Spider-Man PS4

Aug 07

Aug 07

Persona 4 Arena Bursting Onto PS3 Today

Aram Jabbari's Avatar Posted by Manager of PR and Sales, ATLUS

PlayStation.Bloggites,

Persona 4 Arena, the freakishly gifted fighting progeny of ATLUS (makers of Persona and other fine JRPGs) and Arc System Works (makers of Guilty Gear and BlazBlue), is out now in North America for the PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system.

What exactly do you get when you marry Persona and its rich I-want-to-go-to-there universe of characters and mythology and some masterful fighting game design? Based on the fact that it’s Japan’s top arcade fighting game, Japan’s bestselling conventional console fighting game of the past four years, and one of North America’s most anticipated fighting games in recent memory, it would seem you get one heck of a mix of gaming DNA. It probably has a perfect SAT score and everything.

Persona 4 Arena for PS3

With a unique fighting engine that deftly incorporates the titular Personas and their breathtaking special powers; a roster of thirteen intricately balanced fighters, a majority of whom hail from the acclaimed Persona 4 (and a few from the equally beloved Persona 3); expertly rendered character sprites and backgrounds; a smorgasbord of features, modes, and content (including a Story mode that offers 30-40 hours of canonical goodness); and smooth-as-butter online play that lets users challenge anyone around the world, Persona 4 Arena is an irresistible fighting package. We even threw in the Japanese dub, which can be easily toggled to in the main menu… Probably because we love you.

Are you a fan of the Persona RPGs but not too keen on fighting games? P4 Arena has been designed with accessibility in mind. It’ll still take a bit of practice and commitment to master the game’s intricacies, but just about anyone can pick it up, play, and feel like a contender. Are you an Arc System Works fan who doesn’t know anything about Persona? You’re in luck, because Persona 3 and 4 offer some of gaming’s most memorable characters. Fully realized and sharply written, the roster of fighters in P4 Arena improve every game mode, bringing personality and humor to what is often a sterile experience in other genre entries.

Persona 4 Arena for PS3Persona 4 Arena for PS3

Oh, and in case you really get into things (or you’re a huge Persona fan already), there’s a slate of launch day DLC waiting for you. The DLC varies from sets of glasses for every character — an iconic aesthetic element from Persona 4 — to additional Navigators for in-game commentary and quick tips. It’s all entirely cosmetic, meaning passionate fans can further customize their characters and play experiences without messing up that oh-so-important balance.

Race out (safely) and pick up a copy from a nearby retailer today. We’re confident you’ll be happy you did. Maybe we’ll fight you online!

Add Your Own

SNORLAXex said:

August 7th, 2:54 pm

Thankfully, I’m a fan of Persona and Arc System Works. ^_^

headronefish said:

August 7th, 3:00 pm

Oh yes. Can’t wait for my copy to get here. Learning a new fighting game is always tiring, but this looks like a good deal of fun.

Monterossa said:

August 7th, 3:07 pm

No, thanks. I won’t support a region locked game.

Gokuhan_Z said:

August 7th, 3:17 pm

Love P3 & P4 and I’m glad both are here!

My only question, are the voice actors the same? I would also like to know if the voice actors for P4: The Golden are the same, since I hear it will include additional voice.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

Aram Jabbari said:

August 8th, 12:47 am

Gokuhan_Z,

With the exception of Chie and Teddie, the entire cast is back in both Persona 4 Arena and the upcoming Persona 4 Golden. Though those two roles could not be reprised, we believe the final product is an exceptional dub that lives up to the high standard we set for ourselves. We’re confident you’ll agree!

lisatsunami said:

August 7th, 3:26 pm

Hi, Aram. Not into fighting games but did you know Jeff Rubenstein has been praising Persona 3 for Vita on the blog cast? At your recommendation I also bought P3 for Vita. Because I don’t have enough vita time I’ve only played the first few minutes. Odd, different but fascinating. A boy shows up @ a new school & due to some mixup gets put into the girls’ dorm? Is this the plot of a p0rno movie?

Hopefully I’ll take a vacation someday & have more Vita time.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

Aram Jabbari said:

August 8th, 12:51 am

Lisatsunami,

P3P is all Jeff seems to talk about these days! It might feel a bit slow at first, but that’s likely because things unfold like a great book: measured, careful introduction that eventually leads to a tempo you won’t be able to break away from. It’s a lengthy epic and doesn’t rush itself as it eases you into its addicting world.

Insomnia999 said:

August 7th, 3:37 pm

Great reviews so far!

Destiny89 said:

August 7th, 3:48 pm

Atlus i have a small off topic question please, regarding the recent release of Growlanser 4 for the PSP, is it playable on Vita? if i purchase the game from my PS3 and transfer it to the Vita will it work?

Thanks!

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

Aram Jabbari said:

August 8th, 12:52 am

Destiny89,

Yes, it will!

D-Squad3 said:

August 7th, 3:48 pm

Really want to try this out, there are just too many fighting games coming out this year!

LovesJapanManga said:

August 7th, 3:58 pm

That is a fantastic news. However, I do have one question for you and I don’t want you to get me wrong way. Will Atlus find time to design and create more fun, weird, badass and knockout costumes for each and every characters? I feel like I am walking into 90’s era of Street Fighter II that offers nothing, but frigging boring color schemes for each characters. Please say they are working on that… o_O I meant no negative.

Parhibition said:

August 7th, 4:03 pm

Are there any plans to bring Persona 4 Golden to PS3? I’m not into fighting games at all.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

Aram Jabbari said:

August 8th, 12:54 am

Parhibition,

There are no plans to bring Persona 4 Golden to any platform other than PS Vita.

Biggz124 said:

August 7th, 4:33 pm

Eat crap and die slow, Atlus..

Your decision to delay the game has given me the chance to vote with my wallet at your decision.. and not buy your game.

Sincerely,

Disgruntled Gamer.

Hokage_45678 said:

August 7th, 4:35 pm

I’m gonna pick this up soon. I’m watching the anime now and its sick!

SHINSPIKES said:

August 7th, 4:40 pm

I’m pretty sure there will be another one shortly, with more characters and new balancing. I’ll wait for that. Fighing games are too predictable now to be suckerd in to buy the first version then makin us pay for the second.

NoGodsOnlyMan said:

August 7th, 4:42 pm

I want this game badly, will get it eventually

Maybe some nice discount on the ps store will do the trick. :)

love atlus

djblewis said:

August 7th, 5:06 pm

@Biggz124

You won’t buy a game because of a delay? Sounds like you probably weren’t going to buy it in the first place.

And what delay? P4A is out today as scheduled. There’s a 1-week delay in Europe, but this is the US blog, and Atlus isn’t the publisher in Europe.

Falaut said:

August 7th, 5:07 pm

Congrats on the release. The game has been getting good reviews.

Just like to say that it would be stellar if this came out on PSV, dual voice track and all!

Looking forward to Persona 4 Golden albeit being upset about it not having dual voice track. Why Atlus? I heard before it has to do with licensing. ??? Atlus has to license from… Atlus?

Please Atlus, include the original Japanese audio track in all your future releases.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

Aram Jabbari said:

August 8th, 12:57 am

Falaut,

We understand it’s a feature many of our fans are interested in and we explore it for as many of our projects as possible, but there are often factors that prohibit the inclusion of the Japanese audio track. Thanks for your feedback and passion on the matter.

XDeath90 said:

August 7th, 6:14 pm

Bought an hour ago :D
Also Aram, please, please, please, please, PLEASE! try an get PSN avatars for this game, I wanna show my support as well as show them off :P

BlooodyCow said:

August 7th, 6:18 pm

No thanks. Was going to buy this game today after work but then I saw the day-one DLC list. I hate the fact that now we have to pay for content we use to unlock via in-game achievements 7+ years ago in our game. This is probably already on the Disk we we have to buy a stupid key to unlock them.

DLC = Lock Disk Content

XDeath90 said:

August 7th, 6:26 pm

#18 The DLC doesn’t even affect gameplay, it’s optional for die hard Atlus/Persona fans so lighten up, it’s an Amazing game that has gotten extremely well reviews so i recommend you check it out :P

BlooodyCow said:

August 7th, 6:39 pm

@19 XDeath90
You are missing my point. Why should I have to pay extra for content/s, mostly likely already on the disk, that can be unlock via in-game achievements? Optional or not, I don’t support developers/publisher that have this type of business practice.

Seems to me that they are following SCAMCOM, I mean Capcom, DLC structure. If that is the case, then 6 months from now we can expect Super Ultimate Supernova Persona 4 Arena Arcade Edition. 0_o

headronefish said:

August 7th, 7:04 pm

@#20, not just Capcom, that is exactly what Aksys did was Blazblue. It is pretty enraging having to buy the same game again after six months just to stay current.

I’m done will all things Capcom, but hopefully it won’t be like that with this one. If not, at least I’ll have had my $60 worth of fun and know to stay away from any future titles of the sort.

hla-33 said:

August 7th, 7:14 pm

we want avatars :(

FullMetalGear said:

August 7th, 7:37 pm

I agree with the Avatars, please make this happen and maybe a Dynamic Wallpaper? Anyway, I have to be honest, I mainly bought it because Atlus has been good to me in the past (mainly Catherine), and you (Aram) are fun to watch when you talk about these games. You seem like a gamer before a business person and I enjoy that. However, seeing all these reviews have made me more excited then I have intended to be. Unfortunately, my pre-order just came in as I had to leave to work, can’t wait to play when I get home.

I’m unfamiliar with the Persona series, will the story mode spoil anything for me if I play this before Persona 4 Golden?

Zezzler said:

August 7th, 7:38 pm

I Love both Persona and Blazblue, so this should be a match made in heaven.
Hopefully this isn’t the last collaborative effort between Atlus and Arc System Works.
well after I get some playtime into P4A, i’d love to see a full blown Persona Arena with even more persona characters like P3 MC, Junpei, Tatsuya Suou, Maya Amano, R:P MC, and more.

Nonetheless though, this is one effing rad game!

PrinceofXIII said:

August 7th, 9:24 pm

“We even threw in the Japanese dub, which can be easily toggled to in the main menu… Probably because we love you.”

i don’t know about that, it probably has to do more with Arc System Works since all of their Blazblue games have dual audio and subs.

and if you did include that, why is Persona 4 Golden for Vita not Dual Audio then???

it’s fine either way if you didn’t include it, but saying you included something but didn’t do the same in the other sounds fishy.

still im excited either way, it’s just a shame Persona 4 Golden won’t have the same treatment(maybe DLC?? idk)

ah well definitely can’t way for my copy to arrive this week??

come on Amazon where is my copy!!!!!

AutomaticOcelot said:

August 7th, 9:54 pm

@3: Watch your balance up on that high horse! You realise we’ve been buying region locked games for 3 decades now, right? Whether it’s been plastic tabs on cartridges, PAL/NTSC format incompatibilities before HDTV, every disc console prior to the PS3, or region-specific online stores. Choosing to region lock a game that DOES have a worldwide multi-lingual release has been a valid business decision. You can disagree with their decision, but not purchasing it because you want to take a stand against region locking is shortsighted. Nobody is missing out with this one.

Jedah_PR said:

August 7th, 10:33 pm

I love fighting games; and I’ve loved the Persona series since the early NES days; but I’ll pass on this title. Sorry but I don’t support this “style” of fighting games ala BlazBlue / Guilty Gears; and now this title which is button smasher galore.

Thanks but no thanks. I’ll stick to SF4 / Tekken 6.

Kchow23 said:

August 7th, 10:54 pm

Looks great, but I’d like to try a demo and I already own BlazBlue: Continuum Shift 2. I will check out Persona Golden first :)

joeyrpger said:

August 7th, 11:01 pm

83 Days until Persona 4 Golden makes history on PS Vita.

Monterossa said:

August 8th, 12:32 am

@26… I have a Hong Kong PS3 and using US PSN. what do I do? import an Asian disc and HK PSN card to purchase DLCs? I won’t do that.

not just me, a lot of people have an imported PS3

Atlus doing this just because they care about their money, they don’t care about their customers.

and if this region locking crap continue…. it’s Atlus’ fault. I’ll never forgive them.

Radprofile said:

August 8th, 1:44 am

I will get this game tomorrow ( I hope so ), if it’s something from the persona team, it’s a must buy for me. Even I fell in the Catherine trap, unfortunately I didn’t like the game and never finished it … But this game looks amazing, I will only miss Yukari Takeba.

ShadowhunterrX said:

August 8th, 2:32 am

@djblewis

1 week delay europe ? Haha there is no release date for Europe ! Sir you are a joke.
( yes many shops say august 31 )

Atlus and Europe will never be friends.

I also skipping this game , i dont support region locking.

JusteMilieu said:

August 8th, 3:35 am

Been playing all day, it is quite excellent

Fusion13 said:

August 8th, 3:40 am

I really can’t wait to play this. I would have it now but my dire situation of not enough money disables me from jumping into this world. I’ll have to pretend to go to the midnight channel lol. Ugh I’ll get this game soon!

Question though. Will this game be getting a digital download version on PSN?
I’ve really liked buying full games off PSN lately simply due to better load times and so I can’t never regret trading them in. If there is one planned i’ll buy that.

Skrawney said:

August 8th, 6:52 am

Here is a quote I got from shoryuken, it might explain why this being the only region locked game so far on ps3 is a bad thing.

“There are people on different markets outside usa that are on a more gray area of what region they fall, take the philippines for example, people like dev for example has a north american ps3 that the retailer sold there, but many of the games that are sold are from the asia region, if he wants a game he would need to import the usa version, from what it has been told on the p4 thread on srk, the price of import it + taxes is going to be around $100, for that, some people would simply pass on the game, because this move’

Hope that explains every thing for people here in America. Alot of the time the U.S. ps3 is cheaper than the region that person may live in. Since there hasn’t been any region locking going on, which ps3 would you buy since it will play any game? Well untill now. Just my 2 cents about other markets.

triple_lei said:

August 8th, 8:08 am

Atlus dubs are always great… I’d love it if Aram did some voice acting too… ~

Solh0und said:

August 8th, 10:47 am

@BlooodyCow

Like #19 said, It’s completely cosmetic meaning you DON’T have to buy it. All of the announcer DLC is only shortcuts since they can be all unlocked in the game.

Anyway, I haven’t got to actually sit down and play it it in a good sitting but I’m enjoying it so far.

BNast7 said:

August 8th, 11:39 am

Is it still worth playing if you haven’t played the Persona games? I’m thinking about picking up a vita and playing 3 then 4. The art style looks really intriguing to me and I have been looking to pick up a solid fighting game.

ieswkMN said:

August 8th, 4:22 pm

Can you please release this game on PSN for digital download?

SpiritThief said:

August 8th, 4:44 pm

Little off topic but any chances of us getting Persona 4 PS2 classic now? We already got 3 I’d like 4 to finish the set.

Handhelds aren’t really my thing.

ABNVOX said:

August 8th, 7:50 pm

i love persona games, i cant wait for persona 4 golden on the vita, but im not sure about this game. i heard its like guilty gear and sadly im not a fan of that series.

Vailintine said:

August 9th, 11:35 am

A top fighting series with a top RPG series. I got my copy as soon as gamestop opened. My only wish that they offered a special edition for it as well as for Persona 4 Golden. I know Japan got some sweet stuff.

CaptainJames99 said:

August 9th, 3:36 pm

I was seriously looking at this game but abandoned it cause of all of the problems caused by the idiotic restrictions like the region locks and disc locked content. Paying twice for the same game is a ripoff no if’s ands or buts. It’s unacceptable. I won’t support corporate grifters, especially those who let sockpuppets speak for them.

Krymalis said:

August 10th, 7:16 am

Sorry, late to comment. Too busy playing P4 Arena. Awesome game. My kids love playing Teddy, he is just as hilarious as he was 4 years ago. Thanks again Atlus for another stellar release!

CaptainJames99 said:

August 10th, 12:53 pm

Do the math: DRM = LOST SALES.