Driveclub

Sound Shapes Out Today, Watch the Launch Trailer

Mathew Kumar's Avatar + Posted by Mathew Kumar on Aug 07, 2012 // Sound Shapes Team

Sound Shapes

Sound Shapes is out on PSN today! It’s the culmination of a long journey for our boss-men Jonathan Mak and Shaw-Han Liem, who worked on the concept for… more years than they probably want me to say before the reveal at E3 2011, and having worked on the game for a year myself now I think I can speak for the whole team when I say we just want you to play it. Like… we don’t want you to finish reading this blog post, or even probably watch the launch trailer we made. We made Sound Shapes for you to play! So when today’s update goes live, get yourself over to the PlayStation Store on your PS3 or PS Vita and pick it up!

The title is $14.99 ($11.99 for PlayStation Plus members this week only) and part of the PSN Play promotion, so if you buy one or more other of the games in the promotion you’ll get an increasing amount of money back. Most importantly, however — Sound Shapes is a cross-play title. Whether you buy it on PS3 or PS Vita, you receive both versions for one price. We cannot stress this enough. We’ve definitely tried to stress this enough. Both versions are yours when you buy it, and all trophies and community levels are shared between them, whether you own a PS3 or a PS Vita, or both.

If you’re looking for more of a general overview of what Sound Shapes is, why not watch our brand-spanking new launch trailer?

If you’re still here, I guess I should recap the information you really need to know, to be sure you’re making the right purchase when you finally dawdle over to the PlayStation Store. So: Sound Shapes is a 2D musical platformer in which every level is a song. You pick up the notes placed in the level to construct the music, but at the same time the creatures (friend or foe) and interactive objects are instruments too. We’ve worked with different graphic and musical artists on each album of level-songs, with the likes of Shaw-Han in his I am Robot and Proud guise, Deadmau5, Jim Guthrie and Beck working with graphic artists like Vic Ngyuen of Capy, Pyramid Attack, PixelJam and Superbrothers. If the game stopped there that would probably have been more than enough work for us but we also decided that players should be able to use these notes, creatures and so on to make their own songs and levels. Therefore we’ve included a full level editor and online community which will allow you to share your creations across the entire world, reaching players on both PS3 and PS Vita no matter which version you’re using.

Oh, and on top of that we’ve also included Trophies (yes, there’s a Platinum). They’re unlocked by conquering Death Mode, which consists of intense platforming challenges based on our main campaign, and Beat School, which hopes to inspire players in the fine art of beat-making by challenging them to recreate a piece of music in our level editor.

Sound Shapes - UnderwaterSound Shapes - Underwater

So, we hope that’s rather a worthy offering for your $14.99, if you’re still dilly-dallying. One of the nicest things for us is that although we’re super excited to have you play Sound Shapes, we’re even more excited to play the levels you create in the community. To be honest, this could be a total win-win. We get to make the game we wanted to make, share it with PlayStation’s community of gamers, and then have them make levels that we get to play? Amazing! (And don’t worry, we do plan to support the community beyond launch with DLC. Not that we’re going to say any more than that for now!)

If you do find you want to know even more about Sound Shapes, check out our website here! But we wish you’d just pick up the game and get to making levels. Come on, it’s your turn, we’ve been making them for ages!

110 Comments

+ Wayndawind on August 7th, 2012 at 10:21 am said:

My whole point is how everyone hype this game like is a triple A and the price is nuts, ya you get it for both ps3 and vita for 1 price but thats still 6-8 bucks. its called gouging. like i said i had a chance to play the beta, if its your type of game you should wait cause im sure this will be one of PSN+ members free games mock my words

+ macy113 on August 7th, 2012 at 10:21 am said:

there missing one review.

+ macy113 on August 7th, 2012 at 10:22 am said:

waynda like hell you where in a beta there was no Beta. the game is worth more than 2$ and its not that much

+ FNF420 on August 7th, 2012 at 10:23 am said:

this game looks to crazy! so im going to buy it today.

+ Remmulak on August 7th, 2012 at 10:24 am said:

Hey guys…it looks like Sound Shapes is up there now. I am downloading it now.

+ versus7 on August 7th, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

heres a secret people. search “sound shapes” on the psn . the game gets there before it shows up on the “new releases” tab they actually added a video but no game yet sadly :/

+ ljc_philjay on August 7th, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

what time is the update coming

+ Undrey on August 7th, 2012 at 10:27 am said:

@macy113 I can’t because I have 2 accounts, one is from Bulgaria (accident) and one is from Europe, I used the Bulgarian one for the Vita, and I can only buy the game with the Europe one, so I can’t get it on the Vita and PS3.

+ macy113 on August 7th, 2012 at 10:28 am said:

Rem you liar
it isnt in Canada yet

+ Joeltron3030 on August 7th, 2012 at 10:29 am said:

Here is my wishlist for DLC!

1. Tool! You guys could make something pretty special with music from Tool and art from Alex Grey!
2. NIN. Industrial dlc pack with help from the masterful Trent Reznor.
3. Deltron3030. Its Del and Automator! Nuff said. Plus Del is a gamer ;)
Just put the game in their hands and Im sure they will sign on!

Oh and of course BAIYON!!

+ macy113 on August 7th, 2012 at 10:29 am said:

wait its up on the PS3 RIGHT NOW but sadly not the VITA

+ Wayndawind on August 7th, 2012 at 10:29 am said:

@macy there was a beta. have you heard of (Closed beta) it is very common. this game should be a Mini. and there will never be a blog with only positive comments, its called an freedom of speech, its america bioches.

+ Remmulak on August 7th, 2012 at 10:30 am said:

@macy113: I am downloading it right now for the Vita in Canada

+ Remmulak on August 7th, 2012 at 10:31 am said:

@macy113: You are right…not found on the Vita itself but on the PS3 store, I am downloading the Vita version and PS3 version.

+ macy113 on August 7th, 2012 at 10:31 am said:

Waynda sorry im in canada so its not america.

Rem its not on the Vita Store but its on the PS3 store

+ macy113 on August 7th, 2012 at 10:33 am said:

if I buy it on the ps3 well it be on my vita?

+ Remmulak on August 7th, 2012 at 10:34 am said:

@macy113 – Yes…you can see it on the Vita. Quicker to download on the PS3 and transfer it over….for me anyways.,

+ macy113 on August 7th, 2012 at 10:35 am said:

its updated on the vita nao

+ macy113 on August 7th, 2012 at 10:36 am said:

one GB? holy.

+ Remmulak on August 7th, 2012 at 10:37 am said:

@macy113 – one GB…yeah I said the same thing …wow

+ BrianC6234 on August 7th, 2012 at 10:45 am said:

What’swith the haters on here? If you don’t want the game don’t buy it. Someone said this game got bad reviews. Metacritic has it at 81. The two low scores are 70. They probably expected too much or something. This should be a great game and it isn’t very much money and you get two games if you have a Vita and PS3.

+ versus7 on August 7th, 2012 at 10:45 am said:

im downloading right now :D this is gna take long >.>

+ Curtisio on August 7th, 2012 at 10:45 am said:

I try to ONLY buy games that are essential. This game is essential.

Nice I can play on the big screen on my PS3. I’m going on vacation for a week and taking my Vita. This is perfect!

… and essential.

+ ImPaCTxX- on August 7th, 2012 at 10:48 am said:

ITS OUTTTTT!! DOWNLOADING NOWWW

+ shades909 on August 7th, 2012 at 10:48 am said:

Personally i find it really hard to spend money on game like this when this doesn’t look much better then some flash game i played before and they were free…

+ mastorofpuppetz on August 7th, 2012 at 10:50 am said:

People like Monterossa is Everything thats WRONG with todays society. Just play/watch/listen to the same generic repetitive big budget advertised products they see on TV or hear about. God forbid devs get creative, try different things and be creative and create unique experiences like this.

Gaming needs MORe creativty and chance taking not less.

+ macy113 on August 7th, 2012 at 10:57 am said:

my download is at 300 :D

+ ImPaCTxX- on August 7th, 2012 at 11:03 am said:

@shades909 watching this video makes it look like a simple flash game. you need to watch other videos…like the deadmau5 level being played. as you progress through each level you get musical notes, and they add to the beat, and by the end you have the full song playing and it just looks amazingly fun. and it has a full create mode where you can make your own musical levels..and the type of music you can make from these beats is just amazing. this video really does make it look simple

+ Old_PopTarts on August 7th, 2012 at 11:23 am said:

Ughhh the whiners in here today. How can you possibly dislike something you have not yet played? Even if you were in the “beta” that was the unfinished game.. Yes this game had some marketing and people are responding to it like a AAA game because it is UNIQUE, innovative and there’s nothing like it on the market. The reason why there are soo many re-hashes and over-saturation of shooters and the like are because of corporate big wigs going the way of “safe” and are not investing in unique concepts such as this because of customers JUST LIKE YOU. How the hell do you complain about a game you can get for 15$?? Not on one, but TWO systems.

+ lisatsunami on August 7th, 2012 at 12:26 pm said:

I’m pretty sure that 99% of D-bags who cite freedom of speech have never read the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, or could even identify the preamble. The First Amendment is a limit on Congress. Sony is a company & can ban or censor any of you trash mouths any time they want.

I think because Playstation is free to join there are an inordinate number of whiney, demanding brats here. Luckily school should be starting soon & these 12 year olds won’t have so much free time.

I agree with those of you that said we love that Playstation continues to offer a wide range of gaming genres, genres that simply don’t exist on other consoles. But you can still get all the same mass market commercial games too.

+ CyPhErLoUs on August 7th, 2012 at 12:50 pm said:

How do I get the trophies on here? I’ve played through three albums so far and none of them are unlocking.

I’m playing the PS3 version by the way since I sold my Vita.

+ D-Squad3 on August 7th, 2012 at 12:57 pm said:

SOUND SHAPES!!!

+ macy113 on August 7th, 2012 at 1:28 pm said:

I just played through Beck’s Soundtrack. it was amazing

+ alx681 on August 7th, 2012 at 2:09 pm said:

@ 80
there is only 1 trophy related with the basic campaign and thats to finish it. all other trophies can be earned in death mode and beats mode.

+ TallCrowe on August 7th, 2012 at 3:18 pm said:

I got it, and it is incredible.

+ CyPhErLoUs on August 7th, 2012 at 5:32 pm said:

@84 sure enough I started getting them after finishing campaign and Beat School. Death Mode is friggin hard after a few levels.

Hard trophies, just like I like them, and as they should be in all games.

+ Tchanku on August 7th, 2012 at 7:08 pm said:

Cards on the table, i preordered this on a whim thinking it would probably be awful…This game is Awesome and Addictive. Well done.

+ jackwhitefoot on August 7th, 2012 at 8:14 pm said:

Cannot wait to pick it up. When I get a PS Vita around Christmas, I will download the copy that comes with PS3 vesion.

+ xzile on August 7th, 2012 at 10:35 pm said:

I was going to pass this one up, but the positive comments enticed me to try it out. I must say the positive comments were totally correct. Thanks guys for the positive feed back. I am really enjoying this game. Now to get back on it. I highly recommend this game if you have an open mind and love for new experiences.

+ Kchow23 on August 7th, 2012 at 10:52 pm said:

Awesome! I’ve been waiting for this game since I got my PS Vita… Congrats on the launch of an awesome game and I hope Queasy games keeps on creating more games for PS Vita and PS3.

+ jaleel069 on August 8th, 2012 at 6:22 am said:

I stayed up all night playing Sound Shapes O.o

+ remanutd5 on August 8th, 2012 at 6:25 am said:

wow this game is surprisingly good!!! really good, im loving every second of it on my psvita.

+ TheChopper1209 on August 8th, 2012 at 6:40 am said:

I’m really loving this game. Everything on it is pure beauty. The level design, minimalist visuals, outstanding soundtrack and the tools for level editing and making music are just perfect.

But I think this should stayed on Vita only. Vita needs exclusives like this.

+ remanutd5 on August 8th, 2012 at 6:41 am said:

at 93 YESSSSS, PSvita needs its own original exclusives.

+ TonyTough on August 8th, 2012 at 6:42 am said:

This game is really fun. One really nice option in the create mode is the ability to overwrite some of their Default drum and bass patterns/beats. Simply put down the object (laser drum for example), select it and Hit R2 (for ps3) or the red icon (for vita) and start recording your own pattern/beat. Pretty slick. Awesome game.

+ remanutd5 on August 8th, 2012 at 7:49 am said:

hey guys im stuck in Hypoglacia level, where there are two chains and a monster in between them, how do you get to the second chain?

+ TonyTough on August 8th, 2012 at 7:53 am said:

@96… if its the one i think it is, you have to basically lower the first chain close to the bottom, swing back and forth, and make the jump. good luck.

+ remanutd5 on August 8th, 2012 at 8:07 am said:

thats what i’ve been doing but i’ve never get to the other chain lol

+ TonyTough on August 8th, 2012 at 8:26 am said:

@98 well maybe you have to hold the jump button longer? it does make it go farther when you do that.

+ remanutd5 on August 8th, 2012 at 9:04 am said:

oh my god thanks a lot man