Uncharted 4

God of War’s Top 5 Epic Moments: Number Five — Destroying Zeus and Cronos

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar + Posted by Aaron Kaufman on Sep 07, 2012 // Community Strategist, Santa Monica Studio

God of War III: Cronos

Every God of War fan remembers the first time they unleashed the Blades of Chaos. Amidst a catastrophic storm on a ship sailing on the Aegean Sea, players led Kratos toward the Gates of Athens, where he would begin his journey to seek out and destroy the God of War, Ares. It was in these first minutes of the original God of War that Kratos encountered the Hydra — a gargantuan sea serpent that explodeed through the ship, wreaking havoc for Kratos with every step. Not on this day. Kratos utterly beat the crud out of the Hydra in a series of epic clashes, culminating with a journey into the Hydra’s throat to retrieve the Captains Key. That’s God of War, and that… was the first of many unfathomably epic moments experienced in the God of War franchise.

We recently asked our God of War Facebook fans “What is your favorite God of War epic moment of all-time”, in an effort to establish God of War’s top five epic moments, as determined by the fans of the series.
The Hydra battle in the first God of War, Kratos’ many trips to Hades, getting impaled by Ares from a mile away in Pandora’s Temple, the Colossus of Rhodes battle in God of War II, chasing Hermes in God of War III… these are all epic moments that almost made the top five, but just missed the cut.

To celebrate the release of the God of War: Saga, we are going to do a weekly countdown of your top five God of War epic moments. You may be surprised at the rankings, so let the debate ensue as we begin with #5!

God of War’s Most Epic Moments Ever
  1. The Death of Ares
  2. Kratos vs. Hercules
  3. The Brutal Death of Poseidon
  4. Brothers in Arms
  5. Destroying Zeus and Cronos

59 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ Nintendo451 on September 7th, 2012 at 10:03 am said:

I don’t know what the official list will be, but I think my most epic moment was in the opening level of God of War III. Once you beat down Poseidon, the moment where you are about to make the final blow and you click in both L3 & R3 to…..just…. man. That was the moment that I knew the game was going to put in places I hadn’t been before.

+ EdoSpeedo on September 7th, 2012 at 10:15 am said:

My guess has to be Kratos ripping Helios’ head off with his bare hands. That happened in the demo for GOW3 and secured my pre-order.

+ Butters360 on September 7th, 2012 at 10:22 am said:

As a fan who is currently playing through the saga for the first time, these videos make me salivate in anticipation in getting to those moments. Kratos FTW!

+ helbertpina on September 7th, 2012 at 10:28 am said:

That was my guess! :)

+ polodinio1234 on September 7th, 2012 at 10:29 am said:

If you look at the pure epic combat of the game I should suggest god of war 3 to be number one.That game was the most epic,bloody,hardcore game I’ve ever played

+ crimand on September 7th, 2012 at 10:35 am said:

these two epic moments combined only came in 5? I wonder what I’m forgetting about the series, the Cronos fight on it’s own would be my number 1. I have a save as close as possible to just before that fight so I can show friends what they’ve been missing if they don’t have the game or a PS3.

+ krae_man on September 7th, 2012 at 10:41 am said:

Hydra battle better be #1. Every game had tried to top that battle and none have come close.

+ Heavenly_king on September 7th, 2012 at 10:44 am said:

@7: GOW2 GOW3 have surpassed that by A LOT. Poseidon battle was OUTSTANDING!!!

+ AdamMosh on September 7th, 2012 at 10:47 am said:

top 5 PS Blog? maybe there are a hundred epic moments in God Of War history and agree with the guy above Cronos fight is number one not five.

+ Zhi13 on September 7th, 2012 at 11:14 am said:

Cronos #5!? MMM cant wait to see the other ones..

+ IzoGray on September 7th, 2012 at 11:15 am said:

I think the opening to GOW3 is number 1. It’s the most memorable scene out of any game.

2. would be finally killing Ares

+ D-Squad3 on September 7th, 2012 at 11:19 am said:

I’m confused why does number five consist of 2 moments?

And nothing beats Poseidon in God of War III.

+ X_BLOW_JINN on September 7th, 2012 at 11:20 am said:

the most thrilling and unexpected moment is when Kratos killed him self, putting an end to an epic vengeful tormented soul.
It should be #1

+ NEJI64 on September 7th, 2012 at 11:24 am said:

GOW2 When Kratos takes Icarus wings while free falling.

+ KnightTaika on September 7th, 2012 at 11:28 am said:

Well considering they made #5 a set of killing both Cronos AND Zeus I can only imagine that the rest will be some sort of combination. Brutally killing all the rest of the gods has got to be in here. The battle with Posideon and the QTE being from his perspective making me cringe with each correct button cause it felt like Kratos was kicking my ass. Hermes; that image is burnt into my mind watching Kratos slowly cut his legs off as you mashed down on the circle.

+ snakeeyes211 on September 7th, 2012 at 11:31 am said:

Helios Getting his head ripped off is pretty epic

+ krae_man on September 7th, 2012 at 11:34 am said:

@Heavenly_king

Nope, Athena Statue and Poseidon are easily runners up to the Hydra. I’ll give you that the scale in the Poseidon battle was awesome but they are still just attempts to recreate the awesomeness of God of War 1′s opening that fall short.

+ snakeeyes211 on September 7th, 2012 at 11:35 am said:

But at the end I think there should’ve been a top 10 there’s so many good moments

+ D-Squad3 on September 7th, 2012 at 11:51 am said:

@17 That was a Helios Statue

+ BurningManes on September 7th, 2012 at 11:59 am said:

Bashing the petty Zeus like a boss!

+ marvel83 on September 7th, 2012 at 12:15 pm said:

Technically that was Destroying Zeus, Cronos, and Gaia. I agree with everyone else, how is this #5? I would have thought the Fire Minotaur or the Colossus of Rhodes would be #5

+ krae_man on September 7th, 2012 at 12:39 pm said:

Oops, my bad.

+ MarinoBrea on September 7th, 2012 at 12:40 pm said:

This top 5 is very difficult to do for GOW3 ! I think the great battle between the Titans and the Gods of Olympus (GOW2) AND the ending of God of War 2 should be on either the TOP 1 or 2 spots. But I have second thoughts about that Battle of Titans vs God ’cause Kratos is not part of it.

..and then I can’t leave out the time he made the pact with Ares and got chained! That is just so epic and a paramount part of the story! that one and when he opened the Pandora’s Box and got the power to kill a GOD for the first time. One of these two should definitely be NUMBER 1 !!!

+ MarinoBrea on September 7th, 2012 at 12:42 pm said:

^heh, that should read “This top 5 is very difficult to do for GOW (series)! I had 3 in my mind after watching that epic video :P

+ Jimmy_Tsiakalos on September 7th, 2012 at 1:01 pm said:

Well my top moment would be either when you finish the battle with the Colossus, and Zeus stabs Kratos with the Blade of Olympus in GoW 2 or the ending of GoW 3 when Kratos suicides with the Blade of Olympus, releasing hope to all mankind.

+ KwietStorm on September 7th, 2012 at 1:08 pm said:

God of War I. Final Boss Battle. Dream Sequence. God Mode. Anyone who did this, knows no explanation is needed, and this was long before trophies.

+ spideykidd123 on September 7th, 2012 at 1:14 pm said:

I would have to say when Kratos is fighting Zeus. That was pretty awesome and it gave me a thrill. It’s hard to find video games these days that get your actual blood pumping. The GOW saga has always done that for me.

+ onslaughtree on September 7th, 2012 at 1:36 pm said:

I actuall loved the Battle with Hercules alot.

+ MarinoBrea on September 7th, 2012 at 1:40 pm said:

@KwietStorm

I did it. :) I don’t think there’s a trophy for that.

+ All4mulisha on September 7th, 2012 at 2:03 pm said:

When Sony Santa Monica started making God of War DUH. But Sony Santa Monica is more of an epic moment for everyone rather then just for the franchise.

+ YungShep on September 7th, 2012 at 2:08 pm said:

well..considering i’ve played them all. even the 2 psp iterations. and to place the Cronos/Zeus fight at #5…clearly indicates that there’s more awesomeness from #4- #1 really interested in this list. i would put the statue athena sequence in the top 5! that was an epic scene, cutting Hermes leg, lol and fighting Hercules all epic moments in my mind. zeus fight in GOW 2 was pretty epic too.

+ cosmis_chaos on September 7th, 2012 at 2:11 pm said:

Finishing off the Colossus, killing and locking away the Fates and finishing off Ares with the giant sword

+ Nitrosonic0 on September 7th, 2012 at 2:16 pm said:

How about the fight between Kratos and Hercules in GOW3? It was truly epic when Kratos used the Nemean Cetus to bash Hercules’ face in.

+ Migs0606 on September 7th, 2012 at 2:22 pm said:

nah i think the most epic momment in god of war is in all three games when he bangs all them chicks ;D

+ fenyks on September 7th, 2012 at 3:47 pm said:

Ok ! Un combat contre Zeus lui-même en 5ième place, ça semble difficile à battre.

- Néanmoins, l’affrontement face à Perséphone à la fin de Chains of olympus et le dialogue qui scellera la destiné d’Atlas est très profonde.
- Le choix difficile de Kratos de devoir laisser sa fille, Calliope, à l’Élysée pour affronter Perséphone est tous aussi poignant.

Ok ! It’s no easy to beat à 5th place with a battle against Zeus.
- But, The final fight against Persephone at the end of “Chains of Olympus” and the dialog with Atlas who understant than he must accept the sentence is very acute.
- The difficult choice for Kratos to leave her dauthger, Calliope, to Elysée for fighting Persephone is also very sad

+ Brenden567 on September 7th, 2012 at 4:00 pm said:

Kronos is suposed to spelled with a K not a a C

+ Loki_344 on September 7th, 2012 at 4:41 pm said:

I thought that the part in God of War 2 where Kratos called out Zeus right before the Kraken boss fight was quite the epic moment. One of the only times Kratos showed an emotion other than blood lust.

+ Victorkbk on September 7th, 2012 at 5:34 pm said:

ithink the most epic moment in gow history was the death of poseidon he was masacred by Kratos in the best way ever

+ Nitrosonic0 on September 7th, 2012 at 6:31 pm said:

@34

“he bangs all them chicks” in all five of the GOW games. The fight with Hercules is much more epic than that.

+ Kud_Hangar18 on September 7th, 2012 at 7:17 pm said:

Kratos’ Falcon-Punch against Poseidon!? Nothing beats that.

+ Omegaindian84 on September 7th, 2012 at 9:20 pm said:

Hercules is by far the best boss i have seen
Hades & Zeus & Poseidon are great bosses but, there is nothing better then taking your half-brother down a peg or two

+ MAC-DADDY-REGGIE on September 7th, 2012 at 10:17 pm said:

hercules beatdown
no grown man should ever get their ass kicked that hard lol

+ amey23deoxys on September 7th, 2012 at 10:17 pm said:

I think that the Ending of GOW2 was the most epic moment in the GOW series.

+ GhostMachine1 on September 8th, 2012 at 12:50 am said:

I agree with #2.

+ CDG_COUPDEGRACE on September 8th, 2012 at 3:14 am said:

sweet

+ CrazySasquatch- on September 8th, 2012 at 4:38 am said:

Number 1 should defiantly be the Poseidon battle. I remember playing it and my jaw just dropped. Best opening boss in any game! Number 2 Hercules.

+ Rapha_SPFC on September 8th, 2012 at 9:33 am said:

I enjoyed a lot the part that you have do defeat the sisters of fate, in God of War II, before they destroy the blade that you use to defeat Ares in God of War I. That scene where a little Kratos is fighting with them at the same time that the big Kratos is fighting against Ares is amazing!!! But there is a lot of another scenes…

+ chris4ever04 on September 8th, 2012 at 10:28 am said:

GOW is such an EPIC series there are literally hundreds of scenes that fall under the amazing category ,one of my favorites is the ripping of the head with his bare hands that just shocked everyone

+ MR_SUPREME69 on September 8th, 2012 at 10:42 am said:

God of War is the most epic series ever!! God of War 3 is beautiful!

+ Heavenly_king on September 8th, 2012 at 11:39 am said:

For me it should be this way:

TOP 5 EPIC MOMENTS:

1) When Poseidon shows up, and you fight against him. GOW3
2) Hercules / Zeus / Chronos Battle. GOW3
3) Fighting Thanatos with Deimos´s help. GOW: GoS
4) Fighting the Sisters of Fate, specially the part against Atropos. GOW2
5) Saving your Family against lots of Evil Kratos. GOW1

Honorable mention:
The moment Kratos leaves her daughter in order to save her / Fighting Persephone with the help of Atlas. GOW:CoO

PAGE 1 2