PS4-Infamous

PSone Classics Coming to PS Vita via the latest System Software Update (v1.80)

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Aug 14, 2012 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi, everyone. One of the key announcements coming out of Gamescom today is that the next PS Vita System Software Update (v1.80) is coming your way late August, and will add support for playing PSone Classics on your PlayStation Vita. I know a lot of you have been looking forward to playing original PlayStation titles on the go.

In addition, you will be able to make various setting changes while games are running and take screenshots of your gameplay.
*It might not be possible to take screenshots in some applications, or in some parts of applications.

Listed below are a few other new features that will be added with the 1.80 update:

Cross Controller

The new Cross-Controller feature will allow you to use PS Vita as a controller to play compatible games on PS3, such as LittleBigPlanet 2. This feature lets you take advantage of PS Vita’s rich features including the touch screen, rear touch pad, six-axis motion sensing system, and cameras.

To access the cross controller feature you need to launch the Remote Play application and then click on the Cross-Controller icon.

Controls

As many of you have requested, you will now have the option to control the home screen and some features of applications such as Videos and Music with the buttons on the PS Vita system.

Music

Playlists will be supported in Music. You will be able to transfer iTunes (10.6.3 or later), M3U, and M3U8 playlists from a PS3 or a PC using Content Manager.

Web Browser

Rear touch pad operation will be supported by the browser, allowing you to scroll through and zoom out of pages without obscuring the screen.

Video

The following controls have been added to Videos:

• Playback speed control
  • Repeat play
Photos

Viewing photos in MPO format will now be supported, with the ability to transfer MPO files from PS3™ and PC using Content Manager.
* 3D and multi-angle viewing are NOT supported.

Group Messaging

Along with some new layout enhancements, you will be able to take photos to add as attachments when writing Group Messages.

Maps

The Maps feature has been improved by adding a button on the top screen to switch between “Search for Location” and “Search for Directions.” You can also touch and hold a location on the map and place a user flag.

“near”

“near” will be able to gather the information of surrounding Wi-Fi access points without internet connection and update the location data based on it later. You can get location data within the area covered by Wi-Fi location services.

Check back here after the update goes live for more details. And as always, stay tuned for more updates on PS Vita right here on PS.Blog.

Check out all the news coming out of Gamescom 2012 on PlayStation.Blog

Media Molecule’s New Project Revealed: Tearaway for PS Vita

See the First Trailer for Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified on PS Vita

PlayStation All-Stars Gamescom Reveal: Dante, Sackboy, Spike, Ratchet and Clank

Gamescom: New The Last of Us Trailer

Watch the GamesCom Trailer for Killzone: Mercenary

Until Dawn — New PS Move Horror Game — Announced for PS3

The Curtain is Raised on Puppeteer, a New PS3 Adventure

PlayStation Plus Coming to PS Vita, Online Game Save Storage Getting Upgraded

Are You Ready for the God of War: Ascension Multiplayer Beta?

+ David2Crazy on August 14th, 2012 at 12:16 pm said:

Vita needs a Streetpass-style feature. It’s the only reason I carry my 3DS around.

+ boomstickbhg on August 14th, 2012 at 12:17 pm said:

Wow.

This could be a pretty cool update.

Is cross controller replacing the Remote Play PS3 Games option that still doesn’t work?

As of a year ago Remote Playing PS3 games was being advertised as one of the main features.

As a disabled gamer it’s the reason I bought the Vita, playing PS3 games comfortably anywhere in the house/ no more up and down stairs on a bad knee for a video game.

So is Remote Play, one of the main Vita features, ever going to work?

There have been videos online showing that people who hack (dont do it, illegal) the system can already make Remote Play work, so why can’t you?

+ IvanCrashRatchet on August 14th, 2012 at 12:21 pm said:

cool but Price Reduction of the vita!

+ Slaysme on August 14th, 2012 at 12:21 pm said:

Select games? That’s what the eu blog says. Not cool. Not cool at all. I won’t buy a single one now, just wait on the titles I already have to be ” allowed” you have earned my ire, Sony. I defend your floundering handheld, but I can’t defend utter stupidity. You’re going to irk your true fans, while catering to the few who haven’t already bought FF7? Come on now.

I’m shocked at this turn of events. Maybe you’ll want to reconsider before these two weeks pass.

+ ferfurtado on August 14th, 2012 at 12:22 pm said:

Finally! PsOne classics!!!

+ alien_jew_420 on August 14th, 2012 at 12:24 pm said:

nice i’m happy about all this news.

question:

will video apps like netflix/amazon video let me use my vita to control playback? or is it up to the developers of those apps to implement it?

would be sick, i hate how my controller drains away or auto-offs where instead i could just sleep and wake the vita as needed.

+ Aleks_Buckeye on August 14th, 2012 at 12:26 pm said:

This is awesome!!!

+ IIL0YDII on August 14th, 2012 at 12:27 pm said:

Will there be ps1 titles discounts for ps1 support release?

+ BrownBear206 on August 14th, 2012 at 12:28 pm said:

FINALLY!!!! PS One Classics will be coming to VITA!!

+ obxkill3r on August 14th, 2012 at 12:30 pm said:

Awesome can’t wait for this patch it was about time. Also looking forward to the Vita PS Plus bonuses as well in the upcoming future

+ C98976 on August 14th, 2012 at 12:33 pm said:

Very good update!!! I like the fact that you can now control the home screen with the controls

+ MEXRPG on August 14th, 2012 at 12:34 pm said:

I understand that everyone wants something from their VITA but, the two main things I wanted from the very beginning was PS3 Game Remote Play and HTML5 and/or Flash for the browser. This is the whole reason why I bought the Vita. I keep telling myself not to buy an iPad yet, cause they will make the browser better on the vita…

Hopefully either or both will happen soon. I know no one from Sony will reply, cause they never do reply to this but hey, it’s worth a shot. If anyone agrees about either of the two please post something as well, we can always bug the hell out of them and hopefully they will eventually give in.

+ Spidey-guy on August 14th, 2012 at 12:35 pm said:

as it has been asked (and ignored) many, many times…. WILL ALL PS1 CLASSICS WORK DAY ONE?!?!?

The complete lack of an honest, straightforward answer~ leads me to believe it will NOT.
The fact that twice now Sony has just shown a few titles (Tomb Raider/ FF7 ect) and not others such as RE and MGS leads me to believe it will NOT.

Prove me wrong Sony- or at the very least…JUST FREAKIN’ COME CLEAN AND ADMIT IT WON’T ALREADY!

(bet ya all a $20 PSN card this post will also be ignored)

+ gldoorii on August 14th, 2012 at 12:35 pm said:

It’s absolutely sickening that we finally get PS1 support and it’s “over time”… Screw that. Thank god for CFW and a PSP

+ Green-Elf on August 14th, 2012 at 12:37 pm said:

Sa-weet!

+ RoBo_O_G_2 on August 14th, 2012 at 12:37 pm said:

Please tell us all ps1 classics will be compatible day 1?

+ SteveO1683 on August 14th, 2012 at 12:42 pm said:

Next can we get folders?

+ Techni on August 14th, 2012 at 12:45 pm said:

Why is it a second button in remote play to use it as a controller for ps3 games, instead of it just being remoteplay? What’s the difference?

Will you add the xmb back? Lots of people prefer it.

How about a button for a games trophies on its livearea?

+ Techni on August 14th, 2012 at 12:46 pm said:

@david2crazy
it has one, its called near

+ fardeenah_jp on August 14th, 2012 at 12:46 pm said:

finally a good firmware update and not just patch, i would love an option to go to flight mode from the ps button, it would be easy. also more button presses would be nice. but for a first, this is how i love updates…. always a new feature and not increase stability when we all know its patching VHBL or something

+ G-MaN_GLaDOS on August 14th, 2012 at 12:49 pm said:

Did anybody bother to Ask What Ps one Games will be playable as of 1.80?

+ Lara-Croft on August 14th, 2012 at 12:54 pm said:

Im hoping I can finally play Alundra on the Vita YAY! I hope they release Alundra 2 as well :-D

+ shrimpdude on August 14th, 2012 at 12:56 pm said:

Fantastic update, best I’ve seen on almost any device.

One thing about rear touchpad scrolling – it would be nice if you had the option to invert the scrolling direction. It feels much more natural and comfortable to me to pull my fingers downward to scroll down. For the rear touchpad, it just feels more awkward and difficult to push upwards on the rear touchpad to scroll downwards.

I like to visualize the webpages as “wrapping around” the Vita, in which case, pushing up on the front screen and pulling down on the rear pad to scroll down would feel really intuitive.

+ wolfetempest8469 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:01 pm said:

Ok, since no one has mentioned it, other than how amazing this next update for the vita, i think that facebook should notify us via the PSN on our vitas, when we get messages or anything really from facebook. Seeing as skype is not going to release texting any time soon. Thank you again sony…cannot wait for it.

+ Transient on August 14th, 2012 at 1:11 pm said:

Hopefully it’s select PS1 games, as in only those available via PSN as opposed to only some of those available via PSN. Playing games on my PSP is really lame when I have a Vita that is technically capable of doing it all, but for whatever political reason it is not.

+ boomstickbhg on August 14th, 2012 at 1:13 pm said:

I tried your “click here” for more information on this update.

Instead it goes to a page about an old update.

Is this a mistake on your part, or is the site not updated and no one told you?

Eric Lempel's Avatar

+ Maya Butler on August 14th, 2012 at 2:10 pm said:

That page will be updated when the 1.80 system software update is officially released

+ FORMIK on August 14th, 2012 at 1:16 pm said:

Great update! If too late for this, could you keep this in mind for the next update?

Video:
When children use a video player that has a touch screen, sometimes they change what they’re watching by inadvertently tapping something. Could you implement a lock feature, where maybe you can set the Vita to only bring up the touch features by holding down both shoulder buttons? Netflix is great to have on the Vita, so I’d ask that this feature also be extended beyond the video app.

Thanks!

+ Hareesun on August 14th, 2012 at 1:29 pm said:

Hopefully one day they’ll fix the awful aliasing around the buttons and allow the “lock screen” to be disabled.

+ BlindsideDork on August 14th, 2012 at 1:29 pm said:

SELECT PSOne Classics or ALL?

+ Hareesun on August 14th, 2012 at 1:29 pm said:

I call them buttons in the loosest sense of the word. Jiggly bubbles with badly cropped images in – is a better name for them.

+ Enigma777 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:31 pm said:

Is there a list of which PSOne games will be compatible at first? Or rather, is MGS one of those?

+ Ntl_713 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:33 pm said:

A proud Vita customer! Finally I can play Crash Bandicoot and Spyro on my Vita!

+ Deekman on August 14th, 2012 at 1:35 pm said:

According to Kotaku here’s the list of games Sony has announced for initial support:

- Tomb Raider
- Final Fantasy VII
- Wild Arms
- Twisted Metal 2
- Cool Boarders 2
- Arc the Lad
- Resident Evil Director’s Cut
- Crash Bandicoot
- JetMoto

They apparently asked Sony if there will be any more but they have yet to respond.

+ Redikol on August 14th, 2012 at 1:43 pm said:

I don’t have a PSVita yet but as of today, all this news and game trailers and stuff…I’m seriously wanting one!! BTW: The “Cross Controller” feature is AWESOME!! I can’t wait to see what games interrogate that.

+ dom_x8 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:47 pm said:

love my psvita and love this update,awesome features,now we need more apps like tag and wake up club.

+ mavericknrt on August 14th, 2012 at 1:55 pm said:

about time you guys realeased some of the features for the vita

+ Elvick_ on August 14th, 2012 at 1:56 pm said:

You have no idea how happy rear touch scrolling in the browser, and button controls for the UI make me.

+ Neil on August 14th, 2012 at 2:06 pm said:

Firmware updates are the best updates.

+ aro52 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:07 pm said:

All this sounds great.

Next item to work on? Folders. Folders. Folders. Did I mention folders?

+ boomstickbhg on August 14th, 2012 at 2:17 pm said:

Ok so it was your error.

Thanks for updating the post to show that the information isn’t there yet.

+ USCCM on August 14th, 2012 at 2:28 pm said:

Finally.

Finally.

Finally.

This is a happy day for Vita owners. It’s been a long time coming, but finally it is here. And Sony does keep their words. Thank you.

The Legend of Dragoon. Chrono Trigger. Chrono Cross. The entire Final Fantasy series. Wild A.R.M.S. 1&2. Parasite Eve 1&2. Breath of Fire IV. Resident Evil 1-3. Dino Crisis 1&2. The entire Tomb Raider and Syphon Filter series. Crash Bandicoot(s). The one and only Metal Gear Solid.

Oh happy day.

Now Sony go do a sale on all the games I have just mentioned. That’s for making us wait this long!!!

+ cannizzaro on August 14th, 2012 at 2:40 pm said:

So does this mean I will be able to use my PS Vita as my regular ps3 controller and play games with the device so I could be first player and a PS3 controller could be the second player?
The ability to use it simply as a controller for your PS3 is a lot more useful personally then only being able to play a select titles with it, I know most of it comes down to developers and if its beneficial enough to pursue, but Its truly the small things like this that will forever separate Sony from any competitor.
Regardless power to the players!

+ MarkakaJin on August 14th, 2012 at 2:57 pm said:

I hope us Playstation Plus subscribers are able to play our PS1 Classics we’ve earned so far on our PS Vita. Otherwise, it’s gonna suck.

+ Arkanum555 on August 14th, 2012 at 3:00 pm said:

Will the new update fix the problems with Bluetooth connectivity? I am not sure if other vita users had this problem, but, when I used Bluetooth headphones with my vita, I experienced a delay in the audio in relation to the videos I watched or applications I used. It is a small problem, but it is very annoying, and prevented me from using my Bluetooth headphones with my vita

+ USCCM on August 14th, 2012 at 3:02 pm said:

For those asking, here’s what I got from the EU Blog post:

“From 28th August you’ll be able to play select PSOne titles on your Vita. Titles confirmed so far: Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil 2.”

+ Alchemy528 on August 14th, 2012 at 3:03 pm said:

Since Day one of buying my Vita I haven’t been able to “Obtain Location data” using near with my home Wifi.
Will this update fix that problem?

+ seph1r0th00 on August 14th, 2012 at 3:10 pm said:

Now I can take FFVII and CTR with me on the road! Fantastic!

+ Spidey-guy on August 14th, 2012 at 3:12 pm said:

nice.

“stay tuned for more info about PS1 games.”
“soon”
“summer”

I’ll take the side steps as a big fat NO (as well as a finger) to if all PS1 games are day one.

yeah….three games at a time is my guess. every other month or so they will update the list- with games we don’t want for the most part. Hows that PSP BC coming? Can’t wait to hear how “Spec Ops” is a ‘classic’ again.

man…I have been a Sony freak since the Ps days- what happened?- It’s like you guys are calling Nintendo for advice! They may not have your best interest at heart guys.

This ‘Gen’ has been nothing but delays, silence and empty promises!
…and I keep falling for it!
Ps2? got it day one.
Ps2-slim? launch.
Ps3? launch.
PSP? launch.
Vita. one week before launch!

think I’m done with ‘waiting’…..PS4?……kinda doubt it. sorry.