GTAV PS4

The Expendables 2: The Videogame Blows the Top Off PSN Play Today

Adam Sarasohn's Avatar + Posted by Adam Sarasohn on Jul 31, 2012 // Producer, Ubisoft

Hello PlayStation.Blog! The Expendables 2: The Videogame will be kicking off the PSN PLAY program today, giving PlayStation gamers the first chance to play this explosive shooter. Following the critically acclaimed action movie series by Lionsgate and Millennium Films, The Expendables 2: The Videogame put gamers in control of four of the world’s top mercenaries – Barney Ross, Hale Caesar, Gunner Jensen and Yin Yang – as they embark on a rescue mission for a kidnapped billionaire.

Each mercenary will have a distinct play style giving you the choice to tackle enemies up-close or from afar. Here’s a quick breakdown of each of the characters weapons and abilities:

The Expendables 2 on PSNThe Expendables 2 on PSN

Barney Ross: As the leader of the Expendables, Barney is a solid all-around character with no particular weaknesses. His dual pistols or Colt revolver make short work of weaker enemies, while a well-timed grenade toss can take out turrets, tanks, and whatever else the game throws your way. And if someone gets a little too close, Barney’s brass knuckles will send them flying back where they came from.

Hale Caesar: Hale is your explosives expert. His weapons are extremely powerful, but slow to reload, so time your attacks carefully. His grenade launcher ensures that something is exploding on the screen at all times, and his fully automatic shotgun will clear a room in under five seconds. If you’re heavily outnumbered (as you often will be), drop some C4 and head for cover. Hale will be able to trigger it remotely and send enemies packing.

Gunner Jensen: Take your time lining up a shot with Gunner’s laser-scoped sniper rifle, and you’ll be rewarded with an extremely accurate long-range attack that penetrates cover and multiple enemies at once. Toss a flashbang to stun a group of approaching mercenaries, and then pick them off one by one. He also has a double-barreled shotgun for short range attacks, but I prefer holding the melee button to pick up nearby enemies and toss them into the crowd.

Yin Yang: Yin Yang’s knives are perfect at any range: from far away, you can toss them and take down enemies with one hit. Up close, though, Yin Yang turns into a melee machine, slicing through entire groups before they get a chance to flee. Follow up with his SMG to take down stragglers, and don’t forget the smoke grenade for cover.

The Expendables 2 on PSNThe Expendables 2 on PSN

The Expendables 2: The Videogame offers four-player co-op, so you can play with three friends — on PSN and offline. Grab a group of friends to blow through enemy forces in exotic locations, including Somalian desert, Burmese Jungles and more. Every level you complete gives you XP to upgrade the abilities and weapons of each Expendable, so max out the stats of your favorite character, or spread the upgrades around evenly between all four. Those looking to compete for bragging rights can play through several unique challenges throughout the campaign, and shoot for the top spot on the leaderboard. We’ve got hundreds of enemies, helicopter battles, a head-on assault against a tank on a high-speed train… and that’s just the first chapter.

The Expendables 2: The Videogame will be available later today for $14.99 ($11.99 for PlayStation Plus members).

+ vinnyg32 on July 31st, 2012 at 10:49 am said:

“four-player co-op, so you can play with three friends — on PSN and offline”

Cool, I was wondering if this supported online co-op.

I’m interested in this one now, Thanks.

+ MushThePainter on July 31st, 2012 at 10:50 am said:

Can’t wait to play this today!

+ NeptunePirate on July 31st, 2012 at 10:55 am said:

Offline co-op?! Yes!

Adam Sarasohn's Avatar

+ Alex Monney on July 31st, 2012 at 11:48 am said:

That was my exact statement when I first heard about the game. Always good to have more offline co-op games to play with friends.

+ MushThePainter on July 31st, 2012 at 11:08 am said:

It’s up! Downloading it now!!

Adam Sarasohn's Avatar

+ Alex Monney on July 31st, 2012 at 11:47 am said:

Thanks for the support! Hope you enjoy it :)

+ DZORMAGEN on July 31st, 2012 at 12:12 pm said:

So wait, there is no 4 player online co-op? Or is it both couch co-op and on-line co-op? Please tell me there is on-line, since I pre-ordered the game last week thinking there will be on-line co op……

+ blackgoku on July 31st, 2012 at 12:20 pm said:

the co-op is for both. just finished downloading it.

+ Monterossa on July 31st, 2012 at 12:20 pm said:

sadly I just wasted 17 bucks for Malicious (don’t know how to play and I’m too lazy to learn how) and KoF 95 (can play on PC for free with better graphic)

+ UNREALGOD on July 31st, 2012 at 12:22 pm said:

i just finished playing online co-op its fun and yes thats a confirm.

+ ABNVOX on July 31st, 2012 at 12:48 pm said:

is there a demo? this looks awesome i gotta try it before i buy it tho!

+ Milagres_ on July 31st, 2012 at 12:49 pm said:

it is great that you guys extended the 20% promotion for an extra week.
I wasnt sure I get this, but now I can read reviews and other gamers opnions.
The game looks great!

+ Milagres_ on July 31st, 2012 at 12:50 pm said:

#9 @ ABNVOX
Yes it have a demo

+ gm914 on July 31st, 2012 at 12:54 pm said:

Just want to say how awesomely fun that Expendables demo was! Never expected it. A good chunk of gameplay in the demo too.
Kinda like an on-foot Renegade Ops, and the chopper on the bridge was badass.
@ Everyone- give it a shot. I’m going to pick up a PSN card now!

+ cusman on July 31st, 2012 at 1:33 pm said:

Little bit disappointed that Arnold and Bruce and a few others are not in this game and character choices. Got it regardless because it is tough to find any couch co-op games. It’s downloading now… was hoping to catch the trailer in the meantime.

+ USCCM on July 31st, 2012 at 2:17 pm said:

Is it just me, or does this game sound EXACTLY the same as Zombie Apocalypse: Never Die Alone?

+ DZORMAGEN on July 31st, 2012 at 2:39 pm said:

@13

I bet we get them in future DLC

+ crazy_kracker1 on July 31st, 2012 at 2:52 pm said:

Is there Trophies?

+ MarkakaJin on July 31st, 2012 at 3:18 pm said:

I’m still not sure whether this game is interesting or not but I’m downloading the demo right now and I will try it out. I am a sucker for top down or eagle view type of games like this. Alien Shooter and Zombie shooter was fun. Not to mention, Dead Nation is awesome. If it’s great, I might consider getting it since there are only a few that catches my eye on the PSN store today. I can’t wait for the movie to come out!

+ MushThePainter on July 31st, 2012 at 3:23 pm said:

this game is fun as hell, match making works great! Lots of upgrades and levels to play, this will keep me busy for awhile, great job guys!

Adam Sarasohn's Avatar

+ Alex Monney on July 31st, 2012 at 5:00 pm said:

Thanks for the kind words!

+ Strikuh on July 31st, 2012 at 4:18 pm said:

Any chance of this being released on disc? I hate downloading games. Physical media for me. No disc = fail.

+ Reignfall21 on July 31st, 2012 at 4:31 pm said:

Hi can someone shed some light on something for me? Isn’t August 1st technically supposed to be the new PS+ giveaways thing? Correct me if I’m wrong but it seems the Walking Dead Ep 1 and 2 free doesn’t live up to the usual monthly freebies.

+ Monterossa on July 31st, 2012 at 4:35 pm said:

oh the demo is awesome!!

I’ll buy the full game soon.

+ YungShep on August 1st, 2012 at 8:23 pm said:

i pre-ordered mine, thanks for the free theme! wish it would of downloaded automatically, could of been off work waiting one me once i got home. but the game itself is really awesome. for anyone wondering,.

if Contra x Wolf of the Battlefield Commando 3 x Dead Nation had a baby, it would be named Expendables 2: The Video Game