PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

PlayStation All-Stars Gamescom Reveal: Dante, Sackboy, Spike, Ratchet and Clank

Daniel Maniago's Avatar + Posted by Daniel Maniago on Aug 14, 2012 // Community Manager, SuperBot Entertainment

Yo PlayStation.Blog readers! Gamescom is finally upon us, and you know what that means: time for some highly anticipated Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale reveals!

We’re thrilled to announce the inclusion of Insomniac’s Ratchet and Clank in PlayStation All-Stars! Given the wealth of tools and gadgets at their disposal, it made perfect sense to us to include them in our roster. This duo is strongest at mid-range, and they can cut off many points of entry with varied angles of attack. We made sure that iconic Ratchet and Clank weapons such as the Combusto Pistol, the R.Y.N.O., and Tesla Spikes are available for players to utilize on the battlefield. Clank joins in on the fight wielding his powerful Chronoscepter, and even Mr. Zurkon can be summoned to lend a hand!

Also joining the cast is Spike from Sony Computer Entertainment’s franchise Ape Escape — a character that was on our radar from early on. We here at the studio have fond memories of the original Ape Escape on the PlayStation, which was revolutionary at the time for introducing unique gameplay elements facilitated by the first Dual Shock controller. The Ape Escape series has cemented itself in PlayStation’s history, and it’s our pleasure to have Spike as part of our roster. He’s a well-rounded character that can compete at close range, or from a distance with traps and projectiles, including the classic R.C. Car. He comes brandishing not only his signature stun clubs, but also peculiar gadgets, crazy weapons, and, of course, apes!

Dante from Capcom’s Devil May Cry has also made his way into PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale! It was imperative that a character with such a rich history and dazzling play style was part of the cast, and Dante fans can finally pit their favorite demon hunter against heavy hitters like Kratos and Heihachi. Dante’s offensive capabilities and mobility allow players to be creative in their assault, ensuring Devil May Cry fans will feel right at home hacking, slashing, and shooting their rivals into oblivion with devastating weaponry and stylish combos.

Lastly, we are pleased to announce that Media Molecule’s Sackboy from LittleBigPlanet is joining the rumble! Fans have been clamoring for his inclusion in our roster, and we’re more than happy to oblige. We had a panoply of items and gadgets to draw inspiration from in forming Sackboy’s moves for our game, so we eventually decided we’d give him a quirky and curious moveset that makes him stand out from the rest of the cast. He can produce various objects, gadgets, and tools that have varying effects when in play, affording him a distinct playstyle that is likely to catch foes off guard. Sackboy can pester enemies from a distance with his Cakeinator, and bounce them back to a non-threatening distance with a bounce pad!

We are also excited to show you our newest level, Stowaways, taken straight from one of the more frantic sequences in Naughty Dog’s Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception. Stowaways is a unique stage that forces players to adapt to both long-range and close-quarters combat. The environment is constantly moving and changing, benefiting those who can quickly adapt. As usual, players can expect this Uncharted-themed level to be mashed up with elements from another franchise — which will it be this time?

PlayStation All-Stars: UNCHARTED - Stowaways

We’re also really excited about the promotional pricing announcement for PlayStation All-Stars that was made at today’s press conference. For all of you that purchase the PlayStation 3 version of PlayStation All-Stars – at retail or digitally through the PlayStation Network – you will be able to download the PS Vita version of PlayStation All-Stars from the PS Network at no additional cost. How awesome is that?!? Now you’ll be able to experience all of the great cross-save and cross-play features that PlayStation All-Stars has to offer on both the PS3 and PS Vita at one great price. So if you haven’t pre-ordered your copy yet, perhaps this news will pique your interest.

That’s all for now! We appreciate the continued support for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale from the fans. We still have plenty more surprises in store for everyone between now and our November 20 release date, so keep checking back for more news!

PlayStation All-Stars: SpikePlayStation All-Stars: Sackboy

PlayStation All-Stars: DanteRatchet_Heroic

Check out all the news coming out of Gamescom 2012 on PlayStation.Blog

Media Molecule’s New Project Revealed: Tearaway for PS Vita

See the First Trailer for Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified on PS Vita

Gamescom: New The Last of Us Trailer

Watch the GamesCom Trailer for Killzone: Mercenary

PSone Classics Coming to PS Vita via the latest System Software Update (v1.80)

Until Dawn — New PS Move Horror Game — Announced for PS3

The Curtain is Raised on Puppeteer, a New PS3 Adventure

PlayStation Plus Coming to PS Vita, Online Game Save Storage Getting Upgraded

Are You Ready for the God of War: Ascension Multiplayer Beta?

+ RukasuSama on August 14th, 2012 at 2:14 pm said:

Where’s Lightning? =(

+ Killaman16 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:19 pm said:

Still waiting on Sir Daniel but seeing Spike on the roster does please me as well as Ratchet and Clank and Sackboy. Dante……………I have to ask, were you guys unable to use the ACTUAL Dante for this or what?

+ Davidgui on August 14th, 2012 at 2:20 pm said:

These characters look amazing as always. Planning on maining Sackboy and maybe Spike.
Can we have an estimate on when we should be expecting the next character reveals? I need more!

+ Gintoki-w on August 14th, 2012 at 2:21 pm said:

Thanks ! Spike looks cool :)

Hope Specter will be next ! as Playable character ofc ;)

Daniel I want to say I send all the information I know and suggestions about Specter attacks on twitter , I hope you got them and I hope that help !

don’t disappoint me, Sony owns Ape Escape so they own Specter ! if he is not in as playable then it’s your Decision ! please guys its only 1 character !

thank you for understanding and responding .

+ Robsonmonkey on August 14th, 2012 at 2:22 pm said:

Come on Superbot we’ve asked nicely, can you please reply and face your fans about the hjorrible decision about including New Dante when he’s not a classic Playstation All Star……because it’s making you guys look like your helping Capcom promote their new game instead of giving what fans what they really want.

Oh for those bashing DMC fans for missing old Dante by calling us “whiners”…..really. It’s not like we called you guys, just the game ¬¬

By the way that LV3 super is silly…..they just put New Dante in a red coat and give him white hair……thats not the old Dante just new Dante in disguise. If SB could do that why didn’t they just add old Dante from the start

+ Type-F- on August 14th, 2012 at 2:24 pm said:

Dante looks a bit Over Power lol…..just a bit those combos seems easy to do and will build lots of AP O.O

Daniel Maniago's Avatar

+ Daniel Maniago on August 14th, 2012 at 2:52 pm said:

Dante is one of the more technical characters in the game and uses a special cancel system to perform combos. Players can alter their attack string mid-combo depending on the situation; for example, you can cancel into a parry to stop an incoming attack, dash out of the way of harm, or transition into a powerful ender for maximum AP gain. You won’t be disappointed when you try him out!

+ angibri2000 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:28 pm said:

Will you guys reveal more stages? I see the screenshot with Uncharted but it has never been revealed.

+ silver-hero230 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:32 pm said:

if u guys r thinking whats with spikes clothes iff u never seen them its from a ape escape game that never came 2 usa its called ape escape million monkeys thats where he got the duel stun clubs and that clothes the huge beam which was used 2 kill the last boss a huge mutant and where that white mokey is from…………. thats all from ape escape million monkeys

+ silver-hero230 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:35 pm said:

i hope overpowerd characters has its ups and downs like dante he has lots of combos but he cant build his special bar as fast as other characters

+ sieg_16 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:36 pm said:

Im so glad that dante is joining the battle, im seriously going to main him but i just wanna know will there be any female leads other than princess. I mean the cast right now is just mainly male characters. I hope later you’ll put good notable female characters in the game.

+ kivi95 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:38 pm said:

75# wHAT?? That’s boring :( I love unlocking characters as you progress in fighting games :(.

+ Detsuki-G on August 14th, 2012 at 2:39 pm said:

First off I just wanna say that I’ve been sold in this game since it’s original announcement and I’ll be playing it extensively on release day. I just have one thing I want explained a bit:

How does cross-buy work exactly? Do I buy the retail version of the PS3 game and get the voucher to download the Vita game? Do I buy the PS3 version over PSN and get the Vita one included also for download? Do I get the retail version of the PS3 game and it comes with a physical cartridge for the PSV version?

I’m interested in getting both version.

+ Detsuki-G on August 14th, 2012 at 2:43 pm said:

Glad to see Spike, another PS1 character, in the game. I hope Sir Daniel is next. :-)

+ harley2947 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:50 pm said:

1. Will characters be unlocked through completing missions? I always have fun playing and unlocking things, or will anything be unlockable?

+ ItsLuigiTime on August 14th, 2012 at 2:51 pm said:

Will there be a way to receive the retail copy of the Vita version for free (or a discount) as opposed to the digital copy? I have a rather small memory card for my Vita and prefer physical media. :x

+ boomstickbhg on August 14th, 2012 at 2:51 pm said:

You understand people have different favourite versions for Dante?

There’s only one Dante that even exists at this point in time!

DmC hasn’t even come out yet so how can a character no one has played/seen in true action/finished product be a favourite?

Dante from DMC 1-4, even if the games have differences, is the same character on the same storyline.

DmC Dante is a character from a game that hasn’t even come out yet.

Why would you include a non-existant character in a roster of all-stars?

That’s like voting someone who just got drafted and sent to A level baseball into the MLB All Star Game because he has the same name as a famous lengend.

+ whatisdelicious on August 14th, 2012 at 2:58 pm said:

Four things:

1) Please, please tell me that Justice “Genesis” will actually be the theme song to the game. That’d be so awesome. YOU CAN’T TEASE ME LIKE THIS.

2) On the other hand, I really hate the Wii Sports-esque announcer. It just doesn’t fit, to me at least. Everything in-game looks great, but some of the sterile Wii Sports vibes I’m getting from the announcer and the menus are kind of bumming me out. Smash Bros. had a deep voice with a lot of manic enthusiasm. I liked that. It had personality. This is clinical. It worked in Wii Sports but this game has way more personality. Deserves an announcer with more personality too. More along the lines of Tim Kitzrow from Jam and Blitz.

+ whatisdelicious on August 14th, 2012 at 3:01 pm said:

3) Sackboy looks confusing as f— to play. Interesting. Dante looked surprisingly fun though.

4) Really hope you guys are at least considering adding a more Smash Bros.-esque scoring and damage mode. Doesn’t have to be the default, but that’s a big reason why people love those games so much and keep bringing it up here. Because it’s super fun. You haven’t shied away from taking inspiration before; why leave out one of the most important parts? Pride? C’mon.

Still really looking forward to this game though. Excellent pricing model.

+ mr_frodo1 on August 14th, 2012 at 3:03 pm said:

Good choices SuperBot! :D Will you guys be announcing a few more characters at the Tokyo Game Show next month :D thanks : )

+ insano_jaco on August 14th, 2012 at 3:06 pm said:

What about Pyramid Head and Gabriel Belmont?

+ insano_jaco on August 14th, 2012 at 3:08 pm said:

at #116

this is a Capcom move for sure

Like Thor and Rocket Racoon in Marvel VS Capcom 3, it was there to promote their movies (Thor and Guardians Of the Galaxy)

+ Yung-Gurt on August 14th, 2012 at 3:09 pm said:

Daniel can you pleeaassseeeee confirm if there is or isn’t a Final Fantasy rep in this game?

+ Ragdoll72 on August 14th, 2012 at 3:10 pm said:

If we buy the Vita version do we get the PS3 version free? I have a 4GB card and would rather have the PS3 version digital

+ Chrono-Cactaur on August 14th, 2012 at 3:13 pm said:

Please, at least have SOME unlockable characters. If you’re worried about tournies, then put in an “Unlock Everything” code.

+ SerrgioAC on August 14th, 2012 at 3:18 pm said:

Thank you for using this Dante. Haters gonna hate!

+ Grider54 on August 14th, 2012 at 3:20 pm said:

this is awsome but i really want 3. Spyro 2. Crash and 1. for them to confirm and show SIR DAN :(

+ NauseousPenguin on August 14th, 2012 at 3:20 pm said:

I’d have to agree with Chrono-Cactaur on this. Next to getting a Platinum trophy, nothing beats the satisfaction of unlocking a brand new playable character. When they’re all unlocked from the start, it feels like there’s a lot less to do. That’s kind of the reason why I don’t play Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 as much as I thought I would.

+ Zezzler on August 14th, 2012 at 3:21 pm said:

@75 response
“1) All characters will be unlocked from the getgo.”

NOOOOOO!!!!!! Don’t do this!!!!!!
I Love unlocking characters from playing through and having that experience of finding out about secret characters! PLEASE Keep some characters secret and at least make a few of them unlockable! It’s one of the things that makes me want to play single-player. I LOVE Unlockables, everyone does. It adds surprise to playing the game.

PLEASE LISTEN TO MY PLEA!!!

+ NauseousPenguin on August 14th, 2012 at 3:22 pm said:

Despite any criticisms I’ve made, if Spyro is playable with his PS1 character design, I really don’t care about the rest.

+ seph1r0th00 on August 14th, 2012 at 3:31 pm said:

This game just keeps getting better and better. I like what I’m seeing from the combo system in all these trailers.

+ DiogoLouro on August 14th, 2012 at 3:32 pm said:

All characters are unlocked from the getgo? Please don’t do this… We need locked characters, unlocking them is part of the fun! No sense of reward by having them all from the getgo.
The more locked characters, the best.

I’m pretty happy with today’s reveals, but I thought you guys would make us a surprise and reveal a non-leaked character. No big deal though, the reveals were awesome! Dante and Ratchet look great!

+ Tchanku on August 14th, 2012 at 3:46 pm said:

Need to ask again, Will digital purchases get the Pre-Order costumes? I’m buying, I just prefer digital.

Thanks!

+ t-cook09 on August 14th, 2012 at 3:47 pm said:

When are the dates you guys are revealing more characters or will we just find out when we get the game.

+ t-cook09 on August 14th, 2012 at 3:48 pm said:

Also while everyone is complaining about the new dante yall are still going to buy it

+ M1K3-1K3 on August 14th, 2012 at 3:55 pm said:

can there b a TIMESPLITTERES character in this game? i love the franchise and it would b great since there is no timesplitters on ps3

+ X-ay00ANT on August 14th, 2012 at 3:56 pm said:

i am a big fan of the game and will be pre ordering it and jst wanting to no if u could do a private match jst with friends and if there will be any handicap matches love the game and great job so far

+ Avalanche on August 14th, 2012 at 4:01 pm said:

cannot tell you how much i am hating the ultra moves that “take up the whole screen and aim thingy” ratchet and clank could have demolished everyone with the Rhyno89000 with a bunch on missles and stuff but this one was very lackluster. i forgot what other characters have this crappy ultra move but its very bad.

+ Nithorias on August 14th, 2012 at 4:05 pm said:

Please I’m begging you lol, add Wander from Shadow of the Colossus!!! And maybe… Big Boss, Adam Jensen, Raziel or Kain, and someone from the Final Fantasy series (don’t really care which one xD) can’t wait to play this game :D

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on August 14th, 2012 at 4:05 pm said:

@105 Robsonmonkey

You wont get an answer because sony & superbot are hoping consumers are too distracted with other characters to notice.

Problem is, they already added a nothing-to-do-with-PlayStation-heritage character, (Big Daddy), and they got at least one more underhand corporate move on the way (Raiden over Snake, Lightning over Cloud)

+ AriesWarlock on August 14th, 2012 at 4:05 pm said:

@Elvick_

The chick from Primal is called Jennifer, and I agree with you, she should be in the game. Primal was one of those Sony games that was unique then. I also agree on Ellen, and Nariko has been confirmed in the leak, apparently.

+ AriesWarlock on August 14th, 2012 at 4:07 pm said:

@Nithorias

Raziel or Kain, I didn’t think about them before, they would be cool, too.

+ Neofire on August 14th, 2012 at 4:21 pm said:

Day one buy!(and i get the vita version too!)

+ Chrono-Cactaur on August 14th, 2012 at 4:30 pm said:

Maybe Clockwork just meant the characters revealed thus far, and also those that are revealed before November 20th?

+ harley2947 on August 14th, 2012 at 4:34 pm said:

Please Answer, this is important.
If I get the PS3 Version, do I get the Vita version whether I get Physical or Digital Copy still, and if Physical, does it come with Digital Copy of Vita Version or also Physical. Also, how much memory will the Digital Vita Copy take? I need to make sure I’ll have enough GB and all that stuff.

+ Wozman23 on August 14th, 2012 at 4:43 pm said:

Glad to see Mr. Zurkon, but I hope you guys didn’t forget the greatest weapon in the Ratchet & Clank universe: the Groovitron. Hopefully it’s an item. I want to see Dancing with the All-Stars!

+ SaBResSTRiKE18 on August 14th, 2012 at 4:52 pm said:

Why would all of the characters be unlocked from the start? It would be better to leave several unlocked; makes it more exciting, entertaining, and engaging.

+ Pukerat on August 14th, 2012 at 4:56 pm said:

Of the four, the only character I’m not crazy for is Dante. I’d happily sacrifice him for a character from Hot Shots Golf, Monster Hunter, Demons Soul’s, Time Splitters, Parasite Eve, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Heavy Rain, Folklore, or Castlevania. Oh well… I have no say in the matter!

If you manage to get a Final Fantasy character, please try to get one from Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, 10, or Tactics.

+ T-Cal on August 14th, 2012 at 5:16 pm said:

Please OLD Dante Costume for DLC

+ jake78655 on August 14th, 2012 at 5:49 pm said:

Nice I wish alucard would make an appearance.

+ stupidhass on August 14th, 2012 at 6:07 pm said:

I came up with an idea for a fps mash up stage and would be for ever happy if it was implemented.
Okay so the idea is a battle field on Helghan and in the back ground the ISA and Helghast are fighting it out. The battle keeps turning in each factors favor when suddenly in the last half of the match Chimera ships start attacking the battlefield and the Chimera ships land and start killing off both the ISA and Helghasts.

Could you please forward my idea for a stage to the guys at Superbot?