LittleBigPlanet 3

PlayStation Blogcast 039: Ratchet Until Dawn

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Aug 23, 2012 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Subscription Links:

• Download the MP3 here on PS3, PS Vita or PC (Right-Click->Save As)

We wrap up our Gamescom 2012 coverage this week with a trio of scintillating new interviews with some of the the stars of the show. Self-proclaimed “teen horror” adventure Until Dawn brought the house down in Cologne, fusing immersive PlayStation Move-based exploration and immersive puzzle-solving. Executive Creative Director Will Byles joins us to share details on this thriller where the fate of the main cast lies entirely in your hands.

Then, Insomniac’s Shaun McCabe drills into the competitive multiplayer of Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, complete with new details on the game’s PS Vita version and cross-play functionality. Finally, Criterion’s Executive Producer Matt Webster runs through the finer points of Need for Speed: Most Wanted and why the PS Vita version is the spitting image of its PS3 big brother.

Of course, that’s all in addition to the normal volley of weekly info: Next week’s North American PlayStation Store releases, new “player queries” and tips, a hand-plucked PSN Gem of the Week — Nick even busts out a tough new Mystery Theme. Listen in and let us know what you think!

Stuff We Talked About

• Until Dawn
  • Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted for PS Vita
  • YouTube for PS3
  • Sound Shapes
  • Voice chat
  • Dishonored
  • Datura
  • Official PlayStation.Blogcast - Sid ShumanJeff for BlogcastOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Nick SuttnerOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Rey Gutierrez

The Cast

• Sid Shuman – PlayStation Social Media Manager
  • Jeff Rubenstein – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Manager
  • Nick Suttner – PlayStation Sr. Product Evaluator
  • Rey Gutierrez – PlayStation “Creator of Awesome”
  • [Editor’s note: PSN game release dates are subject to change without notice. Game
    details are gathered from press releases from their individual publishers and/or ESRB rating
    descriptions.]

+ SailingXboxman on August 23rd, 2012 at 11:06 pm said:

I’ve been refreshing the website ALL day. Glad it’s uploaded! Keep up the great work! Also where do I send my tips and answers to the mystery theme?

+ Sid Shuman on August 24th, 2012 at 8:28 am said:

There’s an email addy we mention on the show during tips and questions!

+ SailingXboxman on August 23rd, 2012 at 11:09 pm said:

Also I think you need to edit the cast?

+ Sid Shuman on August 24th, 2012 at 8:27 am said:

?

+ SailingXboxman on August 23rd, 2012 at 11:15 pm said:

Also SOME PS One games confirmed link: https://twitter.com/gamer1xbox360/status/238725325192843264

+ Tjoeb123 on August 23rd, 2012 at 11:29 pm said:

I’m probably not going to get an answer, but I gotta ask – the cross controller feature. Will it only work with PS3 games specifically built or updated to support the feature (like LBP2), or will it work with most PS3/N games right out of the box?

+ Sid Shuman on August 24th, 2012 at 8:27 am said:

It’d be something the game would need to specifically work with.

+ Richard919 on August 23rd, 2012 at 11:29 pm said:

late post….been checkin all day and the withdrawals were startin haha

+ Sid Shuman on August 24th, 2012 at 8:27 am said:

Yeah, my bad – I had a doctor’s appointment and a series of misadventures happened and it went up late, but thanks for being patient. Nick published the show at 2pm today, you can always go here to find it even if the post isn’t live: http://playstation.libsyn.com/

+ WilHiteWarrior on August 23rd, 2012 at 11:35 pm said:

Yay Peace Walker! Now just get Ac!d 1 & 2 and VR missions and a digital version of MGS4 and the digital MG series will be komplete

I really wish you guys would start opening with the releases…

+ Sid Shuman on August 24th, 2012 at 8:26 am said:

We did that for a while, but it was awfully jarring. Folks seem to like it when we take a few minutes to riff in the beginning, so that’s where we’re at…

+ polo155 on August 23rd, 2012 at 11:38 pm said:

working round the clock huh Sid? Downloading on vita while typing from same! :)

Cant wait to try the NFS on Vita.

i hope they make a bigger memory card for vita though im loving it.

Ok download done.

+ lPHOENIXZEROl on August 23rd, 2012 at 11:49 pm said:

Sony’s gotta do whatever it takes to get EA and other companies on board with the Cross-Buy, even if that means cutting licensing fees for titles publishers get on board with.

+ df2506 on August 23rd, 2012 at 11:56 pm said:

I’m looking forward to the Ratchet & Clank HD Collection a lot! Have my copy already preordered. Can’t wait to go pick it up & play it. Been so long since I’ve played them.

Also, looking forward to the new R&C when it comes out.

Totally different subject:

the Youtube app. I have to disagree with you guys. Its awful. The first time I ever used it, the videos ran great. But after that, it started to freeze up on me more & more. I redownloaded it and it still keep freezing up. :(

Will the youtube app be updated soon?

I hope so. Till then, I deleted it from my PS3. Unhappy about that too since I was so excited when I heard the PS3 was getting a youtube app. The couple of Playstation All-Stars videos I got to run on it looked GREAT. Hopefully the freezing issues will be fixed…

Anyway, thanks for talking about Ratchet & Clank. OH and I wish you guys would talk about the Playstation Plus updates too. Just got a free trial of plus recently & I’ve really been enjoying it (downloaded R&C: All 4 One, which is awesome). Hopefuly I’ll get to continue on with Plus. :)

+ Sid Shuman on August 24th, 2012 at 8:21 am said:

I have heard some similar reports though it doesn’t seem to affect everyone. Luckily this is Google and there’s a good chance they will be aggressive about updating and improving the app. I’ll ping them today just to confirm they know. But yeah — the video quality looks incredibly good!

+ duke301 on August 24th, 2012 at 12:02 am said:

I know this is unrelated, but I don’t know where else to ask: Are they having NFL Sunday Ticket this year, and if so how much will it cost?

+ Sid Shuman on August 24th, 2012 at 8:21 am said:

No official announcement just yet but stay tuned

+ thebiglouie on August 24th, 2012 at 12:29 am said:

Did I hear that right? The NeoGeo games will be $1 each? 0_0

I wonder who this villain in the new R&C game could be if Shaun couldn’t even hint at it.

+ Sid Shuman on August 24th, 2012 at 8:21 am said:

Deep discount, I think most were in the $2 range

+ SailingXboxman on August 24th, 2012 at 12:40 am said:

Yes I prefer voice chat. Since of allows me to coordinate my teammates. It’s better than having a screen pop up by pressing a button, and choosing the command you want to tell your teammates to follow.

+ Gigidy17 on August 24th, 2012 at 1:45 am said:

If anyone has LittleBigPlanet 2 check out my level Pro_[V.E.R.A] please.. you wont be disappointed

+ Gigidy17 on August 24th, 2012 at 1:50 am said:

visit this link to LBP.ME to get a preview of the level

+ Richard919 on August 24th, 2012 at 2:16 am said:

This comment is for Nick….

Next time you run into Woody Allen (cause I’m sure you will haha) you HAVE to lean over to him and say “these pretzels are making me thirsty!”

Seinfeld ftw and great blogcast again

+ Sid Shuman on August 24th, 2012 at 8:22 am said:

George is gettin’ frustrated!

+ lPHOENIXZEROl on August 24th, 2012 at 2:25 am said:

I too have been playing Gotham City Imposters a bit over the last week.

As for voice chat I have three words for you…. Push to talk. I use mute as my PTT though most of the time I just turn on my headset just so I can filter people out of my speakers.

Unfortunately that isn’t done in the vast majority of console games. I mute annoying people regularly, there’s a mute button on your headset, use it. No one wants to hear to your music, no one wants to hear you sing along, no one wants to hear people you live with in the background and that noise or your convos with them, no one wants to hear kids and no one wants to hear any of your nonsense or stupid poorly executed trash talk.

I’m fine with voice chat (I use it for various PC games though Mumble) with people I know but beyond that, no thanks, especially when it’s just useless jibber jabber.

+ Sid Shuman on August 24th, 2012 at 8:22 am said:

Yes. PTT is absolutely my favorite voice chat implementation. And there’s a PC chat service called “Mumble?” That is awesome.

+ Imputed7-14 on August 24th, 2012 at 3:07 am said:

An hour and forty-one minutes? That’s awesome, guys. Between you and the Pocket Moon Podcast (that plugs for you, John and Tom) you guys make 2 hours of Friday commute good by so quickly. Keep doing what you do and I will keep listening.

+ Sid Shuman on August 24th, 2012 at 8:23 am said:

Glad you liked it. :) We just couldn’t shut up this week!

+ Imputed7-14 on August 24th, 2012 at 3:14 am said:

Note to self: reread comments BEFORE pressing post comment. Sigh.

+ Euthanasia78 on August 24th, 2012 at 4:08 am said:

Here is my opinin on voice chat. I am 33 years old, and I am not a fanboy. I own both systems, and I appreciate each equally. Here is where PS lags behind. The voice chat system on PS3 does not offer party chat and private chat. This makes me use my mic about 10% of the time on PS3. On my Xbox, I use my mic in party chat or private chat about 90% of the time. The way the PS3′s memory is setup stops it from having the options I want for chat. This is my honest opinion. I love my PS3, but the chat system is worse than Xbox’s. Party chat changes everything. Plus, less ppl overall use mics on PS3. The PS4 needs a party system. Without it, most ppl won’t even use a mic, and in my opinion games like BF3 are much more fun when talkin to ur friends. It’s the PS3′s lack of features that causes me to not use a mic.

+ Sid Shuman on August 24th, 2012 at 8:24 am said:

No problem. In general, I am not a fan of voice chat – on Xbox or anywhere else. There are certain specific instances where I like it (playing certain games with friends) but by and large, I’m not a big fan of it in any case. Personal opinion and most people disagree! :)

+ barry_matharoo on August 24th, 2012 at 4:39 am said:

any news when mgs peacewLker is coming to us psn?

+ Sid Shuman on August 24th, 2012 at 8:24 am said:

for PS3? Next Tuesday!

+ Rman5K on August 24th, 2012 at 7:12 am said:

Voice Chat – I was not pleased to hear the shows overall feelings on voice chat. Too many of you seemed way to negative towards voice chat. This leads me to wonder if that is a feeling that is shared at Sony overall and if that is why the PS3 is behind on those features.
    A bit about me. I am a 33yo male – PS3 is my main gaming console (I do have all current consoles) – I am a father of 3 boys – and I love my time that I get to spend gaming.
    Most of my time gaming is single player. But when I do get on line I enjoy the voice chat. Most of my online gaming time is spent with friends. And yes typically if available I do set the chat to friends only or squad only. I can not tell you how much time I have spent playing Killzone 2 and 3, Burnout Paradise and many other games with friends. Most of that play time was also more about the conversation rather than the game play. Yes the games are fun, but the conversation with friends is just as important.
    I do hope that the chat gets even better on the PS4. The party chat on the Vita works great and hope to see something like that on the PS4.

+ Sid Shuman on August 24th, 2012 at 8:19 am said:

It’s absolutely a personal feeling (and note that I was the main one who hates it, Nick and Jeff like it and think I’m crazy). I’m definitely not in favor of it going away, but I feel like somebody’s going to invent something better someday and I can’t wait for it!

+ LILJVAS1997 on August 24th, 2012 at 7:54 am said:

I enjoy voice chat because it is always optional just mute players if you wanna get immersed if not than raise the voice chat volume

+ Sid Shuman on August 24th, 2012 at 8:25 am said:

Good point

+ MushThePainter on August 24th, 2012 at 8:46 am said:

the movie you were thinking of was The Protector not Ong Bak.. great movie.. Korn!!!!!

+ Richard919 on August 24th, 2012 at 9:02 am said:

@sid

No worries man I know you guys are busy and have lives haha but thank you for that link !

Side note: i really enjoy these lengthy episodes, theyre great!

+ somebignasty on August 24th, 2012 at 9:50 am said:

Sid, I think what @2 meant by editing the cast is that on the post it’s still showing the list from last week’s blogcast. For example, it still lists Troy Baker from last week’s blogcast when he isn’t on this blogcast.

+ Euthanasia78 on August 24th, 2012 at 9:54 am said:

Thank you Sid for acknowledging our opinion. I honestly think its the lack of a party chat that is the main problem. Being able to isolate only my friends into a group chat really makes a difference.

+ StealthReborn– on August 24th, 2012 at 10:09 am said:

Spelunker HD DLC? Wow, never even knew that there were any plans to release any.

Looking forward to that…and alot of deaths, lol. =)

+ barry_matharoo on August 24th, 2012 at 10:18 am said:

I am sorry i wasn’t clear in the previous comment. I meant for PSP version on Vita. Its already available on UK psn. Konami is not releasing the HD version on the Vita. Atleast they could speed up the process of releasing the psp version of peace walker on vita store.

+ siriusbee on August 24th, 2012 at 10:34 am said:

Love the podcast, but can you guys work on the noise levels a bit so that your voices are around the same volume? One of you guys (I think Jeff is the guilty party) tends to speak (and especially laugh) really loud (or maybe too close to the mic) whereas everyone else’s voice is fainter.

I end up turning the volume up to hear the others, then get my ear bombarded by a sudden laugh or comment by said offender. Really hurts!

+ SAB-CA on August 24th, 2012 at 11:41 am said:

Any way you could let us know if the SNK sale is on the NeoGeo Station titles, or does it include their PSP and Minis, as well? Gotta try and plan purchases alongside the PS1 Vita Support next week!

+ assassin4321 on August 24th, 2012 at 2:51 pm said:

hey we should get The fight Lights out free on ps+ so it will encourage more people to buy move and i will also have more people to knock out online

+ zombiemom on August 24th, 2012 at 3:43 pm said:

Gonna have to pick up Psychonauts and give it another go. Only got up to the Den Mother battle way back when… enjoyed the game until she turned out the lights. Think I’m ready to kick her cookies now. :)

Looking forward to the PSV update for both the PS1 support and cross controller. Been really hooked on Sound Shapes on my Vita (and Papo & Yo on my PS3) Any news on whether the Near updates will finally show what PSP legacy games folks are playing? Seems weird for Near to show what Minis I play but not to show any of the digital PSP titles. I’ve actually been enjoying picking up titles I missed on my PSP, and it would be cool to see what other titles are popular around here.

I only play local multiplayer games, so I don’t use voice chat. I don’t like playing with strangers. I’d rather play with friends and family in the same room.

Oh, and Harry Hamlin is the ONLY Perseus who counts in my book! LOL The battle against him was one of my favorite moments in the entire GOW series. Loved hearing that battle get a mention here!

+ zombiemom on August 24th, 2012 at 3:49 pm said:

I don’t like the PS3 Youtube app. I love the Vita one, but the PS3 version lacks some of the intuitive nature and features. I’ve not had any freezing, but the little icon popup on the videos makes it look like the controls next to play/pause should somehow be selectable with your analog stick so that you can then just hit X. (like in the old browser version) Instead that flips you to the next video until you finally figure out that you have to use your shoulder buttons and all the icons next to the play triangle in that popup are apparently just for show. Awful interface. Since I watch lots of gaming news vlogs, being able to read the comments is important for me so I can read questions and answers on gaming news. At least I can read them on my Vita. Not happy about not being able to access videos that come up during a Google search in the browser either. If they aren’t going to let me use the old browser to view videos anymore the least they could do is automatically launch the app when I try to access the content instead of making me leave the browser, launch the new app, and run a new search there. Pointless PITA. It’s nice to be able to link to my Youtube account at least. Here’s hoping for an update.

+ Elvick_ on August 24th, 2012 at 3:51 pm said:

Can you guys get together with someone from Sega and talk about the PS Vita version of Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed (I think that’s the title)… or get a blogpost on it?

I want to know about the PS Vita version. I don’t want to bother if it’s some outsourced gimped handheld game like the Lego games. But if it’s inhouse like Need For Speed, then I want to definitely pick it up, because then I’ll know some effort was put into the game.

I just can’t find that information anywhere.

+ Elvick_ on August 24th, 2012 at 4:39 pm said:

I hate using voice chat. I don’t like talking on the phone either though. I mean, I’ll listen to people if they’re talking clearly. I’ll mute people if they have music playing, or I can’t understand wtf they’re talking about.

I remember quickly getting on mic to tell someone what to do in Uncharted 2 online co-op though, because he was the only one alive and he had no idea how to get to the treasure.

I just don’t like it. I feel like I’ll be breathing into the mic or something, and if I keep it muted then what’s the point? Because then I’ll have to unmute to say something, so I just won’t. So I just don’t use it.

+ jgrizzle358 on August 24th, 2012 at 6:03 pm said:

Sid, I’m beginning to think you’re the black sheep of the podcast.

Also, please stop glorifying stuff so much, my wallet can’t handle it. Thanks to you guys I bought Sound Shapes and Papo & Yo and started watching Breaking Bad.

I have neither the time no money for all this, you guys are evil. truly evil. But I love ya. lol

+ viceforce on August 24th, 2012 at 8:35 pm said:

You guys should have a “Add my friend” contest. I’m sure a lot of us would like to add you on their PSN. How it works is whatever new releases you guys talk about is basically their ONE and ONLY entry. Meaning if Multiple games are downloaded it doesn’t count. Then we send you a friends request. You compare games with us and chose a lucky winner. I think that sounds neat and really keeps the viewers more peeled and determined to purchase the titles you talk about it. Hope this makes sense to you all.

+ Undrey on August 26th, 2012 at 2:37 am said:

Please reply to this.

This account that I’m on is assigned to Bulgaria, which is not where I live in, and I can’t find any PSN cards for Bulgaria. You see this wasn’t a problem on the PS3, because I created another account with a PSN card that I can find, but now, for the Vita, I can’t buy anything at all on the PSN store because everything I buy is on my secondary account. I’ve downloaded Sound Shapes on my secondary account, I’ve tried importing it to the Vita to play it on my main account, but it won’t work, is there any way at all that I can play Sound Shapes on the Vita on my main account?

+ ChrisH_901 on August 29th, 2012 at 10:35 pm said:

i was trying to see when we would be able to do the cross control with the ps vita and ps 3 and what games would this work on

+ Marzeth on August 30th, 2012 at 7:47 am said:

Voice Chat is great when you have people that are actually communicating to properly cooperate for the end goal of the game. But I’m totally with Sid when you’ve got players that are chatting it up and ends up being a Conference Call. I like to leave those at work only.

And Inverted is the true way Rey. Think about how your head bobs when you move vertically. ;)