PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Remote Play Brings God of War, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collections to PS Vita Today

Don Mesa's Avatar + Posted by Don Mesa on Sep 05, 2012 // Director, Product Planning & Platform Software Innovation, SCEA

PS Vita Remote Play - God of War CollectionPS Vita Remote Play - Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection

We’ve got some great news for PS Vita owners today concerning Remote Play, the application that enables you to interact remotely with PS3 using your PS Vita and a Wi-Fi connection. Starting today, PS3 owners will be able to download an update for God of War Collection and Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection that will enable these classic games to be played from their PS Vita using the Remote Play function.

So what does this mean? It means you’ll be able to enjoy two classic HD collections almost anywhere, whether you’re around your PS3 or not, from the comfort of your PS Vita and a Wi-Fi signal. Both collections include customizable control options, so you can choose to have the R2 and L2 buttons from your PS3 mapped to PS Vita’s rear touchpad. This is great news because God of War, God of War II, Ico, and Shadow of the Colossus represent some of the most beloved and acclaimed titles in videogaming — and both collections look stunning on PS Vita’s brilliant 5” OLED screen.

To access the Remote Play functionality for both God of War Collection and ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection, you’ll need to download patches for each game on your PS3, at no extra cost. Once you download each patch and try out Remote Play for yourself on PS Vita, be sure to let us know what you think!

In addition to playing selected games remotely, the Remote Play feature enables you to access music, videos, and photos stored on your PS3 through your PS Vita. For instructions on how to set up your PS3 and PS Vita for Remote Play please visit our guide here.

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ PatriotEyez27 on September 5th, 2012 at 5:56 am said:

Step in the right direction.

+ G-Force08 on September 5th, 2012 at 5:56 am said:

Sounds great! I have been waiting to try this out since it was announced at E3. I wonder what other PS3 games will be accessible via Remote Play in the future.

+ nbnt on September 5th, 2012 at 5:56 am said:

But it’s not up yet.

Don Mesa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on September 5th, 2012 at 2:20 pm said:

Hi there! I apologize for the confusion. The patches for ICO and Shadow of the Colossus will go live at 8:00 PM PST today. This works whether you have the collection on disc, or if you bought them from PSN. Thanks for waiting, just a few more hours!

+ wakingthedead17 on September 5th, 2012 at 5:57 am said:

Is there a list anywhere of all the games that work with Remote Play on Vita?

+ Oisterboy on September 5th, 2012 at 5:58 am said:

I never got around to finishing sotc, this seems like a fun way to do it.

+ G-Force08 on September 5th, 2012 at 5:58 am said:

Now, to be clear: On the GoW Collection side, this is only for God of War 1 & 2 HD and not the other titles in the saga, correct?

+ IceColdKilla44 on September 5th, 2012 at 6:01 am said:

Sounds pretty cool!

Though I hope GoW’s quicktime events are actually playable on the rear touchpad…

+ DaMann22 on September 5th, 2012 at 6:02 am said:

Love remote play since i use it when the wife or kids control the tv. I hooe more hd collections get the same treament if not ported over. And fyi Retro/Grade is remote play compatible.

+ cecil322 on September 5th, 2012 at 6:07 am said:

Got up and patched god of war it b4 I head off to work played it threw private network played great no issues can’t wait for more titles awesome job Sony keep them coming

+ ImTweakinOut420 on September 5th, 2012 at 6:09 am said:

#2. Please note the download version of PEGGLE works via PS Vita Remote Play. (Not sure if the disc version works, it is on the Plants vs Zombies Disc version). This is the only other PS3 game I have got to work via Remote Play. Also every PS1 game I have in my collection (over 30) all work via remote play. So if there are any PS1 Classics not available for direct play on Vita you can use that as an option as well.

If possible it would be great if you guys at SONY could create a list of Confirmed PS3 games that work via Remote Play. Thanks guys.

+ manixram on September 5th, 2012 at 6:10 am said:

so , only can remote play if the game is patched ? dont think any 3rd party developers gonna patch their games for remote play :(

+ jzero222 on September 5th, 2012 at 6:11 am said:

Does this work with God of War 1&2 on the God of War Saga game that was just released?

+ favian on September 5th, 2012 at 6:12 am said:

Please make this feature mandatory. This will Be Vita’s killer App

+ Myke-Myke on September 5th, 2012 at 6:13 am said:

Thank you, Sony! Bout time!

I hope you guys focus on this feature/ability @ TGS.

+ G-Force08 on September 5th, 2012 at 6:16 am said:

@ #10 ImTweakinOut420

I have been able to play a few other PS3 games through Remote Play that are not disc based (not including PSOne games of course):

PixelJunk Eden
PixelJunk Monsters
High Stakes on the Vegas Strip: Poker Edition

And then some Apps:
SingStar Viewer
Life With PlayStation
Vidzone (EU only)

So yeah, there are a few others, but full retail games like this – These are the first and I’m looking forward to more.

+ BlaqMagiq24 on September 5th, 2012 at 6:18 am said:

I hope they do this for the Jak, Sly, and Ratchet collections too. I also hope they can improve it to reduce lag too. With that said this is awesome. I got the ICO and SOTC collection but took a big break from it. I think this will get me playing it again.

@Don Mesa
Any word on others in the works?

+ altrodesi on September 5th, 2012 at 6:19 am said:

This is great news and thank you! I hope even more support is on the way before the end of the year. what is that t.v. called in the background?

+ BlaqMagiq24 on September 5th, 2012 at 6:22 am said:

@ImTweakinOut420

I know BlazBlue Calamity Trigger works with Remote Play.

+ ConradJeremy on September 5th, 2012 at 6:25 am said:

i just tested GOW Saga collection and after upgrading to the 1.01 patch, Both god of war I and II work with remote Play. A great step in the right Direction Sony. Fantastic Job getting this going, now lets keep up the momentum!

+ newyorkreload on September 5th, 2012 at 6:25 am said:

I hope it plays without the delay in response like PS1 games do.

+ Richard919 on September 5th, 2012 at 6:31 am said:

This is really great and I’ll be playing gow on the go, but what if I unlock a trophy while playing on vita? Is it possible to unlock the gow ps3 trophies via remote play?

+ shadow71 on September 5th, 2012 at 6:37 am said:

whaaaaaa? OH SNAP! =D

+ soundandvision77 on September 5th, 2012 at 6:41 am said:

Awesome, it’s great to hear some remote play news. I’m excited to try out Ico on my Vita! Not that I would need to use it, but I wonder if these games work on the PSP version of remote play as well?

By the way #4, another PSN game that works on Remote Play is Pixeljunk Shooter. I haven’t tried in on the Vita, but it works on PSP.

+ helbertpina on September 5th, 2012 at 6:54 am said:

Holy cannoli, this made my day! Thanks Sony, I love my Vita and my PS3, and with every update, I feel better and better for being a fan! Hooray!

+ jhaasl on September 5th, 2012 at 6:56 am said:

This is great news! I never got to play these games on the PS2, so now I get to catch up.

Does anyone know how much these cost on PSN? Also, is this only available for the PSN version or does this work with the purchased, disc versions of the collections as well?

+ kingdomkiller3 on September 5th, 2012 at 7:00 am said:

OK that’s cool in all but i have all of them but on two different disc when they came out before. And really i don’t want to shell out another $40 for the same game. The only up side is that i’m getting all five in one.

+ snakeeyes211 on September 5th, 2012 at 7:02 am said:

Awesome news ;-)

+ snakeeyes211 on September 5th, 2012 at 7:03 am said:

How do I play Little big planet2 with the vita it says to connect to the game but the game doesn’t connect with the vita does LittleBigPlanet need an update?

+ angibri2000 on September 5th, 2012 at 7:04 am said:

FYI…you need to update the games via PS3 first, then you can use Remote Play.

+ KuiperBeltran on September 5th, 2012 at 7:10 am said:

Which versions of these games support remote play on Vita? Is it just the disc version, just the PSN download version, or both?

+ D-Squad3 on September 5th, 2012 at 7:16 am said:

Sweet!!! I have both of these collections!!! I hope lag isn’t an issue.

+ SharpRifle on September 5th, 2012 at 7:20 am said:

Awesome!!!! Step in the right direction!! Maybe you guys could make a complete list of what other games remote play works to!!

+ NESFEe on September 5th, 2012 at 7:22 am said:

@ConradJeremy : Since you tested GoW, can you clarify if the games have input lag ? The psp remote play had some annoying input lag. I haven’t bought the HD collection yet, but this might make me do it.

+ GAMINGSMYLIFE on September 5th, 2012 at 7:27 am said:

Nice! Please get more games on remote play! THIS is what Sony should focus on while the games for Vita are slowly coming out. They should get games on remote play before they even finish developing so new games always have a guarantee they work through it. It’s never a bad thing to be able to play PS3 games through my Vita! Now, go get more hahaha

+ blueblazer22x on September 5th, 2012 at 7:36 am said:

@NESFEe : I just tested the GOW Collection retail disc version on my Vita and there seems to be a VERY slight input lag. It’s not nearly as bad as with the PSP’s remote play function. When the patch downloads, it specifically says it’s not compatible with PSP, so I’m thinking it must be optimized for Vita and thus the lag isn’t as much of a problem. I’m sure your lan speed is also relevant.

Question: Has anyone been able to download the patch for Ico/Shadow of the Colossus retail disc? I’ve tried booting it up and there is no patch available right now (even though GOW did have a patch).

Don Mesa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on September 5th, 2012 at 2:22 pm said:

Hi there. Apology for the confusion. The patches for ICO and Shadow of the Colossus will go live at 8:00 PM PST. So you’ll be able to play tonight!

+ z3razerviper on September 5th, 2012 at 7:39 am said:

my disk version of the god of war collection (GOW 1& 2 Remastered) just worked after being patched to 1.01. The disk version of GOW 3 did not.

+ BlueBl1zzard on September 5th, 2012 at 7:40 am said:

Very good to hear Sony! I wonder what games are next on the list (shall I dare ask…PS2 classics maybe?) *fingers crossed*

+ z3razerviper on September 5th, 2012 at 7:47 am said:

I misunderstood this only seems to work wtih GOW Collection remasters i was thinking all the GOW games were covered. I was thinking about the new gow collection with all the games.

+ deltakong on September 5th, 2012 at 8:00 am said:

disgusting. hopefully PS4 games will ALL be covered upon release. this feature is such a miserable failure.

+ NESFEe on September 5th, 2012 at 8:04 am said:

@blueblazer22x : Thanks for the info. I guess I’ll buy ICO/Shadow of the Colossus HD then :)

+ dh4645 on September 5th, 2012 at 8:06 am said:

cool, i may try it on ico.
i doubt i’ll use it much though.
i usually only play my vita at home & work (during lunch of course)…and there is no wifi at work.

+ pscoolman on September 5th, 2012 at 8:12 am said:

Now can you do The Sly Collection?

+ Link01 on September 5th, 2012 at 8:13 am said:

This works amazingly well with GOW :3. I’m just awaiting the ICO collection. Any other games in mind to support.

+ Ball99 on September 5th, 2012 at 8:15 am said:

Sounds great. I can’t wait to try it out!

+ z3razerviper on September 5th, 2012 at 8:39 am said:

Its not working for me with the ICO Collection its not prompting me to patch.

Don Mesa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on September 5th, 2012 at 2:24 pm said:

Hi there. Sorry for the confusion. The patches for ICO and Shadow of the Colossus will go live at 8:00 PM PST. Just a few more hours!

+ DvidiriN on September 5th, 2012 at 8:40 am said:

well, I think that this is not working yet, because I already tried 2 times and not happens.
I have the ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection on Bleu-Ray, maybe this is a problem????? or it will work the same way????

The patch should be installed when I enter the game, correct?????

Don Mesa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on September 5th, 2012 at 2:25 pm said:

The patches for ICO and Shadow of the Colossus will go live at 8:00 PM PST. This works whether you have the collection on disc, or if you bought them from PSN. Sorry about the confusion, but just a few more hours!

+ Bcrazyman on September 5th, 2012 at 8:46 am said:

hey cant wiat to get the wita and try this this looks very temping and very awsome! also will it do others games as well? need to know thanks!

+ Bcrazyman on September 5th, 2012 at 8:46 am said:

wait !

+ soundandvision77 on September 5th, 2012 at 8:46 am said:

How well does this work with the Quick-time button prompts on God of War? Some of those need pretty quick button presses, so I hope the lag is minimal enough for these to work. It’s a pretty fast-paced game, so Sony must be pretty confident in remote play to use it for God of War.

Can’t wait to try these all out tonight!

+ Bcrazyman on September 5th, 2012 at 8:48 am said:

hey also cant you also control the apps from the vita and also play certein games or all the games? just asking ok thanks!

PAGE 1 2 3 4