PS4-The Order

Assassins Unite on PlayStation: The Official Magazine’s September Cover

Roger Burchill's Avatar + Posted by Roger Burchill on Jul 31, 2012 // Editor in Chief, PlayStation: The Official Magazine

PS3’s Connor and PS Vita’s Aveline make their mark on PTOM’s September cover as we delve into Assassin Creed III, the revolutionary new chapter(s) in Ubisoft’s blockbuster franchise. Executive editor Mikel Reparaz travelled to Ubisoft Montreal for a deep look into the gameplay of both the home console and portable games with exclusive insight from the developers. And can we just say we’re lovin’ the Revolutionary War setting for the games?

PTOM September Cover

If sequels aren’t your thing, Quantic Dream’s Beyond: Two Souls and Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us lead off our look at 14 new PlayStation IP’s that promise to inject fresh ideas into gaming’s veins. We also sit down to chat with SCE Worldwide president Shuhei Yoshida for an update on Sony’s ace stable of first-part dev teams and all things PlayStation.

On the new games front, we’ve got our impressions on the gorgeous and enticingly mature-themed Star Wars 1313. We also go hands-on with sci-fi horrorfest Dead Space 3, stealth shooter Splinter Cell: Blacklist, and the war-iffic Medal of Honor: Warfighter. What was the unexpected surprise of this month’s previews? Metro: Last Light. We’re certainly going to keep our eyes on this atmospheric post-apocalyptic shooter.

The slow summer release season means the reviews section is a bit smallish this month, but some quality games lie within. Check out our in-depth analysis of the surprisingly evocative Spec Ops: The Line, and get other final verdicts on games like the mind-bending Quantum Conundrum, The Amazing Spider-Man, and LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (which, ahem, I’ve Platinumed).

Dive into all the gaming goodness in the September issue of PTOM, hitting newsstands on Tuesday, July 31st. To become a PTOM subscriber, just head here and sign up.

+ magicx11 on July 31st, 2012 at 6:11 am said:

nice cover, anyone know if AC3 PS VITA bundle comes with a memory card.

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on July 31st, 2012 at 10:47 am said:

Not absolutely sure about this, but I believe it comes with a 4GB memory card.

+ icurafuse on July 31st, 2012 at 6:20 am said:

Is there any details on the Vita version of Need for Speed in this issue? Thanks.

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on July 31st, 2012 at 10:49 am said:

Sorry nothing on NFS Vita in this issue. A lot of game companies seem to be lagging in getting info out about their Vita games. Hopefully, that will start to change.

+ fathead170 on July 31st, 2012 at 6:26 am said:

Any news on a new pixel junk monsters games or ps2 star wars battle front news or any new games mushroom wars 2 or any Ludia full games

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on July 31st, 2012 at 10:50 am said:

Hmm… No, no, no, and no. Sorry.

+ supermoc10 on July 31st, 2012 at 6:28 am said:

It would be awesome if Connor was in the PS3 version on PSASBR and Aveline was in the Vita version. Then, if you bought both versions, you’d unlock them in both version (Connor would also be on Vita and vice-versa). Anyway, great cover.

Vittoria Agli Assassini.

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on July 31st, 2012 at 10:50 am said:

Now that is a good idea. Are you listening Sony?

+ RdgMenezes on July 31st, 2012 at 6:39 am said:

Vita FTW =)

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on July 31st, 2012 at 10:52 am said:

Except when you misplace your power cord and fall behind on your Vita gaming. :( I can’t believe that I did that already!

+ MaestroX on July 31st, 2012 at 6:39 am said:

badass cover

+ angibri2000 on July 31st, 2012 at 7:04 am said:

The link to subscribe to PTOM takes me to a Pixeljunk podcast and I don’t see no link to subscribe, can you please post a direct link please?

+ xFuzylilManPeach on July 31st, 2012 at 7:17 am said:

@#4

I have good feeling both of their paths will cross at some point! At least, my fingers are crossed lol

+ xFuzylilManPeach on July 31st, 2012 at 7:19 am said:

and @5, i couldnt agree more!!! Ive only had mine for about two weeks and it hasnt come out of my hands!!

LOVE my Vita!!!

+ Wakefulness on July 31st, 2012 at 7:38 am said:

For ‘mericuh! YEEEEEHAW!!!

(^_^)

+ Psyco_Jeisus on July 31st, 2012 at 8:08 am said:

And what about the “Assassin Creed: Revolução Farroupilha”?! It will be a huge story involving one of the most incredible histories in the Brazil culture!

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on July 31st, 2012 at 10:56 am said:

Sounds good to me! I’d love to visit Brazil someday.

+ Heavenly_king on July 31st, 2012 at 8:32 am said:

I would buy these game if instead of treating only 1 religion like crap, they treat every religion equally.

+ xCh0z3n-0n3x on July 31st, 2012 at 9:11 am said:

@1 yes it does…a 4GB.

OT: i will be getting both versions when they come out. i hope they have a deal like The Show where both cost like $80 if i remember right.

+ iHumanHappyMeal on July 31st, 2012 at 9:34 am said:

Awesome cover. I will be buying the PS Vita bundle!!!

+ MakoSOLIDER on July 31st, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

@13
I want Ubi to release ACIII on PS Store then cus I wanna buy Liberation Digitally and u wun have a deal if ACIII is only retail! Please Ubi bring it to PS Store day 1!

Also hopefully we see more of Liberation of Gamescom cus I actually wanna see more of it then ACIII now. Seen enough of ACIII to justify the purchase :D

@SONY
Where is Plus on Vita!

+ CyPhErLoUs on July 31st, 2012 at 9:38 am said:

And yet there’s still no app to view this on our iPhone or iPad in the US. Get with the times already please! PlayStation this generation has lacked in all areas. What happened to you guys?

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on July 31st, 2012 at 11:00 am said:

Good news! It’s coming soon! PTOM digital is actually already available on Zinio and will be coming to Apple and Google newsstands in the next couple of weeks. Amazon and Nook to follow in the fall.

We’ve got a lot of other exciting plans in the works as well!

+ somebignasty on July 31st, 2012 at 9:58 am said:

I just renewed my subscription about a month ago, so hopefully I’ll be getting this issue. I can’t wait for AC3 and Liberation, I already have AC3 CE paid off and I’m working on paying off Liberation and the replica gauntlet!

+ AizawaYuuichi on July 31st, 2012 at 10:03 am said:

@ xCh0z3n-0n3x: I don’t see them doing a bundle deal like The Show, as that was the same game on both current platforms. AC3 and AC3: L are two completely different games. It’s not like you have to decide which system to get a single game on. I personally have both of them paid off already (including the CE of AC3), so while I don’t care if they made a bundle offering for some strange reason, it’d only save me money in the long run, lol.

+ gnz_hd88 on July 31st, 2012 at 10:18 am said:

magicx11, IT HAS to come with a memory card, where would you save the game saves? or where would the system save or load from your information, it’s essential.

+ mcbuttz78 on July 31st, 2012 at 10:44 am said:

very good a book this month. i was really let down with spider man. The camera is hard to manage and see what going on, The correct camera angles in the genraton of games today is a lost art.

But lego batman is a must buy . i agree.

Hope your summer is going great @ pstom

Mcbuttz78
vp-psn legioniaree group

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on July 31st, 2012 at 11:25 am said:

Yup, Spider-Man didn’t do much for me either. Not horrible, just not great. Our reviewer liked it more than I did.

Hope you’re having a great summer too!

+ neokid832 on July 31st, 2012 at 10:56 am said:

Roger, got it yesterday and already read the AC article. And it sounds so awesome, I cant wait for AC3 now.
Also just curious if you guys will be doing a Playstation All Stars cover story before release? : ) Thanks

+ supermoc10 on July 31st, 2012 at 11:01 am said:

@8
Yeah, the devs said that Connor will appear in Liberation. I don’t know if Aveline will appear in ACIII tough.

+ neokid832 on July 31st, 2012 at 11:05 am said:

Also will there be an additional fee to get a digital copy of the magazine once it hits iOS, if we already receive it by mail?

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on July 31st, 2012 at 11:18 am said:

That’s being looked into. But right now, the digital copy should be considered a standalone purchase. I hope to have more news on that soon.

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on July 31st, 2012 at 11:16 am said:

There’s a lot of factors that go into whether a game ends up on our cover, so I can’t promise anything. But we do intend to do more coverage of PlayStation All-Stars.

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on July 31st, 2012 at 11:21 am said:

Ack! Posting reply fail! This was meant to be a reply to neokid832.

+ ABNVOX on July 31st, 2012 at 11:26 am said:

Assassins Creed Liberation is probably my second most wanted Vita title next to LBP. AC3 is looking so good tho i cant wait.

+ abornfotballstar on July 31st, 2012 at 1:21 pm said:

CANT WAIT TO GET THE GAME

+ eth1979 on July 31st, 2012 at 1:30 pm said:

What are the odds of a Batman Arkham or inFamous (new game or port) for the PS Vita being anounced soon?

+ ItaChu on July 31st, 2012 at 1:43 pm said:

gamestop should sell this magazine :( i cant buy it anywhere in puerto rico

+ chowder_07 on July 31st, 2012 at 2:36 pm said:

No sign of lbp vita yet?I wish if i bought AC3 then I could have the vita version,unfortunately its 100% impossible or you could just sell an AC3 and Liberation pack now that is 50% possible

+ sakif7 on July 31st, 2012 at 11:11 pm said:

I’m planning to get Assassin’s Creed 3 on the PS3.

+ Evilninja on August 1st, 2012 at 11:44 am said:

@Psyco_Jeisus Looks like Revolução Farroupilha was an April Fool’s joke that ran on the Ubisoft Brasil Twitter account. So no, it’s not in the article, sorry.

+ Evilninja on August 1st, 2012 at 11:48 am said:

@chowder_07 There’s an LBP Vita preview in this issue, so there you go.

+ Rainbowlover on August 1st, 2012 at 12:41 pm said:

I’m ready to get both of these games on day 1

+ Elvick_ on August 1st, 2012 at 11:44 pm said:

Looking forward to Liberation.

+ proud2be on August 2nd, 2012 at 1:56 pm said:

Will their be any PLAYSTATION ALL-STARS BATTLE PTOM COVER??? With coverage of game info and maybe for once a POSTER,since no collectors edition is being made i think this will be cool to give and it will also look good in my room too :)

+ moonset9 on August 3rd, 2012 at 6:07 pm said:

there are two game series that ive been with since the beginning so i cant wait for ac3 and mgr revengeance though the game seems completely different id like to see some stealth gameplay

+ moonset9 on August 3rd, 2012 at 6:08 pm said:

i was talking about mgr not ac3, ac3 looks great

+ an-inFamous1337 on August 7th, 2012 at 1:17 pm said:

I just can’t wait for Assassin’s Creed III and to see Connor in real action.