Star Wars Battlefront

Aug 09

Ragnarok Odyssey

Ragnarok Odyssey on PS Vita is a Giant-Smashing Good Time

Brittany Avery's Avatar Posted by Brittany Avery on Aug 09, 2012 // Production Assistant, XSEED Games

Ragnarok Odyssey for PS Vita

Hey guys! How are you? You’re doing awesome, you say? That’s pretty awesome, I’m doing awesome myself. And you know why? Because I’ve been playing Ragnarok Odyssey for PS Vita. In English.

[Insert gasps of excitement here]

Are you ready to stand taller than giants? You should be, because that’s what this game is all about. One day, a passage along the Millennium Peaks gives humans access to the long-sealed off Sundered Land, and because they’re really lucky, it’s filled to the brim with mighty beasts that seem to want nothing more than to destroy mankind’s territory — Trogdor-style. Only they’re not dragons with handsomely chiseled arms, they’re ugly Giants. Giants who like to smash things.

Ragnarok Odyssey for PS VitaRagnarok Odyssey for PS Vita

That’s where you come in. You’re a mercenary on the front lines, and once you choose your sex, job class, and how cute you are (by way of hair style/color, skin color and voice type), you’re ready to drop in on Fort Farthest like a bat out of hell. And don’t worry, you’re only restricted to your default job class for a short time — you’ll soon be able to go from hacking and slashing as a Sword Warrior to creating miniature explosions as a Mage with a mere wardrobe change. And even that won’t be a limitation soon enough, because I’m sure some of you would prefer to be dressed like you just walked out of a western while whacking things upside the head as a Hammersmith, right?

Ragnarok Odyssey for PS Vita

There are myriad lands with different environmental themes to discover in the Sundered Land, each with their own badass brand of monsters and Giants waiting to put their jaws (or slime — actually, that sounds kind of wrong, just go back to jaws) around your pretty little head. Accompanying these landscapes is a combat system that’s fast-paced and all-over-the-screen in the best kinds of ways. Battle your enemies using an arsenal of weapons at your disposal depending on your class, building what the title calls “tension” — the more tension you build, the more powerful, flashier and just all-around more awesome your specialized attacks will be. Thrust your enemies into the air, leaving them defenseless to your blows, or use the knockback ability to drive them clear off the screen.

Ragnarok Odyssey for PS VitaRagnarok Odyssey for PS Vita

What else does this game have? Well, there’s certainly more. Way more than I could possibly explain in one blog entry. But for now, I’ll leave you with one more fun fact: remember the beloved Porings in Ragnarok Online? They’re back. And you can wear them. On your head. So now that that little gem’s been unveiled, be patient girls and boys and we’ll talk again soon, okay?

+ DarktaxFA on August 9th, 2012 at 10:23 am said:

thinking about getting this imported from the u.s on amazon will i be able to use the dlc if i buy it on my u.s psn account and then try play it on my e.u version i got netflix using u.s account but not sure if works dlc wise

Brittany Avery's Avatar

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 1:41 pm said:

That might be a better question directed towards Sony, but theoretically, if the account you have on your Vita is a U.S. account, you should be able to download and play North American released DLC without any problems. Don’t quote me on it, since like I said, it might be better to ask Sony about that one!

+ JKar275 on August 9th, 2012 at 10:25 am said:

I’m very happy to see that there will be a demo for this game!!!

I’d like to see more RPGs for the Vita – especially a sci-fi RPG similar to the Mass Effect series.

Brittany Avery's Avatar

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 2:13 pm said:

The RPG lover in me also craves for RPGs for Vita :> We hope you enjoy the demo and the full game!

+ furlowguy134 on August 9th, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

when will the next line up of psp games hit the vita and wats the word on psones coming to psvita plz let me know

Brittany Avery's Avatar

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 1:42 pm said:

I’m not sure about that, but our PSP title Unchained Blades is now up in the Vita store as of August 7th!

+ iriihutoR84 on August 9th, 2012 at 10:34 am said:

Are there any plans for a limited edition for the game? Will pre-order once I know!

Brittany Avery's Avatar

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 1:44 pm said:

No promises, but we’re definitely looking into it! ♥

+ blewjayy on August 9th, 2012 at 10:36 am said:

I have one question, GameStop and EB Games are doing pre-orders for a “limited edition” of this game. Is this game really going to have one, or are they doing these without a confirmation from you guys?

+ BlooodyCow on August 9th, 2012 at 10:36 am said:

@!Brittany Avery
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question. Just to let you know, I will be getting the digital release.

One question regarding the digital release. Will there be a pre-order program for the digital release?

Brittany Avery's Avatar

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 1:49 pm said:

No problem! I like being able to answer questions.

As far as we know, no pre-order programs for the RO release! That’d be completely up to SCEA.

+ iTofuMan on August 9th, 2012 at 10:40 am said:

I have been waiting on this game since it has been talked about! as a fan of the series its something i have been wanting for awhile! Anyway while its nice and all im a bit sad that the demo is coming after the release of the game, i honestly dont understand the point in that. i really wanted to get the fell of the game/controls before actually buying it, but oh well. Also i hope the release isnt too far off of the place holder dates. i dont think i can wait say end of 2012/2013 just for this game.

+ mastorofpuppetz on August 9th, 2012 at 10:58 am said:

Can you play this game Solo like a SP RPG? I like single player story experiences with my RPG’s not online or co-op.

Brittany Avery's Avatar

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 1:49 pm said:

There’s a single-player mode and a co-op mode, so don’t worry!

+ mastorofpuppetz on August 9th, 2012 at 11:01 am said:

RPG’s are great but Vita needs more western RPG’s like Skyrim, good dungeon crawler, dark souls would be epic.

+ hvonk13 on August 9th, 2012 at 5:54 pm said:

I NEED this game ASAP. I have been getting myself hyped time and time again in anticipation of this game. I really just wish we knew the release date so I know when I can get my hands on this masterpiece. I will get this game the very same day it is released in the U.S. Cannot wait, been a huge fan of the monster hunter series and this game seems like it will feed my need to kill monsters. I seriously cannot wait for this game.

+ iriihutoR84 on August 9th, 2012 at 6:05 pm said:

Any news on Orgarhythm while we’re at it?

+ JuggaloMars on August 9th, 2012 at 6:29 pm said:

Any idea if we’re getting the same demo Japan had or will it be a new one? Either wasy VERY excited to get to play this.

+ Ovan15 on August 9th, 2012 at 6:30 pm said:

@Brittany Avery I know you cant tell us a set date (I understand) but why not XSEED show a little more love with an english demo perhaps? I heard that the japanese demo had over 100THOUSAND downloads. I would love a to get a sample of how AMAZING this game will be. Can’t wait! Pre order copy fully paid off :)

+ chowder_07 on August 9th, 2012 at 6:36 pm said:

Dont you find the game repetetive and what is the pre-order bonus for NA?

+ chowder_07 on August 9th, 2012 at 6:40 pm said:

Will you continually update the game for more missions and monsters or something?

+ Gokuhan_Z on August 9th, 2012 at 6:47 pm said:

I have loved every game XSEED has brought over and this will be a no brainer for me! (as soon as my AC Vita bundle is released anyway…)

But I HAVE to ask… is there any word on Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky – Chapter 2?
Trails is probably my favorite PSP game and I’m dieing to know about the 2nd. Can you at least let us know if it’s in the works? I know it has a TON of dialog and will take time.

+ poisonedsodapop on August 9th, 2012 at 7:08 pm said:

This got my hopes up cause I thought there was a confirmed release date. Now I’m back to crushing despair. RO is the first MMO I played and my first real foray into online gaming (on dialup no less, long story). I can’t wait for the nostalgia rush that will come when I play this with some friends. I just wish it was soon. :(

+ poisonedsodapop on August 9th, 2012 at 7:10 pm said:

I guess I should specify when I say RO I mean Ragnarok Online, since Ragnarok Odyssey uses the same abbreviation lol.

+ killzoneman87 on August 9th, 2012 at 7:50 pm said:

I just now read this blog post and, hearing about this game for the first time, on my laptop saying, “When is the release date? WHEN IS THE RELEASE DATE?!?” O__o

Looking forward to this game already! :D

+ BIGWORLD41 on August 9th, 2012 at 8:05 pm said:

I am VERY excited for this game! Another stellar title in a fall/holiday lineup of “Only On Vita” AAA content. Between the retail releases, and digital content, things for the Vita should really start heating up! The list of titles this year that already have release dates, and have tentative dates is NUTS.

+ ArchAngelMai on August 9th, 2012 at 8:14 pm said:

@Brittany Avery
Fine, than do you know if the PSN price will be $35.99 like most Vita games have been that are $39.99 in stores?
Thanks in advance :)

+ vo-ieohj-er_24 on August 9th, 2012 at 8:30 pm said:

.. will the online features work with Type 3 NAT wifi? Thanks!

+ piratedrunk on August 9th, 2012 at 10:36 pm said:

I will definitely be picking this up. And The Last Story.. and WotS4. I love XSEED.

+ GarudaEagle on August 9th, 2012 at 10:44 pm said:

Is the demo going to be released any time soon for those people who want to try out the game hands on?

+ Sparkz92 on August 10th, 2012 at 12:32 am said:

Can’t wait!!!

+ Nefentina on August 10th, 2012 at 3:15 am said:

I’m more than happy about the news. Been waiting for this game for quite some time now.
Wanted to ask however, if there are planes for Rangarok Odyssey related PSN items? Like avatars, themese…

+ LPHeroLine on August 10th, 2012 at 4:14 am said:

Looks awesome, Xseed! Cannot wait for this game. A friend of mine told me about it and i was skeptical until i saw video of the Jappanese version and i was like: It looks awesome!
Plus, the Vita needs some games! Especially some RPG love. But for those who don’t know, there are a ton of RPG’s on the PSP that can be downloaded to the new, shiny system. I won’t name any because not all of them are published by Xseed, and it wouldn’t be very nice of me to do that since it’s also Xseed’s article. That being said, there are a metric TON of awesoem RPG’s still coming out for PSP in Japan. I’m especially interested in Image Epoch’s ‘Sol Trigger’. Any chance of localizing it and making it a Downloadable title? C’mon, Xseed, be a pal. Look, if it’s bribery you want, then i’m willing to throw wads of money at you!

+ manaka421 on August 10th, 2012 at 5:26 am said:

what is that thing that looks like one of them dragon quest angel slimes that floats next to the bed. my guess is he heals you up

+ Arctual on August 10th, 2012 at 8:07 am said:

Who should we turn to for a European release? Or could you PRETTY PLEASE secure European rights? We want this game over here, too!

+ chowder_07 on August 10th, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

Hmmmmm….Lets see whats on my list
LBP+Ragnarok Odyssey+ACL+Black ops+PS Allstar=Bankrupt

+ Elvick_ on August 10th, 2012 at 9:55 am said:

Thanks for answering my question, glad that the patches will be included in the release.

+ WilburMonkey on August 10th, 2012 at 12:35 pm said:

Can’t wait to find out more! Can you say anything about play time? Can we expect the usual dozens/hundreds of hours delivered by other games in this genre?

+ BlueBl1zzard on August 10th, 2012 at 1:17 pm said:

This game kinda reminds me of Monster Hunter, I’ll definitely be keeping my eye on it

+ GOD_ICE on August 10th, 2012 at 11:51 pm said:

definitely a must buy! now I have a question. Though it might be obvious, I still like an official answer.
1. If my PSN account is US, and I buy the Asian version (as it comes out earlier and the trans are made by Xseed too), in the future, if there are any new DLCs from the store, would it be compatible to my copy of the game?
2. Given the previous scenario that I mentioned, will I be able to play online with a US account? Will I also be able to play with someone with a different version of the game over Ad-hoc (ex. local co-op with my asian version and a friend that have a US version.

Hope you can answer those :D

+ Oisterboy on August 11th, 2012 at 4:43 am said:

Yessssssss I’m very excited for this. I remember playing ragnarok online when I was like 11 years old, but never got to keep it because of the subscription cost. I remember really liking it. I’m excited to dust off my vita, between this and littlebigplanet I’m not as nervous about my decision to buy it anymore.

+ txknight9 on August 11th, 2012 at 9:47 pm said:

So…any release news now? Please! I need Ragnarok Odyssey!

+ DenshaOtoko52 on August 12th, 2012 at 6:50 am said:

will it there be specific ones for each region? or can i connect to other regions as well?

+ Crystalchild on August 12th, 2012 at 9:45 am said:

i am from europe, and since i am A.) looking forward to this game and B.) there isnt a any info for us about it, i simply want to import it.
one question though: if i buy the game, can i play online with americans, or can’t i due to the fact that i only own a german(/European) Vita?

+ capt_fodder on August 12th, 2012 at 6:40 pm said:

Hopefully they are just being coy about the release date because they are going to announce it at Gamescom this week… I need this game yesterday! Or sooner!

+ Jassyn84 on August 13th, 2012 at 1:47 am said:

i dont have vita yet but will get it soon..this game,ac creed liberation and many more are the reason i’m gonna get it

+ Regor91 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:04 am said:

SUPER excited about a multiplayer RPG on Vita. I’m loving everything I see about this game.

+ gabrielh on August 14th, 2012 at 11:12 am said:

XSEEDS are saying that there should be a demo AFTER that the game comes out and a big online retailer (newegg) have a release date of 09/11/2012 and they recently took thousands of pre-orders when they had a $10off pre-order promo so me think release date is in fact 09/11 :)

+ MysteryEvans on August 14th, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

Srsly, we need the game now…i dont want to know the release date.I just want the game NOW.
The vita lacks games…every other game is boring and all they are doing is releasing the same game over and over (disgaea 3, Wipeout, etc)

+ Tsaeth on August 14th, 2012 at 8:37 pm said:

I think the release date would be 8/21 considering that the Playstation site games list for the Vita, Ragnarok Odyssey had the release date labelled as “Fall 2012” until yesterday it was changed to 8.21.2012.

+ x-TAH-z on August 16th, 2012 at 7:36 pm said:

cant wait!! i might even import this from japan!! but one problem.. does the japan version has a english subtitles/menu?!? :D

+ ImPaCTxX- on August 18th, 2012 at 1:43 pm said:

+ MysteryEvans on August 18th, 2012 at 1:51 pm said:

All you guys waiting, the release date for the US version is October 16th SADLY. The Asia version comes on the 21st of this month. It might have English in it, not sure.

+ kingkun880705 on August 19th, 2012 at 9:58 am said:

This game is out in Singapore 16/8/12.. not bad :)

+ GrandMastrBR1AN on August 20th, 2012 at 12:38 am said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IVE BEEN TRICKED! it was supposed to come out on august 21st on amazon but now it has changed to october16th?!?!? WHAT?!?! a whole nother month?!?!?!?!

+ pschodog23 on August 20th, 2012 at 2:20 pm said:

Will this also have a digital copy to download straight from the ps store