Until Dawn

Aug 14

Screen shot 2012-08-14 at 12.32.09 PM

See the First Trailer for Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified on PS Vita

Dan Amrich's Avatar Posted by Dan Amrich on Aug 14, 2012 // Community Manager, Ubisoft

If you’re a PlayStation Vita owner – or if you are a Call of Duty fan looking for an excuse to become one – you’re going to want to see this. The first look at Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified just debuted at the Sony PlayStation press conference in Cologne, Germany, and now it’s on your internets. Look!

If you want to watch it again, I’ll wait. There was a lot to see in there.

Developed by the team at Nihilistic Software, Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified is what Call of Duty fans have been waiting for: the game they know and love, authentically translated to handheld. “One of Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified’s compelling features is the fact that you can take the established gameplay everyone knows and loves and bring it to the PS Vita,” says the game’s producer at Activision, Neven Dravinski. That means you can look forward to familiar elements like Create-a-Class, Perks, Prestige Levels, and of course, dual analog stick controls.

Black Ops Declassified’s single-player campaign offers covert missions that help bridge the story gap between the original Call of Duty: Black Ops and the soon to be released Call of Duty: Black Ops II, while the multiplayer offers mayhem for up to eight players over Wi-Fi connections. “We’ll have a variety of game modes and maps, including some that are custom made for PS Vita and others that leverage fan favorites from the Black Ops series, but tailor made for PS Vita,” explains Dravinski. Multiplayer game modes include 4v4 Team Deathmatch, Kill Confirmed, and Drop Zone, but Dravinski says there will be other modes as well.

The dev team is making sure that Declassified takes advantage of key PS Vita features, too. The game will use the touchscreen for melee attacks, and for chucking grenades at your foes, and will even let you share loadouts with your friends via Near technology.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified is due out this November, so you don’t have too long to wait to try it yourself. We’re working on a limited-edition PS Vita hardware bundle that comes with the game as well — keep an eye out for details on that! In the meantime, watch the PlayStation.Blog for more info – a deeper look at the game is coming soon.

Check out all the news coming out of Gamescom 2012 on PlayStation.Blog

Media Molecule’s New Project Revealed: Tearaway for PS Vita

PlayStation All-Stars Gamescom Reveal: Dante, Sackboy, Spike, Ratchet and Clank

Gamescom: New The Last of Us Trailer

Watch the GamesCom Trailer for Killzone: Mercenary

PSone Classics Coming to PS Vita via the latest System Software Update (v1.80)

Until Dawn — New PS Move Horror Game — Announced for PS3

The Curtain is Raised on Puppeteer, a New PS3 Adventure

PlayStation Plus Coming to PS Vita, Online Game Save Storage Getting Upgraded

Are You Ready for the God of War: Ascension Multiplayer Beta?

+ Ghost-Rhayne on August 16th, 2012 at 10:47 pm said:

Man, I was underwhelmed with the game but some of the reactions here are laughable and pathetic. Rage of the 13 year olds much? Well done for dealing with some of this sniveling snot Dan.

+ sweetduck15 on August 16th, 2012 at 10:53 pm said:

Wiil there be microphone use. (Headset use) please answer. For we could communicate with our team since its (4v4). If not they should really add it

+ Motolo123og on August 17th, 2012 at 8:37 pm said:

Is there gonna be zombies hope so

+ VI_JUNIOR_340 on August 18th, 2012 at 2:24 pm said:

The game looks ok, but the way I see it now, I personally won’t buy it. Is it possible for you guys to push back the date a little bit so that you may make the game somewhat similar to Call of Duty: Black Ops 2? I would love to get the game, but unfortunately the game does not look like the Call of Duty I have grown to love. Please fix it.

+ ThundericTurtle on August 19th, 2012 at 3:27 pm said:

Honestly speaking, the Vita pride itself on having console-like graphics. Why releasing games like this? If I want to play psp games I’ll play them on my psp. I mean look at Unit 13. It’s one of the earliest release for the Vita but still, its graphics and stuff are way better than this so called COD.

+ GrandMastrBR1AN on August 20th, 2012 at 12:57 am said:

IT BETTER HAVE ZOMBIES if DS can have zombies on black ops this sure can

+ TheChopper1209 on August 22nd, 2012 at 5:48 am said:

I cant believe that Sony es killing yet another franchise giving Nihilistic Software the development of a big name like COD. They already shown that this kind of games doesn’t fit to them, they pretty much ruined Resistance.

I’m not saying that Resistance Burning Skies was a bad game, was just good, but that’s far from what can be expected for a device like PS Vita in quality therms, and far from what can be expected from a franchise so special like Resistance.

PS Vita really needs quality games, Nihilistic Software can’t bring that, they already shown us, so why is Sony doing this? COD could be a game that really boosts the Vita sales, which is struggling right now. The handheld – that I love by the way – can’t stand for another sub par game that carries just a big name on the front cover.

I rather wait for a year if you’re telling us that Treyarch o someone else from Activision is developing this, just take a look to Killzone Mercenaries, developed by the original team and it looks terrific.

Hope Sony is listening to the community.

+ natedogg4556 on August 30th, 2012 at 7:42 am said:

i think the first person graphics are fine, like the gun detail and all but it’s just the surroundings that get me worried. it looks lifeless and dull. when i saw nuketown i it looked like it was on a ps2! what happened to early ps3 graphics? they got us all excited when they first announced that they were making a cod for the vita and now they give us this. i wouldn’t have been that concerned that much with the graphics if they had decent gameplay but only 4v4 multiplayer?! that’s what the limit was for the psp. isn’t the vita suppose to be the next gen handheld? an upgrade from the psp? surely the vita could support better graphics and more players in multi. and on top of that it doesn’t even have zombies. this was a swing and miss for Nihilistic.

NOTE TO ACTIVISION: don’t let amateurs develop one of your best selling franchises only so they can ruin it. hire experienced developers or do it yourself. big disappointment.

they need to fix these problems or Nihilistic is going to be known as a bad developer or they won’t be making any profit from the game.

+ natedogg4556 on August 30th, 2012 at 8:30 am said:

activision should learn from guerrilla games. all of the comments for killzone mercenaries are positive and everybody, including myself, is on the edge of their seats waiting for this game to be released, and we saw barely 25s of gameplay! the reason that game is going to be a huge success is bc they actually have the original team working on it, and it looks great! on the other hand activation just let some unknown amateur take the reins and let them completely ruin one of their best selling franchise! there is only about a handful of people out there who are satisfied with what they’re giving us and that’s because they don’t know the vita’s full capabilities. they’re selling themselves short.

the game looks horrible and it has the same mechanics as resistance: BS which btw was a huge failure. we were all excited for this game on the vita but now they give us this garbage?they should’ve stuck with treyarch. the game plays exactly like the game that got a 4-10 and activision is letting the same people develop their best game. this game is gonna bust, they let us all down.

i don’t know anything about killzone, but since CoD ain’t going nowhere, i don’t think it’s too late to switch teams

+ sweetduck15 on August 30th, 2012 at 8:24 pm said:

Answer my question. Will there be headset use (microphone) answer. if you dont answer i will do somthing crazy and say sony made me do it and ps3 and vita made a animal murderer. So ya

+ flea40cal on September 9th, 2012 at 10:23 am said:

As great as this looks, and as happy I am about having Nuketown wherever I go there is one thing that looks offputtin in the tralier. They seem to only show one side of Nuketown while the other side is cut off. I hope that isnt permanant and that was just a wger match they showed us in there. It just not the same if I cant run around all of Nuketown. I think I can speak for any Nuketown fan when I say the fun would be gone if take away half the space of an already small map.. Please, just let us have that same great Nuketown from the original Black Ops

+ jonas12295 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:43 pm said:

i like it:D

+ cortiz2092000 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:48 pm said:

No offense to the people developing this game but I’ve seen better looking fps games on the ipad ex: Nova 3 and modern combat 3…

But if the developers making this game announces zombies mode then I will buy it, because so far I don’t want to make the same mistake with burning skies

+ vanwinkle on August 14th, 2012 at 1:49 pm said:

Dan, here’s the problem. It’s obviously telling if Activision does not let their own community manager know anything about their upcoming game. If that was the case for all of their games, there would be no need for a community manager. You know a good deal about Black Ops 2, do you not? This is why it’s disappointing that you know nothing about a Call of Duty game in the same universe coming out around the same time. This isn’t a jab towards you, but rather Activision. I believe you when you say that Activision didn’t select Nihilistic as a means of slapping anybody in the face; however, I see it as Activision not even caring enough about the game to do anything with a goal period, even if it is “a slap in the face”. It’s unfortunate for us, because this is a great handheld being treated poorly by a large publisher.

Dan Amrich's Avatar

+ Dan Amrich on August 14th, 2012 at 3:02 pm said:

I have explained this above — often times, I do not see games in development unless I am invited into a media day. Not having played the game…is exactly the same level that the rest of the pro media is at. I am the CM for Activision, not the CM for Nihilistic. I don’t have carte blanche to demand to see things, just like the press — you ask, when they are ready to show, they show. Today, they showed. I know the name of the producer, and I got some Q&A with him, and I shared it.

I think people don’t like what they see and they want someone to blame or something to reinforce their opinion. I get it; it’s not uncommon. But the fact that I have not put hands on a game that was just revealed to the public for the first time is not the smoking gun that people are trying to make it seem. It’s just not the way it works behind the scenes, folks.

+ dumbmanuel on August 14th, 2012 at 1:50 pm said:

will there be zombies?

Dan Amrich's Avatar

+ Dan Amrich on August 14th, 2012 at 3:03 pm said:

Unknown at this time. Clearly not a part of the trailer, but we’ll see if more info comes later. They have not discussed zombies in Black Ops II yet, either.

+ cortiz2092000 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:54 pm said:

Dan just a question and be honest … Are you excited for this game or did u react the same way as other vita owners after watching the trailer?

Dan Amrich's Avatar

+ Dan Amrich on August 14th, 2012 at 3:07 pm said:

Well, I’m always honest — let’s just start there without negative assumptions, okay? And I bought a Vita knowing CoD would be coming out, but it was MK that sold me on the system. But that said, I’m old enough now to know that trailers are trailers, not the same thing as the game in my hand. I’ve seen great trailers for disappointing games and I’ve seen disappointing trailers for great games. I accept trailers as a milestone on a journey; they give you some info, but not what you need to really understand what it is you’re looking at.

So I’m curious to see how this actually plays, and I tend not to get too excited at this stage anyway. Years in the media have led me to seeing games that way: The proof is only there when the controller is in my hand, and I don’t get too up or too down about anything until that point. Even the Black Ops II MP trailer last week, while people were going OMGAWESOME, I said “Hey, remember, it’s just a trailer, we need more info.” Here’s where I said it, even. https://twitter.com/OneOfSwords/status/232896547296276480

So…I watched the trailer. I don’t think I had as strong an emotional reaction as others here, good or bad. Honestly.

+ aro52 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:02 pm said:

Nihilistic really needs to work on their weapon noises.

Hint: ask DICE for some audio files. ;)

+ Airwalkinman17 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:02 pm said:

Scratches head…

… Didn’t get the memo that said Resistance:BS “sucked”
Resistance:BS was by far the best handheld FPS I’ve ever played. I know thats not saying much, cause any handheld fps I’ve played before was totally incompetent. But,
R:BS had great controls, good graphics, lengthy single player, decent storyline.
The minor set backs were:
muted gun fire sounds (why does my bullseye sound exactly like my carbine?), not so smooth MP framerate.

Other than that I thought it was great! I guess some “critics” were comparing it to the elite titles on home consoles and thats why they deemed the title as wortheless.
Whatevs’ people…. While some jaded people are crying bloody murder and not able to enjoy the wonders of gaming I’m gonna keep on having the time of my life lol

+ Squiggle55 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:08 pm said:

@Elvick You are definitely right, Sony put their guys at Guerrilla Games to work on a proper Vita game. And Activision apparently made the business decision not to spend a lot of money on Nihilistic who can claim they have a FPS up and running on the Vita that they can reskin cheap and quick, and just cash in on the Call of Duty name on a console they don’t have a lot of faith in to invest their money. Why should they risk their funds for Sony’s sake? Hey, if that’s the case, it’s a great business decision, but it sucks to be us. Sony apparently has to convince customers to buy the Vita all by themselves, and maybe then the third parties will try.

+ cortiz2092000 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:09 pm said:

106 u should play nova 3 or modern combat 3 on iOS and android and then compare it to burning skies…
They look better and play better

+ cecil322 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:11 pm said:

Can’t wait to pick up this for the vita and black ops 2 for the ps3 going to be great I loved and platinumed resistance burning skies can’t wait pure awesome!!

+ Airwalkinman17 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:23 pm said:

To each his own friend!
I can easily downplay those game by saying the moment you typed “iOS and Andoid” (AKA touch screen) your counterpoint was moot. Its all opinion anyway, but for me the facts are that Resistance:BS had
A. great controls
B. great graphics
C. the storyline was decent.

+ polo155 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:27 pm said:

i loved resistance burning skies and im sure this game will be great too even though i dont play COD im a get this one because on a handheld i can learn it more intermitley

+ dacalo on August 14th, 2012 at 2:28 pm said:

So there will be a Vita bundle with this game huh? Either Sony has faith in this game, or it will be a self-destructing bundle downplaying Vita’s capability. We will see…

+ polo155 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:29 pm said:

+ rubytothemax22 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:33 pm said:

Anyone know the song Such A Shame, by Talk Talk?

Nihilistic Software developing CoD on the PSVita is the PINNACLE of shame. After their GARBAGE work at Burning Skies and KILLING the Resistance franchise, they get chosen to develop CoD? How sad.

Is this a joke? What’s also a shame is that this “Dan Amrich” character in no way understands the situation. He’s never played Resistance Burning Skies. He doesn’t know what an abomination and waste of $45 that game is. To defend and back Nihilistic Software is 100% proof that you’re under their salary.

I still can’t believe it, just why.

+ crowsticky1234 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:32 pm said:

I’m disappointly shocked that Nihilistic Software is actually makin one of the most anticipated Vita game of the year. I haven’t own none of their games but I played them by demos. From their line-up of games like Playstation Heroes and Resistance: Burning Skies, they haven’t proven that they’re great developers. But I can’t blame them, it might be the limited capabilities of the system. I give them a chance.

+ massimodo on August 14th, 2012 at 2:39 pm said:

Nihilistic software? Shakes head. Wow, what an insult. They’re responsible for a game with some of the most scathing reviews of any psvita game. Wasn’t interested in the game to begin with, but, now as the brits put it, they’re having a laugh.

The trailer looks like ass, and the price tag on this sucker is going to be $50. The unmitigated arrogance of activsion. A community manager who knows next to nothing about the game, well, at least he’s getting paid to take the abuse.

+ cortiz2092000 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:45 pm said:

@110 Xperia play has controls so it was not moot ^_^ hehe so nova 3 is pretty I was just letting u know to check em out to show u that those are 2 handheld games that beat burning skies

+ v-X_SHADOW_X-v on August 14th, 2012 at 2:48 pm said:

Is there going to be kill streaks?

Dan Amrich's Avatar

+ Dan Amrich on August 14th, 2012 at 3:10 pm said:

Based on the producer’s comments when I spoke to him, I would be surprised if some sort of streak system is not in this game; that is part of the “language” of CoD MP to me. And so many other familiar elements (create a class, perks etc) are rattled off by him, it seems likely that they will preserve something like that.

+ Trieloth on August 14th, 2012 at 2:51 pm said:

Sorry guys but Dan is the MAN!! I have lots of respect for him. Besides he has a SWORD so dont **** with a man (dan) that has one Period.
As far as the game well I a huge cod fan for serveral years so I will be getting this.

+ THE_SILENCE_ on August 14th, 2012 at 2:54 pm said:

Everyone here knows that Call of Duty for Vita is/was a game that could push Vita sales, but after this trailer I couldn’t believe my eyes. When you hype up the game this much and show a trailer with crappy graphics that alone breaks hearts. Then the only reason most people play cod is for multi player and that gets limited to 4v4 I seriously hope that’s because of Vitas hardware limitations because this small multi player format sounds boring as hell. I don’t even like it in mw3. The show should have ended with killzone the in game clips show a way better job of what the Vita is capable of its easy to see who is putting an effort into making games. Crappy games get crappy sales and the finger is gonna point at the Vita. But I will point back and laugh at NS & Act and show them AC liberation and kz Merc

+ Arcadian_Rebel on August 14th, 2012 at 2:56 pm said:

How is Nuketown an “all new map”? And it’s good to see you guys using the very same exact vehicle model for the last 5 games now, lol.

+ Heavenly_king on August 14th, 2012 at 3:21 pm said:

@ Dan Amrich: Thanks for the early answer. I just watched only the video and did not read the article lol XD

+ XSpike on August 14th, 2012 at 3:24 pm said:

With comment #84, I also want to know. why the only thing in Resistance Burning Skies that actually looked qHD was the weapon selection wheel, and all the intro videos looked even worse then say the unedited intro’s to MGS from PS2 which was SD.

Onto topic… like 99% of people I don’t like the Dev’s they did a horrible job on Resistance and it was probably because they where making both these games at the same time. CoD does seem quite a bit better then Resistance in terms of gameplay but the engine they’re using is limiting and CoD should of been the show peice for the PSVita, which clearly it isn’t as Killzone looks 3 times better if not more.

Seriously everyone at Sony must be shaking there heads in shame after seeing CoD, if anything its Sony who should know that this game should be soooo much better then what was shown. Just look at the specs on the PSVita!! Or just look at Killzone. Anyways the game should have at least 6v6 or 8v8..

+ RenderMonk on August 14th, 2012 at 3:24 pm said:

Let me start by saying, I’m not a COD fan, at all. I think the FPS genre has crushed the gaming industry as we know it. I won’t rant about it, but there’s my short and quick view on it. Now, as for the trailer and situation that has so many fired up….The problem is, this game was announced as and meant to be a system seller. To take advantage of the duel sticks and the “Console in your Hands” approach that Sony went for with the Vita. And one of the pillars of FPS success, is killer photo-real graphics. So, to have the system seller, COD Vita game finally show off it’s first trailer, and it not only doesn’t have killer graphics, it has bad graphics…there’s reason and cause for people to be concerned. I’m not one of them, as I don’t play these games, nor did I plan to by this one. But for fans of the genre/series….this is definitely not what people have come to expect of the franchise, no matter what point the game is at in development. All I can say is, I’m glad this isn’t a title I’ve been waiting for.

+ Luis_ces on August 14th, 2012 at 3:34 pm said:

Come on, you guys didn’t like the #8 comment that Nihilistic is not up for the job?
Just check out Resistance and how this COD looks exactly like it, but without monsters!
I am really disapointed. Good thing killzone looks great though, go check it out Nihilistic .

+ GangstaTroy on August 14th, 2012 at 3:41 pm said:

I will voice my opinion in the matter. The Trailer that was shown today deserves a 3 out of 10 at best. Honestly it looked a giant turd. Yet again for the people who watched the improvements made to resistance in the few months before it released the visuals changed alot. It may very well be possible for Nihilistic Software to improve the textures and shaders in the next few months before release. How ever It was a giant mistake having Nihilistic Software develop it. I dont know anyone that actually would reccamend Restistance BS to anyone. And I sure dont feel confident buying this call of duty game because of it. It might be Nihilistic Software 2nd game but its also a different engine. And i highly doubt they know how to use the engine to its true potential. The Word of Mouth is far stronger then any Franchise or Advertisements. If we the gamer knows a company is crap we will avoid and tell others to avoid the products. I love the fast pace style of call of duty but this game looks like one that I am most likely to avoid. and to Nihilistic Software its not because you guys are bad devs. But fps just is not the genre for you.

+ ShardYu on August 14th, 2012 at 3:48 pm said:

I’ll buy this game if it has Zombies in it. That’s the only game mode I play on the Call of Duty games that Treyarch made. If PS Vita will have it’s own Zombies game(Like in the iOS, but has better graphics) I’ll buy it on day one. :)

+ loveordie04 on August 14th, 2012 at 3:51 pm said:

@126 good comment.

+ GuiltyLopez on August 14th, 2012 at 4:07 pm said:

+ Airwalkinman17

It seems like you haven’t play enough FPS at all.

+ fortune0116 on August 14th, 2012 at 4:17 pm said:

im sorry and im not a troll but everyone has to know how bad graphic wise this title looks? i mean cmon how can uncharted look so good but this looks so outdated?? why is this happening?

+ fortune0116 on August 14th, 2012 at 4:18 pm said:

please sony respond to my comment or at least here your customers out!!

+ kareemhoosaney on August 14th, 2012 at 4:19 pm said:

Only 4v4 :( but still looks good

+ ArchAngeL-777 on August 14th, 2012 at 4:22 pm said:

Dan, how closely did Infinity Ward or Treyarch work with Nihilistic on this title? Did Activision set things up so they could advise Nihilistic on how to capture the current COD experience on the Vita? If so, I think it will be in good hands. Either way, I am going to wait until I see it on an actual Vita to make a judgement.

Dan Amrich's Avatar

+ Dan Amrich on August 14th, 2012 at 5:26 pm said:

Not sure. I am supposed to get some more info soon and I will ask if they got advice, but it’s my understanding that Nihilistic is making the game.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on August 14th, 2012 at 5:30 pm said:

I was ready to make a comment about how you can arguably say that Nihilistic is the worst non indie software developer of all time. After reading some of Dan’s comments, I won’t.

Dan, some of us appreciate the honesty and the understanding from your side. Some of us also appreciate that you do not sound like a car salesman, so thanks for that.

Unfortunately we cannot trust a game made by such a low caliber developer. I was pretty stoked when “COD for NGP” was announced. In my mind I would be able to play some cool online team death match games, some awesome spec ops with friends, and a decent SP campaign. I was already thinking of tethering the Vita to my phone and play over 3G. I even thought to myself, “Well it’s taking too long, maybe Acti will go for broke and support cross-platform play with BLOPS II for PS3”.

That would have been an extremely compelling reason to buy a Vita for me. They could have let the PS3 BO2 users download the Vita maps for free, and then allow cross-platform play on those maps, keeping the reduced player count and lower visual fidelity.

Would have been awesome, could have been something special, but will just be and look like a gameloft game unfortunately.

Dan Amrich's Avatar

+ Dan Amrich on August 14th, 2012 at 6:45 pm said:

“Unfortunately we cannot trust a game made by such a low caliber developer.”

Totally understood — in fact, was never misunderstood. :) Everybody looks at stuff and makes up their own mind. That’s how it always works, and I never tell people they have to like what they see. With this article, I’m not saying it will be good or bad — I’m saying it will be out in November. It’s been quite a hostile environment here today for something that I kind of thought people would take or leave.

+ AWESOMEgamer875 on August 14th, 2012 at 5:32 pm said:

Just gonna go ahead and throw it out there… this almost looks as good as the first Black Ops and also, NUKETOWN.

+ Heatseeker125 on August 14th, 2012 at 5:47 pm said:

It’s not even about Resistance: Burning Skies for me. This company has never made a good game. They’ve made games for PS3, GameCube, Xbox 360, PS2, and PC. They’ve all been crap. No wonder Blizzard didn’t want them to finish StarCraft: Ghost. How this company continues to get rights to big IPs is beyond me.

+ iiONyKz-_MaQuIrO on August 14th, 2012 at 5:51 pm said:

awesome moveeeeee! god this is it! super special for us Ps vita owner cuz this gonna be like COD BLACKS OPS II, plus multiplayer like Resistance Burning Skies! and some of the ACTIVITION Game like with the customstions clases whit the Play Card, scores implementation and all that! And some of this ControllerCross-Plataform(as the map for the BLACKOPSII GAME(for multyplayer & singel modes)) . This game will be Epic! Trhus me.
Right Dan?
If so WoW my money its yours right next week with the preoder offer!
Also tellme can you push them, if so. Make them do better and better all… the way like graphics And functionallys and clases and Perks!! Copy some of this MORTAR KOMBAT Ps vita game That punsh feeling! And everybody will be happy whit the work, Wow! Trhus me, money day one!

SONY Love YoU make this people work for the nextgeneration of handle helmeted periodo!
Sorry for misspelling!