Bloodborne

Rock Band Blitzes onto PSN Tomorrow

Matthew Nordhaus's Avatar + Posted by Matthew Nordhaus on Aug 27, 2012 // Project Director, Rock Band Blitz

There’s a moment during game development when you have to let go of your game and release it to the world. You’re sitting in your office, thinking about all of the choices you made, wondering whether people will find it fun, engaging, beautiful, scary, funny. Is your vision going to be realized? And then you take a deep breath and let it go.

How do I know? I’m the Project Director for Rock Band Blitz, and for me that moment came about two months ago. I guided the development of the game over the course of the last year. The creative, smart, talented team that made Rock Band Blitz can’t wait for you to play the game on your console and see, at long last, the result of all of our hard work.

Rock Band Blitz on PSN

Rock Band Blitz is a downloadable PlayStation Network game. It’s the latest entry in the Rock Band family, and rather than using plastic instruments you play with a standard DualShock 3 controller. At its core, it’s still a rhythm beat-match game: you smash notes in time with the music. But in contrast to the full band experience of traditional Rock Band titles, Blitz is fast-paced — with over-the-top visuals and a wide range of crazy Power-ups that you can use strategically to increase your score.

For only $14.99, we’re shipping Rock Band Blitz with 25 tracks. That alone is a great value, with hours of gameplay right out of the digital box. Even sweeter, the game lets you play all of the music in your Rock Band Music Library – including songs you were able to export from previous Rock Band games and songs downloaded from the Music Store – in an entirely new way. And if you’re a fan of the full-instrument experience, the 25 songs that come with Rock Band Blitz can be played with a full band in Rock Band 3 at no additional cost!

Over the past week here at Harmonix, we’ve been running a company-wide Rock Band Blitz tournament, and it’s obvious that all of those tough game design choices are starting to pay off. We’re seeing employees tweeting about how they can’t stop playing, even though it’s 2:00AM on a weekday. They’re challenging each other to asynchronous Score Wars, and talking friendly smack to one another over who has the top spot on leaderboards for their favorite songs. Lunch conversation is now dominated by folks whispering strategy secrets to one another as they exchange their favorite Power-up loadouts for specific songs.

Rock Band Blitz on PSN

They liked it! They really, really liked it! (Hey, I’m as insecure as the next guy…) Some of the common themes I head last week:

• The game looks simple to play, and it is. You can pick it up and bang out a song, and starting having fun in minutes. But what looks simple on the surface is, in fact, deceptively deep and strategic. There are multiple “AHA!” moments as you learn to effectively use the different Power-ups, then combine them in different ways to use on different song types, and finally apply all that knowledge moment-to-moment as you play through the songs. I’d suggest starting with Blast Notes and Bottle Rockets as you’re learning to play; they’re easy to use, but super effective… and they make stuff blow up!
  • Rock Band Blitz is instantly compatible with every Rock Band DLC track, giving people huge libraries of music to choose from. Getting those tracks to work in Rock Band Blitz is simple: you don’t have to do anything – any Rock Band music content you have on your hard drive will show up in the song list at no additional charge.
  • Rock Band Blitz sounds absolutely killer on headphones, like the official wireless PS3 Stereo Headset. You’ll be hopping around tracks and playing all the instrument parts, but we accentuate the track that you’re playing on, so you can groove along to your music like never before. Settle in to your armchair, strap on your headphones, and lose yourself in the music and the world of Rock Band Blitz’s “Rock City.”

We really hope you give the game a shot when it hits PlayStation Network tomorrow. There will be a free trial available, so you’ve got nothing to lose trying it out. But fair warning: we’re hearing people are getting addicted, so get a good night’s sleep before the game’s launch.

The Rock Band Blitz team here at Harmonix is really proud of the final game; we hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Let us know what you think!

+ Major_Hoare on August 27th, 2012 at 8:34 am said:

I’m confused: is this a racing game or a music game or a rainbow unicorn fireworks game?!?

+ G-Force08 on August 27th, 2012 at 8:36 am said:

This game looks like it would have been a perfect fit for the Vita. Any plans to bring it to the handheld?

+ vanwinkle on August 27th, 2012 at 8:43 am said:

I need this on Vita. Rock Band Unplugged on PSP was my favorite Rock Band game, since I vastly prefer using a traditional controller in rhythm games. Any plans? Thoughts?

+ vanwinkle on August 27th, 2012 at 8:45 am said:

Oh, speaking of which, why was Rock Band Unplugged never made available digitally? I would be perfectly content just having that exact game to play on Vita through PSP emulation!

+ Smashman on August 27th, 2012 at 8:52 am said:

Typo on the price. It’s $14.99, not $15.99.

+ Fausk on August 27th, 2012 at 8:56 am said:

I thought it was $14.99?

Looking forward to it either way! Been excited since it was announced.

+ sprodigy on August 27th, 2012 at 9:04 am said:

Reminds me of Frequency and/or Amplitude! Good to see you guys going back to your roots over at Harmonix! :)

+ BlueBl1zzard on August 27th, 2012 at 9:04 am said:

Looks very fun, I will definitely be trying the demo. And I agree, please look into releasing this and/or Rock Band unplugged for the vita

+ BillyBoiDaPrince on August 27th, 2012 at 10:32 am said:

This game is overpriced. tony hawk is a way better buy than this

+ gerardatron on August 27th, 2012 at 10:37 am said:

Never got a Rock Band game for the PS3 but I’m so glad you can play the older games’ DLC songs on Rock Band Blitz. That’s great news.

But this should really really be available for the Vita, as well. It just screams VITA to me (and a lot of others, evidently)

+ CrusaderForever on August 27th, 2012 at 10:39 am said:

Thank you Harmonix!! I have been a supporter through all iterations of Rock Band! I am glad to continue this ritual. I have been looking forward to this. I am sure the game will rock but even if it doesn’t the 25 tracks for $14.99 is a steal!! So shut up and take my money!! :)

+ nafscub on August 27th, 2012 at 10:46 am said:

Counting down the hours….

+ SalMoriarty on August 27th, 2012 at 11:01 am said:

I’m probably one of the few people to have bought songs for RB:Unplugged. Will they work with Blitz?

+ SalMoriarty on August 27th, 2012 at 11:06 am said:

Also, happy to see you’re finally putting out a sequel for the Frequency/Amplitude line of games.

+ MartiniMan on August 27th, 2012 at 11:21 am said:

Vee-Ta! Vee-Ta! Vee-Ta!

Bought RB: Unplugged. And thanks to them not offering it on the Vita (along with other games they should have had available) I still must keep the little PSP around since I LOVE that game.

Can you create a kickstarter fund for porting this title over to the Vita, then post about it in the Vita communities? I have my whatever $$ you need ready to contribute.

+ MystaSkratch on August 27th, 2012 at 11:27 am said:

Can’t wait for Blitz! Day one buy for me. And all RB DLC is compatible with this game! Since I already own all the DLC, I will have over 2600 songs to play on the first day. So many songs, not enough time. Thank you Harmonix!

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on August 27th, 2012 at 12:22 pm said:

you made an awesome deal out of these game and its compatiblity with RB3 and DLC, just for this you deserve a lot of support from gamers. Definitely getting it

+ Axecution on August 27th, 2012 at 12:31 pm said:

SO PUMPED buying this tomorrow >.>

Somewhat disappointed at the whole “2 buttons instead of 3″ and the lack of an online multiplayer and the whole one difficulty thing and the fact that there’s no remix mode but dangit IM STILL EXCITED.

Hopefully you guys get together and make a true sequel to FreQuency and Amplitude. That would make my life. btw RIP Amp servers. :( The ZanQuance hack is officially useless with PS2 online gone.

Matthew Nordhaus's Avatar

+ Matthew Nordhaus on August 28th, 2012 at 7:02 am said:

Well, try the demo, and see if you like it. It’s fair to be worried that “it’s only two buttons.”

But if you read some of the reviews you may find that many people who were also skeptical ended up being surprised at how strategic and deep the gameplay actually is.

+ Hetz76 on August 27th, 2012 at 1:24 pm said:

Can’t wait for this game tomorrow!!! As others have said, it would be awesome on the Vita. Please port it over!

+ Superstone on August 27th, 2012 at 2:25 pm said:

This would be an amazing game for the Vita. We can’t even play Beats on the Vita and I love that game.

+ plaztiksyke on August 27th, 2012 at 2:46 pm said:

Here’s another vote for a VIta version with cross-play. If this were another game that offered both the PS3 and Vita versions for $15 (like Sound Shapes and others), it would likely be a day one purchase for me.

The only other thing that would make it a day one purchase would be if the audio quality was better than previous Rock Band games. RB3 admittedly had good audio quality, but I’m still longing for a game where at least some of the tracks are lossless and/or 320kbit/sec Ogg. So, what’s the audio codec/bitrate and how is it better than RB3?

Also, does the game render in 1080p natively?

+ ShardYu on August 27th, 2012 at 4:00 pm said:

I will get this game if it has a PS Vita version.

+ supvic on August 27th, 2012 at 4:10 pm said:

Please make a REAL sequel to Freq/Amplitude, I’m BEGGING you! I do appreciate this attempt with it’s rock band-esque styling to convert that new market, but really, when you aim for the middleground you end up pleasing no one. Most of the negative comments about Blitz are simply Rock Band players expecting a Rock Band game, which should be expected because it looks like Rock Band and even has that in the title!

The Rock Band players will be temporarily amused and the Freq/Amp players will feel like short changed. Make pure Rock Band games for Rock Band players, and real Freq/Amplitude games for the rest of us!
Don’t go halfway between both worlds like Blitz, put all your effort into one game aimed at one particular market and you’ll excel and please everyone.
If that’s really too much to ask for, simply give us a Amplitude HD remake! That game was near perfect and will definitely be the benchmark that players will be comparing this to.

+ supvic on August 27th, 2012 at 4:13 pm said:

and only 2 buttons, seriously? what a joke.. this is going to be even more backwards than Frequency.

+ TubaDude49 on August 27th, 2012 at 4:32 pm said:

All hail the OverNord!

Matthew Nordhaus's Avatar

+ Matthew Nordhaus on August 28th, 2012 at 7:03 am said:

That’s “All Glory to the OverNord” please.

+ Ntl_713 on August 27th, 2012 at 5:32 pm said:

Please release this on the Vita!!!

+ jazzyrider on August 27th, 2012 at 5:37 pm said:

Looks great. Agree with a few above– would love to see this on the Vita please!

+ powell72992 on August 27th, 2012 at 7:53 pm said:

Looks Awesome but i agree please make a Vta version BC this reminds me of RockBand:Unplugged

+ StackedPancakes on August 27th, 2012 at 11:20 pm said:

I support what #22 says.
my only gripe with Amplitude was that it didn’t include song editing like Frequency.
I’ve long been hoping for a follow-up game, but never heard of anything until this. and this looks… “eh” at best.
So, Please Please Please give us a Freq/Amp sequel. preferably before the world blows up.

+ cam_eltoh on August 27th, 2012 at 11:26 pm said:

“So Far Away” Avenged Sevenfold
“Spoonman” Soundgarden
“Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)” Kelly Clarkson
“These Days” Foo Fighters
“We Are Young” Fun. feat. Janelle Monáe
“The Wicker Man” Iron Maiden

All in all I’d say its a pretty crappy list :/

Matthew Nordhaus's Avatar

+ Matthew Nordhaus on August 28th, 2012 at 7:05 am said:

So what you guys are saying is that you want it on the Vita?

No specific plans right now for any ports, but obviously we would love to get this game in the hands of as many people as possible, so your message has been received loud and clear!

+ dady5000 on August 28th, 2012 at 7:50 am said:

Thank You So Much Mr. Nordhaus for your hard work on the game. I hope too get my grubby little hands on it later today, and yes a PS Vita version would be just fantastic.

+ Khouri86 on August 28th, 2012 at 8:53 am said:

I miss Amplitude and Frequency, and this looks pretty promising, except for the fact that it is only 2 buttons. I’m sure there some added features that I’m not 100% aware of, but can we have 3 buttons or more? Having played and own almost every Harmonix game, I think long time fans would LOVE to have ‘Amplitude 2′ even if it was renamed Rock Band.

+ Khouri86 on August 28th, 2012 at 8:57 am said:

cam_eltoh, kind of agree with you on the ‘crappy set list’, but after I heard it will work with the 500+ songs on my harddrive, I didn’t even care what 20-30 songs it came with, and I’m sure others are in the same boat as me, Iron Maiden Flight 666 would be all I need :D

+ C-Murph666 on August 28th, 2012 at 9:07 am said:

This should’ve been on the Vita to begin with…

Not sure how you’re going to handle DLC on the PS3 to Vita though.

+ ParWarrior on August 28th, 2012 at 12:36 pm said:

When does the game come out? It says August 28th, but thats today, and its almost 4pm and still no game. WTH?!?

+ Gizmoi on September 1st, 2012 at 7:54 am said:

Definitely a Vita version! Although DLC could be an issue, I know I for one have quite a lot :P
But please please make it Cross-Buy, I do not like having to pay for the same game twice :/