LittleBigPlanet 3

Watch The Last of Us PAX Theater Gameplay Demo in HD

Eric Monacelli's Avatar + Posted by Eric Monacelli on Sep 05, 2012 // Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

Pax Prime was a blast! We were amped to publicly show off our behind-closed-doors gameplay demo of The Last of Us that only a very select few media members saw at E3. If you weren’t able to make it out to Seattle we don’t want to leave you out (or leave you watching someone’s illicit shaky-cam YouTube video) so here it is:

This demo highlights narrative exploration through interactive prompts, environmental puzzles, the balance of power AI, and some of the dynamic stealth elements you’ll be able to use to plan Joel and Ellie’s survival. How many resources are at your disposal? Do you go offensive or defensive? You’ll have to keep calm, think, and rely on your partner, Ellie, as you survive and make your way westward.

We can’t thank you enough for the reception we’ve received so far for The Last of Us. At PAX Prime, we had some awesome conversations, saw some amazing things, and met some truly dedicated fans. You guys and gals make all our hard work that much more rewarding – thank you.

PAGE 1 2

+ Seruh_ on September 5th, 2012 at 8:31 am said:

Pretty sure GOTY 2013 will be between this and Beyond: Two Souls

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on September 5th, 2012 at 9:05 am said:

Thanks! That’s quite a compliment! Can’t wait to show you more!

+ roobieroo on September 5th, 2012 at 8:40 am said:

I can’t wait to see more of how much control players have over various game situations. This was very different than the previously released game play for the same location and both were tense, scary and adrenaline filled. This game looks so amazing that my biggest fear is that it will only last about five or 10 hours.

+ FearMonkey on September 5th, 2012 at 8:41 am said:

So is it possible to get through the whole game without killing anybody? I would love the challenge of such a playthrough. :)

+ supermoc10 on September 5th, 2012 at 8:42 am said:

This looks amazing! It could easily surpass Uncharted.

+ Bcrazyman on September 5th, 2012 at 8:43 am said:

THIS IS REALLY AWSOME CANT WAIT FOR THIS GAME THIS IS REALLY AWSOME AND SICK! AT THE SAME TIME U GUYS ARE REALLY GOOD AT WHAT YOU DID!

+ LilWayneSuckz on September 5th, 2012 at 8:51 am said:

Amazing. Can’t wait

+ kamiflajhe on September 5th, 2012 at 8:51 am said:

Looks great.

+ D-Squad3 on September 5th, 2012 at 8:52 am said:

Finally!!! 2013 GOTY

+ Draco416 on September 5th, 2012 at 8:58 am said:

I’m really big into artistic games now, so this, Dishonored, Tomb Raider and Beyond are at the top of my list. GOTY 2013.

+ LordRaoh on September 5th, 2012 at 9:00 am said:

Just tried to view this on my ps vita, after signing in to the blog and then to youtube I get greeted by a message that says

“The Adobe Flash Player or an HTML5 supported browser is required for video playback.”

Maybe the vita should take you to the youtube app when you click on a blog video?

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on September 5th, 2012 at 9:06 am said:

That’s a good idea. Mention it over in the PS forums.

+ ZalAamir on September 5th, 2012 at 9:11 am said:

this game’s preview videos should come with a health warning- PLEASE REMEMBER TO BREATH.

cos i lost my breath a few times watching it :D

+ LordRaoh on September 5th, 2012 at 9:15 am said:

OK, just watched the video on my pc.

OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!

I wish this was a holiday 2012 release. I want this game in my Playstation 3 now.

+ crazy_kracker1 on September 5th, 2012 at 9:22 am said:

I so can’t wait for this game is out will be up countless hours until it is beat.

+ Shin-Ra on September 5th, 2012 at 9:41 am said:

The level of detail is fantastic, really grimy and some nice animations like the swinging sign when boosting Ellie, hand-on-wall fondling, facial blood dripping and molotov fuel seen previously. Really love the diffused shadows when in shade, too.

My only reasonable complaints are about the jaggy shadows and inconsistent AA, especially noticeable in direct sunlight, the same as Uncharted 3. Shadows from the flashlight already seem much better than Uncharted 3′s though.

Anyway, I appreciate you showing gameplay demos running on PS3, even if it’s not up to the standard you expect to ship yet. None of the “running on PS3-level PC hardware” *six years* into the hardware lifespan nonsense.

+ MarinoBrea on September 5th, 2012 at 9:52 am said:

Please come out before May, PLEASE!

+ snakeeyes211 on September 5th, 2012 at 9:52 am said:

Wow can’t wait for the game:-) looks so amazing great job naughty dog you guys rock.I’m going to go pay off the game right now. Here’s my wallet have my money;-)

+ kilburni86 on September 5th, 2012 at 10:06 am said:

The amount of pride you guys at Naughty Dog take in your work is so unbelievably present in every game, advertisement, or clip you put out. This demo gave me chills. I absolutely can’t wait for this game to release so I can get lost in it for a few days.

One suggestion, though: It’s time to go radio-silent on this one. I don’t know anyone who needs to see more than the E3/PAX Demos to warrant a purchase of The Last of Us when it comes out next year. Hopefully January 1st.

+ Ryumoau on September 5th, 2012 at 10:18 am said:

meh…

+ helbertpina on September 5th, 2012 at 10:24 am said:

Naughty Dog has gained my respect (and my money) with the Uncharted series, and it looks like my wallet will keep on bleeding… Congrats to the devs on the phenomenal job they’re doing!

* PS. – Still wish it would support 3D… :(

+ Zacky-V-A7X on September 5th, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

AWESOME!! Can’t wait for the 2013 GOTY!

+ Xabdos on September 5th, 2012 at 10:30 am said:

Competing agains Watch Dogs and especially MGS : ground zeros is tough, but I’m sure you’ll surprise us with more, the titles of ‘GOTY 2013′ is going to be really hard, but I’m sure this game can do it.

+ Heavenly_king on September 5th, 2012 at 10:33 am said:

Between this game, GOW: Ascension and Ground Zeroes is the GOTY 2013

This game is so AWESOME!!!

+ Berae on September 5th, 2012 at 10:42 am said:

I just CANT wait!!!

+ lisatsunami on September 5th, 2012 at 10:43 am said:

D*ammit, ND, you made me look! I swore I’d go on total media blackout on this certain GOTY because I’ve already seen too much, but I can’t help it. This was best clip yet as it shows off how you can make different choices and play the same area differently.

I’m betting the other developers sneak into your demos and their jaws drop when they see how Team ND can squeeze every last drop of awesomeness out of the PS3.

OK, now for sure I refuse to watch your next video from TGS, I mean it this time!

PS: Troy Baker is great. He perfectly projects old, grizzled, world-weary and grimey.

+ Shadowsteal on September 5th, 2012 at 10:55 am said:

Please Naughty Dog NO 3D!!! We all know Uncharted 3 would look as good as Last of Us if it didn’t support 3D. Kepp doing what you’re doing make this game look amazing despite being run on 6 years old hardware. Don’t even think twice about 3D. You guys made the right decision not to support it.

+ TwinDad on September 5th, 2012 at 10:58 am said:

Great and you don’t have to wait two hours in line to watch it.

I’m on media blackout for this title until I buy it. Uncharted 3 was spoiled for me by too much media. I felt I didn’t get as much suspense out of the game because of all the trailers.

+ amjr72 on September 5th, 2012 at 11:15 am said:

Absolutely incredible, the way he approaches the enemies at the beggining is much more stealthy and the exploration and open level design is better demonstrated this time. And the detail is stunning, Naughty Dog’s art direction is so boss.

two things that bug me a little are the UI and that you can take quite a few bullets, i hope there’s an option to turn off the UI and a ‘survival mode’ similar to I Am Alive where the game is less forgiving.

+ xxThe_Fuhrer-xx on September 5th, 2012 at 11:16 am said:

Oh My God. That was great to watch. Can’t Wait

+ Knackered on September 5th, 2012 at 11:20 am said:

When is the release date for this game? I MUST HAVE IT

+ tulaib_100 on September 5th, 2012 at 11:25 am said:

0_0 Amazing truly amazing …

+ Ryusennin on September 5th, 2012 at 11:35 am said:

Looks like Naughty Dog is a whole generation ahead of the new Tomb Raider… again!

+ CrusaderForever on September 5th, 2012 at 11:45 am said:

Naughty Dog has to be from the future! Everything they touch looks like they know exactly what all gamers want. That was a true joy to watch. I have been hiding and not looking at anything Last of Us due to me wanting to be completely surprised. I couldn’t help it anymore and I have to say it exceeded all my expectations. PS4! Who needs a PS4! The PS3 looks like it’s doing just fine. Well done Naughty Dog, well done! I cannot wait to throw money at this game D1P!

+ RydogV on September 5th, 2012 at 12:37 pm said:

Tease me. Please me. And make me beg for more :)

+ cosmis_chaos on September 5th, 2012 at 12:45 pm said:

If this is how the human scavengers react , I am scared to see how the monsters react. I don’t even want to think about what will happen if they attack you head on or realize that you are in the room.

+ RHICTKY on September 5th, 2012 at 12:57 pm said:

@25

In Uncharted 3 switching to 3D mode downgrades the graphics slightly from what normal mode can achieve.
The Last of Us looks so good because they have had more time to improve on the engine, not because there is no 3D option.

+ K3ViNPwNz- on September 5th, 2012 at 1:20 pm said:

DAmn I was scared when that guy went running/hiding from joel.I thought one of them infected was gonna show up at anytime.The graphics are great and already look better than uncharted 3.

+ J_Blaze2000 on September 5th, 2012 at 2:37 pm said:

I can not wait for this game. Sony and Naughty Dog have truly put together something magical. This game will revolutionize the way games are played, created, and viewed by everyone in the industry and gamer’s around the world. 2013 will be the start of something big for gaming and we can only thank one of the greatest company’s around. Naughty Dog thank you for being a Sony exclusive.

Here’s to Naughty Dog owning 2013

*I was lucky enough to run into Ashley Johnson at Comic-con ’12 on the exhibit hall floor, she’s the greatest and glad you guys choose such a amazing actress. *thumbs up*

+ shadysaiyanz on September 5th, 2012 at 3:11 pm said:

Can’t wait to get this game and just buy everything that i would have to play to get or just buy an add-on that makes it so there’s no enemies and it’s super easy! No respect left for Naughty Dog after this Ucharted 3 “DLC” BS

+ DavisTheDarkest on September 5th, 2012 at 3:15 pm said:

Hi Eric, great trailer! Outstanding, is one of the most ambitious games I have ever seen. Keep rockin’ ND ;)

Can you say if there will be also the possibility to eliminate the “glowing” of the objects?

+ Bombthroat on September 5th, 2012 at 4:31 pm said:

Wow, totally stunned by the innovative gameplay! Naughty Dog does not disappoint.

Keep up the great work ND!

+ Destinystarx on September 5th, 2012 at 5:11 pm said:

2013 is gonna be an awesome year.

+ crazy_kracker1 on September 5th, 2012 at 5:39 pm said:

There is some sites saying December 31st of this year.

+ Heatseeker125 on September 5th, 2012 at 6:20 pm said:

@42, December 31st is just a common placeholder date used by retailers.

+ MythicKnightStar on September 5th, 2012 at 6:26 pm said:

Can u make the last of us come out on the PS Vita to is an awesome game and i totally can’t wait to play it but i will get black ops 2 getting it on christmas on my PS3

+ nampad on September 5th, 2012 at 7:21 pm said:

Great demo but please consider making the glowing objects optional.

+ JnF_Gho5t on September 5th, 2012 at 8:39 pm said:

Naughty Dog sure doesn’t disappoint. The Last of Us looks amazing.

+ Kchow23 on September 5th, 2012 at 10:07 pm said:

I won’t watch the trailer because I’ve already pre-ordered and I am already sold. Any way that those that couldn’t go to PAX could have a chance at winning some swag?

+ driftersgonewild on September 6th, 2012 at 6:36 am said:

Simply…Wow!!
Tell me why Ellie reminds me of Ellen Page (Juno) ? lol

+ xFuzylilManPeach on September 6th, 2012 at 8:05 am said:

When Joel and Ellie first see the bandit guys on the roof you hear one of them say that these infected are called “clickers” hmmmm…
Im soooo anxious to see what the combat will be like with these things. What are they? How did this infection start???

Happy ive got it pre-ordered!

+ Sparkz92 on September 6th, 2012 at 8:53 am said:

I’m pretty convinced this will be the game i’ll remember this gen for. Gunplay, AI, graphics, animation…freaking everything looks amazing here.

PAGE 1 2