PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

PlayStation All-Stars: Kratos and Radec Strategy Videos

Paul Edwards's Avatar + Posted by Paul Edwards on Aug 07, 2012 // Lead Combat Designer, SuperBot Entertainment

Hi everyone! I’m responsible for bringing everyone’s favorite Spartan warrior, Kratos from God of War, into our world of ultimate crossover fighting with PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. SuperBot Entertainment was incubated within Sony Santa Monica Studio, and their feedback and involvement ensured Kratos’ transition from his game to ours was smooth. One of the biggest challenges was taking this immensely powerful god-killing character from a single-player game and try to balance that design within a multiplayer fighting game.

To get you a better feel for Kratos’ combat strategies ahead of the public beta later this fall, we’ve enlisted SuperBot’s Game Director Omar Kendall and PlayStation.Blog’s Sid Shuman to give you a breakdown of Kratos!

We wanted to pay proper homage to Kratos, so the approach we took was to have his playstyle reflect some of the most iconic weapons in God of War, such as the Blades of Chaos and Apollo’s Bow. And we wanted his Supers to revolve around his ultimate weapon, the Blade of Olympus, and even have him grow in size to pay homage to his initial transformation into the God of War. As a result, Kratos is primarily a short-to-midrange fighter that has high combo potential. We knew Kratos would be a very popular character to play as by a wide arrange of different players, so we wanted him to be a simple character to pick up for beginners while having a lot of depth for more advanced players to explore.

But that’s not all! Colonel Radec from Killzone 2 is an iconic PlayStation villain who will also feature in PlayStation All-Stars as a playable character thanks to the efforts of Senior Combat Designer Edward Ma who was responsible for Radec’s character design in our game.

Radec was one of the first six characters we created, and he’s focused on long-range combat. We’re big fans of the Killzone series and wanted to include as many of the signature weapons as we could in PlayStation All-Stars. In Killzone 2, Radec wields unique Helghast tools such as his cloaking technology and combat knife, so we made sure to incorporate those abilities in his PlayStation All-Stars appearance. In our new video above, Omar breaks down key Radec strategies so players can get a head start on the competition!

We designed Radec’s gameplay around the idea that he is this character who controls certain spaces very well; namely, the entire horizontal space in front of him as well as the diagonal spaces in front of him. His VC32 Sniper Rifle (Forward + Triangle) and his VC21 Boltgun (Neutral + Circle) are two of his main weapons for controlling space far out in front of him. Opponents who try to close in to avoid these projectiles will either block them (free AP for Radec!) or jump over/roll through them. That’s where Radec’s other moves come in handy. Moves such as the TR-X Teslite Grenade (Forward + Circle) and the Grenade Drop (Down + Square) create an obstacle course for incoming opponents to fight through when thrown out preemptively. Being strongest at far range, he’s definitely weakest at close range when compared to most of the cast, so his limited melee attacks are meant to push opponents back out if they manage to close in on his position.

Stay tuned! We’ll have more PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale strategy videos to share soon. Which character are you most excited to play as? Let us know in the comments!

PAGE 1 2

+ DZORMAGEN on August 7th, 2012 at 8:10 am said:

Will the Beta be updated with more characters?

+ AriesWarlock on August 7th, 2012 at 8:11 am said:

Hey Paul, videos like these are really cool. I enjoyed them. Effectively, I am most excited to play Kratos first.

One question, any female reveals soon? There’s some Sony properties that could do well here like Jennifer from Primal (yes!), Ellen from Folklore, and of course, Nariko from Heavenly Sword.

+ xCh0z3n-0n3x on August 7th, 2012 at 8:11 am said:

I can already hear those crying and whining about Kratos being “overpowered” NOTHING is over powered….you probably just suck!

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on August 7th, 2012 at 8:14 am said:

I have yet to recive a beta..i hope i can be lucky this week and receive one ..:/ This is one of my most antisipated game of this year..along with Assassins Creed 3 limited edition..LBP vita..and LBP Karting..Hopefully we will see Seth from KZ3..he is the MAIN CHARACTER of the series..im also looking forward to GABE LOGAN and of course CRASH. MAKE IT HAPPEN SUPERBOT!! LOL and Keep up the FANTASTIC WORK!

+ Monterossa on August 7th, 2012 at 8:14 am said:

TBH I’m not impress with this game roster.

+ Type-F- on August 7th, 2012 at 8:17 am said:

I wish the game would be more challenging by taking away AP from other player by each hit instead of only grab. Also Cole’s level 3 seems to be the whole screen but correct me if I’m wrong there’s no scape for it right?

+ Valde_zerocool on August 7th, 2012 at 8:18 am said:

I was going to start with Kratos as well, there are so many moves and it looks like there is alot of hard working going into this game, great job so far. I did not like the camera angles that were going on there.

I also can’t wait for the PS+ beta!

+ gamer_316 on August 7th, 2012 at 8:18 am said:

PS All-Stars Vita beta plz?

+ xCh0z3n-0n3x on August 7th, 2012 at 8:21 am said:

@5 Dont get too far ahead of yourself, they have never said these are all it.

+ itsJose on August 7th, 2012 at 8:26 am said:

Wish this was posted last week, so I could have prepared to play it at the Playstation tent at Lollapalooza! The game is extremely fun guys! I’m looking forward to it! Lets get a PS3/Vita game bundle and save some people some cash. ;)

+ bball230 on August 7th, 2012 at 8:31 am said:

@SuperBot

Remember What made Other games of this genre type successful on other platforms is that it was fun for EVERYONE to play, meaning boys and girls, men and ladies. There are hardcore characters and Likeable friendly, cute characters that are well known to almost everyone.

Ive seen a lot of hardcore support and i love it, but my girlfriend wouldnt find it fun if she doesnt know any of the characters, or find them recognizable and cute.

I know this is a big family game title.. so im just trying to help with a friendly suggestion/reminder.

Thanks! keep up the great work!

+ DZORMAGEN on August 7th, 2012 at 8:33 am said:

I’m most excited to play as Crash Banicoot, and Sypro! ;)

+ NinjaQ9000 on August 7th, 2012 at 8:41 am said:

Radec is going to be the campiest character ever. XD

+ megacarlos on August 7th, 2012 at 8:56 am said:

Game should include damage kills not just special kills then this game would be fun playing online fatprincess and sly have the best multi kill specials

+ Butters360 on August 7th, 2012 at 9:05 am said:

Loved the Private Beta. Looking forward to the Public Beta. Much thanks for that Kratos video.

+ tusunami on August 7th, 2012 at 9:17 am said:

Can’t wait for the beta, since i’m a Ps Plus memmber & all yeeeaaah!!!!!!!!!!!

+ LuiSpartanMIMIMI on August 7th, 2012 at 9:30 am said:

If Sony don’t choose Gabe Logan for this game, I’ll hate Sony for a long, longe time!

It’ll be a shame seeing how Sony used the character for 8 years, and other characters like Parappa and Fat Princess are not that used and are in the game!

Think about it Sony! Think about it!

+ Apeman24 on August 7th, 2012 at 9:43 am said:

I hope the characters I like, “cloud” for instance do not have the automatic kill lvl3 super. Although those are pretty to me, they are very uneffective some lvl 2 supers will get more kills, and Nathan Drakes lvl1 can even match the ammount of kills the autos get. How about no more auto supers, please?

+ Apeman24 on August 7th, 2012 at 9:47 am said:

Oh I have got an Idea. Each character gets two lvl3 supers, one auto kill, and the other a skill one. That way you won’t turn away any players who like the character, but hate the auto kill lvl3. This way everyone is happy. Like I will be if you do this. Thank you and keep up the good work.

+ FNF420 on August 7th, 2012 at 9:51 am said:

when are you guys going to tell us some more character. i have to get excited about this game some more.

+ cosmis_chaos on August 7th, 2012 at 10:03 am said:

@ megacarlos. People who have actually played the game says it works just fine. Maybe you should actually play it before criticizing the game.

@ bball230. Too bad. Sony characters are not all squeaky or misshapen or puffballs like SSB. You and your girlfriend will just have to deal.

+ Figboy on August 7th, 2012 at 10:33 am said:

He’s been my main for the entirety of the beta. I love Kratos to death. I love his versatility, and he really is a kind of pick up and play character, with a lot of tricks up his sleeve. Awesome job, guys!

+ DOOMkillz on August 7th, 2012 at 10:37 am said:

RADEC. Nuff’ said

+ Ganryu_GDM on August 7th, 2012 at 10:49 am said:

Crash? Crashhhh???? Crashhhhhhhhhhhhhh????
CRASHHHHHH?!?!?

+ RadicalEnigma on August 7th, 2012 at 11:24 am said:

The game is looking fantastic so far, and the beta was pretty fun, but even after seeing the rumored “leaked” character roster, I feel you guys could use a little bit more female representation in there. Having Nariko (probably) be in there would be cool and all, but there’s gotta be some other Sony games you can get some more females in with? Ellen from Folklore? Kat from Gravity rush? I could probably think of some others, but you get my point. Just some food for thought.

But interesting posting strategies on these two….I was just thinking from the beta that these two felt like the best characters out of the private beta roster…not that it’s a bad thing, but they were a little easier to pick up than the other characters IMO. But I had some good matches with Parappa and Fat Princess too. :)

+ Ganryu_GDM on August 7th, 2012 at 11:25 am said:

Omar wrote :

“First and foremost, it’s a celebration of a storied history of great characters and rich worlds brought together in one game. And for us, there’s no better way to celebrate than by creating an experience that players can sit around one screen and enjoy together.”

How can It be a Playstation celebration without Crash and Cloud? Thats make no sense…

+ freshprincepbg on August 7th, 2012 at 11:34 am said:

Just please have better characters than the leaked roster. The 3rd party choices have been awful.

+ OMEGA_MEXICAN on August 7th, 2012 at 11:35 am said:

Great job Superbot, these vids get me even more hyped up to play this game. I can’t wait to see more! =]

Paul Edwards's Avatar

+ Paul Edwards on August 7th, 2012 at 6:21 pm said:

Glad you enjoyed them. Expect more in the near future!

+ DoodyPie_Johnson on August 7th, 2012 at 11:36 am said:

Does anyone filming for the Playstation Blog know how to use a tripod? I must be considered old school when it comes to shooting techniques.

+ Robbie_G_lrish on August 7th, 2012 at 11:49 am said:

@25 You’re right, they have a ton of female characters they could choose from. Like you said there’s Ellen (Folklore), Kat (Gravity Rush), Rose (Legend Of Dragoon), Jeanne (Jeanne D’Arc), Kai (Heavenly Sword, I like her more than Nariko), Aya Brea (Parasite Eve), Elly (Xenogears), and it goes on and on.

+ RadicalEnigma on August 7th, 2012 at 11:58 am said:

@30 Ohhhhh, almost forgot about Jeanne, Jeanne D’Arc was one of my favorite PSP games from back in the day! She would be super coolies too. And as much as I would like to see Aya and Elly in there, I highly doubt they would just because it seems like SquareEnix is really bad about “spreading the love” and getting them to give rights to any other project is like pulling teeth. Remember the FFVII LittleBigPlanet costumes that came like… a year and a half or two years later after they first announced them? So we probably shouldn’t hold our breath.

But I guess I shared point of view would be: SuperBot, you have options for more female characters. Make it happen! =3

+ mystery_fish67 on August 7th, 2012 at 12:33 pm said:

Incredibly excited for this game I really want a beta code I have PS+ so maybe I’ll get lucky

+ Markus on August 7th, 2012 at 1:15 pm said:

These videos were very informative. Particularly for those of us who have yet to play it. I hope there will be more for the rest of the roster! :) The only thing is that the second video didn’t really explain Radec’s supers very well. It looked like level 1 and 3 are the same…

+ Markus on August 7th, 2012 at 1:16 pm said:

also, looking forward to gamescom!
*crosses fingers for nariko reveal*

+ TensaZangetsu190 on August 7th, 2012 at 1:17 pm said:

This^ Incredibly excited for this game Kratos & Radec’s combos equals epic! I really want a beta code I have PS+ so maybe I’ll get lucky.

+ D-Squad3 on August 7th, 2012 at 1:19 pm said:

Please do these videos for EVERY character!

Loving the Beta so far, will there be any characters that can execute a super mid-air?

Paul Edwards's Avatar

+ Paul Edwards on August 7th, 2012 at 6:24 pm said:

More videos to come soon! And no, supers cannot be executed in mid-air.

+ Zezzler on August 7th, 2012 at 2:19 pm said:

Really loving all of he PS All-stars coverage and news!
some characters i’d really like to see are Viewtiful Joe, Lightning, Toan/Max, Kiryu Kazuma, and Solid Snake!
and stages i’d like to see are a Katamari Stage, a ModNation Racetrack, Traverse Town, and The Midnight Channel.

I’m loving what i’ve seen so far and can’t wait to see more! Thanks SuperBot!

+ navy_flip on August 7th, 2012 at 2:34 pm said:

I can’t wait to see Jak and Cole’s move breakdowns. I’m loving the way you guys are making the characters authentic to their own games.

Paul Edwards's Avatar

+ Paul Edwards on August 7th, 2012 at 6:40 pm said:

That’s exactly what we’re going for! We want fans to have a strong sense of familiarity when picking up their favorite character in PASBR so that they feel right at home playing as said character. Jak plays great – you’ll enjoy him for sure.

+ SHINSPIKES on August 7th, 2012 at 2:45 pm said:

Every fighting game deserves tips like these. Thanks.

+ IceColdKilla44 on August 7th, 2012 at 2:55 pm said:

Having a blast kicking butt with Kratos in the beta. Thanks for a code, SuperBot!

Hopefully the Vita version is just as smooth as the PS3 version.

+ FruitySnaks on August 7th, 2012 at 3:08 pm said:

Hey Rey ( i’m assuming you filmed it) I’m a big fan of your work but I didn’t really like the way you shot these videos your other stuff is much better :)

+ myPSismyfriend on August 7th, 2012 at 4:14 pm said:

really looking forward to this

+ Kira_187 on August 7th, 2012 at 5:00 pm said:

Game is looking great, keep up the good work.

+ Pukerat on August 7th, 2012 at 8:20 pm said:

I saw a golf course! Hot Shots Golf needs a character in this game! I nominate Mel.

+ Hooligantuan on August 7th, 2012 at 11:15 pm said:

Kratos is a Greek mythology fanfic Mary Sue and his popularity is a sad commentary on the intellectual void America’s public school systems are creating of the nation’s youth.

+ MarkakaJin on August 7th, 2012 at 11:17 pm said:

Characters that must be in Playstation All-Stars:

Spike (From Ape Escape)
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro The Dragon
Tomba
Lara Croft
Gabe Logan (From Syphon Filter)
Gex
Abe (From Oddworld)
Klonoa
Brave Fencer Musashi
Patapon
Army Men or just one of the guys from Army Men
A Chocobo as a playable character
Croc
Raziel (From Legacy of Kain)
ICO
Kazuma Kiryu (From the Yakuza series)
Maybe that character from PixelJunk Monsters or Eden
Sir Daniel Fortesque (From MediEvil)

and that’s it so far…

+ Sacred_Shadow13 on August 8th, 2012 at 12:47 am said:

honestly this is my must own game for this year, everything about it im looking forward to. the idea of supers to finish people is cool but i love the idea of getting a higher damage % then flying further away like smash bros. quick question, will there be any other game modes that you could hint at such as one that is based on a damage percent or maybe collect coins maybe even break the target?

+ Hooligantuan on August 8th, 2012 at 6:03 am said:

Your Must-Own game for the year is this game and not Borderlands 2?

+ a7xaustin on August 8th, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

GIVE ME KRATOS! man i cant wait to play this, it looks so good. i really hope snake shows up , or raiden. i could only imagine the specials raiden could have .

+ SolduNuts on August 9th, 2012 at 12:34 am said:

This game is looking really good, can’t wait to play.

Sold.