Tearaway Unfolded

Jul 24

Foosball 2012

Foosball 2012 Drops on PSN Today!

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar Posted by Jakub Mikyska on Jul 24, 2012 // CEO, Grip Games

Jakub from Grip Games here! Today is a great day for our small indie studio — Foosball 2012 is out today on PSN! I’m stopping by the PS.Blog today to answer a few questions about the game.

Foosball 2012 is another entry in the line of not-so-typical-for-a-console-game sports, like darts, bowling, pool, or golf that we have seen recently on the PlayStation Store. If you weren’t sure which platform to get the game on, we think you’ll appreciate that when you buy the game for PS3, you’ll get the PS Vita version for free and the other way around!

A lot of people ask us “Why foosball?” and we keep telling them “Why not?” Other games that wouldn’t seem to be well-suited to a console experience managed to capture the essence of those games, and we hope to do the same with Foosball 2012. It is not just about playing foosball, it’s about playing a quick, skill-based game, that is easy to handle, but difficult to master. A game with a great multiplayer component and entertaining single-player mode, lots of customizations and Leaderboards to keep track of where you and your friends are standing against the global competition.

Foosball 2012 on PSN

If you own both the PS3 and PS Vita, you’ll also appreciate full cross-compatibility between the two platforms. Not only can play online against people on the other platform, but you’ll also have your saves automatically synchronized between your two PlayStation consoles. That way, you can enjoy Foosball 2012 in gorgeous 1080p, 60FPS beauty on your TV, then take it on the road with you on PS Vita and continue from where you left off.

Many of you also asked about the controls. You can either play using the DualShock controller, where the left stick controls the movements of the poles and the right stick shoots the ball (so you can precisely aim and control the power of the shot), or you can use PlayStation Move and play foosball just like the real thing! You can also use touch controls on Vita, if that’s more your speed.

Foosball 2012 on PSNFoosball 2012 on PSN

Both the PS3 and PS Vita versions will come in the form of a free trial that you can upgrade to the full version, so you will be able to try the game before you buy it. Foosball 2012 will be $7.99, or $5.99 if you’re a PlayStation Plus member. Buying the game on PS3 will also let you download it for Vita for free, and the other way around.

For more information, check out our website, along with our Facebook and Twitter pages.

PAGE 1 2

+ PrimeroIncognito on July 29th, 2012 at 10:54 pm said:

By the way, I still haven’t received a response to my e-mail to Grip Games. I doubt they’ll do anything about the glitches, and maybe can’t even afford to because apparently Sony charges developers for releasing updates just as if they’re new games…

If you’ve had your bonus levels locked again after unlocking them, and have no chances left to unlock them, you’ll just have to start all over and play through the whole game in one shot. I guess I’m going to give that a try one of these days… because I damn sure am not spending the $1.99 on unlocking them. Yeah, 2 bucks is nothing, but it’s the principle.

+ PrimeroIncognito on July 30th, 2012 at 8:34 am said:

Ok, probably nobody will read this since this post is on the third page of the blog now, but I finally got an e-mail from Jakub.

He admits that the bonus levels re-locking themselves is definitely a bug. He said they are working on a patch to fix it, but it may take WEEKS to get it done. He says they will announce via their social network channels when the patch is available.

+ Showcante on August 2nd, 2012 at 9:56 am said:

is not working cross play for me.. said you should be online on PSN to be able so sync but i’m and nothing happens, i started to play on vita and when i connect to psn on ps3 nothing happen
should have a button sync or something like on this game

+ luvtoseek on July 24th, 2012 at 12:03 pm said:

@1, Most Informative 1st Post of the Month by NHDrumline17 & Jakub! =)

Best of luck Jakub & Grip Games- I’ll be supporting your game when I get home!

+ EdReedFan20 on July 24th, 2012 at 1:13 pm said:

Just downloaded the game and really like it! I have two suggestions though. 1: When I go to the “Unlocking” menu, some of the numbers are cut-off on my HDTV. Unless I’m missing it, this game could benefit from an option for people to change the size of game screen to make the numbers visible. 2: This is just a personal preference for me, but I would love an option to turn off the yellow/red streak that comes from ball when you shoot it. Overall, though, I’m having a blast and can’t wait to play the Vita version when I get my Vita in a few days!

+ BL_Kamaji on July 24th, 2012 at 3:59 pm said:

I am currently on location 16/20 on the Vita (playing between calls at work) and I LOVE this game. I haven’t tried it yet, but how does the game perform over a 3g (mobile hotspot) connection?

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 24th, 2012 at 4:11 pm said:

That’s great to hear you like it! After you are done with the 20 locations, try unlocking the Master locations! :-)

You won’t be able to play online via 3G. The lag would be simply too big to allow a decent gameplay. You’ll need wifi connection. But trust me, it is for the better.

+ NHDrumline17 on July 24th, 2012 at 6:40 pm said:

I can’t seem to get the trophies to unlock on the ps3. The game is synced across as far as my career progress is, but the trophies are missing.

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 25th, 2012 at 2:21 am said:

The trophies for World Tour progress, that you unlocked on the other device, will unlock after you finish one match in the world tour.
    Skill-based trophies, like scoring a goal using a goalkeeper must be achieved on both PS3 and PS Vita, to make it a bit more challenging ;-)

+ Khaoz76 on July 24th, 2012 at 9:12 pm said:

Before this came out, I couldn’t imagine how virtual foosball could have controls that would make it feel anything like the real game, but you guys really nailed it. I’ve been playing foosball for years, especially during the 2 years where there was a table for our lunch break at the place I worked. I love this game! Great work Grip Games!!

+ PrimeroIncognito on July 25th, 2012 at 1:51 am said:

Now this game is fun! I played the demo all the way up to the last unlocked World Tour round (I think it was Level 6?) and I smoked all the opponents 5-0, and then 10-0 respectively until the final match… where the AI got 2 shots past me… finally the AI showed up and gave some effort, I guess, but I’m glad there’s at least 20 more rounds to go otherwise it would be too easy. But of course, multi-player is where this game will shine anyway. You’ve got my money Grip Games, I’m buying!

+ soundandvision77 on July 25th, 2012 at 5:25 am said:

Hi Jakub, I bought the game last night on my Vita and I really enjoy it! It’s very addictive, but I had to stop playing so I wouldn’t go through all 20 of the World Tour matches in one night. I found the controls a bit confusing at first when trying the tutorials, but after a few minutes I got pretty comfortable with it and turned off the help arrows, which were a little confusing.

I’m glad I purchased the game – you guys did a great job. Looking forward to downloading it on my PS3 to see it on the big screen too. Good stuff!

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 25th, 2012 at 7:07 am said:

I am glad you like it! :-) After you are done with the 20 matches, there are additional 8 unlockable master opponents available.

+ spaceboy21 on July 25th, 2012 at 6:37 am said:

I played this with Move last night and it works extremely well and is lots of fun.

Quick question – when playing 2 player local can we each use 2 Moves or do we have to just each use one? It seems like it would only ask to calibrate 2 Move controllers and not the 3rd and 4th so that’s probably my answer, but just wanted to check.

Looking forward to playing this on Vita too, but I am very impressed with the Move implementation. Nice job!

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 25th, 2012 at 7:08 am said:

Thanks. We spent a lot of time working on the Move controls to make it feel good. You can only use two Move controllers at the same moment.

+ Honome_US on July 25th, 2012 at 1:25 pm said:

Congratulations for the producers of the game, it´s really fun and great to have it on PS3 and Vita simultaneously!

+ depward on July 25th, 2012 at 2:16 pm said:

Really enjoyed the demo; will be unlocking the retail version later today.

You guys did a wonderful job of really making foosball work on a console. Well done!

+ devilmosh on July 25th, 2012 at 2:25 pm said:

Bought it day one – at that Plus price, I couldn’t resist. And I love it! Easy to get used to and control, and hard to put down. Thanks, guys! My wife is happy, too, because she was a fan of the Friends TV show but didn’t want to replace our dining table.

+ iiONyKz-_MaQuIrO on July 25th, 2012 at 8:24 pm said:

How is it cross-play but PS3 can NOT join any private match on a Vita, or other way around!???
Fix that as soon as possible, cuz thats like 3/4 of the job done!
Cuz is a REALLY good game, it just needs that!

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 26th, 2012 at 3:33 am said:

Hey. Is the problem with joining the room or with sending the invite? Because you cannot send a cross-platform invite. PSN does not allow that, unfortunately :-/

+ PrimeroIncognito on July 25th, 2012 at 9:57 pm said:

So… before I unlocked the full game, this game was playing great, but the multi-player is BROKEN, at least for me. And that’s what I was looking most forward too. Every online match I’ve had has been extremely glitchy. I don’t now if anyone else is having the same problems, but MANY times I’ve had the ball go into the goal – DEEP into the goal – and just bounce right out, not registering a goal. I’ve been screwed out of at least 7 or 8 goals this way so far, and on the flipside, there are times when the ball isn’t even close to the goal and it magically goes in somehow. It could be in the top corner of the table rolling slowly downward and then suddenly… it just appears in the back of the net and counts a goal. I hope this can get fixed because it completely ruins the purpose of playing online.

I also had the same problem that the guy above me had. Every time I tried to connect with a Vita player, it would say “Unable to connect to the remote player” or something like that.

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar

+ Jakub Mikyska on July 26th, 2012 at 3:36 am said:

When you see a ball go into the goal and then back, that’s an effect of a latency between you and the other player. You see a goal, but the other player actually managed a last-moment save. When the game synchronizes a few miliseconds later, you see the ball bouncing off the goal.
    Foosball is extremely fast game and even a latency of 30ms to 50ms, which is totally OK for most other games, can have such effects in this game.

We know it does not look great, but it is not cheating or a bug. The other player managed to catch the ball in time.

PAGE 1 2