PS4 - Transistor

PS Vita System Software Update (v1.80) – Take The Tour

Don Mesa's Avatar + Posted by Don Mesa on Aug 27, 2012 // Director, Product Planning & Platform Software Innovation, SCEA

As most of you know we are releasing a pretty hefty System Software Update (v1.80) for PlayStation Vita (PS Vita), which will enhance your experience and also allow you to play PSone Classics on your device.

Before the update becomes available, I wanted to take the opportunity to walk you through some of the highlighted changes and give you a sneak preview of what you can expect.

PSone Classics

We are working hard to ensure that all of your favorite PS one Classics titles will be available for download directly on your PS Vita via PlayStation Store (PS Store) as soon as possible.

Here is a list of PSone Classics titles that will be available for download on 8/28:

• Arc the Lad
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • FINAL FANTASY VII
  • Hot Shots Golf 2
  • Jet Moto
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tomb Raider
  • Twisted Metal 2
  • Wild Arms

For those of you who have already purchased these titles, you will be able to re-download those games directly from your PS Store account or transfer them to your PS Vita directly from your PS3 at no extra charge.

I hope you enjoyed the video; for any additional information on PS Vita System Software Update v1.80, please visit this page when the update goes live.

As always, we appreciate and look forward to your feedback and questions below.

709 Comments

PAGE 1 9 10 11 12 13 15

+ Randinator-_001 on August 28th, 2012 at 8:59 am said:

Also, dear SCE, please fix the Vita so can Vita players can be seen online from a PS3. I can not see my friends online when they sign in from a Vita. Thank you.

+ Elvick_ on August 28th, 2012 at 9:01 am said:

@486: SCEA never promised that to my knowledge, SCEE did. And they are living up to it too. Gamescom is a EU conference afterall. Still, with Japan doing 100+ there is no reason for America to derp it up like this.

+ TwiztidPsycho420 on August 28th, 2012 at 9:08 am said:

i, for one, am disappointed in the lack of ps1 games supported on the vita. this thing has been out for 6 months already, and yall have yet to showcase the vitas true potential. i mean, certain games having only 8 players online, when the psp could support up to 24. whats the deal?! 9 ps1 titles? pathetic considering the psp could play ps1 titles even if it was brand new. should be at least between a 1/4 and 1/2 of the back catalogue of ps1 titles. im gettin to the point where i feel like i bought a 300 dollar mp3 player, cuz thats all its good for right now, it cant do half the things yall said it could at launch, for instance, the 3g gaming. what good is 3g gaming when almost every game or app requires wifi to be used properly or played online. still no HTML coding in the web browser either to watch videos online. Youtube apps dont count. that, IMO, is a cheap way to bypass that type of programming….

+ TwiztidPsycho420 on August 28th, 2012 at 9:08 am said:

…the psp could do just about everything. and so far, the vita
has been more of a disappointing letdown than a true next gen playstation portable console. you guys promised so much for
it before it launched, and since it launched, i find myself wanting a psp over a vita!
now dont get me wrong, i love my vita. im just VERY disappointed in Sony’s lack of development for this system.

that being said, keep trying Sony, i still have faith in you to bring the vita up to par with what you guys promised at launch

+ ThaddeusK on August 28th, 2012 at 9:09 am said:

I was also able to copy over Castlevania Chronicles and Resident Evil 1-3, to name a few, so there are definitely more available than they list.

+ boomstickbhg on August 28th, 2012 at 9:12 am said:

There’s been a lot of posts overnight so someone else may have said this, but at 200ish posts I hadn’t seen it.

I’ve got Suikoden and Parasite Eve sucessfully transfered in addtion to some that people already listed like wild arms, the FF games (not 5), threads of fate etc…

+ Demi_Wolf on August 28th, 2012 at 9:13 am said:

Was wondering, if I had the actual disc of a ps1 game can I put it into the vita?

+ donopatay on August 28th, 2012 at 9:17 am said:

Seems that EU PSN will be getting more than in the US at the moment.

+ jordantheboss1 on August 28th, 2012 at 9:25 am said:

Can somebody please tell me why there is no PS one classics support for South America?!

+ ARC_Stig on August 28th, 2012 at 9:32 am said:

I woulden’t mind more goodies for the PS3 :)

+ Heavenly_king on August 28th, 2012 at 9:36 am said:

there are more available for the VITA through the PS3!!

www(dot)neogaf(dot)com/forum/showthread.php?t=488789

+ supermegaandy on August 28th, 2012 at 9:41 am said:

Put spyro 1 2 3 in it and I will be soooooo bappy!

+ fmr32 on August 28th, 2012 at 9:43 am said:

The web browser is still useless. 2012 and still no flash player? Sony needs to wake up.
Stop giving us endless and useless updates. Just give us what we ve been asking from day one.
And why you guys never answer our comment?

+ r1dethelitening on August 28th, 2012 at 9:49 am said:

Thats incredibly frustrating that vita owners have to own a PS3 in order to get more than a handful of PS1 games. actually it wouldn’t be so bad if Europe wasn’t getting 10x more without even needing to own a ps3. Come on SCEA .______.
I was so excited for this update.. And now I sorta regret buying my vita in the first place, it seems like you guys don’t even care about it or your loyal customers, who, based on all these comments are quickly becoming less and less loyal. I’m not one to complain often about things like this, but this is ridiculous and I felt I should throw in my two cents to the company whom I paid $300+ to for a vita.

+ r1dethelitening on August 28th, 2012 at 9:50 am said:

To be fair though, cross buy was a really good move Sony, I’ll give you that.

+ onslaughtree on August 28th, 2012 at 9:51 am said:

I must say, It suprises me at the amount of Vita owners that claim to not own a ps3..This just seems kind of odd to me. I dont believe most of you’ll at all.
Someone asked about having to scroll though your whole download list to find your past ps1 games. All you need to do is go to the ps1 section and the ps1 games that you own will have the RED PSN symbol next to it. Showing that you already bought that ps1 title. so you can just go ahead and re-download.
As most others, im also bummed that Crash/ Spyro games are not available on this update, but with over 25 more that I can play on my Vita as of now, im truly thankful that sony got that right. ..Keep On Gaming.

+ death_by_wabbit on August 28th, 2012 at 9:53 am said:

There is a noticeable lack of red posts in the comment section today, anyone else notice that? What’s up with that I wonder?

+ boomstickbhg on August 28th, 2012 at 9:56 am said:

@507 I’m surprised by people who only own the handheld too.

But since I know more people who have only the Vita (in person) than both Ps3 and Vita (since PS3 costs more and doesn’t work when you’re out/at work) I can believe it.

So it’s a damned odd strategy to only allow a few to download through the Vita. Especially when this is one of the many features that should have worked at launch and still isn’t fully functional.

Make.Believe = sony’s make believe Vita support.

+ XpAcErX on August 28th, 2012 at 10:07 am said:

Of course 11 pages of posts and not one answer or reply to address the concerns of why the rest of the world has more ps1 titles at launch than the US does. Any firmware/maintenance posts on this blog they seem to never address any questions from the commentors.

+ r1dethelitening on August 28th, 2012 at 10:08 am said:

Im trying to understand why SCEA would only realease 1/10 of the games its european counterpart did.. maybe this is just an attempt by sony to give vita users some new content every week, but in all honesty, some of these games are almost 20 years old, so waiting to play them isnt exactly appealing.

+ yaboydonutman on August 28th, 2012 at 10:09 am said:

Why am i not able to get my classics yet?

+ Demi_Wolf on August 28th, 2012 at 10:12 am said:

Just confirmed. I even though i have all 3 resident evils installed into my ps3, all i did was download the resident evils again BUT DO NOT INSTALL then just go to you content manager and copy the games and they work.
US users only don’t know about the other regions and for people who own the ps3. I hope this helps anyone. What I’m wondering if there’s a way to copy the ps2 game from original disc to vita?

+ Demi_Wolf on August 28th, 2012 at 10:13 am said:

Edit: ps1 disc* not ps2 sorry for that mistake.

+ Muskera on August 28th, 2012 at 10:14 am said:

This is ridiculous. I’m almost selling my PS Vita to buy a 3DS and have something to play, since SCEA won’t sell me games. First I can’t change to my Japanese Account and play my Vita Games such Persona, and now I need a PS3 to play Castlevania: SOTN on the go? Besides the fact that if I moved to UK instead of USA I could get more games?! All this doesn’t make ANY sense. I work with advertising across the world and I must say to you guys: YOU’RE DOING THIS WRONG!

+ aro52 on August 28th, 2012 at 10:17 am said:

My favorite feature of this update?
No more “Please wait” loading screen every time the Friend’s List or Trophy List load up!!

Now they just need to kill the “game card loading” thing when you start up the system.

+ violent23 on August 28th, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

Where is Sony and their red text? Why is no one answering us?

I say fill this page up with comments asking for a reply from Sony as to why SCEA’s PS1 support is garbage.

+ death_by_wabbit on August 28th, 2012 at 10:21 am said:

Spyro The Dragon
Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Theme Hospital
Tomba!

+ SeongGiNo1 on August 28th, 2012 at 10:24 am said:

Okay guys, heres the deal!

1.8 Update was available 11:00 PM yesterday, and you can get it now still. The store was not updated yet as of this writing.

Also, Most PS1 games can be transfered from the PS3. I had 10 games, and the only one I wasn’t able to transfer was Crash 2. Im pretty sure this is just a matter of Ps Store crap as you all know the PSP had all games compatible, they just don’t make them available. Same here, all games are compatible, some are just not transferable/downloadable.

And I can also confirm that it works perfectly! As expected. You have the same options as the PSP/PS3 emulators, except you have the controls from Remote Play activated, or just customize them.

Thanks Sony! Keep on coming!

+ Falaut on August 28th, 2012 at 10:38 am said:

^________________________^ Finally, thank you.

Confirmed to work with PS3 transfer method: FFVII,FFVIII,FFIX
Confirmed not to work with PS3 transfer method: Legend of Mana :( and Chrono Cross :((. Oh yeah, and FFV doesn’t want to transfer either.

Please consider:
Screen shots for PSP games
Custom music being playable in PSOne classics and PSP games just like with Vita games (except some! looking you way Ninja Gaiden Purple Monkey Dishwasher Edition)

+ kvictor017 on August 28th, 2012 at 10:43 am said:

I copied Final Fantasy IX to my Vita yesterday. I couldn’t buy it in the Store on the Vita so I went through my PS3. It plays fine.

+ Falaut on August 28th, 2012 at 10:43 am said:

oh yeah, one more thing. Next on the To Do list is getting PS2 classics on the PSV. I know this thing can do it and it isn’t a hardware limitation. I love and support the HD rereleases on the PSV like Metal Gear and the upcoming Zone of Enders collection. But I know not all games are getting this treatment, and I, like many others, would love playing games like Ring of Red on their Vitas.

Keep at it.

+ death_by_wabbit on August 28th, 2012 at 10:44 am said:

#518
Yep, said the same thing a few post back. Seems like they have nothing to say o us at all today.

+ death_by_wabbit on August 28th, 2012 at 10:46 am said:

HEY SONY, ARE YOU EVEN READING THESE POST? NOW WOULD BE A GOOD TIME TO CHIME IN TO AT LEAST LET US KNOW IF YOU EVEN CARE ABOUT WHAT WE THINK

+ bigjrock25 on August 28th, 2012 at 10:49 am said:

Castlevania SOTN seems to work too im gonna try the rest of my psone games you cant download them directly from the store on the vita you have to download to the ps3 but dont install (download in the background) then plug and import to the vita good luck

+ Sauveur_Quebec on August 28th, 2012 at 10:50 am said:

I’m so impatient that the store get updated… at 4pm it will be 1am in my place (France) , I hope i won’t fall asleep :/

+ GangstaTroy on August 28th, 2012 at 10:50 am said:

NA 9 games EU 129 seems Unfair. Not to Mention where is my Legend Of Mana compatibility .

+ dodgedoors on August 28th, 2012 at 11:02 am said:

blah blah. Everyone is complaining about the same thing and i totally get it. Lack of games totally sucks. I can’t believe none of the crash’s work. But my biggest gripe is that there are no folders, or a style like ps3 has. how difficult would it be to be able to make folders. I hate having to move my icons up 4 pages everytime i add a new game or even a video. Fix this PLEASE SONY.

+ backfire2121 on August 28th, 2012 at 11:06 am said:

You can download LOD FFIX Crono Trigger on your ps3 and put it on the vita

+ herbalsticky on August 28th, 2012 at 11:06 am said:

I don’t know if someone has already brought this up, but, with the new update, USB charging does not work now. The box is checked in settings, however, there is no indication of charging on the interface.

+ dodgedoors on August 28th, 2012 at 11:07 am said:

@531 Usb charging works you just have to power off the vita when charging

+ dacalo on August 28th, 2012 at 11:16 am said:

@onslaughtree

Why is it hard to believe? Some people prefer mobility and just don’t have the time to sit and play games. PS3 and PS Vita are INDEPENDENT consoles, not accessories of each other, which makes this download workaround even more offensive to just Vita owners.

+ Spidey-guy on August 28th, 2012 at 11:17 am said:

wow.
11 pages of b****ing and you cowards at Sony haven’t made one reply!- Way to show your customers you care!

I’ve been a huge Sony fan since the PS1 days- every console at launch since then- every one.-
I’m done! Screw you guys and your complete lack of communication and competency. I believe you guys are intentionally trying to lose customers….well congrats! It’s working! You get what you deserve.

+ DION3TO on August 28th, 2012 at 11:19 am said:

@518. Thanks for the great list.

Sad Crash and Spyro series are not working ;(

+ heptaHydrate on August 28th, 2012 at 11:25 am said:

Thanks SONY for this update! Im sure it will rock when all the PSOne games will be out.
However, I would like to know why no games are available in the store on the Vita yet. Not even he 9 you mention. I would appreciate an answer as there is a lot of confution among us, your customers.

+ mcbuttz78 on August 28th, 2012 at 11:26 am said:

ty mr mesa,.. Another huge task for ps vita team is make camera zoom for recording as well picture taking. alos if it possible can you add something for night time picture taking.. lso if its possible can try to get a few ps2 classic on in from psn store when they update. Thank your for all you guys do, everyone really enjoys the hard work and effort and decicated listening that goes on

mcbuttz78
vp -psn legioniarre group

+ bigz12345432 on August 28th, 2012 at 11:29 am said:

does any one know what time the ps store update will go up for the vita in michigan cause i only own a vita this is crap man…. i wwant my freaking ps one games ugh….

+ heptaHydrate on August 28th, 2012 at 11:33 am said:

Ok, here is a complete official list of the titles which will be compatible and available on the Vita store from tomorrow (29th of August):

+ Shatgan on August 28th, 2012 at 11:34 am said:

Just download it on your ps3 and send it to your ps vita, that does the trick :)

+ bigz12345432 on August 28th, 2012 at 11:38 am said: