Uncharted 4

PAX 2012: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes is Coming to PS3

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Sep 01, 2012 // Senior Manager, Social Media

UPDATE: Text smoothed, gameplay video added above

At PAX 2012, Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima showed off 15 11 minutes of gameplay footage from his upcoming PS3 game Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. The demo began with an in-engine cinematic set in a rain-drenched prison camp. The sprawling camp showed off FOX Engine’s advanced shader, lighting, and particle effects. Mud glistened and rain danced amidst the pervasive, bone-chilling gloom. As the cinema continued, we met a mysterious man with a mutilated face and wide-brimmed hat who later led troops away from the base, kicking the footage into a gameplay demo as Naked Snake (Big Boss) moved into position.

The prison camp – a huge open-world environment riddled with entry points – pointed to an evolution of MGS3 and MGS4′s sandboxes. As Snake made his way closer, Kojima pointed out nearby APCs and helicopters and confirmed that Snake could commandeer and pilot them if the player desired. As if to prove the point, Snake then hopped into a Jeep to gain access to the base, evading a roaming tank in the process. Snake then deployed a flare to deploy a friendly helicopter, something Kojima said that players could do “at any time.” The helicopter will enable you to fly between missions and even to other countries. Kojima also even mentioned that the player will be able to customize the music played by the helicopter, which in the demo blared out Ride of the Valkyries.

“We’re not going to say that it’s Metal Gear Solid 5,” Kojima said after the demo, “but it is a prologue.” Kojima explained that the demo video was a recording of gameplay rendered on PC hardware that was similarly equipped to a PS3, and that the final game should closely resemble the video.

Kojima also mentioned that he is personally overseeing the creation of Ground Zeroes. Watch the video demo at the top of this post to see Ground Zeroes in action.

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ BossmanCCrowder1 on September 1st, 2012 at 2:08 pm said:

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!

+ Chaos_Bladez on September 1st, 2012 at 2:09 pm said:

Can’t wait! Also, the fanboys will be pretty angry when this isn’t going to be a PS3 exclusive.

+ mafia28 on September 1st, 2012 at 2:10 pm said:

Wooooooooooooooo!!!!

Metal Gear is by far the greatest series of all time. Thank You Kojima!

Hope this is console exclusive or at least have some exclusive content, regardless I cant wait!

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 1st, 2012 at 2:24 pm said:

It is multiplatform, just to set the record straight. Would be great to see some exclusive content, but I don’t reckon we’ll know anything for a loooong time on that.

+ Wario64 on September 1st, 2012 at 2:10 pm said:

give us the video now. SHUMAN PLS :)

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 1st, 2012 at 2:24 pm said:

(^_^) 3pm, buddy!

+ Bane143 on September 1st, 2012 at 2:13 pm said:

I’m a metal gear fan since the debut on the ps and am really looking forward to this.
Is it going to be a playstation exclusive or multi console?

+ LandmineSalesman on September 1st, 2012 at 2:13 pm said:

Upload the video!!!!

+ StuntF50 on September 1st, 2012 at 2:13 pm said:

Do you know if it’s PS3-only, Sid?

+ buffpotato on September 1st, 2012 at 2:13 pm said:

Will be skipping. MGS4 was too disappointing for me. I don’t think I’d play another MGS game anymore. I would play a new Ac!d though, but that has more to do with my love of card based and turn based gameplay…

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 1st, 2012 at 2:24 pm said:

An Acid fan! Interesting. I’ve never played it, and always kind of regretted it.

+ fruitcakeS101 on September 1st, 2012 at 2:14 pm said:

This should be tagged as Literotica.

+ Thwip on September 1st, 2012 at 2:14 pm said:

Glad I made a weekend PSBlog login, can’t wait to see the footage!

+ Monterossa on September 1st, 2012 at 2:14 pm said:

Remake MGS1 again please.

+ B-Real206 on September 1st, 2012 at 2:14 pm said:

should have snagged this to be exclusive but whatever as long as we still get to play this. Just don’t let the other guys snag exclusive dlc or timed.

+ Polishin8r on September 1st, 2012 at 2:15 pm said:

Yes, my wallet is ready !! I am so buying the special edition DAY1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Nithorias on September 1st, 2012 at 2:16 pm said:

an open world Metal Gear Solid made by Hideo Kojima!!!!! O.o OMFG, best news of the year, seriously!

+ Dantes_Ragnarok on September 1st, 2012 at 2:17 pm said:

wow…
I love MGS and all (snake is probably my fav char ever) but the series need a rest.
I would like to see kojima working on semething else. MGS4 and PW were awesome but a ZOE 3 would have been better than a new MGS (for now). I dont want to see MGS turned into assassins creed.

+ dmc123 on September 1st, 2012 at 2:18 pm said:

@ 7 (Buffpotato)
Please understand that you are in the extreme minority. MGS4 is widely considered the most technically advanced game to date .. and it was released 6 years ago. Additionally, it’s considered as one of the greatest games of all time.

Just thought I would point that out to you. .. to keep things in perspective.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 1st, 2012 at 2:25 pm said:

I’m a huge MGS4 fan — it might even be my favorite in the series. But different strokes for different folks and all.

+ Neo-CTU on September 1st, 2012 at 2:19 pm said:

It’s gonna be AWESOME!, Thank you Sid, you always bring the good news :)

+ TILLEMANS on September 1st, 2012 at 2:19 pm said:

I think its multcosole(xbox&ps3) but i cant wait im like mgs biggest fan!

+ gerneric123 on September 1st, 2012 at 2:20 pm said:

So much for all FOX Engine games being on Vita. Another lie from Kojima. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 1st, 2012 at 2:27 pm said:

Didn’t catch any references to Vita in this panel.

+ Daush on September 1st, 2012 at 2:28 pm said:

Spanish comment here: “excelente!!!!”

+ Xallele on September 1st, 2012 at 2:35 pm said:

Will it make full use of a Blu-Ray disk like that of MGS4?

+ DiegoFunhouse on September 1st, 2012 at 2:37 pm said:

I’m a huge fan of MGS games but how long will we have to wait for this one???
It’s been more than 3 years since they announced “Rising” and it hasn’t even been released and now there’s a another new game in development.
This is kind of annoying.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 2nd, 2012 at 3:03 pm said:

Not too long, I hope!

+ xKakashi209x on September 1st, 2012 at 2:38 pm said:

In mgs4 otacon said to switch to another disc but remember it was ps3. I wonder if they will be a difference if they use that again for this game. Will it say on the xbox version its time to switch to the next disc because you don’t have a ps3? lol I can’t wait to see the video.

+ TILLEMANS on September 1st, 2012 at 2:39 pm said:

So in 20mintues we will get 2 c the trailer?!?!

+ TILLEMANS on September 1st, 2012 at 2:42 pm said:

I thinjking late 2013 early 2014!

+ TILLEMANS on September 1st, 2012 at 2:43 pm said:

#22 mgs4 isnt going to xbox360 or i dont get what u mean by that o.O

+ Dantes_Ragnarok on September 1st, 2012 at 2:44 pm said:

@21
dont forget that Rising was cancelled.
Then Platinum games decided to give it a second chance (feb 2013 is its release date)
MGS PW was released in 2010 and the HD version came after a year.
wee seriously need a rest xD

+ D-Squad3 on September 1st, 2012 at 2:44 pm said:

Also on the 360? BOO

+ Berae on September 1st, 2012 at 2:44 pm said:

It will be awesome!!! but you know what would have been even more awesome…. that game for ps4 ;)

+ xKakashi209x on September 1st, 2012 at 2:47 pm said:

@25

Its multiplatform

+ jose213jose on September 1st, 2012 at 2:48 pm said:

Hideo is so awesome and i know that MGS5 will be super awesome just like MGS4 was.

+ xKakashi209x on September 1st, 2012 at 2:48 pm said:

No I was referring to mgs4 reference. I know thats not going multi

+ AC1D_SNAKE91 on September 1st, 2012 at 2:50 pm said:

Can’t wait to see this, man I’m such a Metal Gear fan that my friends call me the walking Metal Gear encyclopedia.

+ GMFCO311 on September 1st, 2012 at 2:52 pm said:

So Gameinformer.com got their info wrong then? Because they are saying this is just a PS3 exclusive, not Multi-platform????

+ deltakong on September 1st, 2012 at 2:55 pm said:

It would be a travesty for a metal gear solid game to launch on the xbox. if that is the case I definitely will not buy it, simply because it is the clearest indicator of a technically inferior game. I pray that @ least MGS5 will stay sony exclusive

+ MarinoBrea on September 1st, 2012 at 2:56 pm said:

“The world is born from zero”

-Big Boss

+ ALARM-cIock on September 1st, 2012 at 2:58 pm said:

Yes… YES!

+ TILLEMANS on September 1st, 2012 at 2:58 pm said:

#34 agreed if they build it on ps3 it will look much better but if made on xbox it would not look as good.

+ jokersoccer13 on September 1st, 2012 at 2:58 pm said:

I AM SO EXCITED LOVE MGS SERIES LOVE MY PLAYSTATION 3 , come on sony you should bought kojima productions a long time ago!!!

+ inFAMOUS-787 on September 1st, 2012 at 2:59 pm said:

Anyone else bothered that its multiplatform…….?

+ ALARM-cIock on September 1st, 2012 at 2:59 pm said:

May I request you add the gameplay demonstration to the PS store also?

+ GMFCO311 on September 1st, 2012 at 2:59 pm said:

Well if this is Multi-plat, it sounds like the PS3 and PC are the lead platforms anyways! Lets hope this wont turn into a Skyrim debacle! lol

+ gerneric123 on September 1st, 2012 at 3:00 pm said:

“you should bought kojima productions a long time ago”

That would require buying Konami, a huge multinational company that works in a variety of industries that Sony has no interest in. Why would they drop potentially billions on that?

+ TILLEMANS on September 1st, 2012 at 3:00 pm said:

Xbox peoole see how awasome MGS5. And say hey i want to play mgs4,1 week later he bought a ps3 and his xbox is collecting dust in gamestop. O.o

+ nolson on September 1st, 2012 at 3:01 pm said:

lol @34 for not buying it simply because its also on xbox…we all know you’re still going to get it dude. Stop being ridiculous

+ TILLEMANS on September 1st, 2012 at 3:02 pm said:

The trailer should be out!

+ JDilinger on September 1st, 2012 at 3:05 pm said:

So hype.

+ deltakong on September 1st, 2012 at 3:06 pm said:

Ennio Morricone!!!!!!!!!!!! Great choice

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on September 1st, 2012 at 3:07 pm said:

I’m really psyched for this! Could we also get MGS Portable Ops on Vita, so we can experience the full story of Big Boss?

+ Goddess_Katheryn on September 1st, 2012 at 3:09 pm said:

I’m so excited for this right now! :D

BRING IT ON!