PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Plants vs. Zombies Shambles onto Zen Pinball 2 With New Table

Neil Sorens's Avatar + Posted by Neil Sorens on Sep 04, 2012 // Creative Director, Zen Studios

Zen Pinball 2: Plants vs. Zombies Table

Hello PS.Bloggites, today we’re giving you something a little different! We are pleased to welcome ourselves — Jeff Green, Community Manager for PopCap Games and Neil Sorens, Zen Studios’ Creative Director — to the show, as we dynamically tag-team this entry. We wanted to share with you a little bit about how Zen and PopCap worked together to create the Plants vs. Zombies Pinball table, releasing today right alongside Zen Pinball 2 for PlayStation 3 and PS Vita. Enough of us rambling though; take a look at the trailer.

Jeff: The first thing you need to know about this Plants vs. Zombies table is that it is built out of authentic Plants vs. Zombies bits and pieces. We handed Zen Studios original game assets including art, sounds, objects, zombies, flowers, plants, defenses – ok, you get it – in a beautiful package of digital goodness. Zen took these and went to work designing another brilliant pinball table. We asked Crazy Dave for some wisdom to send along to Zen: “MMMMMM PINBALL”.

Neil: When we first received all these assets, our excitement level went through the roof. We were beyond excited! The second thing that went through our mind: wait, Plants vs. Zombies is 2D, are there any 3D assets? Obviously, the answer was no. One of the first things we had to figure out was how to translate a very deliberate, slow-paced 2D game into a fast-paced, frantic pinball game with 3D interactive characters. The team went to work creating a bunch of 3D models for the zombies, plants, Melon Pults, and Crazy Dave’s jalopy. We then had to figure out how to incorporate all of these into the table geometry. Luckily, we received tremendous help from the Plants, and Crazy Dave also turned out to be very supportive.

Zen Pinball 2: Plants vs. Zombies TableZen Pinball 2: Plants vs. Zombies Table

Jeff: When the Zen Studios team started sending us materials for approval, we were seriously impressed with how they were translating 2D to 3D. It was like Plants vs. Zombies was completely new again, totally remade for a brand new experience. The day playable code showed up, we were all lost in a “wow” moment. We about lost it when the “Going Nuts” mission started and fog came billowing in across the table, while zombies started marching toward the door step. That’s when we knew the true spirit of Plants vs. Zombies had been successfully captured in this pinball creation.

Zen Pinball 2: Plants vs. Zombies Table

This was the very first time PopCap has ever licensed out any of our game properties or worked with another developer on this level. Zen did a stellar job — the table turned out better than anyone could have expected.

Neil: It’s been quite a good time working on pinball over the past few years. We have had the privilege and honor of working with some of the biggest names in entertainment, and some of the most creative people in the industry. Working with PopCap has certainly been an amazing experience, and it’s really cool that our first project together will release today along with Zen Pinball 2. When I look at the game, I see the work of so many… not just Zen Studios people, but people at Tecmo, Capcom, Marvel, and now PopCap have contributed so much to this game.

We sincerely hope you enjoy the new Zen Pinball 2 platform and Plants vz. Zombies table. Don’t forget, this is a Cross Buy game, so buy it once and get it on both PS3 and PS Vita! If you have any questions about Zen Pinball 2, check out the FAQ we have put together in the Zen Pinball 2 forum. We’ll be here to answer your questions all day long!

+ I_POWN_U_27 on September 4th, 2012 at 1:44 pm said:

Glad this’ll be free! What free game deals are happening today? I’m sadly ignorant in those affairs. Also when will I be able to download my RE6 demo? I’ve been waiting months to play it myself.

+ GGCAN on September 4th, 2012 at 1:45 pm said:

The day is finally here that we can play Zen pinball on our Vitas !

This addition looks really good too.

Keep bringing those tables and thanks for the great work your team are doing Neil.

+ Nitrosonic0 on September 4th, 2012 at 1:46 pm said:

seriously Sony my cable service is out till thursday and I need to play Pinball NOW!!

+ alexisloki on September 4th, 2012 at 1:47 pm said:

Hi, i just want to know : do this game has Trophies? And actually how many PS3 games do Sony place in the Plus section for free every month?

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 2:54 pm said:

Yes, this game has a LOT of trophies! Trophies for each table…

Not sure about your PS+ question, sorry!

+ cam_eltoh on September 4th, 2012 at 2:00 pm said:

@51 You’ll have to wait at least a month as thats when the game comes out and even then there probably wont be a demo up day 1

+ gemuvan on September 4th, 2012 at 2:12 pm said:

@55 I heard that demo of RE6 will be available for everyone on 18th of september. And for those who bought Dragon’s Dogma about today or something like that.

+ Jeff Green on September 4th, 2012 at 2:12 pm said:

Let me just say that the PvZ Pinball table rocks. And hey, just because I get paid by PopCap and also receive $5 for every post I make here doesn’t make me biased! Seriously you can totally trust me.

Also I was just kidding about getting $5 to post here. It’s $3.

+ funmom_o on September 4th, 2012 at 2:15 pm said:

Lawl, Jeff

+ M1ing0o on September 4th, 2012 at 2:22 pm said:

The other game is the one in wich you usea rocks and stuff in order to destroy enemies base… right Neil??

+ Nacthenud on September 4th, 2012 at 2:28 pm said:

I don’t particularly care about the PvZ table (though I’m sure it will be great), but I have been anticipating Zen Pinball 2 for so long. The delays have been disappointing and I can’t believe it’s finally going to be on the store today. My PS3 and my Vita are ready!

+ BillyBoiDaPrince on September 4th, 2012 at 2:42 pm said:

When will the update launch?

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 3:02 pm said:

Hopefully any minute now. We’re sitting here waiting to high five our screens!

+ DJPlace on September 4th, 2012 at 2:45 pm said:

has a famous somebody would say COME ON HURRY UP!! i want to be out NOW and i mean NOW!!

+ lyfestory on September 4th, 2012 at 2:56 pm said:

i just may end up buying this, errr, the tables, since it is also for the Vita… I love pinball and while i think the Pinball Arcade game is the best digitally made pinball game around, i like that Zen has created completely new tables.. Farsight re-creates tables based on actual tables, which i am quite fond of.. they do a great job, and was also cross-buy enabled.. so, that’s a big selling point to me.. i’ll try out the demo and see what i think..

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 3:08 pm said:

We are happy to see what Farsight is doing. The more pinball the better! Those classic tables deserve to be remade for everyone to enjoy!

+ JUGGALO414 on September 4th, 2012 at 3:03 pm said:

I know this is never going to happen but they know they are going to do an update every Tuesday. That gives them a whole week to prepare. I think they should have a standard time every week to post the updates. They plan these updates ahead of time so that shouldn’t be too hard… Look at me going on about what Sony should do when everyone knows they always do the exact opposite. Silly me…

+ CyPhErLoUs on September 4th, 2012 at 3:08 pm said:

Store update. WHERE IS IT!?

+ phatso64 on September 4th, 2012 at 3:17 pm said:

MAN ! this is great , i just wish the store would hurry and update !!!! i have every table for both Zen and Marvel , they were always day 1 purchases , which really REALLY SUX because then plus would give them away free ): anyhoo … UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE !!!!!

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 3:19 pm said:

The late update could be due to testing that everything is 100% right. Zen Pinball 2 is a super complicated game – backwards compatibility, upgrades to existing users, Cross Buy, tons of content + a new table. WOW. Thanks PlayStation Store team!!!!

+ Irishboy3173 on September 4th, 2012 at 3:25 pm said:

were is the store update????????????

+ ScarReaper83 on September 4th, 2012 at 3:26 pm said:

they should test it out in the early morning so they can get it to us all b4 most of the day has gone by

+ hungcanh19 on September 4th, 2012 at 3:29 pm said:

Great, will buy. Off topic question, how soon can we get some news on kickbeat? I really like the gameplay video, thanks.

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 3:33 pm said:

We will probably do another KickBeat news drop in the next few weeks. We are in the final crunch, tying up loose ends and ironing small details. Hopefully the next time we talk we will include a release date.

+ Superstone on September 4th, 2012 at 3:36 pm said:

Where is the update? What happened to the early updates we saw a few weeks back?

+ Irishboy3173 on September 4th, 2012 at 3:36 pm said:

hi if u had to say what % r u at out of 100%

+ StealthReborn– on September 4th, 2012 at 3:42 pm said:

A God of War table mmmmm….you’re multiplatform so I doubt it’ll happen. :(

On a side note, have you guys ever considered actually making these tables and perhaps auctioning them off and donate some of the proceeds to charity? They’d auction well. With them being only one made/totally unique and all. =)

+ bany_rock on September 4th, 2012 at 3:44 pm said:

Its live on ps3! Dloading right know, just search “zen” on the store searching tool

+ PigChampion on September 4th, 2012 at 3:48 pm said:

Thanks, bany_rock! Downloading now!

+ bigz12345432 on September 4th, 2012 at 3:58 pm said:

thanks downloading now to vita sir do u know if there will also be more ps one classics?

+ NorthernLitez on September 4th, 2012 at 4:09 pm said:

Just downloaded Zen Pinball 2 and the Plants VS Zombies tabel. All I have to say is you guys have out done yourselves. This looks and plays amazing on a 3D TV…..WoW. I’m off to try it oon the VITA now :-) GREAT JOB!

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 4:50 pm said:

Great! Glad you like it, and happy to see things working as planned. You are always nervous until things go live!

+ Trieloth on September 4th, 2012 at 4:11 pm said:

Wow that was close. my eyes almost popped out of my head when i saw that the game is free to download. I already have a bunch of tables from the first game and its super awesome I get to download them into ZP2. Seriously you guys/gals rock! *gives hug

+ Fearse on September 4th, 2012 at 4:16 pm said:

Does the Psn store wallet hold 300 dollars for the Sunday Ticket does anyone know cause last year the Psn store that i could remember only held 150 dollars max

+ Ecks on September 4th, 2012 at 4:53 pm said:

Now that the store has updated, I downloaded Zen Pinball 2. What a complicated mess to download all the tables I own! I tried importing tables, but all it found was the Vengeance & Virtue pack from Marvel Pinball. I have bought every single table from Zen Pinball and Marvel Pinball when they were released.

So I went into the store add-ons section, and downloaded the 100kb key for each table, as well as queueing up the table download. Once each table is done downloading, I can install it. So this is a lot of work for the user, I thought this was all going to be automatic?

I’m not looking forward to doing all this again for the Vita version! (I do appreciate getting the Vita version for free though!)

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 5:20 pm said:

It does look like the import functionality needs to be stream lined. I have a feeling the full update has not yet finished. New content keeps propping in the import menu every 15 min or so.

+ wakingthedead17 on September 4th, 2012 at 4:59 pm said:

When will the Fantastic Four table be added to Zen Pinball 2? I remember seeing something about issues with that one a while back, and it’s definitely not there to import right now. It’s my favorite table!

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 5:13 pm said:

It looks like the Fantastic Four table was indeed held in case we need to issue a patch – which from testing at the moment looks like we might have to do in order to better steam line the import features. Should be available soon, though.

+ DJBennett1985 on September 4th, 2012 at 5:27 pm said:

Hi Neil, I downloaded ZP2 for Vita, and downloaded/unlocked the original marvel pinball and original zen pinball tables. Started the game and patched it, but zen pinball 2 never showed up in my trophy list?

+ phatso64 on September 4th, 2012 at 5:28 pm said:

@ Ecks , i used import and it showed one game . by the time it had finished several others were ready to be downloaded so just wait . (:

+ streamyx87 on September 4th, 2012 at 5:49 pm said:

@81, same here. trophies not showing up on my vita

+ timmy19888 on September 4th, 2012 at 5:53 pm said:

to all the complainers the store has updated already. about 2 hours ago i think. i already got my borderlands game installed. they probably havent posted due to all the complaining. you have to be patient and let them do their job.

+ DJBennett1985 on September 4th, 2012 at 5:53 pm said:

@83.. I had to delete everything then redownload again. they’re showing up now.

+ Remmulak on September 4th, 2012 at 5:54 pm said:

I am having problems with Trophies as well. It is saying “Thanks for checking out Zen Pinball 2! Trophies are only available in the full game.” I own Zen Pinball 1, I thought this would mean I would own Zen Pinball 2?

+ AutomaticOcelot on September 4th, 2012 at 5:57 pm said:

@Neil: I just want to say bravo on the import feature. That can’t have been easy to figure out, but it is going seamlessly for me. If only it was a giant button prompt at startup instead of subtly mapped to the square button at the bottom of the screen. Some users in other threads still haven’t spotted where to look for it.

Hopefully ZP2 helps to streamline Zen’s cross platform development with PFX2. I went PS3 because of the exclusive tables, and Zen is just a cooler name. ;) Sticking with PSN for you guys.

Also I absolutely adore the marketing choice of “Cross Buy”, because so many people seem cross that they can’t buy the games they want to play on their Vita yet. :) That’s irony you can’t brainstorm ahead of time.

+ streamyx87 on September 4th, 2012 at 6:05 pm said:

@85, thanks…will try again later

+ PigChampion on September 4th, 2012 at 6:07 pm said:

Thanks for the help earlier, Neil. The tables that I had gotten with Zen 1 before my PS3 died are happily listed in my shiny new copy of Zen 2. :)

This game is gonna get a lot of play tonight.. thanks so much for the quality game!!

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 6:46 pm said:

That is great news! Enjoy!

+ Macrocephalus on September 4th, 2012 at 6:12 pm said:

The PvZ table is spectacular, and ZP2 is playing like a dream so far — so much fun! My only question is, why oh why can’t I remap launch to a trigger??? The triggers have enough travel time that skill shots are makable, but I can’t imagine getting them except occasionally through sheer luck with the cross button. That’s a HUGE bummer.

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 6:46 pm said:

Ok, we can try to update that – I will put it on the list of things to do.

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 8:08 pm said:

Also, try using the right stick for an “analog” launch.

+ Ecks on September 4th, 2012 at 6:44 pm said:

I have all the tables installed now for Zen Pinball 2 and have played a few, so far so good! It sounds like the Import feature is now working, if so, that makes things a lot easier.

I mapped my flippers to L2/R2, when you finish a game and enter your initials, it seems to use L1/R1 or the d-pad, if functionality could be added so it uses your flipper config, that’d be great.

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 8:09 pm said:

Makes sense!

+ Nin10gamer on September 4th, 2012 at 6:45 pm said:

Hi I’ve downloaded both the vita and ps3 versions of zen pinball 2. I’ve only got time to sit down and check out the vita version, I noticed that a trophy system has not been included yet. Are you guys still working on putting in trophies? will there be an update? and do the ps3 and vita version have a different trophy set or the same?

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 7:06 pm said:

The PS3 and Vita versions have their own sets of trophies that must be earned separately. I see them on Vita and PS3, are you still not seeing them?

+ Loserkid on September 4th, 2012 at 7:05 pm said:

I was wondering if you would ever made a set of tables like a great old pinball game I played a lot when I was young. 3D Ultra Pinball Creep Night was amazing and I think it would go great in Zen Pinball. October is coming so its fitting!

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 8:11 pm said:

Great idea! I used to play those Sierra games all the time (Hero’s Quest / Quest for Glory got the most play time on my old IBM PS1 286/10MHz). In the meantime, check out Nightmare Mansion, Paranormal, and Sorcerer’s Lair for some spooky fun this Halloween!

+ PanteraRawks on September 4th, 2012 at 7:09 pm said:

The Plants vs. Zombies table is INCREDIBLE, very interactive and a lot of fun. And it looks absolutely killer in 3D! Looks and plays great on the Vita too (all for $2.99?!). Nice job to everyone involved with its creation. You really nailed it. I’ll definitely be buying other tables, probably the Marvel (Blade, baby!) collection next.

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 8:12 pm said:

Thanks! Even though not many people have 3D sets yet, once we saw how the game looked in 3D, we just had to include that feature!

+ Remmulak on September 4th, 2012 at 7:11 pm said:

@92 – I had to delete and then re-downloaded the game and then I was able to get trophies.

+ gofourit on September 4th, 2012 at 7:23 pm said:

Please Help It’s been 3 hours still only newest pinball apps nothing will import at all finally found a way to get all on ps vita no luck on ps3. Please Help

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 8:14 pm said:

If you’re having trouble with the automatic import feature, try downloading the tables from the PS Store. As long as you bought them with the same account, it should allow you to get them for free. In terms of functionality, this is exactly the same as if you had imported them – it’s just not quite as convenient.

+ gofourit on September 4th, 2012 at 7:26 pm said:

Neil can you help me please.. got the latest pack to download but it will not import any other table frustrated as hell with this mess.

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 8:15 pm said:

See the reply to the message just above yours!

+ gofourit on September 4th, 2012 at 7:28 pm said:

The only way I got all my tables to download to vita was I went to add ons and left the game open they all transfered with no problem very slowly just figure that out. But no luck redowloading addons or importing on Zen 2 engine.

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 8:00 pm said:

Any table you have already purchased should download – just hit ‘download’ or even ‘purchase’ and it should up as a free download. Give that a shot.

+ BunnySavior on September 4th, 2012 at 7:29 pm said:

I haven’t played any of the previous Zen pinball games, bought I just bought this PvZ DLC. I hope it’s fun!

+ Stuff4Crab on September 4th, 2012 at 7:29 pm said:

Cool, looks nice. I was going to buy both 1 and 2 today an saw that 2 was free which was awesome, but can’t seem to find 1 anymore??? How do I buy it now, did it move?

+ Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 8:16 pm said:

Since Zen Pinball 2 has all the content and features of 1 plus a bunch more, we’re not listing 1 on the store anymore. If you bought it in the past, you’ll still be able to download it from your history.