PS4-The Order

Remote Play Brings God of War, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collections to PS Vita Today

Don Mesa's Avatar + Posted by Don Mesa on Sep 05, 2012 // Director, Product Planning & Platform Software Innovation, SCEA

PS Vita Remote Play - God of War CollectionPS Vita Remote Play - Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection

We’ve got some great news for PS Vita owners today concerning Remote Play, the application that enables you to interact remotely with PS3 using your PS Vita and a Wi-Fi connection. Starting today, PS3 owners will be able to download an update for God of War Collection and Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection that will enable these classic games to be played from their PS Vita using the Remote Play function.

So what does this mean? It means you’ll be able to enjoy two classic HD collections almost anywhere, whether you’re around your PS3 or not, from the comfort of your PS Vita and a Wi-Fi signal. Both collections include customizable control options, so you can choose to have the R2 and L2 buttons from your PS3 mapped to PS Vita’s rear touchpad. This is great news because God of War, God of War II, Ico, and Shadow of the Colossus represent some of the most beloved and acclaimed titles in videogaming — and both collections look stunning on PS Vita’s brilliant 5” OLED screen.

To access the Remote Play functionality for both God of War Collection and ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection, you’ll need to download patches for each game on your PS3, at no extra cost. Once you download each patch and try out Remote Play for yourself on PS Vita, be sure to let us know what you think!

In addition to playing selected games remotely, the Remote Play feature enables you to access music, videos, and photos stored on your PS3 through your PS Vita. For instructions on how to set up your PS3 and PS Vita for Remote Play please visit our guide here.

+ Boogie_Down_ on September 5th, 2012 at 9:07 am said:

I can’t find this Shadow of the Colossus patch anywhere.

Don Mesa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on September 5th, 2012 at 2:06 pm said:

ICO & Shadow of the Colossus patch will go live at 8:00PM US Pacific time today. Sorry about the confusion, but please be patient for a little longer!

+ Squiggle55 on September 5th, 2012 at 9:10 am said:

Thank you for the updates, Sony. Keep them coming. It’s nice to see Remote Play alive. I hope it becomes a requirement for first party games, and, more importantly, I hope you really start to insist to developers that future PSN games are remote playable. At the very least encourage them to do so.

+ somebignasty on September 5th, 2012 at 9:13 am said:

Awesome!! Glad to see it. Now I can finish SOTC in my living room!!

+ gabriel_nica3 on September 5th, 2012 at 9:13 am said:

tried this for gow collection and it works like a charm. i’m really impressed sony.

i’m also excited with the cross controller feature. hopefully it will be done right as well as third party publishers gets to support it as well. i can imagine using it for the new mgs title kojima san is working on.

+ MI_Titan27 on September 5th, 2012 at 9:16 am said:

Retro Grade is remote play enabled as well it looks really good too

+ aro52 on September 5th, 2012 at 9:16 am said:

I have the Ico / SoC collection on disc… is that gonna work? Or will this only work with the digital download versions??

And PLEASE keep expanding this feature! I recently picked up the HD’ified Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, and Tony Hawk. Those would be great to have for remote play!

Don Mesa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on September 5th, 2012 at 2:08 pm said:

Yes, patch will apply to both disc version and digital version. It’ll go live tonight at 8:00pm US Pacific time, so please wait a little longer.

+ snakeeyes211 on September 5th, 2012 at 9:23 am said:

Why can’t I update my ico and shadow of the Colossus?

Don Mesa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on September 5th, 2012 at 2:07 pm said:

ICO & Shadow of the Colossus patch will go live at 8:00PM US Pacific time today. Sorry about the confusion, but you’ll be able to play soon!

+ k9187all_day on September 5th, 2012 at 9:38 am said:

well media go ever be compatible with ps vita ?

+ BlueBl1zzard on September 5th, 2012 at 9:40 am said:

So I’m assuming it doesn’t work if you downloaded Shadow of Colussus separately off of the Playstation Store?……….

+ CullenX on September 5th, 2012 at 9:42 am said:

Just put them on the Vita PSN store and skip all this nonsense.

+ lisatsunami on September 5th, 2012 at 9:49 am said:

This is really GREAT news! I’m sure you’ll be smart enough to feature this @ TGS. I’ll try this out when more people have confirmed it works on the ICO/SoTC HD games.

+ MarinoBrea on September 5th, 2012 at 9:50 am said:

Woah. If more games get this feature you may be up to something

+ peraikos on September 5th, 2012 at 10:13 am said:

I am very happy for this but, i want to know if any other game for ps3 will be the same as those 2

+ djobduction on September 5th, 2012 at 10:17 am said:

This is great news i own both Collections but are in my back log atm. Maybe now i can get to playing them when the t.v is being used (all the time).
I have finished them all except Ico so ill play that one first, Colossus is my favorite :-).

I have been really looking forward to using this feat on my Lovely Vita since i heard about it, hopefully there will be more collections added and a great reason to pick them all up now.
Maybe next make ps2 classic’s playable, it would be amazing to play Odin Sphere on the Oled.

Anyway thank you Sony for making this happen and i look forward to see whats next.
Time for Ico :-)

+ Syrlis on September 5th, 2012 at 10:19 am said:

While it is disapointing that this feature is gonna be on a game by game basis (and not universal amongst all games). Atleast progress is being made. Can you please make this feature mandatory for developers going forward like you did when you added trophies. Thank you

+ Ryumoau on September 5th, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

not interested in either of those collections but hopefully this feature will be supported on better games in the future.

+ cnada401 on September 5th, 2012 at 10:23 am said:

To the people askng , ico collection patch will come out later today.And all patches work on
both formats of games, disc and psn downloads, so stop asking .

+ plaztiksyke on September 5th, 2012 at 10:25 am said:

Now we just need Sly Cooper and Jak & Daxter collections to work with Remote Play (or get Vita-native versions) :)

I”d really love to see Critter Crunch, Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, Ghostbusters, and Brutal Legend get Remote Play or VIta-native versions. All of them have great campaigns, but also great online play that would be awesome to play on my Vita while I’m out and about.

+ snakeeyes211 on September 5th, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

Could somebody else confirm that ico is not live yet? as I’ve put on the game and tried multiple times and does update for me :-(

Don Mesa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on September 5th, 2012 at 2:18 pm said:

Hi there. I’m sorry about the confusion, but ICO & Shadow of the Colossus patches will go live at 8:00 PM PST tonight. Thanks for waiting!

+ snakeeyes211 on September 5th, 2012 at 10:27 am said:

Could somebody else confirm that ico is not live yet? as I’ve put on the game and tried multiple times and does not update for me :-(

+ Xabdos on September 5th, 2012 at 10:27 am said:

I don’t get it, why can’t you allow us to remote play every game, hackers have done it. Why not do it officially, remote play was one of the main reasons I bought a Vita, to just continue my PS3 game from any wifi-hotspot is just amazing, you showed us Killzone 3 in action, which made it even more believable, but all we get to ‘remote-play’ is ps1 titles and also these games ?
I know there are fantastic games to come but, com’n

+ Huckleberry127 on September 5th, 2012 at 10:29 am said:

I’m just still wondering if this works if you have just the standalone copies off psn cause I have god of war 1 hd and shadow of the collossus hd not the collections. Can anyone confirm if they work as a standalone game?

+ G-Virus85 on September 5th, 2012 at 10:32 am said:

Just tested God of War Collection (Ico & Shadow patch isn’t up yet) and it runs perfectly! The controls are super responsive for being streamed to the Vita. The back touch for L2 and R2 isn’t as bad as it sounds, once you play it you will see that it works just fine and it becomes a non-issue really quick.

Only down side that I noticed is that the image quality isn’t perfect. It’s not bad but it should be better since these are HD collections. Right now playing GOW it looks like I’m playing a PS2 game on the VIta. Technically I am playing a PS2 game but it’s not as sharp playing it on the PS3. The image is good but a bit muddy. (Could be my internet connection)

This is still a long awaited feature and I’m super happy it’s here now. Now patch every game already Sony, I want to play Killzone, Outland, Uncharted, and Infamous on my Vita.

+ Undrey on September 5th, 2012 at 10:34 am said:

@59 Yes, it works either way. If you have any of the 4 games of these 2 collections, then you can open them up on the 3, update them, quit and hook the Vita to the 3 and start playing.

+ Painkiller360 on September 5th, 2012 at 10:44 am said:

Let uncharted 2 and 3 be next please to use with remote play.

+ nOObSLAYER on September 5th, 2012 at 10:47 am said:

2 great games added to the PsVita remote play library………now were’s my KZ3 remote play

+ anotherdae on September 5th, 2012 at 10:52 am said:

I will get my revenge on that third Colossus!

+ Zacky-V-A7X on September 5th, 2012 at 10:56 am said:

It works great!

+ Vinland_Krauser on September 5th, 2012 at 11:03 am said:

Rapidly touching the back panel in GoW worked better than expected!
I used the private network connection and the +1 image quality didn’t suffer any notable speed issues. I’ve gone through the Hydra and the colossus while changing the image quality constantly. Man, the -1 quality is like Youtube on 240p or worse. At least it’s still playable.
Of course, the frame-rate is not the best, but works well. No problems with input, even in QTE sequences. I believe people are only gonna have trouble with some bosses on the higher difficulties since the reaction time is super short, but that is expected. Is it going to be improved a bit more in the future or is it the best this system can do?
After playing the Origins Collection on the PS3 and the original Collection via Remote Play, I am expecting a Vita entry of the series with similar or superior quality. Don’t disappoint me, Sony!

+ Robbie_G_lrish on September 5th, 2012 at 11:19 am said:

@71 I hate this argument. Yes, hackers have enabled remote play but all of the games are completely unplayable. That means what they’ve done is entirely useless. These games that Sony has patched legitimately work. That means every game is probably going to have to be patched individually.

+ angibri2000 on September 5th, 2012 at 11:35 am said:

I don’t believe the Ico collection patch is out yet. Can you guys confirm? I tried Shadow (digital version) and it didn’t work.

+ Undrey on September 5th, 2012 at 11:37 am said:

@81 Nope, the patch isn’t out yet. I guess it will come out during this week.

+ Scourge003 on September 5th, 2012 at 11:40 am said:

I admit that when I got my Vita a couple of months ago, I was concerned about the amount I was spending. But since that day, my Vita’s value has gone up. PS One classics (Loving Dragoon), Online play works great, I’ve discovered how amazing the Party App is. Treasure Park shows a lot of potential (free!), and the announcement of Cross Buy will be the most compelling reason for people to get Vita’s and discover how great this thing is. I am VERY happy with mine and very excited for the direction Sony is taking with PS3 and Vita.

+ S-A-Z-A-R on September 5th, 2012 at 11:45 am said:

Love the idea behind this sony. try to find other games to do this with Street fighter x Tekken and Mortal Kombat might be good ideas talk to the devlopers and see if you can give more titles this option .

+ Emerald_Swords on September 5th, 2012 at 11:54 am said:

God Of War works very well with the vita, keep on adding more games please!

+ JoeTheBeast16 on September 5th, 2012 at 12:05 pm said:

Now if only I could play Killzone 3 through remote play like I was shown when the Vita was announced.
That would be wonderful :)

+ boomstickbhg on September 5th, 2012 at 12:09 pm said:

About bloody time you actualy put into use the main feature advertised for the Vita (when I bought it).

Very little, very late, and very dissapointing there isn’t a lot more (all/most games was the whole point of the Vita remote play).

I’m glad we finally get something at least, even if it’s only to play collections of PS2 HD remakes.

Doesn’t look good for being able to play real PS3 games remotely at this point if PS2 remasters took them this long.

So in summary, about 6 months after launch you’re finally starting to support a main feature of the Vita.

And it can barely handle PS2 HD remakes… Killzone 3 was being demo’d remote play a year ago… Hackers have proven remote play works on other games… but sony can’t even make their own devices work as advertised.

A very small step but at least it’s the right direction.

+ Ice21 on September 5th, 2012 at 12:21 pm said:

NOW THAT’S WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!!!!! we need to hear ps vita updates like these!!!!! gonna do this when i get home.

+ guitarded77 on September 5th, 2012 at 1:05 pm said:

This is Sofa King awesome!!! Keep it up guys… now if I could just figure out how to connect the Vita to the wireless WPA… really having trouble with this.

+ Kazooie_77 on September 5th, 2012 at 1:07 pm said:

sorry to say sony you took too long I sold my vita weeks ago and I do not think I’ll be buy one any time soon.

+ Goddess_Katheryn on September 5th, 2012 at 1:16 pm said:

Wait, are you saying I could play Shadow of the Colossus anywhere now…!?

Could my Vita get ANY better this month? Thank you so much! Definitely a step in the right direction, Sony.
Excuse me while I beat giants now. :)

+ Viksmart on September 5th, 2012 at 1:21 pm said:

Hey Guys, I have a question regarding the remote play feature. I have a PS3 3D Display and I was wondering if I will be able to Remote Play the Ico/ Sotc collection in 3D?

I figured since everything is rendered on the ps3 and the image is just tranferred via the network to the vita it should technically work. I mean, I think it would be awesome to play it in 3D with the glasses when I’m lounging on my bed in the other room.

Thanks- Vik

+ ASC2175 on September 5th, 2012 at 1:27 pm said:

Damm, I needs to rent those.

+ ASC2175 on September 5th, 2012 at 1:28 pm said:

Damm, I needs to rent ICO SOTC Collection again.

+ ryan1701e on September 5th, 2012 at 1:33 pm said:

Wow! Thanks Sony! i tested this out, and I thought it worked great. Now I can get a few of those trophies knocked out when my wife watches the TV. I also, very maturely, showed it to my kids and said “Don’t see your lame DS doing this, does it?” Yeah. I’m a jerk.

+ Dominus_Seph on September 5th, 2012 at 1:56 pm said:

Ok, I’ll check this out when I get home.
Glad to see one of the main features of the Vita is getting implemented….albeit 6 months after launch….
I hope that we can see some more Remote Play coming in the future, and not just the HD collections. You advertised PS3 Games in Remote Play, so let’s see some update on that please!

+ Heavenly_king on September 5th, 2012 at 2:02 pm said:

I will try this, but I think it would be better to have the HD collections developed for the VITA :D

Don Mesa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on September 5th, 2012 at 2:04 pm said:

Hello everyone!

I apologize for the confusion, but ICO & Shadow of the Colossus patch will go live at 8:00PM US Pacific time today. Please wait for a little more and you’ll be able to play tonight!

+ U_P_S on September 5th, 2012 at 2:26 pm said:

Thanks Sony and Don this is one feature that will make the Vita a more valuable device, hope that more games are added to the list to support this feature, GTA4 maybe? PS Vita and PS3’s relationship is important to the future of PlayStation.

+ Spidey-guy on September 5th, 2012 at 2:38 pm said:

@98 haha.

Hey I NEED to know this ASAP/NOW (please)…

Does to new “God of War Saga (all five games)” version work? I know it would only be GoW 1 & 2 that may..but DO THEY?

I have $15.00 credit w/ Amazon and can get the GoW collection (1 & 2 only) for $20.00 – or for another 20 bucks ($40.00) get the new GoW Saga.

I would really like to get the PSP games on my PS3 (already have the PSP vers.- and GoW 3- and the PS2 vers of one and two)- but would rather have the Remote Play with my Vita.

So does it work? Please help- got about 2 hours left that I can order to get it (one or the other) tomorrow!

TANKS!