Driveclub

PlayStation Around The Web: What We Read

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Aug 19, 2012 // Sr. Social Media Manager

I think this past week went pretty well, yes? When I watched the PlayStation gamescom 2012 press conference rehearsal a week ago, with its reveals of Tearaway, Until Dawn, Rain, Killzone: Mercenary and Puppeteer, I knew we were looking at special event. Based on the tweets we received that evening, and the large list of articles and previews below, it would seem that many of you agree.

If you missed any of our gamescom 2012 announcements, you can find them all right here. We’re back home now (and missing Kolsch), but that doesn’t mean the convention coverage is over. This week, look for interviews on Until Dawn, Dust 514, Diggs’ Nightcrawler, Dishonored, Soul Sacrifice, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, and more.

The PS.Blog weekly reading list (Week of August 13th, 2012)

+ Destiny89 on August 19th, 2012 at 9:37 am said:

Im kind of wondering is there a reason why the YouTube app for PS3 is not available in Canada but the YouTube Vita app is available in Canada?
dosent make any sense because if one system has the app then must mean there arent any problems for the other system, will the YouTube PS3 app release for the Canadian region soon? and please dont tell me about canada having crackle because no one cares about crackle.
Thanks :)

+ CZ4200 on August 19th, 2012 at 9:37 am said:

when is our next ps plus up date?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 19th, 2012 at 3:10 pm said:

another week or so.

+ JDSSLP on August 19th, 2012 at 10:36 am said:

This gem from the Gaffel Kolsch web site can also apply to taking in the Playstation experience:

“Keep calm…You have to be careful not to get too excited about drinking it.”

And as for the beer, so it is with the games:

“The connoisseur normally keeps a supply for 8 to 12 weeks.”

+ mpb93 on August 19th, 2012 at 10:42 am said:

Hi Jeff what do you think of Playstation allstars battle royale i am on the fence about it and it would be great to have your opinion.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 19th, 2012 at 3:11 pm said:

It’s a lot of fun in MP, I recommend getting your hands on it before making a decision.

+ ausse777 on August 19th, 2012 at 10:49 am said:

Hey Jeff “How Sony Won Gamescom Before It Even Started – IGN” is on the list twice.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 19th, 2012 at 3:12 pm said:

It’s *that* good of a story.

well spotted, thank you.

+ remanutd5 on August 19th, 2012 at 11:15 am said:

hey Jeff welcome back, listen i wanted to ask you if you know how can i contact Queasy Games because i wanted to tell them if they could release a patch that allow us to download community levels to play them offline, sometimes i want to play Sound Shapes on the train but i dont do it because i have played the story levels too many times already lol.

and as psvita owner im feeling very optimistic about the handheld’s future knowing that 2 of sony’s ELITE studios are leading the way of next AAA vita titles, that gives me hope to see the likes of Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Polyphony Digital and Quantic Dream follow that initiative, im stunned to know Mm are using only 15 people to develop Tearaway and im pretty sure Guerrilla Games are working on more than one project at the same time too.

overall very good show but i would have ended with a Soul Sacrifice gameplay video instead of Call of Duty lol

+ BlueBl1zzard on August 19th, 2012 at 11:53 am said:

I read both of the Need for Speed Most Wanted Vita articles and I must say I am very impressed with how it’s coming along. Criterion definitely didn’t hold back when came to making the Vita version. I can now say I will officially be picking up both versions, but I do wish they included crossplay in the online multiplayer.

Now only one question remains..what to get first, AC III and AC Liberation, or Need for Speed Most Wanted for PS3 and Vita?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 19th, 2012 at 3:13 pm said:

October 30th is going to be the most insane day.

+ GGCAN on August 19th, 2012 at 11:56 am said:

@ 1 Destiny89.

Please, speak for yourself….

Your comment ‘no one cares about Crackle;….I watched a really good Anime this past Friday (altough older) on Crackle.

It may have something to do with our CRTC why we didn’t get it this time (Canadian broadcasting laws) and nothing at all with Sony.

I have Youtube on my Vita as well as on my pc and can still watch via the PS3 browser, so I’m not a bit disappointed that we don’t have YouTube just yet.

We will most likely get the YouTube feature in the future.

The US didn’t get Crackle and I saw a few posts of US residents claiming they would have liked Crackle instead of YouTube, so you can’t please everyone all the time.

+ chowder_07 on August 19th, 2012 at 1:20 pm said:

Even if NFS:Most Wanted Vita have only 4 multiplayer I’m good with it because first,they made it almost the console version and last,many players on the track just ruins your racing game.

+ ngpjb on August 19th, 2012 at 2:38 pm said:

“How Sony Won Gamescom Before It Even Started – IGN” is mentioned twice in this list.

+ DeathGazer on August 19th, 2012 at 3:04 pm said:

Good week. You guys had a nice show in Germany.

Now stop being cheapskates with PS+ and start giving us some full PS3 titles like Europe is getting.

+ Lucius_13 on August 19th, 2012 at 3:06 pm said:

any updates on GTA III? and i just hope that when you guys decide to upload GTA Vice City to the network it doesn’t run into the same problems lol i actually liked Vice City more just because of the Music lol

+ Christian399 on August 19th, 2012 at 3:29 pm said:

What are the chances of getting a souped up Vita with:
- Gorilla Glass
- 6-7 inch screen
- Lifestyle + business Apps
- Built in storage 16 BG + mem slot
- HDMI out

Vita is clearly competing with tablets at this stage, but its lacking in every comparable area except for controls. If Sony was to bring a $300 souped up Vita (tab) to the market, they’d actually have a unique value proposition instead of just a pimped out PSP. Right now it doesn’t feel like Sony has much of a clue on what direction to take their machine in.

Good showing at Gamescom though, but games alone won’t be enough. Vita needs features and services to match smart devices or it will certainly continue to languish in the market.

+ GangstaTroy on August 19th, 2012 at 3:50 pm said:

Is Cross-Buy EU only? Or will it be worldwide?

+ Pesico on August 19th, 2012 at 5:31 pm said:

Gamescom was great. The highlight for me has to be that the Vita version will have the same scope as the PS3 version.

+ BLipp17 on August 19th, 2012 at 6:12 pm said:

Great week for playstation news. Cant wait for fall/early next year!

Just a little suggestion for the roundup articles, why not group all the stories together by website? Like have all the Verge(Polygon) stories in one block, all the IGN stories in another block, etc and then maybe a block for where theres only one story from a website.

+ IcedDice777 on August 19th, 2012 at 9:48 pm said:

Ok, it’s settled. I’m buying a Ps Vita in November. Cross buy and vita+ program did it for me.

+ DA-EVIL-DEAD on August 20th, 2012 at 5:49 am said:

Can you have whomever is responsible for putting characters on Playstation Allstars Battle Royale look at these potential’s for the roster! It would be awesome:

I want Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2, Lara Croft, Crash Bandicot, Spy Hunter, a Gran Turismo Car, Hana Tsu-Vachel should be in here. Her role in both Fear Effects really paved the way for female lead characters and she was also a lesbian too. Which I have never really hear of in a game. Not really common during the late 90′s and not even common now; Sora and Riku from Kingdom Hearts; Leon from Resident Evil 4; Have an Ico or Shadow of the Collasous stage at lease; Agent 47 from Hitman; The guy from Kill Switch, which basically revolutionized cover shooting; And the main character from Grand Theft Auto 3

+ shadow_fire on August 20th, 2012 at 7:32 am said:

I recently bought a Vita with Golden Abyss (loving it) and I have a question.

I heard you guys announce Ps+ for Vita, that’s GREAT!…but It’s keeping me from buying any other games (have my sights on Unit 13, Escape Plan, and maybe Resistance) because I don’t want to buy any of these titles, only to have them show up for free within a week or so in the first Vita Ps+ update.

Can you confirm whether Ps+ is coming soon, or whether it could be a while?

Thank you! Keep up the good work guys.

+ iiGeTMoNeY23 on August 21st, 2012 at 5:55 am said:

@7

You shouldn’t have to buy the PS3 and PSVita versions of Most Wanted separately, you should get the PSVita version by buying the PS3 version. It might happen, EA said they are considering it. If you want a higher chance of it happening tell Sony and EA!

Every game that’s on both PS3 and PSVita needs to have Cross Buy, there’s no excuse. I would buy a PSVita if it does and buy so many games I wouldn’t otherwise.

Every PS3 and PSN game should also be on PSVita with Cross Buy. Get Okami HD on PSVita with Cross Buy.