PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

YouTube App for PS3 Lands Today

Sarah Ali's Avatar + Posted by Sarah Ali on Aug 14, 2012 // Product Manager, YouTube

Playing hours of Journey giving you cravings to watch Journey on YouTube? Or maybe DiRT Showdown put you in the mood to watch real-life action sports from the Red Bull channel? Give button mashing a whole new meaning with the new YouTube app for PS3, rolling out later today in North America for free from PlayStation Store.

YouTubeAppforPS3

You might have watched YouTube on PS3 before, but get ready for a whole new world of video and features. We have a completely new experience, designed for the big screen and optimized for the PS3. Here’s what you’ll find:

• Search: Finding the videos you want is easier than ever, with search suggestions and instant video results while you type.
  • Your subscribed channels: Sign in to find the latest videos from your YouTube subscriptions, which now also includes official music videos.
  • Your phone as a remote: With a quick pairing process, you can control YouTube on PS3 with a smartphone. Find a video on your phone and with a button it’ll play on the big screen. While the video is playing you can control it from the phone, or keep browsing YouTube for the next one.

YTAppforPS3

With today’s Store publish, you’ll find the new app in the PlayStation Store under My Channels. We’ll keep improving the PS3 experience and plan to bring the app to more countries in coming months.

281 Comments

+ liledawg on August 14th, 2012 at 11:40 am said:

Look at the blog there is a little link that gives information about the vita getting ps one suppert this month,and other stuff, guess alot missed that.

+ Rognald on August 14th, 2012 at 11:49 am said:

Crunchyroll does not work btw it kicks me out to the xmb, this never happens with Vudu.

+ rera121989 on August 14th, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

ONE THING I WOULD REALLY ENJOY IS A CLOUD-BASE APP BECAUSE THIS WOULD ALLOW ME TO SEE PHOTOS I’VE UPLOADED ON ANY OF MY SONY BLU-RAY PLAYERS. SOME OF THE APPS I SUGGEST ARE SKYDRIVE, GOOGLE DRIVE, PLAYMEMORIES, BUT THIS YOUTUBE APP SOUNDS GREAT AS WELL.

WELL IF ANY OF THESE APPS ARE AVAILABLE ON UPCOMING UPDATES I WOULD TRULY APPRECIATE IT, BECAUSE THIS WOULD MAKE IT MUCH EASIER FOR ANYBODY TRYING TO SEE THEIR FAMILY PHOTOS.

PANDORA IS ANOTHER GREAT APP THAT SHOULD BE AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD

PLEASE AND THANKS ;)

+ TheTrainJob on August 14th, 2012 at 12:13 pm said:

@90, What does Android have to do with anything? Androids have Flash(but not for much longer, Adobe is going to pull all new Flash mobile downloads sometime this month), and they’re also a completely different architecture than the PS3, and I’m pretty sure most of them have more than 256M of memory.

Whatever Flash you get on any device is at the whim of Adobe. They are hard at work on new tools and just keeping their main platforms updated. They’re dropping Flash mobile support this month(as I said already), and the PS3 has a much smaller percentage of the web browser market than the combined Flash-enabled mobile devices, so I doubt it’s on Adobe’s to-do list.

The original iPad had 256M of main memory, and iOS has a heavily optimized version of Webkit for mobile devices, hardware-based decoding for all its supported media types, and still browsing is becoming too memory demanding for it.

The PS3 has the same amount of main memory and is an architecture that doesn’t have as heavily an optimized version of Webkit, so it’s no small task to get a browsing experience like what people here are asking, and it most definitely would not be cheap to develop.

Again though, I’m not even sure what your point was.

+ scorpio2484 on August 14th, 2012 at 12:19 pm said:

Wow, it will be really nice to have a dedicated Youtube app with the smartphone remote…
now when can we get Skype on PS3??? now even comcast has got one!

+ cookiemonster525 on August 14th, 2012 at 12:24 pm said:

AWESOME!

+ Healey- on August 14th, 2012 at 12:24 pm said:

@thetrainjob My point was what you said in your first paragraph, they both use flash for this. If the problem was purely from that perspective… Well, you see where I’m going, the browser (under normal conditons) could be updated in many areas to improve use and functionality, including this, and not require an app to make it actually work properly. I understand the fact iOS won’t touch flash and is pushing for html 5, but like you said, it not that far along yet and it’s still unknown if everyone is going to follow initially. So I guess all I’m saying is it’s not purely because of flash that youtube didn’t function properly on the ps3.

+ saab01 on August 14th, 2012 at 12:31 pm said:

Its about time hopefully we can watch in HD

+ TogusaRusso on August 14th, 2012 at 12:36 pm said:

It seems, that your Youtube App don’t work at 1080p mode! WHY?!!

+ megamixer on August 14th, 2012 at 12:42 pm said:

>no keyboard support
>no resolution options
>no search history storage
>must be logged in to psn to use

App deleted. I’ll stick with the internet browser.

+ freshprincepbg on August 14th, 2012 at 12:59 pm said:

No HD? What gives?

I was excited for this but it’s not good, needs a patch!!

+ BettyBlueGT on August 14th, 2012 at 1:00 pm said:

I love how as the lifespan of the PS3 comes to an end they release hings that should have been added years ago..

+ ToKKeNbL00dMoNeY on August 14th, 2012 at 1:03 pm said:

i cant wait to try it out, funny thing is my friends are using it right now but when i checked on the playstation store its not there and the ps store already updated :/

+ Zer0Gravt on August 14th, 2012 at 1:05 pm said:

What about Facebook for PS3?
When’s it coming?

+ Doom_V on August 14th, 2012 at 1:14 pm said:

I can’t use the youtube app, it takes like forever to load and never loads, and when I try to exit from the app my ps3 restarts by itself…My tv changes automatically the resolution to 1280×720…We will have FullHD and HD videos or not??What is wrong with it??

+ sully1311 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:14 pm said:

No HD and playback is so stuttery!!

+ viceforce on August 14th, 2012 at 1:31 pm said:

This is good, but really needs a patch to allow the streaming of full episodes from certain providers. I can do that on the Vita and it feels weird that I can’t do that on the PS3

+ N3phastus on August 14th, 2012 at 1:32 pm said:

Congratulations Google for helping Sony ! xD

+ zzdarkzeonzz on August 14th, 2012 at 1:35 pm said:

ABOUT TIME THY GIVE US THIS !! BUT NEEDS MORE SKYRIM!!

+ TheTrainJob on August 14th, 2012 at 1:54 pm said:

@Healey, no, that’s just wrong. The main problem with YouTube on the PS3 browser is that Flash on the PS3 is just terrible. It’s simply so poorly optimized that it can only play video at a max res of 240p. The new browser renders most sites very well. It is slow when scrolling long pages, but that’s it. In fact, the desktop version of YouTube renders very well, but video playback is just terrible.

+ Rognald on August 14th, 2012 at 2:07 pm said:

The app don’t work, I had to activate it twice cause the first time didn’t work, and I keep seeing the same commercial over and over. The videos repeat even after stopping and selecting a different one. It’s incredibly annoying. I hope this gets fixed soon cause I really liked the video quality, people that says is not HD is because they are watching videos that are not HD. Native 720p videos are hard to find, some movie trailers are in 720 and 1080p.

+ LovesJapanManga on August 14th, 2012 at 2:22 pm said:

Is it me or does the videos on YouTube looked worse?

+ Matrix_Lion on August 14th, 2012 at 2:35 pm said:

Feeling good, feeling great, how are you? Thanks Sonys

+ Ryusennin on August 14th, 2012 at 2:36 pm said:

There is definitely no 1080p support.

Search for “cartier odyssee” (the famous Cartier 2012 commercial) and watch it on PC in 1080p. It’s clearly 720p on the PS3. Not half bad, but not full HD — which is kind of ridiculous since my connection is the same on both systems (and the PS3 can obviously do 1080p video).

+ emmanu888 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:42 pm said:

okay thats ridiculous wheres the app on the canadian store ?! apparently the app is only available in the us which is completely ridiculous ! hey sony when is the freaking app will be available in canada ?!

+ that-acmilan-guy on August 14th, 2012 at 2:43 pm said:

FEEDBACK: It is so cool! Paired my Galaxy S3 within seconds and I was able to to use my phone as remote control to the TV! This fits very well with 2nd screen trend which was all at rage at this year’s e3.

Question: How is the quality determined? There seams to be no option. What is the maximum quality of the videos? Please give us an option to select resolution, be it 1080P, 720p, 480p or automatically determined.

+ trinigamer101 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:44 pm said:

thank you guys, now i can watch #epicmealtime and others on my every new up coming 2nd PS3

+ sully1311 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:52 pm said:

@Rognald I’ve been watching videos I’ve uploaded myself, and trust me they’re not in HD.

+ AfrosRockMan on August 14th, 2012 at 3:00 pm said:

Yeah, no dice for me. Keep getting glitches and freezes left and right. Worse yet, there’s no keyboard support, no ability to view channels, horrible controls, and the list just goes on. And on top of it all, video quality seems to be only running at 480p.

+ Corbie on August 14th, 2012 at 3:00 pm said:

while its nice to finally have a real app for this, youtube still is being total garbage when it comes to buffering a video. Its been weeks since Ive been able to properly watch anything higher than 360 quality without the video pausing to load. Sometimes I can barely even load 240.

+ Hallowed_Death on August 14th, 2012 at 3:05 pm said:

Was excited to see this addition to the PS3 because we all know how much the PS3 browser sucks. So I grabbed it, installed, and even linked my account. After playing with it a bit, I was overjoyed to see videos in high definition, but then came the issues. Upon trying to load a third video, the app froze up, so naturally I pressed the PS button to make sure it didn’t freeze up my system. Thankfully it didn’t, but after waiting 5 minutes for the app to recover, I quit the app. Upon doin so, it forced a 3 beep system reboot. So I logged back into the app & come to find out I need to relink my account, sign. Did so, watched a couple more vids, & you guessed it, 3rd video and bam! Stuck again. This is a large bug that needs to be fixed before it causes damage to the HDD. So y’know, this was all tested on a brand new Slim PS3, the errors are in the app. Until it is updated, I’ve got no plans to use it further. Use at your own risk.

+ kmg90 on August 14th, 2012 at 3:35 pm said:

First impressions for me are mixed, its fast and lightweight (compared to say 360′s YT App) however trying to scroll through longer 30+ minute videos (eg Giant Bomb’s hilarious and informative Quick Looks) is borked as it leads to hard locking the app or the system (leading to a 3 beep reset)

Hopefully the stability issues get ironed out with some updates

Interesting side note: the PS3 Youtube App runs off Chromium (what Google Chrome is developed from)

+ Ferny84 on August 14th, 2012 at 5:15 pm said:

Canadians get boned again.

+ ZHX1138 on August 14th, 2012 at 5:18 pm said:

I Can’t believe it!. I’ve used it today and it’s a dream for YouTubers like me. You can even control it with a smart phone that has a browser.

+ Vinland_Krauser on August 14th, 2012 at 5:21 pm said:

Hi, Sarah!
I’d like to ask one VERY small thing that we absolutely need.
Video descriptions.
I like to see gaming strategies and the only way to keep up with what’s happening on the video is to read about it.
I believe it’s easy to implement that, since it’s just text.
Thanks!

+ T-Cal on August 14th, 2012 at 5:22 pm said:

About D*** Time!
Love the app so far & the pairing feature, but please add Like/Dislike feature

+ TheLastNinja- on August 14th, 2012 at 6:03 pm said:

This is nice and all, but it’s lacking keyboard support. I’d like to be able to type into the search field instead of having to scroll to each letter.

+ dragonx2k8 on August 14th, 2012 at 6:14 pm said:

Videos are not authorized for playback on your platform. No thank you.

+ Chrysillis on August 14th, 2012 at 6:30 pm said:

It loops whatever video I start first. I have to exit the app to start any other videos. It won’t go to next track, I exited and tried a different video and it just keeps playing whatever I started first on a loop. This app already needs patched to even be usable…

+ retro25 on August 14th, 2012 at 6:38 pm said:

SWEEEEEEEEET!!!!! I’ve been waiting for this app to be avalible, thank you thank you THANK YOU ^_^ !!!!

+ Adam_150 on August 14th, 2012 at 6:39 pm said:

When will it be Available in Canada? i know Canada is part of North America, but its not on the store for me yet, any info on this?

+ akibake on August 14th, 2012 at 6:41 pm said:

Serious congratulations to the team that made this possible. It may have taken 5 years for Sony to add a dedicated YouTube app to the PS3, but finally… you done good!

Not only is the interface clean and classy, the added functionality that allows you to use your smartphone as a remote control is so well implemented. By leveraging the existing power of our smartphones, you’ve made an interface for searching and managing videos and playlists on the PS3 far better than using a DualShock 3 and bluetooth keyboard. Brilliant.

I’m not even a big YouTube user, but suddenly YouTube is a more viable form of entertainment for times when you want to sit back on the couch and perhaps enjoy videos together with friends. My PS3 is even more valuable to me than before. Thanks!

+ D-Squad3 on August 14th, 2012 at 6:47 pm said:

WTF no HD?!! This is so lame, even the Vita can play in HD. This is the most important feature and you guys bailed on it. Pathetic.

+ Doom_V on August 14th, 2012 at 7:17 pm said:

I downloaded and installed the YouTube App on my ps3 like 5 times (of course I deleted before reinstalling) but the app never loads, it stays on that screen with that circle on the corner, and when I try to exit the app my ps3 does 3 beeps and restarts!!ALWAYS!!

+ drpepperdude100 on August 14th, 2012 at 7:30 pm said:

Youtube app works perfectly for me. It is definitely in HD but can’t say if its 1080 or 720. The quality might be determined by your internet connection which I have a pretty fast one. I have not had any lag issues and all the videos I have watched look great on my big hdtv. But I have noticed there are no like, favorite, or comment options which really sucks. If they are there I couldn’t find them. Also if you are signed out of psn then the app will not work.

+ sword_script523 on August 14th, 2012 at 7:46 pm said:

The YouTube app is infinitely better than just using the browser! Great job! However, the only thing I don’t like with the first look at it is the text entry. I have a keyboard for my controller, yet it doesn’t work for the app. I can safely say I’m not a fan of the text entry that is in place, as you have to scroll on a horizontal plane until you reach the right letter, then scroll all the way through the alphabet for the next letter. Can this be improved? Even the usual text pop-up box would be better than what’s there currently.

Other than that, it looks and works great! I’m definitely glad there’s an app for it now, so thanks! :D

+ Syrlis on August 14th, 2012 at 9:30 pm said:

Very disappointing there is no 1080p support. Hopefully it wil be added soon. Don’t care for the look, but it is what it is. Other than that its great stuff, love the remote feature.

+ DARKJUSTE on August 14th, 2012 at 9:42 pm said:

Damn!!! Finally!!! Now you only need the Facebook and twitter apps and I can say goodbye to my PC.

+ HeySumbode on August 14th, 2012 at 9:53 pm said:

love the app, thanx… please bring Skype (if possible)

+ elchamber on August 14th, 2012 at 10:45 pm said:

Sorry, but I’m not a blind fanboy. It sucks. Seaching videos it worthless. Login in and pair is a joke. The only thing is it looks good. other than that it youtube on PS3 SUCKS!