Far Cry 4

PAX 2012: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes is Coming to PS3

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Sep 01, 2012 // Senior Manager, Social Media

UPDATE: Text smoothed, gameplay video added above

At PAX 2012, Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima showed off 15 11 minutes of gameplay footage from his upcoming PS3 game Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. The demo began with an in-engine cinematic set in a rain-drenched prison camp. The sprawling camp showed off FOX Engine’s advanced shader, lighting, and particle effects. Mud glistened and rain danced amidst the pervasive, bone-chilling gloom. As the cinema continued, we met a mysterious man with a mutilated face and wide-brimmed hat who later led troops away from the base, kicking the footage into a gameplay demo as Naked Snake (Big Boss) moved into position.

The prison camp – a huge open-world environment riddled with entry points – pointed to an evolution of MGS3 and MGS4′s sandboxes. As Snake made his way closer, Kojima pointed out nearby APCs and helicopters and confirmed that Snake could commandeer and pilot them if the player desired. As if to prove the point, Snake then hopped into a Jeep to gain access to the base, evading a roaming tank in the process. Snake then deployed a flare to deploy a friendly helicopter, something Kojima said that players could do “at any time.” The helicopter will enable you to fly between missions and even to other countries. Kojima also even mentioned that the player will be able to customize the music played by the helicopter, which in the demo blared out Ride of the Valkyries.

“We’re not going to say that it’s Metal Gear Solid 5,” Kojima said after the demo, “but it is a prologue.” Kojima explained that the demo video was a recording of gameplay rendered on PC hardware that was similarly equipped to a PS3, and that the final game should closely resemble the video.

Kojima also mentioned that he is personally overseeing the creation of Ground Zeroes. Watch the video demo at the top of this post to see Ground Zeroes in action.

+ spyderphi on September 1st, 2012 at 3:15 pm said:

Wow! That was amazing! when can I pre-order!?

+ jokersoccer13 on September 1st, 2012 at 3:15 pm said:

JUST SAW THE TRAILER WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW THANKS PLAYSTATION BLOG GUYS YOU GUYS ARE AWESOMEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ deltakong on September 1st, 2012 at 3:15 pm said:

Men wearing ponchos, Ennio Morricone, and a villain dressed as a cowboy, coincidence?

+ CullenX on September 1st, 2012 at 3:18 pm said:

Very nice. But that has to be the PC version being shown. Sorry to burst anyone’s bubbles.

+ deltakong on September 1st, 2012 at 3:18 pm said:

@ #44 ff13, ff13-2
nuff said

+ inFAMOUS-787 on September 1st, 2012 at 3:19 pm said:

OMG….i need to go change my draws now…..

+ EmperorKorea on September 1st, 2012 at 3:21 pm said:

LOL at anyone who thought it was going to be PS3 exclusive. Those days are long gone.

+ Freducken on September 1st, 2012 at 3:23 pm said:

That transition from Video to Gameplay was awesome!!! I am super excited for this. Also, I am very glad they are still using the MSF patch as they transition to Fox. In my opinion that patch is the best one in the series (especially love the symbolism with Pangaea in the Skull).

+ nolson on September 1st, 2012 at 3:24 pm said:

@54. so what? Their are many games that are multiplat that are incredible games. Not buying simply because its on another system just shows you are a mindless fanboy. If you were a fan of metal gear you would get it. “nuff said”

+ The_GreatGeek on September 1st, 2012 at 3:25 pm said:

I was convinced for the longest time that the intro was Live-action, are the graphics really that beautiful?

+ Freducken on September 1st, 2012 at 3:26 pm said:

By the way, I am hoping this series (probably after this game) ends with Big Boss facing off against Solid Snake in Zanzibarland (or was it Outer Heaven?)!

+ mike1234flynn on September 1st, 2012 at 3:26 pm said:

Oh. My. God. Any release date? My guess is late 2014?

+ Dantes_Ragnarok on September 1st, 2012 at 3:26 pm said:

ok, you know what guys, I’m going to eat my words xD
I was afraid to see MGS turn into Assassins Creed and thank god I was proven wrong.
thank you kojima for the awesome quality in your games!!!

+ sleepy92 on September 1st, 2012 at 3:26 pm said:

That footage blew me away. It looks incredible! I hope this game is also coming to PS Vita.

+ DjBoSaNaC89 on September 1st, 2012 at 3:29 pm said:

I am a huge fan of the MGS serie, my favorite game.
But i hope this is a this gen console game, because the graphics dident exited me, as i tought.

But thank god there is a prequel on the serie.
To bad, that sony dont pay alot of money for exclusive game like this :(

+ jimfear on September 1st, 2012 at 3:29 pm said:

its a ps3/pc exclusive?

+ deltakong on September 1st, 2012 at 3:29 pm said:

@58 I said technically inferior. Not necessarily a bad game, but a lower quality one. Its a shame that two of the best looking video games, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Killzone 2, and still are far more advanced than multiplatform games that come out today. I am not buying because its on an other system, I am discouraged because as a rational person it is clear that multiplatform games inherently are lower quality than PS3 exclusives

+ deltakong on September 1st, 2012 at 3:30 pm said:

not not buying*

+ MarkakaJin on September 1st, 2012 at 3:31 pm said:

The FOX engine is extremely impressive and I absolutely can’t wait for this game. I’m more excited about this game than Metal Gear Rising.

+ Dannym5050 on September 1st, 2012 at 3:31 pm said:

HOLY S***! I CAN’T WAIT!!!

+ KnifingGrimace on September 1st, 2012 at 3:34 pm said:

There are no words for how excited I am for this game. I was hoping for an MG1/2 remake, but this is even better than I imagined- a direct sequel to PeaceWalker?! My heart stopped… day one buy, guys. Day. One. Buy.

+ shady965X on September 1st, 2012 at 3:34 pm said:

+ listenkids on September 1st, 2012 at 3:34 pm said:

Quite emotional, a shame it’s been knocked to multiplatform, first day regardless.

+ cjones8710 on September 1st, 2012 at 3:35 pm said:

This looks amazing. If it looks like this on the PS3 i will be very happy.

Anyone else think that when Big Boss lifts his night vision goggle type things that he look like Ron Pearlman?

+ Deekman on September 1st, 2012 at 3:37 pm said:

Looks great, now how about a price drop on Peace Walker for PSP PSN to celebrate!

+ JMichaelJ on September 1st, 2012 at 3:42 pm said:

Shut up and take my money! Now as for the story, I love how it seems to take place between MGS: PW and Metal Gear (NES)

+ o3to16 on September 1st, 2012 at 3:44 pm said:

og it looks ao darn awesome an i take it this must be a few years after the peace walker story line

+ dirtyoldman69 on September 1st, 2012 at 3:46 pm said:

Holy damnnnnnn words cant desribe the beauty i just saw , im speechless . Im super pumped for this , that gave me a mental orgasm :D :D :D

+ Apeman24 on September 1st, 2012 at 3:46 pm said:

Wish it was exclusive. I own all the core MGS games love them. Wish I could have more SOLID but I do love NAKED too. CAN NOT WAIT. And to those of you who think, oh now is a good time to get on the MGS wagon, go buy the download psn mgs1,the hd collection, and mgs4. I would say it would be around 60 buck for MG MG2 MGS1 MGS2 MGS3 MGS4 MGSPW.

+ LeO2PaC on September 1st, 2012 at 3:47 pm said:

CAN SOMEONE TRY TO EXPLAIN ME THIS?? : it seems to be 1971, south america… why is Big Boss infiltrating a FOX facility if he created and was the chief of the Fox hound unit… at least he was in Zanzibar … im confused :(

+ ANTIBUSH9000 on September 1st, 2012 at 3:50 pm said:

will this be a port from PS3 to Xbox 360 or will they try and Port it to The Xbox 360 from the PS3 I hope they Port it from the PS3 that way they don’t have to tone down the graphics.

+ RACROX on September 1st, 2012 at 3:52 pm said:

So I’m guessing since it’s mutliplatform that means on PS3 and XBOX not PS3 and Vita right? Honestly I WAS disappointed when MGS went to XBOX at least all those guys now get to experience the MGS awesomeness (though they never get to feel the joy of MGS1 or MGS4, mwa ha ha), but with that being said, MGS4 took FULL advantage of blu-ray’s significantly higher-than-dvd capacity, I really hope Kojima doesn’t water this game down just to fit on one XBOX disk, then again, he didn’t do that with MGS1′s CDs so why would he start now?

+ TubaDude49 on September 1st, 2012 at 3:52 pm said:

Nice. I’m so glad it’s another game with Boss. I’ve only played 3 and Peace Walker, so it’s good I can keep going in chronological order.

+ gamer_316 on September 1st, 2012 at 3:52 pm said:

I don’t see how this could be multi-platform, the Xbox couldn’t handle MGS4 unless it had like 5 discs or so & i’m sure Ground Zeroes will be far greater in terms of power

+ mallbros on September 1st, 2012 at 3:56 pm said:

@79 there is no way this game is set in 1971,…..this is after peace walker as big boss now lokks like the big boss from mgs4 not the mgs3 and pw big boss….didn’t you heard about paz and chico being held right? please sony put peace walker psp on the vita store now there is no sense its in ps3 psn but not on vita psn as it is playable on vita not on ps3…also would like to have a price cut since a superios hd version is availabe for only 19.99 while the psp one is for 29.99 what gives?

+ snakeeyes211 on September 1st, 2012 at 3:57 pm said:

I just want to say WoW!!! where can I put my money down for that game

+ LUGIEZ on September 1st, 2012 at 3:59 pm said:

I am glad to see Snake back after MGS4 Guns of The Patriots. And it’s just a prologue he says? Haha, well I guess the real new full game will come with the “PS4,” but judging on this video I will be happy experiencing the prologue when it comes out.

+ mallbros on September 1st, 2012 at 3:59 pm said:

im excited about this game…but kinda sad cause its going multiplat now because in terms of power and graphics there is nothing like an exclusive AAA title…or they could release the ps3 version earlier like the 360 timed exclusive dlc’s in other games to be fair as MGS series in whole rose to stardom in a sony platform…..hope mgs5 will be exclusive to sony though(ps4)….

+ TheDeity on September 1st, 2012 at 4:00 pm said:

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

+ mallbros on September 1st, 2012 at 4:01 pm said:

@86
if you are talking about snake in mgs4 (solid/OLD) this isn’t him its Naked Snake or Big Boss…

+ xCh0z3n-0n3x on September 1st, 2012 at 4:01 pm said:

This is definitely a sequel to Peace Walker…..i can already see people running out to buy Peace Walker now that this one has been shown.

+ NinjaMicWZ on September 1st, 2012 at 4:03 pm said:

omg, I’m having the opposite of a stroke. The trailer makes me feel like I’m a kid again, waiting for games in magazine pages, and more excited than words can explain.

Day Negative 1 B.C.

I’m buying whatever system it’s for, and if it’s on PS3 I’m rebuying one even though I said I didn’t want one again unless they make new, super-slim/small digital only model.

The wait begins.

+ Rudymiami11 on September 1st, 2012 at 4:04 pm said:

that looks nothing like the snake in MGS4 snake was supposed to be dying y is he looking like he’s getting better and that can’t be big boss cuz he’s dead in MGS4

+ Carl-G on September 1st, 2012 at 4:06 pm said:

Hopefully that ‘FOX Engine’ will get the best out of the PS3 :P i.e it will look better than the Xbox 360 version :D (shame it’s multi-format, oh well) :-/

+ nocknik on September 1st, 2012 at 4:07 pm said:

hi, sid. any word if there is a vita version?

+ mallbros on September 1st, 2012 at 4:07 pm said:

did you play the whole series?the one in the trailer isn’t SOLID SNAKE it is NAKED SNAKE AKA BIG BOSS….this game is set before mgs4 i suggest you play all mgs games to understand it better

+ unholyrevenger72 on September 1st, 2012 at 4:10 pm said:

It looked great but that was more like 9 min of cutscene, 1 min of gameplay and 1 min of credits

+ creed_20 on September 1st, 2012 at 4:20 pm said:

oh god…i hope Metal Gear doesn’t die because poor/stupid xbot360…
and BIG BOSS FTW

+ FIREKNIGHT2029 on September 1st, 2012 at 4:21 pm said:

WOW!!!!!!!!!! MY BODY IS READY!

+ DION3TO on September 1st, 2012 at 4:22 pm said: