PS4-The Order

PSN PLAY: Last Chance to Download Some Great Games and Get Money Back

Kristine Steimer's Avatar + Posted by Kristine Steimer on Aug 24, 2012 // Sr. Community Specialist

The clock is ticking — our summer PSN PLAY promotion is coming to a close very soon, but there’s still time to take advantage of it. Purchase titles from our PLAY lineup through August 27th and you’ll be eligible for PSN vouchers of varying amounts, depending on how many you get. Buying two games nets you $3, three games, $6 and if you grab all four titles you get $10 back in your PSN wallet.

The game offerings are quite enticing – there’s our new No. 1 selling PSN game for PS Vita, Sound Shapes (which comes with its PS3 version at no additional charge), indie darling Papo & Yo, fan-favorite Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and the action-packed Expendables 2 Videogame.

As an added bonus, PlayStation Plus members can still nab Counter Strike: Global Offensive for 20% off the retail price. To learn more about PSN PLAY and the rest of the games available on PlayStation Network, click here.

If you want more information on the games included in the promotion, look no further:

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (PS3)

One of the gaming world’s most celebrated first-person shooter series makes its way to PSN with Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, offering an updated take on the tried-and-true objective-based gameplay. Pitting teams of counter-terrorists against terrorists, Global Offensive features a number of classic game types like Bomb Diffusal and Hostage Rescue, and introduces two new modes: Arms Race and Demolition. Up to 10 players can engage in online matches, and the game also supports PlayStation Move, giving players a brand new way to experience the classic Counter-Strike gameplay.

Sound Shapes (PS3/PS Vita)

Play, Compose and Share in a unique take on the classic sidescrolling platformer where your actions make the music. Play through a unique campaign that fuses music and artwork into a classic 2D platformer featuring artwork by Pixeljam, Capy, Superbrothers and more, with music by Beck, Jim Guthrie and Deadmau5. Additionally, Sound Shapes is a Cross-Buy title, so you only need to purchase it once in order to get the game for both PS3 and PS Vita. Create and upload your levels on either platform for others to download and remix on their own.

Papo & Yo (PS3)

PSN exclusive indie game Papo & Yo tells the story of a young boy, Quico, and his best friend, Monster. Taking place in a dreamlike world inspired by South American favelas, Papo & Yo entices players to explore and solve puzzles as Quico, while simultaneously preventing Monster from eating poisonous frogs, which throws him into an uncontrollable rage.

The Expendables 2 Videogame (PS3)

The latest and most explosive co-op action shoot’em up title coming to PSN, based on the popular movie franchise this game leads players right into the upcoming The Expendables 2 movie. The story begins when four Expendables (Barney, Gunner, Caesar and Yin Yang) are hired to rescue an extremely valuable, kidnapped Chinese billionaire. Featuring vehicular combat, four-player co-op story and challenge modes, and a wealth of exotic locales, The Expendables 2 Videogame offers everything an action-game fan could want.

PAGE 1 2

+ ucsmjc97 on August 24th, 2012 at 12:07 pm said:

No Thanks

+ RdgMenezes on August 24th, 2012 at 12:11 pm said:

Great

+ ebineesey on August 24th, 2012 at 12:36 pm said:

Are we likely to see a Sound Shapes demo anytime soon?

+ ChrisMichaels04 on August 24th, 2012 at 12:45 pm said:

Sound Shapes (Vita) and Counter Strike GO (PSMove) might be worth a pickup. I’ll pass on the other two though. Id rather just wait until most download games are free for PSplus down the road. Save your money people and go pick up Starhawk or Twisted Metal instead. Or put a pre-order on PS All Star Battle. The BETA is sick. Dont believe the Nintendo fanboys. PSASBR may be a “clone” of the cross fighter genre, but it definitely stands out on its own. We need to support more SONY retail games. We already lost Zipper and SONY Liverpool.

+ pablofsi08 on August 24th, 2012 at 1:14 pm said:

Don’t like any of those games, so no. Please stop producing FPS games, they are dumb.

+ IIL0YDII on August 24th, 2012 at 1:20 pm said:

Sadly only Sound Shapes worth mentioning.

+ AizawaYuuichi on August 24th, 2012 at 1:22 pm said:

I bought everything except CS:GO. With my PS+ discount and after the $6 rebate, I’ll have spent on $30 on the three of them. Pretty sweet deal, in my opinion. Looking forward to next year’s promotion.

Kristine Steimer's Avatar

+ Kristine Steimer on August 24th, 2012 at 1:51 pm said:

Awesome :) Which one is your favorite?

+ AizawaYuuichi on August 24th, 2012 at 1:23 pm said:

*only $30… darn you, “lack-of-an-edit” feature.

+ kivi95 on August 24th, 2012 at 1:35 pm said:

Sound Shapes is fantastic and should be owned by everyone with a psvita and ps3!

Kristine Steimer's Avatar

+ Kristine Steimer on August 24th, 2012 at 1:51 pm said:

I agree! Love that game.

+ Heavenly_king on August 24th, 2012 at 1:35 pm said:

I am not into music puzzlers, and the other games are not my cup of tea, so no thanks.

+ Thwip on August 24th, 2012 at 1:47 pm said:

Sound Shapes on my PS3 & on my PSVita were both amazing; although I still suck at the B-Side Death Mode tracks. :(

Kristine Steimer's Avatar

+ Kristine Steimer on August 24th, 2012 at 1:52 pm said:

I still have 6 more Death Modes to clear before the Platinum. They can be pretty painful, but they’re so addictive…”just one more try…”

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on August 24th, 2012 at 1:51 pm said:

Suck, suck, suck or suck?

hmmmmm…. *strokes chin*

….can i take a rain check Kristine?

+ Bones00 on August 24th, 2012 at 2:05 pm said:

Would anyone recommend Sound Shapes for someone who isn’t creative and may not compose? I do love sidescrolling platformers so I wonder if there’s enough value in that. Thanks.

Kristine Steimer's Avatar

+ Kristine Steimer on August 24th, 2012 at 2:09 pm said:

I absolutely love Sound Shapes. I don’t ever plan on making any levels (I’m not that talented), but I’ve enjoyed the game immensely. Currently working toward the Platinum :) Bonus: you get double trophies because you can just copy your save over to the other version (i.e. I’m going to copy my Vita save to my PS3 and unlock all the Trophies for the PSN version).

+ Megadrixfire_24 on August 24th, 2012 at 2:08 pm said:

I only bought CS:GO(i consider the rest crap), i predicted it was gonna be the most selling game and it did… just as it came out it recieved +2500 rating, the other games couldnt even get 700 ratings after weeks of beign in the store.

+ deathuponhe52 on August 24th, 2012 at 2:18 pm said:

When is the new psvita update coming out

+ TriP6963 on August 24th, 2012 at 2:20 pm said:

Bought Sound Shapes a few days back… the 11.99 plus deal wasn’t there… pre-ordered CS, its a sweet game. Really enjoying it. Should get 3 back but lost it to the 14.99 Sound Shapes :(.

+ cosmis_chaos on August 24th, 2012 at 2:22 pm said:

Sound Shapes and Papo & Yo were awesome. Thanks for the three bucks. I will put it to good use.

+ pureluck13 on August 24th, 2012 at 3:06 pm said:

Baught sound shapes and cs:go both are awesome, mind you ive been playing cs on pc. i got the ps3 version just to play with a few friends. I’d recommend it to anyone if they like shooters.

+ Astro411 on August 24th, 2012 at 3:16 pm said:

I bought three games, not gettin’ CS:GO.

Papo & Yo and Sound Shapes are phenomenal games, Sound Shapes is very challenging and imaginative and Papo & Yo is an extremely emotional game even though i can’t relate to it but it still moved me.

@ Bones00 and Kristine Steimer
You don’t have to be a world renowned composer to create music with this game, you either create a level and then add the music or just try to make a sound track and then build a level around it.

I would recommend these two games for anyone who wants quality games.

+ SWITCH_00599 on August 24th, 2012 at 3:30 pm said:

Im considering CS:GO i played the trial and it needed a lot of tweaking, i bought Papo & yo it was sweet and moving good relaxing game

+ Elvick_ on August 24th, 2012 at 3:34 pm said:

Papo & Yo was a great game.

Haven’t played Sound Shapes much, since I can’t put it on my PS Vita until I get a new memory card. And I won’t get a new bigger one until they drop in price. I just can’t get into the game on PS3, but I know I’d be all over it on my PS Vita.

Don’t really care about the other two. I like this though, didn’t really partake last year. I always planned to buy Sound Shapes and Papo & Yo, but because of this I was able to save $3 on each game and I’ll get $3 back too. :D

+ ElektroDragon on August 24th, 2012 at 4:04 pm said:

Sorry Sony, but these games were just not that exciting/compelling to have me buy even one of them, let alone all. The closest was Papo & Yo. Hope you have a better line-up for Play 2013.

+ solace357 on August 24th, 2012 at 4:07 pm said:

Any reason that it says $11.99 each with Ps Plus and I was charged $14.99 when I bought Sound Shapes?

Kristine Steimer's Avatar

+ Kristine Steimer on August 24th, 2012 at 4:47 pm said:

Unfortunately the $11.99 Plus price is only for a week long period, so the game you can still get at a discount is CS:GO.

+ purse317 on August 24th, 2012 at 4:10 pm said:

Papa & yo has glitches on top of glitches with it so glad I didn’t buy it with my friend. The expendables was mediocre at best.

Do yourself a favor buy sounds and shapes but skip the rest buy some older psn games instead that’s what I did.

+ Neil on August 24th, 2012 at 4:17 pm said:

I got Papo & Yo and Sound Shapes. Didn’t plan on making a level for Sound Shapes but did anyway. Check it out and lemme know what you think.

Search for:

1987 Carpool Story

+ G-Force08 on August 24th, 2012 at 4:26 pm said:

People should note, even if you have PS + the game is only $11.99 the week it is released.

+ Elvick_ on August 24th, 2012 at 4:33 pm said:

@23: What glitches? There’s some clipping, and screen tearing, but that’s about all I encountered. None of which ruined the experience for me.

+ gamer_316 on August 24th, 2012 at 4:40 pm said:

so far i’ve only bought Sound shapes & i’d have to say this game is prolly MUCH better on the vita with the touch controls makin things easier, imma try & get a PSN card b4 the promotion ends & get Counter Strike, lookin 4 another platinum to add to my collection =)

+ zombiemom on August 24th, 2012 at 4:51 pm said:

I bought Sound Shapes and Papo & Yo. Love them both! Highly creative and addictive games. Just phenomenal and must owns in my opinion. The other two just don’t appeal to me at all, but I’m sure that other players out there will love them.

I haven’t run into any glitches in Papo & Yo so far, so I don’t know what #23 is talking about.

+ Charles_Surge on August 24th, 2012 at 5:50 pm said:

Just CS: GO. It’s a shame Sony closed Studio Liverpool; they actually made games worth playing.

+ IzoGray on August 24th, 2012 at 5:53 pm said:

I plan on buying CS GO when I get my wireless keyboard and mouse ready. It should be quite the experience brushing my skills off on my 47” tv.

+ Nick930930 on August 24th, 2012 at 6:11 pm said:

If i add a game to my download list (From PS Plus Freebies) does it remain in my downloads list even after the month offer ends? Or does it need to be installed on my PS3?

+ viceforce on August 24th, 2012 at 6:14 pm said:

Brought CS GO and Expendables. I found it interesting that 2 out of those 4 games have platinums

+ Nick930930 on August 24th, 2012 at 6:19 pm said:

The only reason I’d buy Counter Strike is to play with my Sharpshooter + Move Controller to justify spending money on it…

Otherwise.. it’s a PC game and I won’t even spend the money on that. Counter Strike’s too difficult for my taste.

+ saab01 on August 24th, 2012 at 6:19 pm said:

I really wanted to try Sound shapes but with no demo I didn’t want to risk a purchase and ending up not liking it. I still cant understand why the games from PSN don’t all have demos. CS Go seemed cool but i saw so much lag in the online matches that I wasn’t sure if it would of been a good investment. It was cool for the price but the lag was terrible.

+ SENIORJUICE97 on August 24th, 2012 at 6:55 pm said:

quick question, since i bought CS:GO with the discount, does that mean i lose the game when my PS+ expires?

+ Karvahl on August 24th, 2012 at 6:55 pm said:

CS:GO is amazing!. Totally loving it, the new “Arms Race” game mode is a welcome additions, but it needs more maps!.

Everyone should play it, you won’t regret it.

+ solace357 on August 24th, 2012 at 8:34 pm said:

Thanks for the response Kristine, that’s what I figured. That picture is a taaaad misleading though. Especially when its front and center in the PlayStation Store. I still bought it obviously and I’m enjoying it thoroughly.

+ Cjx324 on August 24th, 2012 at 8:39 pm said:

Hi, I bought Sound Shapes, and will be getting CS:GO on Sunday, and I was just wondering when do I get the $3 added to my wallet?

+ UltimateDisco on August 25th, 2012 at 1:40 am said:

I’ve bought everything but CS: GO, and honestly, the Expendables was a little disappointing. I wish I would have waited and got CS: GO instead, but unfortunately, I don’t have enough money at the moment.

However, on the bright side, Sound Shapes on both PS3 and Vita is a dream! I Platinum’d both and have been playing the user-created levels like crazy. There are some truly awesome ones in there, particularly the Metroid one.

Also, Papo and Yo is a brilliant work of art. I just finished it last night, and it is truly a masterful story. I loved the imagery. I loved the message conveyed. I loved the sense of danger without the threat of death. It was just all-around a great experience.

All in all, I’d say two out of three is pretty awesome. Expendables is still fun, it’s just not as good as I expected.

+ AizawaYuuichi on August 25th, 2012 at 4:12 am said:

@ Kristine Steimer “Awesome :) Which one is your favorite?”

Personally, I haven’t had a chance to play Papo & Yo yet, though I’m sure I’ll enjoy it, and Expendables 2 was kind of a let down, but fun in its own way. But Sound Shapes was hands down the best (so far). The music they used was varied and well made, and the way all of the assets came together across the various levels, between the static background music that was affected by the coins you picked up and the environmental objects that made sounds as you touched or passed through them, to the creatures that kept their own beat and had their own sound sets, the entire experience was simply amazing. Truly a joy. And while the Death Mode levels added a challenge to the game, I personally loved the Beat School levels. Creating the given beat by ear through experimentation was really engaging for me. It wasn’t anything too difficult, as it showed you when you placed notes correctly, but on several tracks I was able to get the entire beat in 3-4 tries. Very refreshing gameplay compared to everything else out there.
I highly recommend it to anyone, on either or both systems. :D

+ MushThePainter on August 25th, 2012 at 8:02 am said:

i bought all 4, sound shapes is my favorite(got x2 platinum!!) , counter strike is awesome and really fun, papo & yo is pretty cool but a little repetitive, and expendables 2 is stupid fun and a good time waster if you have a couple buddies.. looking forward to using my 10$ back to put towards THPSHD!!

+ Shadow-Man_4 on August 25th, 2012 at 9:55 am said:

As an Uncharted fan; I had to login to say GREAT AVATAR you have there. Chloe for the win!

+ CommandingTiger on August 25th, 2012 at 11:55 am said:

Great games, I’ve played most of them except Papo & Yo.
Expendable 2 is similar to Wolf of the Battlefield : Commando 3, but with great graphics.
I do believe this is the best future of Movie based games.
Instead of paying for an under-budgeted Full Disc game, you get an Over-Budgeted PSN Download only game.
The quality is there for sure.

Counter Strike, well anyone with a PC knows this franchise.
Go remakes everything better.

As for Sound Shape, I didn’t wanted to buy that game, but then I came on the ps blog and they got me at “level editor”.

I might have bought them without the PLAY money give back, with Plus I get an extra discount.
It just makes PlayStation that much more awesome.

+ PRIMUS_420 on August 25th, 2012 at 2:34 pm said:

I P urcased sound shapes ( the ps vita version but it shouldnt matter its the same price as the ps3 version and you get the ps3 version with it) and i also purchased counter strike:GO, Both on the psn play list which means i should have gotten a 3 dollar voucher but i didnt… WHY YOU LIE?!?!?!?!?

+ xFuzylilManPeach on August 25th, 2012 at 5:06 pm said:

@44 you get your money back come sept guy. Chill

+ Thiagots85 on August 25th, 2012 at 6:36 pm said:

I got sound shapes, Papo & yo and CS:GO…. sound shapes is cute and fun… Papo & yo I’m really think of “meh”, but will finish someday… and cs:go is really good, tou i would like to have steam in it

+ boomstickbhg on August 25th, 2012 at 8:38 pm said:

Nice promotion to have in theory, but now it’s 2 years in a row with no game of any interest to me.

I’m glad some of the neat stuff like sound shapes are doing well, they’re just no where near the kind of game I’d enjoy.

Any thought on having more RPG, Strategic, Action, etc… games in next years version of this? 2/4 = shooters… tired of so much content on PSN/Plus being shooter oriented.

The other 2 games look like interesting and creative works, not for me, but good to see.

But in terms of getting me to buy with this type of promotion, you’re 0/8 in two tries.

Still, thanks on behalf of those who like these games, and whether I participate or not, PSN promotions are a nice thing to have.

+ luvtoseek on August 25th, 2012 at 9:33 pm said:

Kristine, I really like these Summer promotions; any chance the PSN store might create a “gifting system?” Where users can send a friend games / films / various content? Thanks!

+ Gadirok on August 26th, 2012 at 9:04 am said:

Its a shame that with the exception of Sound Shapes, the other titles don’t interest me at all. I may want to check out Papa & yo though.

PAGE 1 2