lots of goals that don’t count, or funny ones that go in randomly on either net. If it means the other player actually saved it, then that’s ok. I was worried some players had found out ways to exploit the game so hardly any goals get scored on them.

The multiplayer does seem very fast – faster than the single player (but I assume single-player gets faster when you get to the expert levels).

About the Private matches – if you can’t send a cross-platform invite, how could I set up a private match from my Vita with a PS3 player? I want to convince a friend to get the game, but he doesn’t have a Vita. This would be a great game to try out some cross-platform action. Can you tell me how to set up a match like this?

Thanks for replying to so many comments. It’s great to see you supporting the game.

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 26th, 2012 at 7:29 am said:

The multiplayer is actually a bit slower then single player (ball speed, shot power), but when you meet players who just randomly shoot the ball like crazy, it gets fast. That’s like real life.

You can start a public match and wait for your friend to join it. If any other player joins before him, you can kick him and wait for your friend.

No problem with replying to so many comments. The game is out now, so there’s not much to do. What a better way to kill an afternoon ;-) (I am actually kidding, but being as close to our fans as we can is something I believe in).

+ spaceboy21 on July 26th, 2012 at 6:42 am said:

I have had no luck connecting to any online game. I always get the same message similar to noted above “Unable to connect to the remote player” or “game ended by remote player”. I’ve tried with the PS3 and Vita and it always happens either right from the lobby or one time right when I hit X to launch the ball.

Please look into this.

Loving the offline, but hoping online can get better connections.

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 26th, 2012 at 7:31 am said:

This bug usually happens when there is a network failure. It happens time to time, but it being the case 100% times is strange.
    Couldn’t there be any problem with your internet connection?

+ spaceboy21 on July 26th, 2012 at 7:52 am said:

I don’t think there is a problem with my internet as I have NAT2 on all systems and my recent router upgrade fixed my download problems from PSN.

The PS3 probs were on launch day and the Vita was last night with admitably a weak wifi signal, but Resistance works fine from the same location in house so I don’t think that’s it either. Since the other guy mentioned the same issue I still think there could be some problem connecting between the different devices.

I’ll keep trying but if possible please see if there are any other reports of issues.

I agree with the other guy – I appreciate your quick and numerous replies. It says alot for you and your team.

+ zooyork99 on July 26th, 2012 at 7:52 am said:

I have had way too many situations where I score and its not counted. Also, tons of random goals where the ball just disappears in the middle of the table and someone is awarded a point. Online is full of glitches and the replies trying to justify them are a complete joke.

+ spaceboy21 on July 26th, 2012 at 10:39 am said:

I just got an online game in (it was Vita to Vita) and it worked. I can see the lag/latency but it only detracts from the game a little. It seemed like a fair match. I clawed my way back from like 3-7, got it to 9-9, but the bugger got the last goal. Anyways, please do look at cross-platform match connectivity. But at least I can confirm I got Vita to Vita to work.

+ BL_Kamaji on July 26th, 2012 at 4:49 pm said:

What Jakub is saying about the latency is completely true. It’s just strange, to me, that it only happens when it’s at the goal.

My issues with the game are with the online experience as well. It seems that there are hardly ANY games to join and when you do get one the player wants to do 5 balls and use the trick ball only. It completely takes the competiveness away and turns it into a button mash on the circle.

Also, I did try online (vita) on a Sprint 3G hotspot at 1mbps(ish). The game practically functioned the same as it did on the PS3 and Vita using a 20mbps speed. Strange right?

+ PrimeroIncognito on July 26th, 2012 at 11:41 pm said:

Latency doesn’t explain the random, erratic nature of the ball suddenly appearing in the back of the goal from a slow roll down from the top corners of the table.

Whatever it is, it’s making online multi-player unplayable.

The offline mode is great though. I’m hooked. I haven’t played any other game since I got this one.

+ PrimeroIncognito on July 27th, 2012 at 4:19 am said:

I hope you’re still reading these comments Jakub, because I have a MAJOR GLITCH to report.

I completed the World Tour mode, beating all 20 teams, got the silver trophy for beating all teams with “Excellent” rank, then went back through and beat all teams by shutout, getting the gold trophy for that. After that, I unlocked the bonus levels with 15 stars, rather than buy it PlayStation Store.

So, I played a few of the bonus levels, beating the CPU on levels 1, 3, and 4, saving my progress, then logged off to go out. When I reboot the game, I go to the bonus levels, only to see they are re-locked! But my stats for the levels I already beat are still there! (2 stars each on levels 1, 3, and 4) but I can’t play them anymore! I can’t even unlock them again because I only have 5 stars left, and no way to get anymore stars since I got them all already!

I’m stuck, and now the only way to get the levels again would be to spend actual money in the Store to unlock them. Screw that. I earned my way in. Plus there’s no guarantee that they wouldn’t re-lock again anyway. This sucks. I’m not re-starting and going through all that again.

+ PrimeroIncognito on July 27th, 2012 at 4:48 am said:

I just tried re-booting the game… twice. That didn’t fix anything. I re-played through a level in World Tour mode and got a “perfect” rating, hoping that might trigger the unlock again (as sometimes after beating a round with a “perfect” score a message would pop up saying that I played well enough to unlock the bonus levels – even though they were already unlocked – yet another glitch?) but that didn’t help either. The levels I already unlocked and even played are now locked again and I can’t do anything to make them unlock again.

Another glitch I forgot to mention earlier… sometimes when you decide to host a public match, and you’re waiting in the lobby, the option to back out with the circle button doesn’t appear on the screen and it doesn’t function either. So if you’re waiting a long time for someone and you decide to back out, you can’t. You have to quit the game back to the XMB. :|

+ PrimeroIncognito on July 27th, 2012 at 5:17 am said:

So Jakub, you wanna put $1.99 in my PSN wallet so I can unlock the bonus levels again? There’s no other way to unlock them now in the game. I got perfect ranking on all 20 rounds of the World Tour so now there are no stars left to accumulate…

If you don’t believe me, look at my trophies. I got the gold.

+ BL_Kamaji on July 27th, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

What @Primerolncognito is saying, is something I can vouch for. Unlocked the master levels, played on PS3, then my Vita levels were relocked. The back out glitch is true also.

+ PrimeroIncognito on July 27th, 2012 at 5:42 pm said:

It looks like Jakub isn’t coming back here anymore. I sent Grip Games an e-mail though. We’ll see what happens.

I tried a couple more things to “trick” the game into unlocking the bonus levels again and they didn’t work. This game needs a patch. Damn, I really wanted to complete this game 100% before going back to the other games I was working on… these glitches really put a damper on things.

+ CZ4200 on July 28th, 2012 at 12:47 am said:

i’ve been having the same problem as PrimeroIncognito and BL_Kamaji

+ FilooGaroo on July 28th, 2012 at 12:06 pm said:

good idea but too expensive should be 2$

+ GreenLantern93 on July 29th, 2012 at 1:22 pm said:

Please Please Please fix the lag online play!!! I had 8+ goals that came back out, one was in the goal for a good 2-3 count.

Also start PUNISHING the quitters/droppers, I hate getting deep in a 10 goal game just to have the other person drop so I don’t get my XP, until this gets fixed I will only play 5 goal or ball games.

+ PrimeroIncognito on July 29th, 2012 at 10:44 pm said:

The quitters suck too, yes. Not that I’ll ever play this game online ever again, but… One guy to look out for goes by the name of RackCity13. The sissy will disconnect if you’re about to win. If you see him in the lobby, back out… if you can (sometimes the glitch won’t let you).

PAGE 1 2