PS4-Watch_Dogs

PAX 2012: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes is Coming to PS3

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Sep 01, 2012 // Senior Manager, Social Media

UPDATE: Text smoothed, gameplay video added above

At PAX 2012, Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima showed off 15 11 minutes of gameplay footage from his upcoming PS3 game Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. The demo began with an in-engine cinematic set in a rain-drenched prison camp. The sprawling camp showed off FOX Engine’s advanced shader, lighting, and particle effects. Mud glistened and rain danced amidst the pervasive, bone-chilling gloom. As the cinema continued, we met a mysterious man with a mutilated face and wide-brimmed hat who later led troops away from the base, kicking the footage into a gameplay demo as Naked Snake (Big Boss) moved into position.

The prison camp – a huge open-world environment riddled with entry points – pointed to an evolution of MGS3 and MGS4′s sandboxes. As Snake made his way closer, Kojima pointed out nearby APCs and helicopters and confirmed that Snake could commandeer and pilot them if the player desired. As if to prove the point, Snake then hopped into a Jeep to gain access to the base, evading a roaming tank in the process. Snake then deployed a flare to deploy a friendly helicopter, something Kojima said that players could do “at any time.” The helicopter will enable you to fly between missions and even to other countries. Kojima also even mentioned that the player will be able to customize the music played by the helicopter, which in the demo blared out Ride of the Valkyries.

“We’re not going to say that it’s Metal Gear Solid 5,” Kojima said after the demo, “but it is a prologue.” Kojima explained that the demo video was a recording of gameplay rendered on PC hardware that was similarly equipped to a PS3, and that the final game should closely resemble the video.

Kojima also mentioned that he is personally overseeing the creation of Ground Zeroes. Watch the video demo at the top of this post to see Ground Zeroes in action.

+ Robbie_G_lrish on September 1st, 2012 at 4:23 pm said:

Man, a lot of games are looking really graphically impressive this late in the cycle. God Of War: Ascension, The Last Of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, and now this (maybe throw in The Last Guardian and Versus if they ever release). Who needs next gen?

+ TheLastNinja- on September 1st, 2012 at 4:24 pm said:

Looks great! Although, the camera seems a bit odd. I really hope they aren’t going for a camera like the Batman: Arkham games where Snake would be to the left of the screen.

I would hope that it’s only for PC and PS3, or that the lead development platform is one of those. I don’t want Kojima to have to compromise quality because of Microsoft or the 360.

+ mallbros on September 1st, 2012 at 4:26 pm said:

@100 i’ve been saying this a long time ago that in terms of graphics there will not be much of an improvement in the next gen consoles maybe slightly better but i dont think it will be minblowing like in the transition from nintendo FF’s to FF7 in psx…and mgs to mgs2 in ps2….though what i think would be in the next gen would be lots of gimmicks and that lame 3d effects…it will boil down to what kind of tv you use

+ Heavenly_king on September 1st, 2012 at 4:31 pm said:

There should be a vita version of this considering that when kojima announced the fox engine and transfarring, he said that every PS3 game would have a VITA version in order to enable the function of TRANSFARRING.

+ SWIFTYSNAKE on September 1st, 2012 at 4:35 pm said:

did anyone else notice ocelot at 2:49?

+ WHITE_PR on September 1st, 2012 at 4:38 pm said:

Damn this look so awesome i dont know how many times i watch this vid. Kojima you’re Genius!!!!! PlayStation 4life!!

+ angelspawn77 on September 1st, 2012 at 4:39 pm said:

THAT WAS AWESOME! Can’t wait to see more, absolutely amazing graphics. This just became my most anticipated game. Hopefully they don’t take too long in releasing it.

+ TheTwelve on September 1st, 2012 at 4:42 pm said:

WE WILL SEE…I hope Kojima and Konami give special attention to the PS3 and put out the kind of graphics we see in PS3 exclusives. Then it’ll be an insta-buy for me. —-12

+ dragon-scan on September 1st, 2012 at 4:43 pm said:

Snake look like Big Boss

+ iiGeTMoNeY23 on September 1st, 2012 at 4:44 pm said:

I seriously hope this comes to PlayStation Vita.

+ BoobooJones on September 1st, 2012 at 4:47 pm said:

This game wouldn’t be much better as a PS3 exclusive. Sometimes you guys overestimate the PS3s hardware. I wish this was a next gen game, because it’s not going to look or play anything like this on console.

+ redthehaze on September 1st, 2012 at 4:49 pm said:

Can we get a discount on the PSP download version of Peace Walker now? Its the perfect time for one since there is no Vita version of that game and Ground Zeroes is the direct sequel to Peace Walker.

+ mallbros on September 1st, 2012 at 4:49 pm said:

@108 it is big boss…he is naked snake not solid snake

+ jaleel069 on September 1st, 2012 at 5:04 pm said:

Thank You Kojima! When can we all pre-order?!? =DD

+ faraway25 on September 1st, 2012 at 5:08 pm said:

It’s a direct sequel to Peace walker. I’m not sure how long. Chico doesn’t seem like he aged that much so it shouldn’t of been that long after Peace walker but then again that new gizmo Snake has doesn’t fit to well with 1971 when a Walkman was the cutting edge technology in that game.

Anyway I’m sad at Amanda and Chico’s fate. The scene when he was captured was pretty much foretold by Amanda who I’m assuming is the one that died. I was glad to hear Paz name right away. She was one of my favorite characters both as Paz and the Cipher agent. I’m not sure who the man with no face is. At first i thought it was Zero but it clearly isn’t him.

It seems this game is setting up a Remake of Metal Gear 1. Metal Gear 1 not Metal Gear solid 1. The war between Cipher and Outer Heaven is about to begin and in order for Snake to infiltrate them and attack while still keeping Outer Heaven secret he’s once again in Fox. And we all know how that goes. Snake leading the group as big boss and Solid Snake and Grey Fox worker under him etc.

+ gemuvan on September 1st, 2012 at 5:18 pm said:

@15 MGS3 was really bad game, and MGS4 is the worst MGS, in my opinion. But Peace Walker was fantastic, it was as emotional for me as the first MGS, and gameplay was fresh and innovative enough. So, now i have faith in Kojima one more time.

+ mallbros on September 1st, 2012 at 5:24 pm said:

@114 hope that is not amanda wo died…but amanda told snkae in peace walker that chico gives in easily and can’t stand torture…..makes sense

+ BlueBl1zzard on September 1st, 2012 at 5:39 pm said:

That was incredible! That FOX engine is really something. To be honest I thought I was actually watching a movie or live-action trailer especially in the first couple minutes.

Don’t hate me but I never bothered to get MGS 4. Peace Walker was my favorite so far and seeing as this may be the sequel, I have no choice but to get this.

+ WolfmanSchmitty on September 1st, 2012 at 5:44 pm said:

Best gaming news of the year!

+ ShardYu on September 1st, 2012 at 5:51 pm said:

Very Sweet! Unexpected graphics… at first I was like “Wow, for the first time Metal Gear is having a real actors acting? No more real time graphics?” Then, after few seconds I realize that It’s the in-game graphics!! Unbelievable. I was not expecting this graphics. The lighting made it look very realistic and the cinematography with the single shot made it more amazing for me. hahaha. So excited for this game. woohoo!!!

+ mikey_day on September 1st, 2012 at 5:52 pm said:

Epic, Enough Said.

+ SWITCH_00599 on September 1st, 2012 at 6:05 pm said:

omg at last we can see the project as it happens :D Les Enfants Terrible !!! Followers of The saga should know what this will be based on I bet Zanzibar will appear at the end :D

+ boomstickbhg on September 1st, 2012 at 6:13 pm said:

I only started MSG with MSG4 on the PS3 and it’s easily one of my favourite games of this generation. Of course I had no expectations going into it, and I like games with a lot of cutscenes if they’re good.

However I now own the MGS HD collection and I am planning to continue to buy anything Metal Gear, especially when it’s on PS3/not just handheld.

Thanks for more of this franchise, whatever the direction it goes in now may be.

Looks like it’ll be a lot of fun.

+ E-Phoenix- on September 1st, 2012 at 6:21 pm said:

INSANE

+ BlindMango on September 1st, 2012 at 6:27 pm said:

PS4 Footage, it cannot be said it is PS4 footage right now due to embargo’s but it is UNQUESTIONABLY intended for next generation hardware =) Amazing.

+ GeassFate on September 1st, 2012 at 6:28 pm said:

Yes I love the MGS series haven’t played peace walker yet but going to. I am so pumped up for this to bad we are not going to see this for a while. so glad to be a gamer this generation.

+ Heatseeker125 on September 1st, 2012 at 6:32 pm said:

Multiplatform console games never look as good as PS3 exclusives, but this looks to be the exception. I’d still feel a lot better if this wasn’t also in development for the CrapBox 360. No way would MGS4 be as good if it was in development for the 360 at the same time as the PS3 version.

+ BoobooJones on September 1st, 2012 at 6:43 pm said:

@124 The article clearly says this was running on a PC.

+ ATOMS11 on September 1st, 2012 at 6:45 pm said:

Nice. A grown man game! Finally!

+ DarkOne_PR on September 1st, 2012 at 6:48 pm said:

Sooo…… Sony let this game go multiplatform knowing that MGS4 was the game that basically saved the system and even more Sony KNOWS this game its a SYSTEM SELLER!!! sigh….

Anyways Im playing MSG4 again gonna platinum it :)

+ Shadow_Dancer on September 1st, 2012 at 6:56 pm said:

Just so you guys know, Kojima isn’t actually calling this “MGS5″ in fact according to Gamesradar “Kojima went on to describe Ground Zeroes as a prologue to a potential Metal Gear Solid 5, a starting point for Snake’s new, Fox Engine future”

+ BlindMango on September 1st, 2012 at 6:57 pm said:

@127 – Yeah, I saw that, It is in fact running on a PC, however, this engine intended for the consoles that it will have the ability to run on in the end. Unreal Engine 4 and that Square Enix engine are both intended for the next generation and display graphics visually similar to this game – The Fox Engine is showing graphics this this generation’s hardware is simply unable to handle, this is next generation here (At what they demonstrate on this PC demo). They cannot say “PS4″ because it has not been announced yet, so they have to say this game will release on PS3 – If released on PS3, it will have to have a downscale in graphics, and if this will be how PS3 will look, I will be SHOCKED! Even though the PS3 is powerful, it is not this powerful. I assume this is intended for PS4 and Xbox “720″ but “announced” for PS3 and 360 for the time being.

+ BlaqMagiq24 on September 1st, 2012 at 7:11 pm said:

Metal Gear for life! Kojima is a gaming god! This looks next gen but Ground Zeroes is showing this gen is far from over. I will be getting this ASAP. Keep doing your thing Kojima-san.

+ JackBurton-_-ME on September 1st, 2012 at 8:15 pm said:

Looks amazing! It looks like we get to play as Naked Snake again from MGS3 Snake Eater, can’t wait to play MGS6 with Solid Snake :D

+ ZeroNBK on September 1st, 2012 at 8:51 pm said:

Thank you, Kojima. THANK YOU!!! Only him can deliver such a trailer and let us so thrilled with the new game… Awesome work, I cannot wait to play this!

+ SIMan24 on September 1st, 2012 at 8:56 pm said:

Insane looking game…

I think this might actually take 2 blu ray disks (which is like 10 dvd (xbox) disks)

But hey, if anyone knows how to use the PS3′s power the right way, it is Kojima. (i.e. he will actually use the massive amount of raw processing power of the PS3 rather than abuse RAM space, which is why multi plats aren’t as good on PS3…*cough cough*…*glaring angrily at Bethesda*)

+ df2506 on September 1st, 2012 at 9:44 pm said:

Just watched the trailer and I have to say…WOW! That was AMAZING. I want this NOW! Whew.

Btw, loved Metal Gear Solid 4. Such a great game. I think MGS2 is still my favorite, but 4 rocked! This looks like it’ll be even better.

Also: I think its awesome that MGS is going open world. It should be a ton of fun. :)

+ Yokokoroma on September 1st, 2012 at 9:55 pm said:

@131 Kojima stated that the PC’s (on which ground zeroes) specs were similar to that of the PS3′s. There is no reason to doubt his statement, the PS3 has untapped power, as demonstrated by Quantic Dream and Naughty Dog. It’s all about the development team, (and the understanding of that power) and Kojima Productions is one of the best.

+ KGH on September 1st, 2012 at 9:57 pm said:

This is also releasing on the 360? Eeeeew…..

+ nielkainama93 on September 1st, 2012 at 9:57 pm said:

Is that….. BIG BOSS?! or his twin whatever his name was??? wow this is definitely one of the MGS series to own! thank you Konami! thank you Playstation!

+ HorrorGod on September 1st, 2012 at 10:23 pm said:

Guys, this is not “Metal Gear Solid 5.”
Kojima said this is a prologue to MSG5. That is why the title is JUST “Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.”
No “5″ in the title. :-)

I love that Naked Snake and Solid Snake will now both have starred in 4 Metal Gear games each.
(Naked Snake = MGS3, MGS:PO, MGS:PW, and now MGS:GZ —- Solid Snake = MG1, MG2, MGS1, MGS4.)

@15 (rundmc123)
MGS4 came out 4 years ago. I don’t know where you got 6.

+ OPS_GEAR107 on September 1st, 2012 at 10:26 pm said:

Wish it was Only on Playstation 3 :(

+ Kchow23 on September 1st, 2012 at 10:55 pm said:

Wow… there’s no way I’ll believe that this is current gen graphics. Can’t wait to play it!

+ Kchow23 on September 1st, 2012 at 10:56 pm said:

Also I don’t see why people care that it is multiplatform.. hopefully we get some exclusive content, but the more the merrier.

+ DrPhiill on September 2nd, 2012 at 12:45 am said:

Wohooo! When i heard that you were showing this on PAX i thought we wouldnt get to see it in weeks! but thank you so much!!!!!
The moment when i saw Snake climbing up gave me chills!!

+ KnifingGrimace on September 2nd, 2012 at 1:30 am said:

@114 I was incredulous that it was actually Chico at first since he doesn’t have the cross-shaped scar on his cheek, but all of his other features match up (green eyes, brown hair). When I realized that this was likely Chico, I practically buried my head in my hands. This would be the second time that Chico has given in to his captors, forcing others to die. If Amanda goes out like that off camera without a proper send-off, I’ll be really disappointed.

My eyes definitely shimmered once I heard that Paz was still alive, but the scene with Chico really brought me down by comparison. It’s like “hope” immediately followed up by “despair.” Poor kid has seen enough death.

Still, I’m really looking forward to this. It’s going to be tough waiting for the game to be released just to answer all of these questions that the trailer has created.

+ Jisatsu_Kiddo on September 2nd, 2012 at 2:00 am said:

multi-plat… how bad can other said system cripple this.
or will they use 40 dvds.

+ Jisatsu_Kiddo on September 2nd, 2012 at 2:01 am said:

the vast differences in space and ability.

+ Crumahara on September 2nd, 2012 at 2:28 am said: