PS4-Infamous

Get The Walking Dead Episodes 1 and 2 Free With PlayStation Plus

Morgan Haro's Avatar + Posted by Morgan Haro on Jul 30, 2012 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

On August 7th, PlayStation Plus members will get Telltale Games’ The Walking Dead Episodes 1& 2 added to their Instant Game Collection. That’s not all – in the next few weeks PlayStation Plus members will also receive significant discounts on the latest and best PSN games a part of PSN PLAY event, beginning tomorrow, July 31st.

July 31st PlayStation Plus Update

The Expendables 2 Video game

20% off for PlayStation Plus Members (PSN Price: $14.99, PS+ Price: $11.99)
The 2012 PSN PLAY event kicks off with a first week discount on one of the most intense co-op shooters on PSN. Grab a friend (or three) and join four of the Expendables (Barney, Gunner, Caesar and Yin Yang) in a mission to rescue akidnapped billionaire. Featuring vehicular combat, four-player co-op story and challenge modes, and a wealth stages set in exotic locales, The Expendables 2 Videogame is a fantastic experience for gamers that dig hardcore shoot em up action.

Also, don’t forget that starting this week PlayStation Plus members can pre-order SoundShapes from the PlayStation Store and get 20% off boththe PS3 and PS Vita versions of the game (of which come bundled together for one price) as well as an exclusive PS3 theme. Note: Pre-orders for SoundShapes will only take place on the PS3 store as the gift with purchase theme is only useable for PS3 systems. Vita only owners don’t worry as you can still snag the 20% Plus discount on the store the 1st week the releases.

August 7th PlayStation Plus Update

PS Plus update 7-30-2012

The Walking Dead Episode 1: A New Day

Free for PlayStation Plus Members (PSN Price: $4.99)
The first episode from Telltale Games’ universally-acclaimed series The Walking Dead by will be available to all PlayStation Plus members as part of the Instant Game Collection! Follow a set of unique characters as they fight for survival amongst the ever-growing “walker” population, and encounter threats from both undead and human enemies.

PS Plus update 7-30-2012

The Walking Dead Episode 2: Starved for Help

Free for PlayStation Plus Members (PSN Price: $4.99)
We’re also delivering PlayStation Plus members the second episode in The Walking Dead series as part of the Instant Game Collection! Following the decisions you made in A New Day, you’ll be confronted with even more gut-wrenching scenarios and thrilling action sequences with your fellow survivors. Like Episode 1, Starved for Help was adored by critics for its riveting gameplay and dramatic storyline, where players need to make harrowing decisions on the fly.

SoundShapes

20% off for PlayStation Plus Members (PSN Price: $14.99, PS+ Price: $11.99)
This week marks the release of the highly-anticipated PSN exclusive SoundShapes. Marrying brilliant side-scrolling 2D gameplay with unique musical compositions, you’ll be hooked by the incredible landscapes you’ll see and hear in SoundShapes. Available for both PS3 and PS Vita systems together for one special price, PlayStation Plus members will be getting the absolute best deal with a 20% discount. If you already had your pre-order locked in, you’re all set! Make sure to check out the trailer above, which introduces musicians Beck and Pyramid Attack into the lineup of amazing levels in SoundShapes.

With the August 7th update, you’ll also be able to pre-order the next PSN PLAY game Papo & Yo, which will also have a 20% discount for all PlayStation Plus members. Everyone that pre-orders the game will get an exclusive Papo & Yo theme, so don’t sleep on it!

We’ll be coming at you with another update on August 13th, with more additions to the Instant Game Collection and additional awesome sauce. Until then, watch the PS.Blog for our weekly PlayStation Store Updates to see what additional content is added for PlayStation Plus members. Please leave us your feedback in the comments, and help us by rating the Instant Game Collection lineup on a scale from 1 – 10. If there was one thing you could change about PlayStation Plus, what would it be?

PS Plus update 7-30-2012

PAGE 1 2 3 4 8

+ Chase167 on July 30th, 2012 at 11:02 am said:

good things comes to the 1′s who waits
lol

+ TERMINATOR543 on July 30th, 2012 at 11:02 am said:

Another feature that I would like to have added to PS+ is free cross-play games for PS Vita/PS3. Okay, let me clarify this a bit. There are games for both PS3 and Vita that if you buy one version you get the other for free. DLC included. Pinball Arcade is a good example. I bought the Vita version and got the PS3 version for free, same for when I bought the DLC. Then there are games like PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, where I would have to buy both versions in order to use the cross-play features, most importantly cross-save, functionality. So what if Plus members could have access to a free version after buying one version. So, say we could by the PS3 version of Sly, and get the Vita version for free, or it could be the other way around. Even if there are 2 versions of the same game but they do not support cross-platform functionality, that could work too. But I am talking primarily about games that do support cross-platform functionality.

I do not expect you guys to add all these features, but please, at least consider some of them.

+ CapnCGN on July 30th, 2012 at 11:07 am said:

Wow, awesome! :)

Can you tell whether we will get it in Germany as well? :)

+ Squiggle55 on July 30th, 2012 at 11:07 am said:

@Morgan Thanks for the great update. You can take this for what it’s worth, but I have definitely moved away from buying games when they first come out, or even really buying games full price at all, not only because of the fear of a game becoming free shortly after I buy it, but also because Plus content is more than enough to keep me busy. So I am very happy, but I’m not sure if this is what Sony wants. I realize it may be very hard to implement, but a safeguard really sounds like a great idea, such as giving members 2 games to choose from, or giving members a discount to use on something else if they already own the game. I honestly think that would improve business and ease peoples worries.

+ tdlypsdoff on July 30th, 2012 at 11:08 am said:

Morgan, will we ever see some of the free games that our Euro counterparts get? I noticed a few weeks ago they got Deus Ex HR. That would be a great game to add to the collection!

+ kivi95 on July 30th, 2012 at 11:08 am said:

47# EASILY,I mean first their are lvls made by the original team but then their will be alot of community lvls that will be just as great.

+ Celedrin on July 30th, 2012 at 11:08 am said:

PS+ is great, but i’m little disappointed. I was really expecting to get Deus Ex or Motorstorm like EU members. Maybe in the months to come.

+ Claymorecuts on July 30th, 2012 at 11:09 am said:

I would rate + at an 8 out of 10. Overall a good selection of titles and more lately have been games I like. It’d be nice to see more of course. Maybe add some PSP games too. Not to replace the ps3 games, just in addition to them.

+ Freducken on July 30th, 2012 at 11:09 am said:

Wow. PS Plus does not disappoint. I am very excited for the Walking Dead coming to the subscription. Can you answer if, since WD is replacing Gotham City Impostors, will the remaining 3 Episodes also be included in PS Plus as they roll out, or will it just be that we get 2/5′s of the game?

Thanks!

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 30th, 2012 at 11:35 am said:

It’s certainly not a guarantee that the rest of the WD episodes will be coming to Plus. We review what the best content is that we can secure from month to month. So I wouldn’t assume that the rest of WD is coming to Plus.

+ Randinator-_001 on July 30th, 2012 at 11:09 am said:

lame free games collection of august -.-, looks like i’ll have to continue enjoying the games from june cuz the offer was good enough to make me to subscribe. i would score this lineup 3/10.

+ enjionPS on July 30th, 2012 at 11:09 am said:

Really regret buying the Walking Dead season pass, I love the game…. but man, the delays, and now just giving the episodes away for free.

Shame none of the “Play” games interest me in the slightest, but August is a good month for new releases, so I’ll be busy either way.

+ GRIDLOC on July 30th, 2012 at 11:12 am said:

As being a plus member for 18 months, I have to say I got my moneys worth. I own most of these free to play games, but you won’t hear me crying ( like some of the posts above me do) . Plus members didn’t used to get free games. We just received discounts on some new releases. Grow up and do me a favor and let your 3 month plus membership expire. I feel for you Morgan and respect your way of dealing with these cry babies.

+ SLEEPLESS_KNIGHT on July 30th, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

Crap, what if I just recently bought the season pass for the Walking Dead for $20?

I was already a PS+ member when I purchased this. We should get some sort of credit in cases like this as we don’t know ahead of time what will be on sale or even free in the near future.

It’d be different if I wasn’t a PS+ subscriber when I bought it, then I signed up today to try and get reimbursed, so I don’t think I’m being unreasonable here.

+ Orufonz0 on July 30th, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

Look, I love, ps+…. but.. OHHHH COME ON!!!!.. I got the walking dead season pass, day one…and Honestly… Im getting a bit frustated, last month, You put gotham city impostors free.. and guess what?.. I got that game on day one…do you see the pattern?… sorry but this is really annoyng… I love ps+, but two months in a row I get trolled?….well.. at least you dond give free add-on anymore, soo thats the only safe bet…

+ JamesBlonde777 on July 30th, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

@61, no kidding…I bought the pass too. Wish I would have waiting until all episodes were out before buying it. Guess that’s what I’ll be doing from now on!

+ milennos on July 30th, 2012 at 11:16 am said:

Thx, But no thank my subscription will finish soon and I don’t think I will renew psn+.
EU PSN PLUS seem far better and steam promo is damn good vs psn+ not really in sale game.

I already have a great majority of the game you put for free so no save money there. By the way, no more free dynamic theme? I was expected to see Deus Ex coming free this month…

+ DazeOfWar on July 30th, 2012 at 11:19 am said:

@62 GRIDLOC: What are you talking about we never use to get free games? We have been getting free games since Plus started. That’s the reason why everybody signed up. I’ve been a Plus member since D1 so I do know this is true.

+ Emerald_Swords on July 30th, 2012 at 11:21 am said:

Sweet update! Thanks a ton

+ spideyal on July 30th, 2012 at 11:23 am said:

Wow, two episodes of the Walking Dead? I’ll be all over that. Same goes for Sound Shapes. I’m looking forward to the next update.

+ DuoMaxwell007 on July 30th, 2012 at 11:26 am said:

Thank god WD counts as 1 of the 3 games and not two otherwise Id be annoyed. Because so far all those good games you guys offered in June seems like a con to get ppl to shell out 50 bucks for the new PS+… which worked.. on me at least, then once youve got us the next two months we start getting crap again. I think PS+ should have at least ONE retail game every month while the other 2 be any random game, and Id be happy, I mean it would be wonderful to get red dead redemption (after all its so old anyone who REALLY wanted it bought it by now so its not like rockstar would be losing potential sales), or Motorstorm Apocalypse or Darksiders (EU got those so why cant we?), just seeing ONE of those three games (or something else of equal caliber) would show me Sony cares, getting all three eventually would be a nice bonus.

You ARE however doing a wonderful job with discounts, so for every PSN game i planned to buy this year was either free (virtua fighter 5) or had a ps+ discount (rainbow moon, malicious, and counter strike global offensive), keep the trend going for Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD, Double Dragon Neon and 2013′s Shadow of A Soul Chapter 1 PSN debut and Ill be a happy customer

+ Lone-Sensei on July 30th, 2012 at 11:26 am said:

So full update tomorrow?

+ ItaChu on July 30th, 2012 at 11:27 am said:

wow what a terrible month for ps plus members …. you add something mostly EVERYONE HAS already to the free games these should have been just discounted and not put as free games …. i wish i knew who picked those two games so i could insult him seriously lol and if it was you morgan im sorry but seriously ps plus is going downward cuz the ps4 is coming soon … i have no other idea as to why this is happening to plus …. its a big shame really, but to whoever doesnt have these (who wouldnt its the walking dead sheesh) your in for a treat and good for you :)

+ Xer0Signal on July 30th, 2012 at 11:27 am said:

Hey Morgan, just some feedback regarding the IGC, and, I guess PS+ in general.

I’m starting to wonder if it’s worth buying stuff day 1, from here on. Obviously, not every game is going to end up a part of PS+, so, I know for us, it’s a bit of a gamble. But, I worry that others like myself are going to be cautious, in the hopes that it’ll end up free. Its happened a couple times now (the Just Cause and Infamouse ultimate editions before IGC, and now Walking Dead) where there’s a good deal on the games already, enticing some to buy, only to find later, it’s free if they were just a little more patient.

I understand you guys have publishing deals that prevent you from revealing to us the details of when something gets discounted. And, its only been 2 months, so, I imagine you guys are trying to figure out a way to better communicate what to expect, but, I’d just hope you guys are careful about this kind of thing in the future, because there’s a chance some of us will start holding back on purchases, potentially leaving us without the games, and you guys without the business.

+ Xer0Signal on July 30th, 2012 at 11:28 am said:

None of this is meant to sound ungrateful, btw. PS+ is still a pretty staggeringly good proposition, and, for the few who haven’t yet jumped into TWD, that’s a pretty sweet deal. I’m just starting to question when (or, if, at all) to buy something, and, that’s kind of a bummer, ya know?

That said, bring on Sound Shapes and Papo & Yo. Can’t wait for those two!

(Sorry for two posts, it was too long for 1!)

+ DZORMAGEN on July 30th, 2012 at 11:31 am said:

Thank you for the FREE GAMES!! But the million dollar question is still not answered!!!

Although I was lucky enough to get a Beta Key e-mailed to me, people want to know what was the promised Beta that got pushed back to Aug. is?

Still no mention of PlayStation All-Star Battle Royale Beta. If you go to the PS Forums, you will see people will buy PS Plus just to get into the Beta. Why haven’t you guys not announced the Beta yet?

+ crazy_kracker1 on July 30th, 2012 at 11:31 am said:

Just in time for when my cable will be getting shut off been wanting to watch those well worth the wait thanks.

+ ItaChu on July 30th, 2012 at 11:32 am said:

see the feed back lol everybody has these already i know thats why they were picked so basically nothing was added to ps plus this monthcompared to the old system this is bs really i liked the old system more and i feel bad for whoever buys a year of ps plus thank god mine ends in september i dont think ill renew it if this goes on

+ viceforce on July 30th, 2012 at 11:32 am said:

Not a bad update but I would like to see we get free Darksiders like the EU store has for the hype of Darksiders 2.

+ GRIDLOC on July 30th, 2012 at 11:34 am said:

@dazeof war.. I forgot plus got little big planet free w/1 year sub. But I can’t think of any other free games before this new push for ps plus…

+ ItaChu on July 30th, 2012 at 11:34 am said:

oh wait more games coming on august 13 LLLOOOOLLLL now we get partial updates geezus christ almighty hahaha my god im gonna go nuts with sony first vita copy paste remote play from psp now this oh no no no no NO! lol

+ Deekman on July 30th, 2012 at 11:37 am said:

Bought Walking Dead Season 1 for my PC but I can totally see the value in these for PS+ members. Those games are amazing and restore my faith in adventure titles. Hopefully we see some PSP/PS1 discounts and maybe the PS1 firmware for Vita soon?

+ DarqueDragon on July 30th, 2012 at 11:40 am said:

Probably won’t get a reply from Morgan, but is there any way for plus members who bought the season pass to get that $5 back?

By giving away episodes 1 and 2 for free, anyone who bought the season pass is not paying $20 for 2 episodes, which cost $5 each separately, so we are paying $5 more than we should. This is unfair to those who bought the season pass for this game.
Thing like this make me wary about buying games on PSN, for fear they will be on sale, or even free, a month or two later. The people who spend the money get screwed in the end.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the PS+ program, and the Instant Game Collection is terrific, but there needs to be something for us members who buy things that quickly end up free and we lose money. Most of the main department store do price adjustments for those who bought something that goes on sale within 30 days, so why can’t Sony?

+ Electromagnus on July 30th, 2012 at 11:43 am said:

I would rate this PsPlus Update 8/10

I have never played the walking dead before so I’m really exited for that, it also seems really similar to heavy rain, so you have a lot of genres available now so it’s great.

Also will we be seeing any PsPlus games from Europe’s instant game collection?

And will there be any free avatars or themes next week?

+ KwietStorm on July 30th, 2012 at 11:46 am said:

I hope the coming update is bigger than this one..

And I still need a appear invisible status and a categorized download history, almost desperately at this point. PS3 will be on its way out soon, but some basic features are still missing, even for PS Plus.

+ DuoMaxwell007 on July 30th, 2012 at 11:48 am said:

Id wonder if Dark Souls DLC might get a PS+ discount too but Ive never heard of DLC having PLUS discounts so I wont hold my breath on that one, but yeah you guys really need to work on your freebies.

+ Tjoeb123 on July 30th, 2012 at 11:48 am said:

You know, for some reason, I was dreaming (not literally lol) that Record of Agarest War 2 would be coming to Plus….I want that game so bad, especially after playing its FGT…

Yet, I don’t have $50.

+ TwinDad on July 30th, 2012 at 11:48 am said:

You changed one of the things I would have changed already. You announced the date of the next update.

Interesting choice to take the batman game off when it was just added, but leaving on a older game instead.

+ TriPLE-6-MaFiA on July 30th, 2012 at 11:50 am said:

How many more of the Free Instant Game Collections games should we be expecting this month? Will each of the games that are available to us now be replaced this month with new ones? Please reply.

+ edddyy on July 30th, 2012 at 11:51 am said:

Morgan, im trying to get a response from you but I probably still wont.

I want a straight answer for this. When will EU PS+ get Battle Fantasia free. This is very unfair that we havnt been offered it yet. I am a huge fighting game fan but I have been waited very long but still we havnt even been offered this gme ONCE. So I ask, when will we ever get Battle Fantasia free? Will we ever get it free?

I really want an answer to this because I would rather prefer if I got an answer from you rather than just waiting every month for this.

+ Hundredhandslap on July 30th, 2012 at 11:54 am said:

No Darksiders or Motorstorm Apocalypse for me, I’ve already platinum’d both of those. Deus Ex Human Revolution work for me. Please don’t give away Rainbow Moon, I just bought that!

I used to have a severe case of day 1 buys until I started getting screwed all over the place! The best thing to do for PS+ subcribers is show some restraint and wait at least a month or two til we get these 2 monthly updates. After that, if you buy something they offer for free months or even years down the road, what can you do? Chalk it up to bad luck! I still haven’t bought Dyad, InFamous: Festival of Blood or The Walking Dead (just to name a few) thinking they’ll be offered for free somewhere down the line.

Guessing what to buy and what not to buy is making PS+ a meta-game unto itself. More heads up would be greatly appreciated!

+ YungShep on July 30th, 2012 at 11:56 am said:

So i have a friend that bragged so much about the walking dead..almost got me to buy it, lucky for me..im a ps+ member. it feels good to participate in the instant game collection when you dont have it already :)

ps+ the gift that keeps giving :)

if u dont have ps+ seriously, what are you waiting on?

+ Darth-Krayt on July 30th, 2012 at 11:57 am said:

VERY NICE!!

I’m a HUGE fan of The Walking Dead. And I also feel that Heavy Rain is one of the best video games of all time. So this series of The Walking Dead games from Telltale is a fanboy dream come true. Luckily for me, I’m such a Walking Dead fan that I couldn’t bear to play this series of games one episode at a time and wait who knows how long for the next episode, and go through that for all 5 episodes. I have to go through that enough with the comic book and the TV show. I refuse to go through it with a video game…..at least not a Walking Dead game.

So instead, while I fully intended to buy TellTale’s The Walking Dead, I put off buying the whole season until either all 5 episodes were released, or there was a discount on the whole season through Plus. While I’m probably still not going to play the series until I have all 5 episodes, this is basically the Plus discount I was waiting for. Now I’m going to get all 5 episodes for $15 buying 3, 4 and 5 seperately, instead of paying $20 for the whole season.

Basically, I look at this as more of a discount on a whole game than 2 free games. But since it’s a game I really want and intended on buying anyway, I appreciate the discount. Thanks.

+ SGTSTEELFACE on July 30th, 2012 at 11:59 am said:

This is Hilarious I love how all the US are moaning about Europe getting better stuff while Us europeans have a community of people complaning the Us get more games or better stuff I guess sony you cant win this looks like a strong update for the US now the wait for the EU update.

+ triedallthem on July 30th, 2012 at 12:00 pm said:

I like that we’re getting The Walking Dead, because I was thinking about trying but wasn’t sure how much I would like it. Also, is there any chance of getting 1 or even 2 PS2 Classics for FREE with Plus? Any comments, Morgan Haro?

+ cusetown313 on July 30th, 2012 at 12:00 pm said:

Morgan ? Can We Get 1 Full Game For August, Killzone 3 Or God Of War 3 and then you can 2 psn games of your choice , please it’s my birthday month !

+ saab01 on July 30th, 2012 at 12:02 pm said:

I think it would of been a better idea to give us all 5 episodes at once. I am pretty sure now we will get these 2 episodes free through plus than the others we will have to purchase which is disappointing.

+ cusetown313 on July 30th, 2012 at 12:04 pm said:

i need new playstation plus friends add cusetown313 i play cod and 2k !

+ JamesBlonde777 on July 30th, 2012 at 12:04 pm said:

I would rate the lineup when it first came out as an 8, and the current line up as a 6. The games that got me excited to become a member have been played and beaten. If I could change one thing, it would be to get bigger games in the rotation. Feels like we are just swapping out PSN games. I wonder if LBP and InFAMOUS 2 will still be in the collection come Christmas…

+ robdawg1001 on July 30th, 2012 at 12:05 pm said:

yeah thats awesome to bad i already bought the season pass! -_-

+ detictiveconan on July 30th, 2012 at 12:06 pm said:

I’m sure this is a great update for people interested the the Walking Dead games but I am not so it’s meh for me.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 8