PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

YouTube App for PS3 Lands Today

Sarah Ali's Avatar + Posted by Sarah Ali on Aug 14, 2012 // Product Manager, YouTube

Playing hours of Journey giving you cravings to watch Journey on YouTube? Or maybe DiRT Showdown put you in the mood to watch real-life action sports from the Red Bull channel? Give button mashing a whole new meaning with the new YouTube app for PS3, rolling out later today in North America for free from PlayStation Store.

YouTubeAppforPS3

You might have watched YouTube on PS3 before, but get ready for a whole new world of video and features. We have a completely new experience, designed for the big screen and optimized for the PS3. Here’s what you’ll find:

• Search: Finding the videos you want is easier than ever, with search suggestions and instant video results while you type.
  • Your subscribed channels: Sign in to find the latest videos from your YouTube subscriptions, which now also includes official music videos.
  • Your phone as a remote: With a quick pairing process, you can control YouTube on PS3 with a smartphone. Find a video on your phone and with a button it’ll play on the big screen. While the video is playing you can control it from the phone, or keep browsing YouTube for the next one.

YTAppforPS3

With today’s Store publish, you’ll find the new app in the PlayStation Store under My Channels. We’ll keep improving the PS3 experience and plan to bring the app to more countries in coming months.

281 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 6

+ I_am_rushin on August 14th, 2012 at 8:50 am said:

Great news can’t wait to try it out. Always nice to see native applications for the PS3

+ kbelly21 on August 14th, 2012 at 8:50 am said:

Think I’m most excited for this feature than anything else. Shinobi had me until I saw this. Great move Sony!

+ Shotgun6343 on August 14th, 2012 at 8:51 am said:

O heck yeah! I cant wait to get my greasy little fingers on this app! I really love the smartphone functionality too!!! #amazing

+ ShardYu on August 14th, 2012 at 8:51 am said:

yay! Great addition :) thank you! now ps vita and ps3 has YouTube! :D

+ Dr4gonco89 on August 14th, 2012 at 8:51 am said:

Yes!!! Finally can see HD videos from youtube in my led tv :)

+ stlthriot on August 14th, 2012 at 8:51 am said:

Yay! Finally!! :D
Hope this is much more smooth and slick then the current YouTube thingy on the ps3. ;)

+ hardtokill234 on August 14th, 2012 at 8:52 am said:

Well that’s certainly a good surprise for today! Now we can finally watch youtube videos in HD which otherwise was impossible on the ps3. Thanks for the update guys and keep up the good work. :)

+ Tchanku on August 14th, 2012 at 8:53 am said:

Good addition, Now do Twitch.tv on ps3 and vita. :)

+ loganwolf13 on August 14th, 2012 at 8:53 am said:

Good one Sony i will definitely be using this app. Giving some feedback I would recommend a patch so we can also watch playlist on the ps3 youtube app.

+ fadi002 on August 14th, 2012 at 8:53 am said:

Will there be HD support?

+ Zezzler on August 14th, 2012 at 8:54 am said:

FINALLY!
I’ve been sick of the crappy Youtube XL website as it doesn’t have things like Quality settings, Playlists, etc, and the regular desktop one doesn’t run as well on PS3.

THANK YOU!

+ Redrox on August 14th, 2012 at 8:54 am said:

Sounds good and all… but how about finally getting a useable web-browser on the PS3, so we wouldn’t need all these apps!?! Come on PlayStation *smh*

+ ShugoWah on August 14th, 2012 at 8:55 am said:

Y-y-yeah, I’m all over it~

+ BIG_CASEY on August 14th, 2012 at 8:55 am said:

This just made my day I love you Sony!!!!!!

+ mischiefsoul on August 14th, 2012 at 8:55 am said:

Finally HD YouTube videos. I did not expect this was going to happen today.

+ SeanStrange on August 14th, 2012 at 8:55 am said:

This is awesome!!

+ FearMonkey on August 14th, 2012 at 8:56 am said:

Yes. Finally! Thanks! :)

+ ShadowFox014 on August 14th, 2012 at 8:57 am said:

Woo! You see, this is why I love you guys. Always adding new things to the Playstation experience, always taking in user feedback and delivering awesome new features :3

+ DazeOfWar on August 14th, 2012 at 8:57 am said:

This is pretty cool. Not sure how much I’ll use it but at least it’s an option. What would be awesome is if we got a surprise announcement that the Vita update was coming today. Then I’d be super excited.

+ kwiiboy on August 14th, 2012 at 8:57 am said:

I’m not seeing it yet. Is it out or is it a slow roll out?

+ truongtantai on August 14th, 2012 at 8:58 am said:

Yoshi , I love you Sony .Finally you got me

+ Butters360 on August 14th, 2012 at 8:58 am said:

Well, isn’t that just Prime! Thanks Sony and YouTube!

+ DZORMAGEN on August 14th, 2012 at 8:58 am said:

o_O WOW Sony!!! I didn’t see this coming!! Thank you so much!!!

+ StealthReborn– on August 14th, 2012 at 8:58 am said:

Hi Sarah,

Is this just for the US, or is Canada involved as well? Thanks! =)

+ SlyCooperFan100 on August 14th, 2012 at 8:59 am said:

@kwiiboy It’ll be included in the Store update.

You know, I don’t really care about a new UI at this point. Just give me HD support and we’ll call it a day. If this update doesn’t include HD, you’ve reached a new low.

+ Elvick_ on August 14th, 2012 at 8:59 am said:

Sweetness.

+ LordRaoh on August 14th, 2012 at 8:59 am said:

That is awesome news.

The smartphone pairing, does that include iPhone or Android Smartphones only?

+ shagg_187 on August 14th, 2012 at 9:00 am said:

Hi Sarah. Pairing devices to use as remote is a fantastic idea! Can you use PSVita as remote? It would be amazing if you can because both PS3 and Vita now have native YouTube app.

+ Chicken_G27 on August 14th, 2012 at 9:00 am said:

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

+ Xcaligamer1 on August 14th, 2012 at 9:01 am said:

stupid

+ avdavidw on August 14th, 2012 at 9:02 am said:

If this lets me watch YouTube videos in 3D on my Playstation 3D display I’m going to be crazy happy about this bit of news.

+ zombie9 on August 14th, 2012 at 9:02 am said:

man is is ok i guess but sony needs a new web browser BIG TIME These apps just eat up precious memory that I could use for other things. Game save and so on themes avatars and the list goes on.

+ Chicken_G27 on August 14th, 2012 at 9:02 am said:

i like the idea of a twitch tv app

+ gohan16ken on August 14th, 2012 at 9:02 am said:

Next…Skype, Pandora, and Google Chrome. And I will be happy.

+ LordRaoh on August 14th, 2012 at 9:03 am said:

And yes someone made a good point.

Vita Pairing?

Vita youtube app update as well to include subscriptions?

+ KazeEternal on August 14th, 2012 at 9:05 am said:

Ok …. I now everyone is thinking it…. but I have to say it.

About damned time!

I mean really you got this on the Vita first and we’ve had the PS3 for how long lol. All this time we’ve been dicking around with the crummy browser that couldn’t even do 720p video for Youtube.

+ BrianMcGuinness on August 14th, 2012 at 9:06 am said:

“OMG WHAT IS WRONG YOU , SONY!!!?? THIS BETTER HAVE TROPHIES OR I AM NOT SPENDING MY HARD EARNED MONEY ON A YOUTUBE APP!!! “

+ Chicken_G27 on August 14th, 2012 at 9:08 am said:

wtf is a free app -_-

+ Santos21 on August 14th, 2012 at 9:11 am said:

Like a good man named Lebron once said “it’s about d**m time”

+ allwasgood on August 14th, 2012 at 9:12 am said:

Why doesn’t this article mention HD? Kind of suspicious. Will the PS3 youtube app support HD video now or not?

+ NeoHumpty on August 14th, 2012 at 9:14 am said:

Or you could, you know, make a real browser and just release that. Then none of the apps would be needed to begin with. God forbid you have customers with the ability to play flash games.

+ chaoszero14 on August 14th, 2012 at 9:14 am said:

I hope that in a not too distant future we can see Vita connectivity and 3D. 3D would be awesome since there’s plenty of 3D videos on Youtube now and the PS3 supports 3D, so why not?

+ KDL_85 on August 14th, 2012 at 9:15 am said:

That’s good if we can see YouTube in hd the less I use my laptop the better now we need is a crackle app too

+ ShugoWah on August 14th, 2012 at 9:16 am said:

I know it’s like the fattest chance that ever fatted a fat, but a Spotify app for PS3 would absolutely blow my mind.

But alas, it would conflict with Sony’s music dealie that’s more-or-less the same thing, so I’ll just keep dreaming. :c

Looking forward to using this, though~

+ Flabeo on August 14th, 2012 at 9:17 am said:

I’ve seen some sites say U.S. only and others (like this one) say north america. Can anyone confirm if this is available in Canada too?

+ BLUEBERRY3158 on August 14th, 2012 at 9:19 am said:

what about a fackbook or skype app? i like it on the psp systems but how bout the ps3? even twitter whould be nice. the youtube app will be a great help dew to the fact my computer blue screened.

+ KDL_85 on August 14th, 2012 at 9:20 am said:

Or like neohumpty 40 say make a real browser and we don’t need apps yes!

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on August 14th, 2012 at 9:20 am said:

Wow this is awesome, you should also add an option to use the Vita as a remote

+ SolduNuts on August 14th, 2012 at 9:25 am said:

Keep these apps coming to the PS3. I like apps that are made to run natively on the PS3 because they work a lot better than anything from the web using the web browser. I will test out the smart phone remote control. This feature is awesome and I was really not expecting a smart phone remote for this app. Maybe the Vita as a remote, but not a smart phone. Good job with this and I look forward to more from Germany.

Sold.

+ pablofsi08 on August 14th, 2012 at 9:25 am said:

I just hope I can watch youtube in 1080p now, as I should have always been able to…

While you guys are at it, ¿why don’t you update the flash player?.

PAGE 1 2 3 6