GTAV PS4

PlayStation Plus Update: Free Double Dragon Neon and Scott Pilgrim, Early Jet Set Radio Access

Morgan Haro's Avatar + Posted by Morgan Haro on Sep 10, 2012 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

We’ve got a lot cooking for PlayStation Plus members this week with Double Dragon Neon and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World joining the Instant Game Collection, among other great perks. Read on to learn more!

September 11th PlayStation Plus Update

Double Dragon Neon

Free for PlayStation Plus Members (Regular Price: $9.99, PS Plus Price: Free)
After 25 years, the original beat ‘em up is bringing pure over-the-top baditude to PSN, and it’s free for PlayStation Plus members on its first day of release! In Double Dragon Neon, Billy and Jimmy are kicking butts and taking names as they search for their girlfriend Marian (she seems to have a habit of getting kidnapped). This time, her disappearance is at the hands of the supernatural scourge, Skullmageddon! Face off against a gaggle of goons, some familiar (Williams, Linda, and Abobo, of course!) and some that are absolutely out of this world.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game

Free for PlayStation Plus Members (Regular Price: $9.99, PS Plus Price: Free)
This adaptation captures all the fun and style of the critically acclaimed Scott Pilgrim comics, and the humor of the revered movie, and distills it into a retro-influenced side scrolling beat em’ up, complete with 4-player co-op. With awesome 16-bit animation by world-famous pixel artist Paul Robertson, and a hyper-active soundtrack from chiptune heroes Anamanaguchi, it’s hard not to love Scott Pilgrim, and now you can play it as part of the Instant Game Collection.

PlayStation Plus Update

Jet Set Radio

Exclusive Early Access for PlayStation Plus Members and 10% off (Regular Price: $9.99, PS Plus Price: $8.99)
SEGA’s new release of the classic Dreamcast title is hitting PlayStation Plus users first! Get it a week before anyone else, and play all the levels while listening to those classic JSR phat beatz (complete with the original world-wide soundtrack) that made this title a true original. This time, of course, you get it with full Trophy support, sharp HD visuals, and you’ll be the first to play it on current-gen consoles.

Max Payne 3 PS3 Full Game and Bundle

33% off for PlayStation Plus Members (Game – Regular Price: $59.99, PS Plus Price: $40.49; Bundle: Regular Price: $67.49, PS Plus Price: $60.74)
Rockstar’s gritty, action packed noir thriller Max Payne 3 arrived to critical acclaim earlier this year. If you haven’t had a chance to play it yet, now may be the perfect time. It arrives on PSN with this week’s update as a PS3 Full Game, and while there will be a 25% discount for all PSN members on the game, Plus members can grab it for an even better deal at 33% off — just $40.49. You can also buy the bundle complete with the Rockstar Pass, a value of $89.98, for $60.74.

That’s it for now, check back with us next week when we’ll have more PlayStation Plus news to share! In the meantime, leave your comments and thoughts on Plus below, or join the conversation on the PlayStation Forums in the Plus section.

PlayStation Plus Update

Get PlayStation Plus

+ SRGNT_559 on September 10th, 2012 at 10:38 pm said:

XD PS+

+ surf1der on September 10th, 2012 at 10:41 pm said:

Hopefully this game collection will get better. The only game I have liked enough to finish is Infamous 2. The rest I haven’t been interested enough to play more than an hour or two. I haven’t played borderlands yet. That might interest me. Though it looks like europe is getting the games i prefer like motorstorm and red dead redemption. Hopefully it won’t be the 1 year anniversary of the game collection before there are more games I like. The program is what, 3 months old? Still early but hoping for better games soon to give me an excuse to renew ps+ next June.

+ God-Of-Lyf on September 10th, 2012 at 10:48 pm said:

I just picked up Max Payne 3 at Walmart last night for $40 so I think I’ll pass on the inflated digital release. But thx anyways for taking out the middle men and continuing to take in full price. Must make you feel good at the end of the day. The game is awesome though, so I will give it that!

+ ccanfield1 on September 10th, 2012 at 10:54 pm said:

Awesome ! I was interested in checking out Double Dragon because I am a fan of the original old school version. Now I can do more than just check it out !
I am also excited for Jet Set Radio. It’s one of my favorite Dreamcast games. (I still love that system) I really can’t wait to experience the new HD version with trophy support. Both of those new features have me eager to revisit an already excellent game.
I do wish the discount was a little better for Plus members for that game though. Not really a complaint, as much as this is feedback because it is the only thing giving me pause about purchasing right away. You probably would have guaranteed my purchase with 25-50%.

+ ccanfield1 on September 10th, 2012 at 10:57 pm said:

I already have Scott Pilgrim but it is a cool retro game. Great for anyone who hasn’t played it. Also, a fitting companion on a week that you give Double Dragon Neon.

+ HeathenAmerico on September 10th, 2012 at 10:57 pm said:

Wait… There is no Online Co-Op in Double Dragon? Urgghhh! WHY DO YOU GAME DEVELOPERS THING I HAVE FRIENDS IN REAL LIFE!? *cries*

+ df2506 on September 10th, 2012 at 10:58 pm said:

Kind of interested in checking out Double Dragon. I wasn’t a fan of the orignal, but Wayforward is doing this new one, so it might be good. At the price of FREE, it would be worth a look at least.

As for Scott Pilgrim, already downloaded that one long ago. Very good game but still was disappointed when I saw it was the other game…

Is there another update later in the month with more free content? Hope so. Also hoping we’ll hear about Plus members getting into the Playstation All-Stars beta soon. :)

+ epizzati on September 10th, 2012 at 11:00 pm said:

Does double dragon have online co op.? If so add me epizzati

+ gameperson23 on September 10th, 2012 at 11:09 pm said:

Yes!! Awesome free games! I was just thinking about buying Scott Pilgrim but good thing I didn’t!!

+ curt_ex on September 10th, 2012 at 11:18 pm said:

When are we getting the upgraded cloud and ps+ on the vita?

+ purse317 on September 11th, 2012 at 12:01 am said:

I thought we were going to get updates a little more in advance. Suppose some of us had brought scott pilgrim to get warmed up for DD. Like my friend did. Please get these notices up sooner like you had promised.

+ freshprincepbg on September 11th, 2012 at 12:10 am said:

I knew after Borderlands, it would go back to PSN titles, although Scott Pilgrim is ok. But if you’re gonna feed us bottom tier PSN games, can you at least give us PSOne Classics with it? That way it’ll be back like how Plus was before. Before every month we’d get about 3 PSN titles, at least 2 PS one classics, and a beta. We even got games like Far Cry 2 and Tomb Raider Underworld. Now its just 3 PSN titles, and a retail game every 3 months. Honestly I’m not seeing the upgrade. And it disappoints me seeing EU getting killer stuff like Red Dead Redempion, even their PSN games are better, I’d take Retro/Grade over this every day

+ Jisatsu_Kiddo on September 11th, 2012 at 12:29 am said:

you whiny , begging kids never amaze me any more.

+ Bigmoose1985 on September 11th, 2012 at 1:00 am said:

Any word on when Dragon Warrior (Quest) VII will be released on PSN?

+ iCandyBunny on September 11th, 2012 at 1:02 am said:

Whats with all these 2D sidescrolling kinda games :( im kinda getting sick of them, we need more horror games in my opinion

+ Capn-Clank on September 11th, 2012 at 1:13 am said:

Glad we are getting these since I already have Borderlands and its dlc. oh, and this is my first time on the playstation blog! :D

+ Guyper on September 11th, 2012 at 1:15 am said:

If it’s taking them nearly two years to release an online coop patch for Scott Pilgrim Vs the World, how long is that going to take for Double Dragon Neon Online patch then?

I recently came across a review that mentioned the game has only OFFLINE co-op for now. Unbelievable. They got us so hyped for nothing!

+ Darksleep69 on September 11th, 2012 at 2:16 am said:

This is gonna be AWESOME!

+ Monterossa on September 11th, 2012 at 4:14 am said:

BAGAWD!! STONE COLD!! STONE COLD!! I’ll try Double Dragon Neon. thanks for this update :)

+ Floydian218 on September 11th, 2012 at 4:26 am said:

Will Jet Set Radio be cross platform between the vita and ps3? I don’t really feel like paying twice (3 if you count Dreamcast) for a game even if it is among my favorites. Also how about some Skies of Arcadia for some Dreamcast love?

+ MaGz4KinGz on September 11th, 2012 at 4:58 am said:

Sweet!

+ donkeypunch12312 on September 11th, 2012 at 5:46 am said:

Heck yeah Scott Pilgrim VS THE WORLD! Im going to play that so much.

+ donkeypunch12312 on September 11th, 2012 at 5:47 am said:

Quick question in the future will we see any Call of Duty freebies for PS PLUS users. That would be a huge help for the people that love the Call of Duty series and can get for XBOX or computer.

+ GalP15 on September 11th, 2012 at 6:51 am said:

WTF is those lame games come onnn add normal games for god sake! im very disapointed from the us plus the eu is so much better…

+ UltimateDisco on September 11th, 2012 at 7:08 am said:

Everyone, calm down! The US PS+ does not suck in the slightest. Just because Europe is having a great month of Plus doesn’t mean the value of US’s Plus has gone down. So far this month, we’ve gotten Borderlands ($20), Double Dragon Neon ($10), and Scott Pilgrim the Game ($10) for free, 50% off of all Borderlands DLC (Savings of up to $25), early access to Jet Set Radio (And a 10% discount), exclusive demos, AND many other discounts on games and add-ons, and we are only 11 days into the month of September.

Morgan has said before that there will be plenty more Plus news this month, so stop freaking out and saying how much PS+ sucks. You know, you could be paying $50 a year just to play online. Be thankful that your PS+ subscription actually gets you LOADS of free games a year and tons of other content and discounts.

+ lorpee on September 11th, 2012 at 7:41 am said:

Nice update!

+ YoungSpade141 on September 11th, 2012 at 7:49 am said:

These games wont be available until 10 pm here in Florida-_-, im soo excited about JSRFHD, i think ps plus subscribers like me should be able to access like a premium store that we can get stuff as soon as it releases, or just hire me and ill dedicate myself to that ;)

+ igorrocks2 on September 11th, 2012 at 7:56 am said:

Max Paine 3 with DLC pass is waste of money!? Explain me how is that ???! Last time I checked my brain 39.99+29.99*1.12= 78+ bucks with Canadian tax you save almost 20 bucks on that + Canadian buck now high so I save even more lol

+ igorrocks2 on September 11th, 2012 at 8:02 am said:

Oh and if haha you buy it for.34.99 on top of that you have to pay online fee of 10 bucks yeah good luck on that cheap bastard :)

+ igorrocks2 on September 11th, 2012 at 8:09 am said:

I start to hate gamestop now days if only Sony reflect on current retail prices they would make billions because of sale price boost (ot selective deals but title wide) Oh and guys please fix LA Noire again now I cant even start to re-download it

+ igorrocks2 on September 11th, 2012 at 8:28 am said:

Also I have question to Sony PR team why are you guys don’t shine some light on Defiance MMO from Trion Worlds!? Is it top secret project?! Oh I am sorry i just made classified information public ;-D

+ Ryumoau on September 11th, 2012 at 8:35 am said:

I have little interest in sidescrollers so getting a crappy looking Double Dragon game and the overrated Scott Pilgrim kinda sucks. I’m also disappointed that we only get a $1 off Jet Set Radio. Whats the point of a discount like that?

+ truelove47 on September 11th, 2012 at 8:57 am said:

Hi Morgan i was just wondering if they will ever plan on bringing the scott pilgrim game to psn store for the vita?

+ gm914 on September 11th, 2012 at 8:58 am said:

Tick tick tick….
Counting down 23 days til my yearly subscription runs out, and this month is ANOTHER month where I already own 2 out of the 3 free games.

Seeing that this is the last of the free content this month already, it looks as if what ever is given out in October will be just a glorified demo for me, as I ll only have 2 days to play it.

October better knock my socks off, cause at the moment I’m getting ready to say goodbye to PS+ forever.

Or at least until this current collection has been entirely replaced. I don’t see the point in continuing to pay if the content is largely the same from month to month. Cloud saves I can really live without, and the deals aren’t nearly as good as they were.

Your move, Sony.

+ Apeman24 on September 11th, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

Does anyone have an extra PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royal beta code that they would not mind giving away to me?

+ therob21 on September 11th, 2012 at 9:36 am said:

Cool! I can’t wait to play Double Dragon Neon! I’m soooooo happy!! :D

+ Ryumoau on September 11th, 2012 at 9:51 am said:

@134, hopefully we’ll all be getting access to the beta soon.

+ PRIMUS_420 on September 11th, 2012 at 10:21 am said:

It needs to be september 25th now.

+ germix27 on September 11th, 2012 at 10:41 am said:

I would like to have a better game for free, But nice update!

+ alexisloki on September 11th, 2012 at 11:01 am said:

Does Scott Pilgrim & Double Dragon have trophies?

+ igorrocks2 on September 11th, 2012 at 11:01 am said:

@140

+ Polishin8r on September 11th, 2012 at 11:07 am said:

where are my ps2 classics ? You are sitting on a goldmine do smth with it before wii-u comes out hurry

+ Irishboy3173 on September 11th, 2012 at 11:10 am said:

what time does dd& scott pilgrim go on the store anyone know

+ Satair on September 11th, 2012 at 11:22 am said:

@Irishboy3173 – yeah that’s what I want to know – like is it just at a random time today when the playstation store updates with Double Dragon and such – I keep checking and nothing new

+ strangerman77 on September 11th, 2012 at 11:43 am said:

Wow what a shame nothing but junk this month, Borderlands is old and Neon and Scott are just crap. Eu gets a bunch of full games and we get these crap titles what a huge let down. Sony America is really dropping the ball for US players were is our Red dead, or Dead Space, or Motor storm. We just get crappy side scrollers what a joke I for one am getting closer and closer to canceling my plus!!!

+ sstfamily on September 11th, 2012 at 11:47 am said:

Man what a shame there is nothing good this month at all just a bunch of junk, this is getting lame. We havent got anything good like those guys across the pond.

+ Irishboy3173 on September 11th, 2012 at 12:03 pm said:

scott pilgrim is a good game iv played it five times over

+ sstfamily on September 11th, 2012 at 12:07 pm said:

I don’t like Scott Pilgrim in any media form cant stand it myself Canada can have him back IMO.

+ strangerman77 on September 11th, 2012 at 12:10 pm said:

I agree what a stupid story evil ex’s what a joke, US players are really getting the shaft.

+ Irishboy3173 on September 11th, 2012 at 12:11 pm said: