No Man's Sky

Help Come Up With a New DualShock 3 Design

Richard Ho's Avatar + Posted by Richard Ho on Aug 01, 2012 // Associate Product Marketing Manager

Having spent countless hours gaming with the DualShock 3 controller, many of you can attest that it’s the controller of choice for gamers around the world. We’ve heard many of your requests for new DualShock 3 colors, and over the years we have introduced several new ones, from Metallic Blue to Urban Camo.

blue

Hearing what you have to say and getting your feedback on our products is very important to us here at PlayStation. We want to add to our line-up of DualShock 3 colors, but this time we want you to be the designer. Starting today, and ending August 15th, you can go to PlayStation.Blog.Share to submit your idea for the design of the next DualShock 3 controller. Whether your design is based on your favorite game or your ideal color, all PlayStation fans will be able to vote on your idea. How cool would it be if you saw a new DualShock 3 that was inspired by you at your local game store?

You can find more details on how to submit your idea here, or just click below to get right to it. Be sure to select the DualShock 3 category when submitting. If you just want to vote, you can see all of the idea submissions here.

Please note that ideas are manually vetted for duplicates, so they won’t show up immediately. We look forward to your feedback!

+ Batclaw21 on August 1st, 2012 at 6:55 pm said:

How about a Gun Metal color
The Square,Triangle,Circe,and X buttons light up their original colors
The Shoulder buttons,Analog Sticks,Start & Select buttons,SONY,and the D-pad are a glossy black except for the letters on the Shoulder buttons and the arrows above the D-pad they are also the same Gun Metal color
Finally the PS button would light up its original red,orange,and blue colors.

+ ussr586 on August 1st, 2012 at 7:04 pm said:

How about a black and yeloow controller

+ ussr586 on August 1st, 2012 at 7:05 pm said:

i mean yellow

+ WICKEDGHOST187 on August 1st, 2012 at 7:13 pm said:

Can we have it be see threw and light up.

+ supermoc10 on August 1st, 2012 at 7:17 pm said:

I know this is unrelated but any chance you guys can release a version of the DS3 with the triggers of the PS Move Wheel. They are so much better than the default ones.

+ Enigma777 on August 1st, 2012 at 7:37 pm said:

Title threw me off. Though you meant the actual controller. Not just the color. Either way the DS3 is pretty much perfect. The only thing I’d change is make the sticks concave, cause my thumbs tents to get sweaty and slip during extended play sessions.

+ ABNVOX on August 1st, 2012 at 7:43 pm said:

Halloween Orange, Midnight Purple, Lime Green and a Sackboy Sack painted controllers would rock!

+ jwspiker on August 1st, 2012 at 7:51 pm said:

honestly, how about going with a not just a color redesign but charge a 10$ premium for an aluminum one, or another similar light metal. Would be sweet to have metal shell controller

+ jwspiker on August 1st, 2012 at 7:59 pm said:

Clear/see through would be the other option

+ kmcdrc1300 on August 1st, 2012 at 8:12 pm said:

A purple dualshock 3 would have my money hands down.

+ whiteboyfromco on August 1st, 2012 at 8:14 pm said:

People, we’re designing a dualshock 3 controller, not redesigning it. If the controller is changed, it’s no longer a dualshock 3. They are asking for designs and colors, NOT button replacement.

+ Burmecian_Rat on August 1st, 2012 at 8:28 pm said:

When I read the article title “help with a new design”, I assumed Sony was FINALLY serious about updating its clunky ugly old controller for something more comfortable and ergonomic. I guess I assumed wrong since this is just another silly colour. The word to use then is “look”, not “design”.

One of the big reasons the PS3 has lost so much business to the Xbox 360 (and I suppose the Wii) this gen is because of its inferior controller. The dual shock needs a complete overhaul for the next gen. Start by getting proper triggers and switching the place of the d-pad and analog stick. Get rubber grips, and make the face buttons more clicky.

+ Ultranium on August 1st, 2012 at 8:36 pm said:

I like all the answers that say boomerang. it’s obvious that Sony wants everyone to “design” a color. They should’ve had the topic named “design your scheme for the next dualshock 3 controller.” Otherwise, you’ll get a lot of joke answers.

I’d like a clear PS3 controller with blue LED lights.

+ jimmyfoxhound on August 1st, 2012 at 8:47 pm said:

CLEAR PURPLE WITH BLUE LED LIGHTS!!!

+ S_L_I_C_K–T on August 1st, 2012 at 9:25 pm said:

All I want to see is Silver Crome and Gold Crome ps3 controller. I’d buy up 4 of them. 2 crome and 2 gold crome. It would be nice to make some slim ps3′s with shinny gold crome and silver crome skins to. I would be happy as heck!

+ Ezekiel_rsx69 on August 1st, 2012 at 9:28 pm said:

I would just like a black one with clear square/triangle/circle/x buttons… No color on the buttons just black and white like the Vita. That would look sleek.

+ Ezekiel_rsx69 on August 1st, 2012 at 9:31 pm said:

And then a white version of that too. All white, with the d-pad and buttons being clear. No color on the square/triangle/circle/x just done in black. Sleek Vita style. And a white PS3 in North America to go with it.

+ SpeedGabriel2002 on August 1st, 2012 at 9:45 pm said:

why not game characters ideas sly emblem,iron spider emblem,crash,jak and daxter,Rachet and clank,Dragon ball,dragon ball z, Dragon ball GT,Sly or bentley and ,murray i would want the sly cooper emblem DS3 more than any DS3 please reply give me your thouts.

+ NYGiants845 on August 1st, 2012 at 9:58 pm said:

I like the combination of black and neon green, something along the lines of this color scheme:

+ anoniob on August 1st, 2012 at 10:04 pm said:

Make it to where you may design your own controller. You may order these from us.playstation.com and come up with your own unique design. All designs must be pre approved by SCEA, but each person can have their own unique controller.

+ TangBerry on August 1st, 2012 at 10:19 pm said:

i agree id really like to see Purple theres not many girl colors out there !

+ LionsguardAgrias on August 1st, 2012 at 10:22 pm said:

Just get the button background to match the controller base color, similar to the PSP.
It just looks awkward in annything but black right now.

+ LionsguardAgrias on August 1st, 2012 at 10:32 pm said:

@Burmecian_Rat
It’s a misleading header for sure but I can’t say I agree about the reasons Sony’s lost business this time around. The DS3 feels just fine. About the only true design change I would make is switching the dpad and left stick the way MS did.
Lost out to Xbox due to timing and Wii grabbed a new audience no one thought really existed 10 years ago.

+ california_Teddy on August 1st, 2012 at 10:41 pm said:

i beleve alot of people would go crazy over a hello kitty theme.

+ BlueMarvel100 on August 1st, 2012 at 11:31 pm said:

LEAVE IT THE WAY IT IS! The DUALSHOCK 3 controller is perfect the way it is. Please do not change it. Doing so would ruin millions of gamers’ experiences on the best console available (the PS3).

As far as designs go, an Uncharted 3 Drake’s Deception DUALSHOCK controller would be excellent.

+ ToFeY on August 2nd, 2012 at 1:48 am said:

an apple green colored controller would be nice ;D

+ Bladenhell on August 2nd, 2012 at 2:59 am said:

i would like a Black and White Dualshock 3 ( White at front ), and you should add a led light for the PS button.

+ AizawaYuuichi on August 2nd, 2012 at 3:16 am said:

Wow. When I first read this, I figured I would be one of the only people asking for a purple controller. But then I browse over the first page and see about a half dozen other commenters ask for it as well. Now I’m feeling my odds are up. I shall go and look for that color submission and vote for it.

I personally would prefer a deep purple/grape purple hue, but I could go for a good violet as well. I currently am rocking red, white and blue controllers thanks to the suggestion of a friend that works at the local game store, but it feels weird having three controllers, so I’ve been trying to find a suitable fourth color. If purple were to appear in stores at some point, it would be an insta-purchase.

+ lupo88 on August 2nd, 2012 at 3:36 am said:

gold with the flames. also with the face of kratos or lara.

+ DarkMegamanSX900 on August 2nd, 2012 at 4:03 am said:

Make a DualShock3 controller of these three famous characters use there colors Sly Cooper his Can be Like Gray colored DualShock Ratchet can be like the orange or Yellow DualShock3 controller I saw one before but there was a limited amount you guys should make that again and Jak can be like a Dark purple for his Dark Jak form so what do you guys thank you like the colors I pick
Ratchet orange or Yellow like DualShock3 controller
Sly Cooper Gray like DualShock3 controller
Jak Dark Purple DualShock3 controller

+ ARC_Stig on August 2nd, 2012 at 5:21 am said:

Looks like alot of people want to see some lights added in. :D I think it would be an awesome addittion for the controller. :D I guess I’ll wait to buy a new controller untill I know which of these is going to get it. :D

+ mastorofpuppetz on August 2nd, 2012 at 5:28 am said:

It’s obvious, everyone knows the L2 and R2 buttons are in too far and too weak (Not rigid enough), controller is to small, and the analog sticks have rounded up tops whihc make it easy for the fingers to slip off. See Xbox controller. There are thousands of gamers who play more on 360 because of the controller alone. The 2 analogs also could be better placed

+ EyesBleedNoSleep on August 2nd, 2012 at 5:29 am said:

To know that an idea you have might actually become reality for a PlayStation 3 New DualShock 3 Controller & then that controller will be available to the PS3 gamer masses all around the world & you had a part in it.
Just BLOWS MY MIND! O_O

+ Corvo_Bianco_ on August 2nd, 2012 at 6:18 am said:

I would add an option to adjust the vibration seen in some games overdoing it as a vibration

+ LikeRA1N on August 2nd, 2012 at 6:27 am said:

I just submitted my idea. Something like a pattern collection from floral to royal. I’d personally love a plaid black, red and white DS3 controller. Ha!

+ artem9000 on August 2nd, 2012 at 6:28 am said:

One more idea:
DualShock 3 with yellow Plus logo on right button pad with free Plus subscription for 3 month

+ djnealb on August 2nd, 2012 at 6:55 am said:

Sooooo, what if I already posted an idea for the DS3, but it was over 2 years ago and has over 170 up votes?
Do I need to repost it?

+ djnealb on August 2nd, 2012 at 6:59 am said:

Also, so much for manually vetting for duplicates. I’m 10 pages into Share and can’t tell you how many purple, black & gold, metallic, etc. ideas I’ve seen.

+ Undrey on August 2nd, 2012 at 7:01 am said:

This isn’t new but I’d like a controller with the R2 and L2 buttons in the controller (see the PS2 controller). Since my R2 button is weak now.

+ supeMAN_313 on August 2nd, 2012 at 7:20 am said:

iwant batmn dualshock 3 or encharted 3 thanks sony for evey thing

+ djnealb on August 2nd, 2012 at 7:22 am said:

I just submitted a link to my original idea from 2 years ago. I hope it wins :P

+ gamepro_88 on August 2nd, 2012 at 7:28 am said:

When is the ps4 coming out

+ ILVX on August 2nd, 2012 at 7:56 am said:

Arctic Frost? (sorry for bad quality, it only took me like 20 mins)

+ KiNg__RKO__ on August 2nd, 2012 at 8:10 am said:

how

+ Heavenly_king on August 2nd, 2012 at 8:16 am said:

it would be nice if the new controller color schemes/designs come also with a console that resembles those design.

+ chemerie on August 2nd, 2012 at 8:33 am said:

jusr recentjly got a gold Dualshock 3, but will we ever see transparent Dualshock 3s soon?

+ djnealb on August 2nd, 2012 at 9:07 am said:

@chemerie:
We would if they went with my idea from 2 years ago for transparent DS3s (and colored transparent controllers). I guess I was 2 years ahead of my time. Good news, though, is that that idea has over 170 up votes.

+ Ryuk4ever on August 2nd, 2012 at 9:19 am said:

Great idea, A controlled, double color as white with black, blue to red, etc.

+ BuchNasty on August 2nd, 2012 at 9:20 am said:

Sony REALLY needs to start releasing controllers painted with exlusive playstation characters. Microsoft has been capitalizing on this idea forever and it definitely gets controllers sold. How many people care about having a camo theme controller? Probably not that many but you can guarantee its not as many as those who would go out and buy an uncharted 3 themed controller. People have no problem spending the money to have a controller with their favorite game characters on it such as Sly, jak, ratchet and clank, cole mcgrath, and so on. I play my ps3 WAY more than my 360 but one thing that I always am envious of is all the controller choices xbox players have. Not sure why they haven’t followed the marketing idea yet but sony it’s time to get the ball rollin’!

+ BuchNasty on August 2nd, 2012 at 9:25 am said:

@Burmecian_Rat
Wow… there’s so much wrong with what you just said. Ps2 is STILL the best controller to date. The only thing wrong about the ps3 design is that the r2 and l2 buttons backs are rounded so when you put the controller down sometimes they accidentally hit the switches and I dislike that. The 360 design is a bit more comfortable (idk why you’d bring up the wiimote.. that thing is just made of awful) but that D-pad is attrocious, and since the ps3 controller isn’t uncomfortable by any means I’d take usability over a bit more comfort.