PS4 - Transistor

Watch the GamesCom Trailer for Killzone: Mercenary

Hermen Hulst's Avatar + Posted by Hermen Hulst on Aug 14, 2012 // Managing Director, Guerrilla Games

Today we’re really excited to present the first official gameplay trailer for Killzone: Mercenary at Gamescom. Designed specifically for the PlayStation Vita platform, Killzone: Mercenary is a first-person shooter that makes full use of the device’s graphical and input capabilities. It was built on the same powerful engine as Killzone 3, and it enhances the familiar twin-stick FPS control scheme with touch pad functionality for interesting new gameplay possibilities.

With Killzone: Mercenary, we want to offer PlayStation Vita owners a fresh perspective on the brutal conflict between ISA and Helghast – literally. For the first time in a Killzone campaign, you’ll be fighting alongside Helghast forces as well as ISA specialists, carrying out missions that the regular soldiers just won’t — or can’t.

As a mercenary, you’re free to decide which tactics and loadouts you’ll use to fulfill your contract; your employers will reward you with state-of-the-art weaponry and cold, hard cash as long as you get the job done. But what is the price of that freedom – and will you discover it before it’s too late?

Killzone: Mercenary is slated for a 2013 release. We hope you’re just as stoked about this new chapter in the Killzone story as we are, and we’d love to hear what you think in the comments!

Check out all the news coming out of Gamescom 2012 on PlayStation.Blog

Media Molecule’s New Project Revealed: Tearaway for PS Vita

See the First Trailer for Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified on PS Vita

PlayStation All-Stars Gamescom Reveal: Dante, Sackboy, Spike, Ratchet and Clank

Gamescom: New The Last of Us Trailer

PSone Classics Coming to PS Vita via the latest System Software Update (v1.80)

Until Dawn — New PS Move Horror Game — Announced for PS3

The Curtain is Raised on Puppeteer, a New PS3 Adventure

PlayStation Plus Coming to PS Vita, Online Game Save Storage Getting Upgraded

Are You Ready for the God of War: Ascension Multiplayer Beta?

112 Comments

+ BigGZ4CZ on August 14th, 2012 at 1:32 pm said:

story should be an interesting take on the Killzone universe. I’ll definitely consider buying this especially if there is a multiplayer aspect. I’m happy with all these great announcements at gamescom

+ HaterPolicy on August 14th, 2012 at 1:33 pm said:

Missed the conference, any way i can watch it?

+ Bcrazyman on August 14th, 2012 at 1:34 pm said:

HEY REALLY NICE GAME! WIIL THIS WORK WITH KILL ZONE3? NEED TO KNOW THANKS WILL THERE BE A DEMO TO TRY? ANY WORD ON PRICEOR RELEASE? THANKS GREAT JOB!

+ Enigma777 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:34 pm said:

That doesn’t look like the Killzone game I wanted for the Vita, but… it’s better than nothing, I guess.

+ deltakong on August 14th, 2012 at 1:34 pm said:

I’m confused, is guerrilla games developing this? either way its looking good and i’m looking forward to gg’s new ip, whatever it is

+ Airwalkinman17 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:47 pm said:

WOW!
I LOVE my VITA!!!!!!!!!!
So glad to have one.
Geurilla Games,
Killzone 3 was BLOODY BRILLIANT!!!! It was a HUGE improvement for the series. I really dont understand some of the split between the community over its differences with part 2. KZ3 had bigger environments, a better dramatic story, split screen, better controls, incredible mutliplayer that had me glued for months. I don’t even like multiplayer but MP in KZ3 was so special. It was a personal game of the year for me last year only behind only Dark Souls. Cant wait for KZ: Mercenaries! And if there is ever a KZ4 I’ll be there day 1!!! <3

+ Squiggle55 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:50 pm said:

Please consider leaving out the touch screen prompts/controls from the multiplayer. I won’t mind it as much during a campaign.

+ D-Squad3 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:57 pm said:

New ip from Guerrilla Games please.

+ Richard919 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:51 pm said:

love killzone and love the vita….guess im gonna really like this

+ seph1r0th00 on August 14th, 2012 at 3:07 pm said:

Was hoping for Holiday release but I think that is a whole lot of wishful thinking on my part. This will be awesome, because Guerilla is making it. I will buy this.

+ Zezzler on August 14th, 2012 at 3:10 pm said:

Could this be the game to make me get a Vita?
I LOVED Killzone 2 + 3, and if this is ANYTHING like those, then it sounds just like the something I’d love on the go. Especially if there is the classic Killzone Multiplayer.

+ c3RAMburger on August 14th, 2012 at 3:11 pm said:

I just might pick up a Vita early for this game. Killzone 4 can wait til PS4, and hopefully bring back the unique feel that made KZ2 so outstanding.

+ NYYanks21 on August 14th, 2012 at 3:31 pm said:

This looks like it has a good chance to be the premier shooter for Vita. As a big fan of Killzone I’m really looking forward to getting a chance to play as a Helghast character.

+ FatSuit on August 14th, 2012 at 3:31 pm said:

Does this “money for kills” system remind anyone else of Bulletstorm?

+ TheTwelve on August 14th, 2012 at 3:32 pm said:

Consider this bought. Here, have my $$$. —12

+ ShardYu on August 14th, 2012 at 3:36 pm said:

WOW! Got me so excited! :D looks and feels better than Resistance Burning Skies. Day 1 or Pre order for me if they have. :)

+ Underow-CFH-316 on August 14th, 2012 at 4:18 pm said:

it look good but i’m here to leave a message if you like KILLZONE 3 multiplayer but you think it need to be fixed you can join this page on facebook http://www.facebook.com/FIXKILLZONE3MULTIPLAYER the game is really good but community really screw it up it need some serious adjustments i really hope that GG sees that we have a lot of interest on the game but right now online multiplayer isn’t really good please watch my points in the facebook page thank you

+ JKar275 on August 14th, 2012 at 4:43 pm said:

I’m very pleased to see that a Killzone FPS game is coming to the Vita!!!!

I didn’t enjoy Killzone: Liberation on the PSP – so I’m very happy to see that GG didn’t go that route.

I’m hoping that our character will be able to use some of the cool vehicles, gadgets, and weapons from Killzone 1 and 2 such as:
a) Jetpack,
b) Intruder,
c) Jetbike,
d) Lancer,
e) Assault Boat & Fast Attack Boat, etc.

+ xkrlosmirandax on August 14th, 2012 at 4:59 pm said:

Awesome… I do not won a VIta but it look pretty cool… by the way it would be cool to have some more killzone experience back on the ps3!!

+ assassin4321 on August 14th, 2012 at 5:10 pm said:

i really like buying vita games BUT PLEASE stop with the trophy locks i cant even share the game with my own brother… hope this doesnt have a trophy lock looks like a promising game

+ Heatseeker125 on August 14th, 2012 at 5:57 pm said:

Now this is how a FPS should look on the Vita. Unlike Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified which is being made by a team that has no clue how to make a good game on any system, let alone the Vita.

+ CHUNG-FU6699 on August 14th, 2012 at 6:01 pm said:

This looks cool I hope it will have some solid multiplayer.

+ iiONyKz-_MaQuIrO on August 14th, 2012 at 6:29 pm said:

Another WoW. this is it another supermega-hit! wowwwwwuuu! KillZONE making is debut!!! wow can’t believed!
question ?? where’s the preoder offer?? your money is right here, pick its up!

+ spideyal on August 14th, 2012 at 6:32 pm said:

I hope to god you guys take this opportunity to rebuild Killzone’s gameplay from the ground up starting from Killzone 1. We all know what happened when the “fans” got a say in how it should be with Killzone 3. The servers are practically non-existent now.

Killzone is an amazing franchise with amazing potential and I’d absolutely hate to see it wasted because nobody knows what they want. I want to see full creative freedom from GG since I know you guys are capable of incredible things.

This idea seems fantastic tho, and I’m looking forward to where you guys plan on taking Killzone.

+ faraway25 on August 14th, 2012 at 7:02 pm said:

*sigh* Sony really needs to get out of the handheld business especially if they’re only going to make nothing but mini PS3s. Every time I see a good vita game I sigh and think, “this could be coming to the PS3…”

+ remanutd5 on August 14th, 2012 at 7:44 pm said:

guerrilla games are developing killzone mercenary = buying 2 copies day 1.

+ chowder_07 on August 14th, 2012 at 8:12 pm said:

@74 Why do you hate the li’l bro of ps3,dont you think that it would be more better if both of them are successful or you just don’t own a vita?

+ ClinToN on August 14th, 2012 at 8:37 pm said:

arggh now I have to buy a PS Vita. I’m hoping for a bundle deal with this!

+ Alexksx on August 14th, 2012 at 9:30 pm said:

This game have multiplayer??? plz respond yes :P

+ ChrisMichaels04 on August 14th, 2012 at 10:22 pm said:

Day #1…………………….where do i sign?

+ SnakeApprentice on August 14th, 2012 at 10:50 pm said:

LOVE how you make the characters wrist communicator look like a Vita. I’d buy the game just to pause it and press touch buttons on it like I was using the real thing. I was starting to lose connection with the Killzone story, not sure who was really the good guys, glad this story takes a new approach and let’s us explore both sides.

I personally really like touch screen controls. It can really enhance the gameplay, so long as it doesn’t DOMINATE the gameplay. I’m a little concerned that the slashing will be overused and too easy. I don’t think Killzone should turn into a casual experience. And again, the wrist communicator thing is extremely cool, please make sure to do as much with that as possible

+ nathanuc1988 on August 14th, 2012 at 11:12 pm said:

This was some awesome news! This should finally hit that FPS itch many Vita owners have…

+ SolduNuts on August 14th, 2012 at 11:21 pm said:

The graphics in this game look to be the best for a FPS that I have seen so far. Will this game take advantage of NEAR? I have Killzone 2 and 3, but sadly missed 1. I like the series so far and will pick this up as well. Keep up the good work and make this game the best Killzone yet.

Sold.

+ DarkOne_PR on August 14th, 2012 at 11:51 pm said:

PLS dont let it be mission based like Unit 13 give me a full campaign!!!! and btw…. MP its not an option! LOV YA GG!!!

+ kdiep on August 15th, 2012 at 12:03 am said:

Oh nice, Herman is on the blog. Does this mean the game is made by Guerilla? Definitively looks like it. The visuals looks awesome, probably the best on the Vita.

+ Oo_3luegroove_oO on August 15th, 2012 at 2:19 am said:

Niiiiiiice!!! BUT GG, PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT USE ON SCREEN TOUCH CONTROLS!!! All that will do is obscure the view which would be oh so annoying!

+ Oo_3luegroove_oO on August 15th, 2012 at 2:38 am said:

please keep controls clean and simple rather than implementing touch just cos its there especially in multiplayer…. can’t wait, my vita has been gathering dust since day one (everything so far has been absolutely uninspiring rehashes or childish platformers IMHO) so this maybe the first game I actually buy for this thing unless Phantasy Star Online 2 comes out first….

oh and Call Of what???

+ TacticalPotato on August 15th, 2012 at 6:12 am said:

THIS IS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!
not some garbage cod vita version made by some crap as devs!

this is the real stuf this is where my money is at!

+ chowder_07 on August 15th, 2012 at 6:22 am said:

Sony,put this on commercial and your sales will go sky-high and I think its cool watching it every day rather than those cheesy and boring commercials…

+ chowder_07 on August 15th, 2012 at 6:25 am said:

@87 I think we shouldn’t tell their game garbage because they might never make a game for vita again and making a game for vita is a sacrifice to be made.

+ Myspace110 on August 15th, 2012 at 6:51 am said:

the reason i bought a vita in the first place was this game now release it asap

+ Myspace110 on August 15th, 2012 at 6:54 am said:

what no sev and riko so a base off killzone 1 would be my guess

+ erivera_1994 on August 15th, 2012 at 7:59 am said:

Now compare this to Black ops Declassified on Vita… you tell me, which developer tried harder?

+ TheGazer000 on August 15th, 2012 at 8:25 am said:

definitely choose this game, so SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY, SONY, this is just too AWESOME, I’m so overeacting, don’t go crazy with the touch control, make the game a greatest hit on ps vita, Sony

+ ARC_Stig on August 15th, 2012 at 8:26 am said:

I’ll now definately be buying a Vita. :) I hope this will be in a bundle or somthing. :D

+ jqtaxpayer on August 15th, 2012 at 8:45 am said:

Looks awesome, but please make the touch screen controls optional.

+ Bcrazyman on August 15th, 2012 at 9:27 am said:

hey i really love this game cant wait for it kill zone kicks ass!

+ Sparkz92 on August 15th, 2012 at 9:42 am said:

Wow the graphics look really good! o.0

+ actio1_618 on August 15th, 2012 at 12:21 pm said:

” …you’ll be fighting alongside Helghast forces…” YES, my people, YES.

+ chowder_07 on August 15th, 2012 at 12:42 pm said:

Didn’t you noticed that the man in the shadows looks like he plays a key role to the Killzone:Mercenaries.