PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Retro/Grade Blasts Off On PSN August 21st

Matt Gilgenbach's Avatar + Posted by Matt Gilgenbach on Jul 27, 2012 // Co-founder, 24 Caret Games

Hey everyone, good news: We’ve finished our award-winning rhythm/shoot’em up, Retro/Grade! The game will be released on August 21st exclusively on PS3, and will provide hours of mind-bending rhythm-based gameplay as you fight through reverse-timed space battles.

We’ve gotten many requests to make Retro/Grade’s soundtrack available, so I’ll go ahead and confirm that we’ll be selling it on PSN. If you want the game and the soundtrack, there will be a discounted bundle — we’ll have more details on pricing soon.

Retro/Grade for PS3 (PSN)Retro/Grade for PS3 (PSN)

For those who aren’t familiar with Retro/Grade, it’s similar to a classic Shoot ‘Em Up… in reverse! At the beginning of the game you stop a massive alien invasion, but all the destruction damages the space/time continuum, causing the flow of time itself to reverse. What would have been the final boss is actually the beginning of your backwards journey. You must help Rick Rocket restore the continuity of space/time, before the temporal anomaly rips the universe a new time-hole!

Retro/Grade for PS3 (PSN)Retro/Grade for PS3 (PSN)

Since time is reversed, you must undo your actions to protect the health of the space/time continuum by unfiring your shots, which are timed to the beat of the game’s music. In addition, you must dodge enemy projectiles returning to the guns that fired them. You can unfight the battle with either a DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller or a PlayStation 3 guitar controller.

To learn more about the game, click here and visit the official site. Check back soon — we’ll have much more to discuss, including Retro/Grade’s support for guitar controllers!

+ Joe-TFW on July 27th, 2012 at 8:04 am said:

The game looks pretty stunning. Love the unique approach to a shmup. If the price is right, consider it sold!

+ Vinland_Krauser on July 27th, 2012 at 8:16 am said:

I hope the ending shows something better than aliens running amok.

+ Matt Gilgenbach on July 27th, 2012 at 8:53 am said:

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the ending. :-D

+ Kane22_ on July 27th, 2012 at 8:20 am said:

So we waited this long for you guys to only give out a release date? but no price are you serious. by now you should have a price point. seriously what are you guys waiting on now.

+ Matt Gilgenbach on July 27th, 2012 at 8:52 am said:

I sincerely apologize we haven’t given out pricing information. This may sound a bit silly, but it hasn’t been quite finalized yet even this close to release. I just got some e-mails this morning about it, so we will be announcing it very soon. Thank you for your patience.

+ Beast780 on July 27th, 2012 at 8:33 am said:

@3 rule of thumb is always plan on $15 or $12 for PS+. Anything lower is always a bonus.

+ IzoGray on July 27th, 2012 at 8:34 am said:

Mind=Blown

+ Jakintosh on July 27th, 2012 at 8:50 am said:

FINALLY! I feel like it’s been years since I first saw this… 2009 maybe? I’m so pumped, I’m totally getting this :D

+ Matt Gilgenbach on July 27th, 2012 at 8:54 am said:

We were indeed featured in the 2009 IGF. We’ve put a ton of work into the game, and it’s much bigger and better than we had originally imagined. I think you’ll be pleased with the results! Thank you for following the game for so long.

+ Mattsta001 on July 27th, 2012 at 9:08 am said:

Awesome news. Don’t forget to put out a demo!

+ Matt Gilgenbach on July 27th, 2012 at 9:15 am said:

We will definitely make a demo available. Retro/Grade is a hard game to wrap your head around until you’ve played it.

+ Sevyne on July 27th, 2012 at 9:27 am said:

What a pleasant surprise seeing this game again. I had completely forgotten about it. To see it just pop up out of nowhere with a release date is pretty awesome. I remember being really excited over this one so I’ll be picking it up.

+ Matt Gilgenbach on July 27th, 2012 at 10:15 am said:

I’m happy to hear you are excited. We’ve been so focused on making the game for a while, we haven’t been good about updating people about the progress of development. We finally finished and have a release date, so you should be able to get your hands on the game soon! :-D

+ Astro411 on July 27th, 2012 at 10:11 am said:

This seems like a great game, can’t wait to try it. It plays like a level from Kaleidoscope which i wasn’t really good at ;p

I hope you guys would consider a Vita version because that would be a perfect fit.

+ ModernYorkster on July 27th, 2012 at 10:39 am said:

Matt It’s about TIME! I’ve been waiting for this to release since it was announced on the PSB! I hope the community is excited about it’s release and sell’s well! Gotta love the indie scene. Anyway enough with the smoke blowing, my questions deals with the games trophy’s. Is this trophy list going to be extremely difficult, or something we can acheive after some practice?

Thanks
-ModernYorkster

+ Matt Gilgenbach on July 27th, 2012 at 10:51 am said:

We have a number of trophies ranging from pretty easy to quite challenging. I think it’s achievable after practice though. Depending on how good you are at rhythm games, it might require quite a bit of practice though. I hope you enjoy the finished product!

+ Joe-TFW on July 27th, 2012 at 11:15 am said:

Since the soundtrack will be offered on PSN, will there be a bundle of the game and soundtrack together?

+ Matt Gilgenbach on July 27th, 2012 at 11:16 am said:

Yes, we are offering a bundle of the soundtrack plus the game.

+ mdnytecartunr on July 27th, 2012 at 11:33 am said:

I’ve seen on other sites that this is to kick off the “Playstation Plus Presents” program, and this game will be free for the first eight weeks for Plus members. Is this still the case?

+ Matt Gilgenbach on July 27th, 2012 at 1:25 pm said:

PlayStation Plus Presents is a Europe only program, so in the US, the game will not be free to Plus members. Sorry!

+ Freducken on July 27th, 2012 at 11:34 am said:

Looks very cool. A good excuse to dust off the old guitar. Quick question: are you using the strummer to strum or change the position of the vehicle while using the color buttons to strum? I know it will have to be a different mechanic than RockBand/Guitar Hero, but I am curious how you handled it.

Thanks

+ Matt Gilgenbach on July 27th, 2012 at 1:27 pm said:

When you are using the guitar controller, the fret buttons change the position of the ship, and strumming “un-fires” you shots. When you use the DualShock, up and down move your ship up and down and X unfires. I hope that helps!

+ shades909 on July 27th, 2012 at 12:11 pm said:

Is there harder difficulty then in the video ?
It look like a nice game i would like to play, but in the video it look to easy and unleast there’s harder difficulty i won’t buy this game.

+ Matt Gilgenbach on July 27th, 2012 at 1:26 pm said:

Yes, there is a harder difficulty, and if that isn’t hard enough, we have 130 challenge levels, which have even more challenging twists on the regular gameplay levels, so I am quite sure you’ll be able able to find something that challenges you.

+ Trieloth on July 27th, 2012 at 1:32 pm said:

Wow this looks AWESOME! Iam a big old school shooter fan and this looks like tons of fun. I will be buying this no matter what the price is. Thanks!

+ Matt Gilgenbach on July 27th, 2012 at 1:51 pm said:

I’m so glad to hear it! :-D

+ shades909 on July 27th, 2012 at 2:01 pm said:

@Matt Gilgenbach

That’s good then, definitely a game i will buy.

+ HongoXIII on July 27th, 2012 at 2:54 pm said:

I remember when this was announced years ago.

I assumed it was MIA, but I’m so very happy to see that was never the case.

Definitely can’t wait to (finally) try it.

+ Matt Gilgenbach on July 27th, 2012 at 3:24 pm said:

We’ve been working very hard on the game for a very long time. I think you’ll be quite pleased with the results!

+ poodude on July 27th, 2012 at 3:16 pm said:

This looks great! Is there any offline multiplayer by chance? Such as a versus mode.

+ Matt Gilgenbach on July 27th, 2012 at 3:24 pm said:

We don’t have any multiplayer modes, but we did design the game to have competitive scoring and have integrated the leaderboards as part of the game experience, so you can compete with your friends online. We don’t have any offline multiplayer functionality though.

+ PapaPins on July 27th, 2012 at 3:37 pm said:

Look forward to seeing the final product.
I played it at PAX last year and was one of the top 10 scores.
The game was awesome then, so I can only imagine what a year of improvements and fine tuning have done.

+ poodude on July 27th, 2012 at 4:49 pm said:

@Matt

Cool; thanks for the reply. Still looking forward to playing it.

+ PanTheMan16 on July 27th, 2012 at 5:53 pm said:

I was shocked when the video said this can be played “WITH A GUITAR” then I read the post and saw “guitar controller ” which is not a guitar. Why do you have to tease us, Matt?! Not cool! :P

+ Matt Gilgenbach on July 28th, 2012 at 9:42 am said:

Sorry! We didn’t mean to mislead you. I didn’t think about that!

+ aloafrica on July 27th, 2012 at 7:13 pm said:

It’s games like this that make me proud to own a PS3. I appreciate that this game is finally coming out, as the wait since 2009 has been long. I can assume there will be some form of a discount for PS Plus members? Either way, I will be purchasing this game. :) Job well done.

+ Matt Gilgenbach on July 28th, 2012 at 9:44 am said:

We haven’t announced our pricing yet, but if you are in Europe, it’s one of the free games given to PlayStation Plus subscribers!

+ semajmarc87 on July 27th, 2012 at 7:38 pm said:

Will the Official PlayStation App for iOS and Android ever come to North America? It’s currently only available in Europe.

+ ABNVOX on July 27th, 2012 at 8:18 pm said:

Oh this is def my kinda game! Cant wait for the demo!

+ Cyraxis619 on July 27th, 2012 at 8:39 pm said:

This game look great but will it be free for Playstation plus subscribers?

+ Matt Gilgenbach on July 28th, 2012 at 9:43 am said:

It will be free for PlayStation Plus subscribers in Europe as part of the PlayStation Plus Presents program. That program doesn’t exist in the US, so unfortunately, we can’t offer anything similar.

+ Deejmodin on July 27th, 2012 at 8:43 pm said:

Cool music, cool visuals, interesting gameplay – looks like my kind of game!

+ AizawaYuuichi on July 27th, 2012 at 11:57 pm said:

One word: WOW. O_O

I wasn’t sure what to think of this just from reading the blog and the comments, but after watching the video… I am super impressed. I’d never heard of this before, but it’s on my radar now, and I’ll most likely be picking this up. Looks like it’ll be a ton of fun to play with my GH:WoR battle axe guitar. :)

+ Garigandeljey on July 28th, 2012 at 1:00 am said:

This game looks and sounds delicious.

+ Computerfreakz99 on July 28th, 2012 at 11:37 am said:

Hi Matt. So will there be no PS Vita version then? Thanks for your time

+ FilooGaroo on July 28th, 2012 at 12:01 pm said:

It’s should really be a price of 1$…. game like IOS…………………

+ Venom1976 on July 28th, 2012 at 12:25 pm said:

1$ ?? Seriously??

+ nunu70000 on July 28th, 2012 at 6:18 pm said:

IS INFAMOUS 3 comeing out

+ ATFrez on July 29th, 2012 at 4:42 am said:

@32 Why are you asking that here? These guys have nothing to do with inFamous!

+ edddyy on July 29th, 2012 at 11:30 am said:

Ok, I know this is irrelevent but I desperatly want an answer. It is very unfair that the US store had Battle Fantasia for free and EU didnt. Im a HUGE fighting fan and love to platinum fighting games. But its such a shame that I have the game but there are no trophies so im asking is Battle Fantasia ever going to be free for PSplus members in EU? Ive been waiting so long for thsi game to come with trophies but nothing still.

+ MushThePainter on July 29th, 2012 at 11:40 am said:

i wish this was part of PSN PLAY instead of expendables 2..

+ KainDrake on July 30th, 2012 at 5:15 pm said:

Hell yeah! Finally! It’s about time. :D I can’t wait.

+ John-Shooter on July 31st, 2012 at 9:25 am said:

ehh no thanks.. i’ll stick w/ the soldner-x games