PS4-The Order

Help Come Up With a New DualShock 3 Design

Richard Ho's Avatar + Posted by Richard Ho on Aug 01, 2012 // Associate Product Marketing Manager

Having spent countless hours gaming with the DualShock 3 controller, many of you can attest that it’s the controller of choice for gamers around the world. We’ve heard many of your requests for new DualShock 3 colors, and over the years we have introduced several new ones, from Metallic Blue to Urban Camo.

blue

Hearing what you have to say and getting your feedback on our products is very important to us here at PlayStation. We want to add to our line-up of DualShock 3 colors, but this time we want you to be the designer. Starting today, and ending August 15th, you can go to PlayStation.Blog.Share to submit your idea for the design of the next DualShock 3 controller. Whether your design is based on your favorite game or your ideal color, all PlayStation fans will be able to vote on your idea. How cool would it be if you saw a new DualShock 3 that was inspired by you at your local game store?

You can find more details on how to submit your idea here, or just click below to get right to it. Be sure to select the DualShock 3 category when submitting. If you just want to vote, you can see all of the idea submissions here.

Please note that ideas are manually vetted for duplicates, so they won’t show up immediately. We look forward to your feedback!

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ SnoochyBoochiez on August 2nd, 2012 at 9:28 am said:

For the love of God, bring back a version with the old L2+R2 buttons. For FPS games, my trigger finger can go so much faster, the new ones that curve into the controller are much more inconvenient. For driving games, I enjoy the curve in because you can adjust your acceleration easier. I don’t care much for the design of the controller because I put grips on mine.

+ SnoochyBoochiez on August 2nd, 2012 at 9:30 am said:

Oh and also I think it would be a cool idea to try out switching the D-pad and the L3 analog stick. I like the size of the dual shock controllers, however the closeness L3+R3 have to each other is an awkward position for thumbs and makes it more sensitive.

+ PrinceofXIII on August 2nd, 2012 at 9:43 am said:

the the bumpers should be like the PDP ones

makes playing games much much more comfortable :P

+ Ethereal on August 2nd, 2012 at 9:53 am said:

Awesome to get the community involved. Thanks Sony. I am sure the fans are going to come up with some great ideas. Ill start brainstorming myself.

+ boomstickbhg on August 2nd, 2012 at 10:07 am said:

Please don’t do anything to change the controller.

The current ps3 controller is a very big reason why I prefer this sytem over the others, it’s the only one comfortable to hold.

no changes please, the design of the PS3 controller is fine.

+ mcbuttz78 on August 2nd, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

I think the Ps3 controller need to be a bit slimmer. Maybe make them different colors.

mcbuttz78
vp psn legioniaree group

+ LikeRA1N on August 2nd, 2012 at 12:01 pm said:

Aww. I entered my idea but I don’t see it on the list? Entering your idea from your PS3 shouldn’t affect anything, should it?

+ OMAR_OZIEL- on August 2nd, 2012 at 1:16 pm said:

uno con forma de battlefield 3

+ anarchowolf on August 2nd, 2012 at 1:17 pm said:

Crap.. I typed R1 instead of L2 in my submission, if you catch that then take note…

+ TJF588 on August 2nd, 2012 at 1:36 pm said:

I agree with TwinDad back in post 4: I’d like to see an official bigger DualShock.

While I prefer the symmetry of the DualShock (as does Katamari and NOBY NOBY frontman, Keita Takahashi) and the accessibility of the D-pad, the Xbox 360 controller is so [i]comfortable[/i]. That, and the trigger buttons have a better “catch” than R2/L2, though I hardly play anything that relies on either set. Heck, I hardly play a 360, save for XBLA/XBLIG console-exclusives.

So I’d say leave the layout, but make a model that caters to bigger hands, and more reliably press-able shoulder buttons.

+ dmetz1220 on August 2nd, 2012 at 1:52 pm said:

maybe a god of war themed!! would be really cool

+ proud2be on August 2nd, 2012 at 2:03 pm said:

as long as its not that boomerang looking one they tried to put out during ps3 reveal. i say make the vibration more responsive and stronger rumble , i miss seeing sport & character themed remotes ,my favorite was the hulk light up and extra rumble feel it had.always wanted to try that fan built in remote ,never did so maybe a ps3 version can be made or maybe try making some GOD OF WAR themed remotes! wow, now that would be nice to see, like make a line of playstation character themed remotes.That would nice, i hope sony reads this.

+ crusher915 on August 2nd, 2012 at 3:00 pm said:

Why hasn’t the dualshock lowered in price since launch???

+ ElektroDragon on August 2nd, 2012 at 3:21 pm said:

I’ll post here because my ideas have never never been approved in the past. Only the TRIGGERS need to be changed. Make them slope outwards at the bottom so fingers don’t always feel like slipping, and make them more springy and less mushy!

+ Randinator-_001 on August 2nd, 2012 at 3:53 pm said:

i wish i could somehow buy the ‘boomerang’ controller :/, i dont like using the same ps2 controller into a next generation of a playstaion console.

+ vza004 on August 2nd, 2012 at 3:55 pm said:

Heck, I hate the PS Share so much. Why? Because my ideas never have been approved even the controller idea that I’ve posted yesterday. There’s even no record of my- anything in PS Share.

+ SHINSPIKES on August 2nd, 2012 at 4:01 pm said:

Pfft, if its just painting, paint it whatever you want. Thought yah wanted improvements. Even though it doesn’t really need it, but changing things out like the MLG controller would be nice. Like having the same tech for the dpad, but switching for a smoother surface like the alps interactive batarang.

+ mathboy3 on August 2nd, 2012 at 4:30 pm said:

Some new colours like gold, purple, sky blue or green would be great. I’m also hoping for some skin controllers from Uncharted 3, God of War, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank; something like that. And analog sticks and the D-pad can be more fixed in since they get loose over time (no offense, Sony!). The range is excellent as always. Just trying to speak for everyone.

+ mathboy3 on August 2nd, 2012 at 4:32 pm said:

And a transparent controller in different colours!

+ mathboy3 on August 2nd, 2012 at 4:35 pm said:

Also some first party skinned controllers from like Batman: Arkham City, Assassin’s Creed; you name it.

+ AraiAkunin on August 2nd, 2012 at 5:44 pm said:

I would love to have buttons on the back, put those other digits to use for a change.

+ ATOMS11 on August 2nd, 2012 at 5:51 pm said:

Just submitted my second idea! I feel its a great concept. Here’s my first http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/author/ATOMS11/

+ StackedPancakes on August 2nd, 2012 at 8:06 pm said:

I love the DS3, but I’ve gone through 5 of them. why? because they keep breaking on me! everything from the joysticks to the R1 button. (always the R1 button ) from floating pieces of plastic. to them shutting off on their own. to one never turning on again… i don’t mistreat them at all. they just fall apart on me… sooo, how about making them more durable! lower price wont hurt either.

+ BeastieCat on August 2nd, 2012 at 9:07 pm said:

USA!

+ Matrix_Lion on August 3rd, 2012 at 12:37 am said:

Sony you should think about doing a Steampunk DualShock 3. Make it transparent with a bronze like tint. Gut the inside with Steampunk mechanics if possible.

+ SirSpirituous on August 3rd, 2012 at 12:45 am said:

Please release this controller:

This would be a great way to celebrate the history of Playstation, it would give folks a slightly larger controller but still retain the original design, and it would be a collectable as it was never released outside of Japan.

P.S I’d also like to see Tenchu Stealth Assassins 1 & 2 on the PSN Store, as well as Fire Pro Wrestling G in the Import section of the store.

Thanks!

+ ToxinAlive on August 3rd, 2012 at 2:25 am said:

I see a lot of comments about the classic gray color which I like.

I would love to see some superhero themed controllers (except for Aquaman….. nobody likes Aquaman). I know that a lot of avid comic book readers as well as fans of super heroes are also gamers. I mean if you guys made an Amazing Spider-Man or a Man of Steel controller I’d gladly shell out $110 for both controllers

I also think that either A) We should be able to change the colors of the player-indicator lights (let’s be honest, not everybody likes red) or B) they should change with the current system theme color or game we’re playing. (Kinda like the sphere on the motion controller. i was so excited when it changed color on-the-fly in LittleBIGPlanet 2)

+ Elvick_ on August 3rd, 2012 at 2:36 am said:

You need to fix blog share, because it does not work.

I’ve tried to submit completely new ideas many times and nothing. While, I’ve noticed that my first (and only idea) that I’ve managed to get submitted has been submitted by two other people way after mine was already there. :/

And since the ideas don’t go through, I’ll just put it here.

Let us report things that are in action. Since you’re not on top of that either. Lots of things need to be switched over.

+ tangers1 on August 3rd, 2012 at 8:16 am said:

i know colour competition in which case i want a sleeping dogs artwork DS3.

anyway who would have wanted a trackball instead of a Right analogue stick.

kinda like this:

PS. pls make the PS sharpshooter have some sort of extra attachment to make it more accurate, maybe just use Nintendo Wii style, with the camera in the sharpshooter and infrared emitters on the tv. killzone is not on-sight accurate at all as we all now with ps sharpshooter usage, (after 5 minutes after the calibration the aiming reticle is not where it should be).

+ darthelghast on August 3rd, 2012 at 8:58 am said:

The only change I’d make is improved L2 and R2 triggers, but it’s been made clear that design suggestions are for aesthetics only.

+ KoldStrejke on August 3rd, 2012 at 9:47 am said:

WHY. the controler is good how it is. there’s no need for new design. dont waste money on redesigning it its all good NOW.

+ Ayentando on August 3rd, 2012 at 11:04 am said:

Option 1
Transparent

Option 2
The regular controllers, with different color buttons.

Option 3
Camo controllers, a lot of camos.

Option 4:
Ps3 exclusive game controllers. God of War, Uncharted, Resistance, etc.

+ midleagekiller on August 3rd, 2012 at 11:41 am said:

Can we change the image off the buttons and writte on the back side?
For example, (just an example) put a kratus face on the left analog stick or change colour of the ”X” button.

+ midleagekiller on August 3rd, 2012 at 11:45 am said:

And I’de love to present a picture of the sketch, is that possible?
It helps have an image to associate.

+ UnholyBahamut on August 3rd, 2012 at 5:37 pm said:

If your design wins, would you send a DS3 with the design to the winner?

+ Burningskull on August 3rd, 2012 at 8:28 pm said:

I think you should make two separate controllers. One with the L2 and R2 buttons as the current triggers, and one that has the L2 and R2 buttons as buttons like the DualShock 2 controller. Really annoying trying to block with the triggers in action games. Especially those that don’t let you change controls around.

+ kingodell on August 3rd, 2012 at 9:42 pm said:

you guys should put more motion on the controller for new games that come out and speakers for up close and personal games

+ kingodell on August 3rd, 2012 at 9:47 pm said:

you should make the ps3 controller more like a ps vita type of thing touch on the back and change around everything

+ MSGBADASS on August 4th, 2012 at 1:00 pm said:

I like the blue design, but I’d prefer it half and half with the classic black style we all grown to love from the PS2 days into the PS3. Just my opinion guys. It would be edgy.

+ kratos_drake__ on August 4th, 2012 at 4:02 pm said:

It be awesome if you guys made a Gold Dualshock!! Haha or to be more extreme make a gold Ps3 to go with it!! Oh and since you guys dont intend to change the overall shape of the Dualshock3,for The DualShock 4 could pleas make the Grips a Tad-bit longer? Atleast as long as The dual analong controler you guys realeased back In 97!!

+ superkiler12 on August 4th, 2012 at 7:58 pm said:

This is not for the DS3 but for the DS4 for the next upcoming PS4 take a look http://www.ps4playstation4.com/PS4-Controller-Ergo-DualShock

+ THE-REIGEN on August 5th, 2012 at 6:10 am said:

a transparent ds3
like the red, blue ones that came out for the ps2, i loved those

+ Hooligantuan on August 5th, 2012 at 2:36 pm said:

200 characters is pretty chintzy, guys. :D

I’m trying to properly describe something and barely have room to type why I’m suggesting it. I know these are a lot to read, but would 300 characters be that bad?

“A metal ring added to the inside edges of the DS3 controller’s analog stick orbits as the sticks grind the edges down, becoming brittle and breakable, with dust falling into the sticks’ housing.”

That’s what I eventually trimmed it down to after trying to explain that the plastic dust is also potentially dangerous and affects the analog sticks’ performance, yadda yadda yadda.

Anyway. Even if this isn’t what you’re fishing for in this product crowd sourcing, you guys should really consider reinforcing the analogue stick orbits/wells.

+ auskye on August 5th, 2012 at 4:31 pm said:

A think you should add tact switches on the back that double as extra L3/R3 buttons. I’m physically disabled and know other people who are. The L3/R3 are too hard to use on the DS2/3. Don’t imitate the 360 (at all) either without them. The placement of thumbsticks and thumbstick buttons are worse.

I paid someone a little to add tact switches on my current controller and they’re great. They’re small and out of the way if not using them.

Color wise, transparent like the N64.

+ blueeyezkiller77 on August 5th, 2012 at 5:40 pm said:

they should make different army designs for there dual shock controllers because so far they have the digital urban.

+ xChaos_Orderx on August 6th, 2012 at 8:44 am said:

GOLD controler its ganna be beast
its ganna feel like a gold desert eagle

and add me on PS3!!!

lol

+ viper1321807 on August 6th, 2012 at 8:09 pm said:

How about super sonic gold!!! that we be beast!.

+ POISONMAN1 on August 7th, 2012 at 7:44 am said:

Did they make it better controllers i hope they did the L3 & R3 buttons sticks plus R2 & L2 the spring breaks alot i bought 3 controllers in past year and big plus battery dies to fast and controller connection it sucks it doesn’t stay connected and charge the battery before anyone say get new ps3 i do have a new ps3

+ crazy_77 on August 7th, 2012 at 7:54 am said:

What’s the point to submit your idea when all you have is 200 characters to fill out. A big draw back. I was going to submit my idea, which I thought wasn’t long at all but nope. A big fail.

PAGE 1 2 3 4